I think we can all agree that mainstream modern music is nearing a terminal decline at this point...

I think we can all agree that mainstream modern music is nearing a terminal decline at this point. What can be done to reverse it? What musical styles have a chance at breaching into mainstream territory and what can separate it from this sewer music that is all-encompassing?

Other urls found in this thread:

polygraph.cool/history/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mainstream music has always been shit.

this

literally go back to the Youtube comments holy shit

What's your opinion on popular jazz from the 20's and 30's?

Thanks for the input.

try to picture OP as he wrote this.
what does he look like?

My guess is poor music taste - loves metal, but only entry level wankery. Black t shirt, pale skin and definite fluffy beard.

>What can be done to reverse it?
Nothing, unless you have massive sway over the music industry (i.e. $$$) or can convince hundreds of thousands of people to reevaluate their music choice (you can't)

tacky cheesy awful shit

Duke Ellagon is a bitch hack

>18th century pop was shit

mainstream/underground is the same thing now
thx to spotify/pandora
anybody who spends a month on either using the shuffle/playlist
gets exposed to get chunk of "indie" stuff like anco,vampire weekend etc

There was still more people listening to the mediocre Glenn Miller Orchestra instead of Duke Ellington and Count Basie.

Pretty far off I'm afraid. Skinhead, glasses, polo shirt. I do have a slightly stubbly goatee though so well done with the beard idea.

Music taste (recently): Erhard Bauschke, Otto Dobrindt, popular modern music I've been listening to some Disclosure and Four Tet, mainly for study. I've also been studying Medtner and Janacek who I cruelly overlooked for too long.

Mainstream Top 40 is very clearly getting better. Compare now to 90s-early 2000s.

this

I remember I was really excited when electropop and house music started to become popular but it resulted in some of the worst music ever made. same with all the indie pop ala Arcade Fire with the clapping and the Oooooohhoooohhhhs, holy shit does it sound forced.

pray to god your favorite genre doesn't get mainstream because the industry will ruin it for you

>you will never me minaj's toilet

Perhaps in production values, but musically speaking there is less innovation, both rhythmically and harmonically. The only thing that is advancing is stereo imaging techniques.

No. It's far worst. Because in the late 90's and early most of the acts that lived on the top40 were one hit/album wonders and dissapeared. Papa Roach, Smash Mouth, Alien Ant Farm, POD, Limp Bizkit etc..
Nowdays shitty acts like Bieber are actually building "legitimate" careers.

why reverse it?

That's a good point, there really aren't any one-hit wonders anymore.

Glenn Miller is fine. He had some decent stuff, and arranging an orchestra isn't easy whatever year you come from. Not to mention he wasn't as popular as Duke and Count Basie. Plus he died in WW2.

Walton wouldn't put up with the music of today.

polygraph.cool/history/

Gotta disagree. There's more room for experimentation & tolerance for harsher sounds now. Look at Skrillex. Laugh all the fuck you want, but didn't think I'd see the day when plebs straight up danced to what is basically noise rock, as bad as he is.

Listen to a sampling of pop music circa mid 70s, mid 80s or early 00s and then come back and tell us that Nicki Minaj is worse than what you've listened through. I dare you.

there is literally NOTHING wrong with pop music

It annoys me how all female pop singers sing in this breathy voice where they don't really pronounce the last letter of the word correctly. You know what I mean?
Also I don't listen to the radio too much so not sure if I'm right here, but it seems like most pop songs sound the exact same, with a little quirky part added in to slightly differentiate them. Like a weird sound in the chorus or something. And songs try to have a quotable or funny part to be used as hashtags or to be put in vines.

That's a fair point. The only reservation I have is that there still isn't any noticeable rhythmic innovation throughout mainstream EDM across the board, and what I've heard of his music hasn't left a lasting appreciation to any harmonic interest. As impressive as the progress in synth programming has been, it can't really sit anywhere but on the production side of things. And production is just how you're packaging up -music-.

These are the only correct opinions. /thread, good work everybody.

ayy what a fucking tryhard pleb

Well the mid 80s gave us Chaka Khan, Donna Allen, Alexander O' Neal, Prince just to name a couple of drops in the ocean. 70s was lightyears better with regards to technical prowess both in the instruments held by most acts and in the studio as well. From EWF to Mac, all the way to Led Zep... The early 00s gave us Daft Punk for one and the amount of genuinely good rock music was seemingly endless. So I suppose there isn't really much need to take on your dare. Perhaps you should try to name some good music from 2010 onwards as a "dare".

Good one, friend.

Are you a Jewish A&R for Warner?

Pretty much, yeah. The "hook" in music has been reduced down to a memorable lyric. Studios will try their hardest to get it soloed out and there's bonus points for it not even being sung. This is purely so that it can be used as a soundbite in the broadest number of settings, hence increase the chance of it going "viral". Almost every studio is pushing for this now, and it's gotten to the point where labels are looking for potential in artists to do this.

Well done for picking up on that.

As long as she keeps shaking that phat ass I'm okay with this

polygraph.cool/history/