/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/7dVYiTy
a.co/iBvgWyS
a.co/7VAJ48j
a.co/h5AdNjC
easeus.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whats the best solution to have a gui user interface on a windows machine from a linux host?
VNC?

>a gui user interface

Where the fuck do you go to try out laptops in person? I went to staples and best buy, but their selection was pitiful. I'm looking to try out the Acer Swift 3 and the Acer Aspire E5. Alternatively, does anyone have any experience with these laptops?

What's a good board for a 1600?

Anyone have any recommendations for a very, very cheap tablet? I want one to study on the subway and also to play some roguelikes. Phone isn't cutting it for either of those things.

DID HIRO JUST FUCKING BREAK THE GOD DAMN SITE AGAIn?

Probably not.

How can I avoid updating Firefox? I don't want to update to the botnet version to use Sup Forums X

whats the best music tag editor? mp3tag or MusicBrainz Picard maybe?

Entire site is broken, no images, no css, just text.
I have zero addons enabled

I personally use Mp3tag for tagging my music collection.

What's the best alternative for startpage?

Budget?

Sucks for you. Nothing on my end, and you can bet that if this was affecting everyone these /sqt/ threads would be blowing up right now.

Like stupidly cheap. $130 CAD tops. This will literally just be for reading slides/textbooks. I don't give a shit about almost any other aspect of it.

Look into Chuwei tablets on amazon, mine dual boots android/windows for ~$150, so far so good.

so i ran into a situation where i had to increase my max RAM so the only instant solution was to use pagefile. i did it, everything went fine etc. now that got me thinking: perhaps i should leave that 1GB pagefile after all but i was thinking about benefits. surely not setting it up will leave my programs at high speed all the time and will save me SSD but these are not probles that i'm concerned about
i'm not talking about maxing out RAM, filling it with "run once" programs and similar problems, idc about them.i'd like to know if there are any extra benefits of leaving a little bit of paging?
os is windows 7

Cheapest available is $270, did you get yours during a sale? I'll remember the name just in case though. Thanks.
Google says Amazon Fire 8. It's $100, any opinions? I'm also mildly concerned it uses some kind of weird Amazon OS since I don't see anything about another OS.

Assuming you are referring to that retard garbage search engine, use searx.

Is there any difference between "apt-get update" and "apt update"? Everything online says to use "apt-get" but "apt" just werks.

a.co/7dVYiTy
or
a.co/iBvgWyS
or
a.co/7VAJ48j

I've been using a a.co/h5AdNjC for going on 2 years. It's been great for reading textbooks and browsing. Quality has been good, they upgraded it for 4.4 to 6 which was surprising. Your mileage my very but I've been impressed by Lenovo so far.

Unless you're really hurting for space, the best option is to leave it as system managed.

*vary

Let's say I want to replace the mobo and cpu in my current pc. Anything I need to know? I remember hearing shit about Windows compiling itself to work on your mobo or some shit that makes the os you have installed not work.

Bing

Thanks user

botnet

i don't need that much pagefile space, i don't use sleep/hibernate so it'd be even more of a waste than leaving everything in ram

Can I ask someone to help me find a laptop here? Gonna make a list of what shit I want/need
>inb4 thinkpad

NEED
>Backlit Keyboard
>SSD or SSD/HDD combo
>15.6+ inches
>Able to run games like CS:GO/Rust well
>Doesn't look like a shitty gamer laptop
>Numpad on keyboard
>Run programs like photoshop/Illustrator well

WANT (doesn't have to be in the laptop but would be nice if it was)
>IPS display
>Some sorta dedicated graphics
>USB-C connection

I don't give a shit about the brand desu as long as it isn't some obscure chink shit.
Budget is $1000 or below

I always advise a clean install with a change like that because it's a good time to do it anyway. Pretty sure you could get it working without though. Just back up your shit and do the clean install.

If it's Windows 10 make sure you've linked your key with an online account so you can easily reactivate after you change your stuff--Windows will consider it a new computer and will eventually deactivate if you don't.

from what i read on the 4chanX bug tracker he upped the cloudflare "protection" up to 11, causing issues everywhere with requests and cookies

I wanted to hold onto WIndows 7, but I guess it's time to give in.

Windows uses your hardware profile as a way to validate your only using your license on one machine. With 10 I haven't had any issues, tho I do login with my MS account which I believe is also used to manage Windows licensing now.

Seems apt was created as a sort of umbrella command to make a more pleasant user experience. You could use parameters with apt-get for the same results.

Apt install replaces apt-get install. Apt search replaces apt-cache search.

Use apt.

I've literally allowed the site full unadulterated access to my machine and it still isnt enough and its throwing "Failed to load board configuration. Connection Error" errors on every browser, even phone

If I have a laptop with Windows 10 and i linked the license to a Microsoft account, can I just use my Microsoft account on the new computer and have it work?

Is synergy anygood? planning to use with hackintosh and windows 10.

I'm sure you can hang onto 7 if you want. It's easy as piss to crack anyway. I held on for awhile too but am plenty happy with 10. Except the start menu that change is mandatory.

I don't know if they still offer free upgrades but take it if you can get it.

Yeah

Alright, so I did the cloudflare thing so I can see Sup Forums normally again. How the fuck can I stop getting the constant "connection problem" when I have 4chanX on?

Hey, so I'm a dipshit and I'm having issues with a stats problem.
Say I have a random variable X with a distribution f(x). I also have another random variable N = tan(X). Generally speaking, if I want to know the distribution of N, it would simply be f(n) = tan(f(x)), right?

How the fuck do I nuke a folder from orbit? This shit has no permissions, no ownership, a bunch of completely fucked file names that probably aren't legal randomfolder\@64~s$q~gq1l\gh=81l$8y[w2y~=8~q1w. takeown does nothing, icacls does nothing.

This shit is like 60gb too

Yo, someone please explain this to me. I thought google was the worst reverse search engine, but I just got btfo a second ago cause google succeeded where yandex failed. Pic related. Pic from How did google succeed so hard where yandex failed to pick up even one source? I was so used to google providing 0-2 irrelevant results and "best guess" that I stopped even trying it forever ago. How can you tell when this will happen

Is there a replacement for the default windows color picker?

RGB is killing me

I'm using pic related(feel free to make fun of me) on windows

getting constant messages of "usb device not recognized" and bugs where it ignores inputs and holds keys down after I've released them (gaymen feature I know)
anyone know what gives?

Anyone know how to limit the WiFi bandwidth/speeds without using the modem directly? Sadly my modem doesn't have the function in the GUI, I tried using netcut but I have no idea how to configure it.

Any other application that does the trick?

is dark theme on youtube gone for anyone else but me?

No script captcha not working on firefox quantum, why? Needless to say by the way that I have to solve over 5 cancer minigames for google without it.

What do you use to backup your stuff, and is it a good idea to back up locally (I.e. to a secondary HDD in your machine?)

The ethernet cable port of my computer is blinking constantly ever since I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Even with the computer off.
What's up with that and how can I turn it off? It's not a problem when the computer is on, but when it's off and I'm trying to sleep it's illuminating half the wall behind it.

Sup Forums X stopped working in Firefox as of a day ago. No amount of updating or reinstalling them will make them work. Need helpo?

What other addons are you using?

If I wanted to maximize the battery life on my Kindle would there be any difference if I left the battery half drained and charged it in the morning or if I fully charged it before turning it off for the night?

Specifically the catalog won't load and I get a failed to load board configuration error. No other extensions or or adblock.

Open an image to allow cloudflare to authorize you, this does not fix threads or the catalog updating however

Works on my machine.

Opening an image does nothing but open the image. And any ideas on how to fix those other problems or is it just a known issue waiting for an update?

how do i remove drm from m4v files

In HandBrake, for whatever reason, whenever I rip a 22-23 minute episode from a DVD that's in 640x480, it's 800-900MB (even though I have 22-23 minute 480p 4:3 videos that I downloaded that are similar quality and are between 90-130MB). Any solutions?

My brother has the x370 MSI gaming pro carbon and it's pretty good. It'll be capable for years to come as the AM4 socket will be utilized for the foreseeable future of Ryzen

>It'll be capable for years to come

am i gay

Capable in the sense that mobos aren't going anywhere too advanced anytime too soon and the features it has are comprehensive enough to be relevant for years to come. Am I wrong in this evaluation?

Not the user, but there are people that still use Core 2 Quads and those are still capable CPUs.

>relevant for years to come

is there a guide to more efficient graphics processing in C#? CPU usage goes through the roof when drawing the most basic graphics and updating them using the provided libraries in visual studio

Quads are on their last legs. The first gen i3 is, 9 times out of 10, a better choice.

Tried also using Netlimiter but it doesn't seem to detect my router.

what subtitle formats support custom fonts?

Why the fuck is Bulk Image Downloader freezing and not fucking working? I've tried 6 different versions and they all freeze upon entering a URL. I can't find shit about it online, and tried running in compatibility mode and all this other shit, and nothing is working.

I downloaded BID 4.2 from TPB (along with the other 2 cracked versions on TPB and like 3 other cracked / pirated versions, all freeze) and it freezes on my desktop, but the same copy installs and runs fine on my 10 year old shit desktop. I don't think it's a Windows install issue since I reinstalled Windows about a month ago. Could it be an AV problem?

I've always wondered, how would one go about creating an RSS feed for their own website? Subscribing to a feed is easy to understand, but what about creating?

Where is the /sqt/ thread? also does anyone know where I can go to get someone to make me a meme in light of AMD?
It'll go like

"Punished AMD"
>insert logo or lisa su or someshit with all that venom crap

"A company denied it's marketshare"

What do you think? where can I get this done?

as someone running without a pagefile for years (xp, vista, 7), I can say it is faster without one and havent run into any stability problems, haters gonna hate

Disable auto updating and don't click Update?

Okay Sup Forums I've got a problem with an external drive a friend gave to me for free.

The drive itself is a 1Tb SSD, but it only shows 399Gigs when I look at it from the computer management menu. I've spent a few hours googling this issue, but nothing seems to have worked. I've tried clearing the drive via the diskpart command. The few programs that I've tried to use only recover the data on the SSD but not the 6GB that is hidden.

So my question is, how does one find hidden partitions on a drive that only shows half of what's available? I'm running Windows 10 if that helps at all

pic related is what I see

Can I put a humidifier in the same room with a PC?

i'm looking for software that can recover data on USB flash drives, it got corrupted and i had to error check and fix it before massive damage took place

easeus.com/

I'm the user from two posts above. This should work

I have a vague understanding of how Snapshots work in VirtualBox, changes made to the disk are kept elsewhere while the original, base disk remains the same. But what happens when you have multiple virtual hard disks attached to a machine? Say 3, making 4 virtual disks in total including where the VM OS resides. Are changes made to the added virtual disks also kept?

it required a license key to complete, link to a crack?

Use google, I was able to download it for free (it just didn't do what I wanted it to)

vnc. but look into tightvnc to avoid botnet

was it one of the older versions?

I can't remember, but I think any recent version should be able to recover your data

How do I force a program on Windows 7 to appear on the taskbar when opened? It doesn't even show on the taskbar unless window focus is given to it, which is hell considering that demands not doing anything between launch and it finally opening, else it will silently open beneath all other windows.

Is there a way to compare and visualize in hex format where two large files differ?

>Came here the other day b/c my PS2 mouse is going bad
>Have USB>PS2 adapter laying around
>Asked about adapting USB>PS2>USB
>YEAH THAT'LL WORK -user
>Went out and bought USB mouse
>Plug everything in
>no go
>USB Plug n Play works fine
>Restart system with adapters in place
>nogo
FYI USB>PS2>USB doesn't work
Now I have to try and get my money back for this USB mouse and try to find a decent optical PS2 mouse
Thanx for trying user
Any suggestions on my next mouse?

Any differences to mounted VDI's are contained within the snapshot VDI.

What are some steps I can take to further gain privacy? I've got windows 10, but I don't think I can switch to Linux (games, work shit), using iridium browser, no passwords saved, encrypted hard drives, looking for a good vpn, etc

> USB>PS2>USB
wat.

>further gain privacy? I've got windows 10
>further gain privacy
>windows 10
>privacy
>further
>windows 10
>

as i said, speed is not an issue i'm worrkied about (i've also been running without pagefile for years but barely seen any difference when using one on SSD) but maybe there's something that would make worth leaving that 1GB, maybe less, pagefile?

are key strokes logged by the OS?

>what are some steps I can take to protect myself from crime? I live on the south side of Chicago, but I don't think I can move.

Same as "RIP in peace".
Cancerous.

What did people actually use the Altair 8800 for?

Also, what was the first home computer with a monitor?

What kind of longevity could be expected for an old Apple II? I have been wanting to but one, but hate the idea of it inevitably burning out one day.

I know it probably varies hugely, but I'm talking best-case from new/unused.

anyone currently browsing from an amiga?
just curious

How can I make windows 10 stop changing my GPU driver?