I'm bored of windows, what Linux should I install?

I'm bored of windows, what Linux should I install?
I want something that allows my fingerprints reader to work, and isn't too difficult to use
Specs
HP-9470m
>I5 3427u
>8GB RAM
>128GB SSD
What does Sup Forums suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

matthieu.yiptong.ca/2017/04/01/new-hackintosh-hp-elitebook-folio-9470m/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ive been wondering if any Linux installs work with a laptop finger print reader

Depends on the manufacturer of the fingerprint device, some are supported.

The fingerprint reader is synaptics

>I am bored of an OS that just works and has tons of software that gets the job done.
>I want a half ass unfinished OS that will be a pain to install, needs to be screwed with constantly because it never works quite right and has a pathetic library of unfinished software.
Why?

Idk, just tired of using the same thing for so long, wanted to try out if Linux is as good as people say, if I don't like it I'll go back but if I like it I'll stay

Oh dude... make a hackintosh, OS X runs like a dream. 9470m user reporting in 10.13.3.

Ubuntu based distros should be able to have the fingerprint reader working easily with just a few package installs. When I had WattOS on my Thinkpad x61s I could use my fingerprint reader.

it's not, linux is a meme

>I'm bored of windows

Really, no-one?
>i-i-ins-s-st-stall g-g-gentoo...

A bullet in your brain

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I would but I don't want to go through the hassle, I've seen how much of a pain it is, and how easily an update can ruin it

Distros using GNOME always seemed to never have an issues with fingerprint reader support

>just tired of using the same thing for so long

Xubuntu

not like this anymore. Clover EFI makes it easy as shit. I've upgraded from 10.10 to 10.13 with noting past minor kext updates and a driver for apfs. No more configuration bullshit than a standard linux distro. The community is grand.

I mean, whatever you want really im just saying its comfy as fuck. If you ever get to it this is a good post about it with 3 different configurations for the different versions:
matthieu.yiptong.ca/2017/04/01/new-hackintosh-hp-elitebook-folio-9470m/

If you've never done a hackintosh, be sure to avoid unibeast/chimera. Clover EFI and some kexts is all you need for booting. hope you take the third way

ARCH
Definitely ARCH LINUX

GNU/Linux*

Ubuntu or Fedora

Well, since nobody actually gave me any reasons why I should choose a specific distro (just saying a name isn't enough) I'm giving openSUSE tumbleweed a try

Other than its wonky installer, Tumbleweed is great, same with Fedora

>Well, since nobody actually gave me any reasons

>microsoft shill

Try out debian. Gnome is very comfy.

debian net install with xfce-4-core or lxde

Above should fit nicely as I'm running similar specs (core2 rather than i5).
Put /home on separate drive/partition - mines on an ext usb encrypted with LUKS

comfy = lazy neet who avoids real life human interaction

Mint is pretty alright

>miss cleo.webm
>call me now
Do you happen to practice santaria?

He wants to try linux out. He's not cynical and paranoid yet.

Manjaro KDE

No Cuckonical

Arch Software without shit breaking (as long as you never reboot without $sudo pacman -Syyu for the first few months of usage)

Manjaro KDE flavor is as riced you need it, keyboard shortcuts aren't retarded like Kubuntu

And that's why people don't use linux.

You have an amazing system, you can try almost any distro.

I suggest crunchbag, really good and light weight.

>I suggest crunchbag

Why?
Suggest something better.

fedora

Get' em when they're young, I say...

>isn't too difficult to use

i use slackware but i would recommend ubuntu if it's your first distro. xubuntu or ubuntu mate is the best version. it's all free so don't expect much. you get what you pay for. pic related

>folio 9470m
man i hate those things
they take like 5 minutes to fully disassemble at work
hope you like your early fan failure, thats what that model is known for, user

>this is your brain on windows
If you compare Debian to Windows, all of what you said is true but the other way around. Windows is a buggy piece of shit with 100% authentic Pajeet Codeā„¢ everywhere. Debian is so rock solid they can use it in every critical system with no worries, like space. I'd drop Windows in a heartbeat if all my programs were made for Debian as well. It's the worst OS there is and that's even counting MacOS.

Mint is the best bet for everything just werking

crunchbag is dead

fedora gnome

if you want to learn Linux in peace go with mint Linux till you get a hang of command prompt do not download fedora or arch

>HP

>>I am bored of a half ass unfinished OS that will be a pain to install, needs to be screwed with constantly because it never works quite right and has a pathetic library of unfinished software.
Ah you mean the one that constantly needs patching (which you can't even opt out of now) and literally has a system folder which will happily fill your hdd with junk.
>>I want an OS that just works and has tons of software that gets the job done.
Like the 1 that most of the machines running the most used webserver on the planet run day in day out 24/7 365/yr. until someone eventually has to reboot them?

I'm just shitposting at this stage but fuck me your post made you look ignorant.

frakking cylons

reactos

Is she laughing at that salad or the fact that she has no tits?

>implying you wouldn't suckle them

Column A/ Column B.

Probably having a chuckle at the thought of a windows user coming to an anonymous Vatiacanian Wooden Salad Spoon Turning imageboard for advice on which linux distro to use...

More than a mouthful's a waste.

Cue this retarded asshole reinstalling windows in two days.

>Distro is called Arch Linux
>NOOO!!!!11!!one!! call eet gahnoo slash Leenux!
You people must take a lot of dicks up your ass far more often than I thought you did

>You people must take a lot of dicks up your ass far more often than I thought you did
That's what she's laughing at...

Gotdamn!

arch with fprint

crunchbang is dead

Install Manjaro

You got Linux and Windows mixed up here