How much does a typical computer (on 5-7 hours a day) draw in watts?

How much does a typical computer (on 5-7 hours a day) draw in watts?

How can I measure what my computer is using in software? I'm running Linux.

use a measurer with the cpu on idle
use a measurer again while running some benchmark/real test
substract 1) from 2)

Look into a device called "Kill a watt" on Amazon. It's awesome and about $16 dollars. It's an invaluable tool for figuring out power draw, whether from your computer or your refrigerator.

As far as narrowing down software, I don't know. You'd have to figure out which processes are using the most CPU and guess that way.

Sauce?

That really depends on your computer. You could be sitting around 70W, or over 1000. I think my overclocked 7980XE and 1080Ti could draw up to 1kW under full load, and are somewhat around 150-200W under idle I guess. I'd actually also be curious what it draws.

because a kill-a-watt measures at the wall, it takes into account inefficiencies from the power supply.

set up a camera to read the values reported on the kill-a-watt at a specified interval, use image recognition in something like mat-lab, then write the values to a file or whatever you want to do from there.

Is there some software I can run that will accurately measure this?

I'm trying to figure out if cryptomining will be worth it. My CPU typically runs around 2-3% most of the day.

That face makes me wet.

lol, nevermind my method then, you're a fucking retarded cryptonigger.

A typical computer runs on around ~100w for just browsing and videos.

If you're doing that for 5 hours it would draw around 700 watts per 7 hours.

Cryptomining is not "typical" usage.

I know, that's why I want to measure the differences in power load

sorry about your GPU situation. No I'm not.

i bought a 1080 when they came out, i'm fine.

>taking a picture of a digital screen and then write software to determine what the screen is saying

Or you could just buy the wireless version of Kill a watt and have it report to your PC. Costs a little bit more but serves the purpose.

Anyways it sounds like OP only needs a few readings to get an idea about usage. Probably doesn't need active monitoring for an extended period.

>100w per hour equals 700w per 7 hours
holy shit you really are are a retarded faggot. watts are energy over time, retard. what you just said makes zero sense

SAUCE

>700 watts per 7 hours
m8

Source?

veruca james

Shouldn't the question be how many watt hours does a computer use in a day? Since watts are a measure of consumption rate?

As low as 60W when it's just sitting there and as much as 300W or a lot more when you're playing some demanding game. It does vary a whole lot.

A 3x 4k monitor setup will draw 100W in addition to what the computer draws.

You should go buy yourself a power-meter. You can get one that's good enough for $10-20, it's not a huge investment. "Accurate" ones are more expensive but who cares if you're drawing exactly 102.3W or it says 101 or 104 at 102.3W? I don't as long as I know if it's around 50 or 100 or 200W.

Never heard of "Kill a watt" before, looked it up and yes, that's what OP wants. Doesn't have to be that one, though, anything that's named "power meter" will probably do.

>150-200W under idle
That's a pretty high idle load. But it may not be, you know your system. It just seems like a lot.

>if cryptomining will be worth it
Find out what you're paying for electricity. My guess is that it's not worth it unless you live in a house and off-set it by turning other appliances off. Probably not worth it in an apartment where heating is included. Heat is a big bi-product. If you run a computer with a GPU mining with a power-draw of 400W and you turn a 400W oven off then it's basically free money. ....but margins are pretty tight, if electricity prices are high in your area and you don't need the free heat then you could end up mining at a loss.

You can see power consumption in watts with powertop. There's a /sys interface that reports it from the kernel, can't remember off the top of my head.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Yes. People are confusing W and Wh

My i5 3570k @ 3.9ghz undervolted with an r9 290 also undervolted, 1hdd 1ssd, 6 fans at 800rpm idles at 52w with the monitor off. 32in monitor at 5 brightness uses 30w.

Gaming uses about 230w typical load with my 50in TV and home theatre included.

Veruca James. I think it's one of her anal vids. Just reverse image search it.

Whats a reverse image search?

If you are using chrome, right click the image and press s. Otherwise, google/duckduckgo/bing it

Get a backup power supply. The decent ones will show real time power draw plus you have the benefits of a power backup.

My 4790k @ 4.7 GHz and a 390x draws about 120 watts on idle, and about 450 full load.

No one believes you.

>i think my mother is overcharging for my basement dungeon

Ty

Cuck

>If you're doing that for 5 hours it would draw around 700 watts per 7 hours.

Stop shitposting cunt

wow you weren't being sarcastic? I guess we all have to learn sometime. Still hard to believe that someone on Sup Forums doens't know what a "reverse image search" is

Sorry I'm just here to lesrn how to build a comp. Tired od shitty xbox. Normally on pol desu

Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you dumb fucking shit stain.

I've busted so many time to her. plz help.