Debussy - La Mer
Schoenberg - Pierrot Lunaire
Webern - Symphony
Stockhausen - Gruppen
Boulez - Repons
Birtwistle - Earth Dances
Rihm - Jagden und Formen

>fuckign

Why do i have a feeling that OP is the same user which a couple of weeks a go was opening threads about how much jazz sucks and shouldn't never be compared with classical?

Gesualdo was a weird guy. I find his music very interesting.

on the right is the best classical album of all time
the 9th symphony most notably is the strongest classical song of all time

on the left is the best jazz has to offer

i like miles and everything, but no

>hi i like jazz look i have a picture of supreme love
>classical suks btw

>being this mad at a typo
>not being able to form your own opinions

>beethoven
Replace that with mozart btw

>2016
>caring about either of these genres

>caring about music

AHAHAHAH

Anything is better than von Karajan directing ffs. It's not even debatable. Come on...he's a serial killer.
You're joking right? that's trolling right?

>on the left is the best jazz has to offer
>Has most likely never listen to any other jazz album ever
Nice to know you skipped over the many jazz albums that beat kind of blue.

/r/ing some classical flowcharts.

I have a handful of works, but I'd appreciate something that helps me discover more.

>fuckign

What albums would you personally put above it? Just curious. Looking to delve away from classical and into jazz at the moment.

>fuckign

A LOVE SUPREME MY MAN BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIMEEE

I've been trying to into /classical/ too, and this kinda helped: www.columbia.edu/itc/music/ito/history/

I'd like some flowcharts too. Google didn't really yield anything. The /classical/ sticky was pretty cluttered imo.

go on the classical thread. on the OP there are some links to pages with lots of essential classical works from baroque to contemporary shit. All in flac, with covers and perfectly labeled.

>The epic
>Love supreme
>Ah um
>Bitches brew
>Moanin'
>To pimp a butterfly
>Ascension
Maybe check these albums out.

Please be meming

Good taste, lads

>I am new to Sup Forums and can't understand what is bait and what isn't because I'm a complete imbecile: The post

>Branca lumped with fucking Kendrick
Everyday we drift further from the light of God.

>I'm autistic: the post.

not even samefagging here, all 4channers are cringeworthy, including me. imo acting like a special snowflake makes it worse

Why should it be a contest?

What if your post is b8?

>posts an assortment of art music from various time and style periods
>Classical
nice job going full retard

W E W

Ascension is by Coltrane you moron.

Music is a contest
Life is a contest
Everything is a contest

Will you fight like a man? Or will you perish like a dog?

I'll coexist. Thanks.

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

>being an uneducated teenager
What's your background in classical music?

peep some Mingus and/or Coltrane

>being this ironic
that list contained Baroque through Modern/Contemporary compositions you plebshit, you can't just call things that fall under the definition of Art music fucking Classical.

stop posting anytime

You didn't answer my question.

I'm a composition student you shitstain

mozart sucks

While you swallow.

I doubt it. All my colleagues and professionals refer to it classical music.

In all honesty as a person who does really like jazz I absolutely believe classical is better.

>being literally retarded on the internet because you got btfo
Classical music refers to the Classical period, if your 'colleagues' and 'professionals' call all art music 'classical' then they need their degrees and jobs taken away so they can go back to a college level music history class to understand how unprofessional they are

there are distinctions in art music for a reason, you can't compare a Handel piece to Schoenberg's Pierrot, maybe you can compare his earlier pre-atonal work to Wagner, but that is just because he literally learned from studying his works, and even then you're talking about Romanticism not Classical

Better in what sense? I think it differs from composer to composer, piece to piece (or tune to tune).

An argument that seems to come up a lot is that jazz is often far less-calculated and therefore less successful in conveying ideas/emotions. What do you think of this?

As a listener, I also enjoy both to high degrees.

desu calling it art music seems pretentious; outside of the "art music" world, it's widely referred to as classical music. Yeah, there are different periods, such as baroque, classical, romantic, etc.

It's just a matter of practicality

Well said, fellow faggot. Let us raise our cups in gay jest.

Yeah, seriously. I think that trying to find the "better" genre is pointless and stupid; both are great

even from that point of view the list would be 'Classcal', Atonal, and Modern/Contemporary 'Classical'

practicality or not, it's still plebshit to not call a composition by it's proper time period, it's like putting in half the effort to try and fuck a hot girl, you get her number and set up a date and then don't go through with it because it's more practical to fuck your hand

suck a cock

Comparing Jazz to Classical is only stupid if you aren't looking directly at the sheet music and are forced to analyze and explain it and it's intentions.

Most Jazz pieces in this sense can be easily misinterpreted due to the comping sections, and the fact that Jazz was very much so a live performance genre, while anything remotely classical is 'more-calculated' because the composer knew what he wanted to hear and usually didn't give a shit about the ensemble and how talented they were as long as they could play the piece as written

okay, but when I'm telling people about my favorite symphonies, I'm not going to call it art music. this makes you sound pretentious and insufferable. Just because I'm replacing the words "art music" with "classical music" doesn't mean that I can't make any distinction between what eras they're from.

also, that's a shit-tier analogy

>it's like putting in half the effort to try and fuck a hot girl, you get her number and set up a date and then don't go through with it because it's more practical to fuck your hand
This isn't analogous at all. Like, in what way are these situations similar?
It's more like using a fuckton of 10 dollar words around a 7 year old because you feel they better express your thoughts. Yeah, you might be more accurately expressing yourself in theory, but in practice the stuff you're saying is losing meaning and you're coming across as a pedant.

Better in the sense that I find the greatest classical composers more rewarding than the greatest jazz composers, and that there is such an enormous history to classical (centuries of it) while jazz is relatively recent in comparison, thus giving me loads of different artists to listen to.

I think jazz is not at all less successful in conveying emotions, even within jazz pieces without a normal structure (free jazz). But ultimately I think the great classical composers are just about untouchable.

>when I'm telling people about my favorite symphonies, I'm not going to call it art music
that's fine, just call it by it's period, if they question what it means then give them a quick explanation. If anything it just sparks up conversation and if you are already trying to talk about your favorite pieces then it only helps your cause that you actually show that you know what you are talking about. You don't have to make it seem pretentious, but who the fuck even tells normie fucks about their favorite symphonies?

if someone says that a band is their favorite band and they only know one song or one album, if they run into someone and get into a conversation about it they are going to make a fool of themselves.

thx familia

>in what way are these situations similar?
You spend the time and effort to understand music history and the nuances of the various periods, but it's more practical to boil them all down into one time period for the sake of not sounding like you know the difference

also
>equates regular 'non-art music people' as 7 year olds
wew

>boil them all down into one time period
That isn't what's meant when one uses classical music in that context.
> for the sake of not sounding like you know the difference
*being understood
>equates regular 'non-art music people' as 7 year olds
When you start throwing a bunch of eruditic musicology jargon at them they may aswell be.

>If anything it just sparks up conversation
>who the fuck even tells a normie about their favorite symphonies

Listening to "art music" as opposed to other types of music doesn't make you better than everyone else.

I've held Jazz as a synthesis of Classical and Folk music - taking the tradition of classical and fusing it with the methods of folk styles. Looking at it this way I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but that Jazz is naturally the 'winner' in history.

>they may aswell be
so.... I'm pretentious because you think people don't deserve to hear certain statements even if they don't understand them?
Safe Spaces from people who might have studied a topic that I haven't studied when

>implying implications

kill yourself faggot

is that every post in the thread?
a thread on a music board?
with a topic about music discussion?
nice one edgy newfriend

Nobody implied that, classical music is literally "art music" so describing it that way in a thread that is partly about classical music isn't wrong in any way.

>comparing two unrelated genres with vast catalogs of music spanning centuries and trying to come up with an objective answer to "which is better" based on subjective standards

it was doomed before it started