No privacy

Holy shit is this something no one pays attention to in the digital age.
We give out all our personal information and anyone with a credit card can have access to all your personal info.
I'm 31 and there is so much personal shit out there that link directly to my personal life.
>email addresses
>aliases used
>social media
>past and current addresses
>past and current phone numbers
How is this shit legal?
Just search your name and you will find sites like mylife.com or peekyou.com
It's honestly fucking violating.
Is privacy dead? Why do we not value it? Does negating privacy just feed into our system of making it easier to monitor people.
Shits fucked.

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/tech/2018/02/12/report-facebook-losing-younger-users-at-rapid-pace/
uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jesus Christ OP, did you just found out about internet?

Check out FOSDEM operation ORCHESTRA
and then ask yourself what is legal. :^)

No, but the amount of shit companies are leaking on you is staggering. I'm just saying people don't think about that shit. I'm tech savvy, but I'm thinking of all the people that aren't that are throwing sooooo much personal shit online that they aren't aware of that just a click away from others. It's something that's no talked about.
Will we get to a point where everyone has shit online that it's just noise? And effectively making privacy moot since no one has it?
We aren't there yet that's why the shits fucked. Savvy people can use that info however they choose.

First day on the internet?

Also my name comes up with nothing because I'm not retarded.

No, because you're an unemplyed < 18 y/o living with your parents.

No I just have a common name. It actually sucks because I don't get found by anyone on linkedin.

>Not found on linkden
So unemployed?
What about living with parents?
If you don't have your own address than yeah you are still off the radar. Once you get employment and your own address you're in the system whether you like it or not.

Now who is the retard who gave away all that information about yourself, OP?

>we give out all our personal information
speak for yourself idiot. There's nothing about me on any of those websites and even if there was there are tons and tons of people with the same name as me.

>Hurp durp I've never gave my first and last name to anybody, even my address hur hur hur

>not having the name of a semi-famous dead historical figure meaning searches for your name never show you on the first 10+ pages

>giving away your address
Yup, you are clinically retarded.

What happened to the speech about not associating anything on internet with your real name? This was very prevalent in early 2000s. But now every retard has their own facebook account with real names and they publicly advertise what they ate for breakfast. No wonder why identity theft is so commonplace. It's not because there is more "hackers" it's because people just don't care and are stupid.

I guess generic ass names are a good way to protect privacy

YouTube showing your real name was the final nail for any privacy for normies.

You've never shipped something to your house? Registered your email with deparments of motor vehicles. Registered to vote?
Yep sounds like someone < 18

Address not email**

>no one remembers phone books

>email addresses
I have one email address for professional shit like job searches, one email address for spam, one email address for people who I don't know very well, and one email address for close family and friends, all through Tutanota.

>aliases used
I don't use aliases.

>social media
Mostly dead, as far as I can tell. The shit that isn't is mostly encrypted (WhatsApp, Signal, Wire) or dying (facebook, twitter, etc)

>past and current addresses
Yeah, but that isn't new. Anyone with a phone book could find out your current address, and anyone wanting to do a background check on you could find out your old addresses.

>past and current phone numbers
Who cares? I change my cell number every couple of years, and my default text/phone ring is "Silent, No Vibrate." If they don't leave a VM, saying they are the dentist, confirming an appointment, or something like that, they get blocked. Them knowing my phone number doesn't mean shit, especially considering I've set up all my family and friends with Signal anyways.

The shit from mylife or peekyou is the same shit that has always been around, it's just more readily accessible to the masses.

If you considered privacy to be dead in the 80s and 90s, then yes, it's dead. If you don't, then nothing has changed, except that you are offered more ways to opt out of privacy.

>You've never shipped something to your house
I don't give away my address, no, I can have it shipped at my workplace too, you know?

>Registered your email with deparments of motor vehicles
No. And what?

>vote
Never did, never will.

>Yep sounds like someone < 18
I'm 24.

Tons of people use the same email account on every website they use. So if you find out their real name and their email address it's very easy to backtrack everything else and for people who know what they are doing, getting their password is just a small step further.
It's kinda sad when you think about it. People don't associate internet being external as it's so easy to connect and it happens every time you turn on your computer. They don't think about the security because it is somewhat abstract idea to them.

Not who you are responding to, but based off your answers, you fit the description of every ID thief's wet dream. Not telling you you should change, as I don't particularly care about you, one way or another. But have fun never owning your own house, and having to use cash everywhere, just to have a debtor come after you because someone else figured out they could rack up debt in your name, and you would never know about it.

And if your ID gets stolen, you're still responsible for taking care of it. I'd tell you to freeze your credit, so that won't happen, but then you would need to give the credit reporting agencies your address.

tl;dr: the people who go full tin-foil on privacy are just as stupid as the people who give up everything. The only difference between the two is one thinks they are smart, while being retarded, and the other isn't thinking at all.

What? I almost never pay with my card, why would I? I just withdraw money from an ATM beforehand. I live in my own apartment.

>you fit the description of every ID thief's wet dream
How come?

>And if your ID gets stolen
Not going to happen.

>How come?
Because you can't monitor your credit reports without giving up information about yourself.

>Not going to happen?
And tell me how you would know if it did?

I bet check cashing places love you. How much money would you estimate that you give them every year?

>Because you can't monitor your credit reports without giving up information about yourself.
Not to a third party. No. You don't have to give away any data to any third party to be able to do that.

>And tell me how you would know if it did?
Because it didn't and it won't. Some people are just not as incompetent as you are. You just have to accept it.

Not if you use your own bank's ATMs.

>Not to a third party. No. You don't have to give away any data to any third party to be able to do that.
As someone who does monitor their credit, I can tell you that you're full of shit. Every third party asks questions to make sure you are who you say you are. Even first parties do this shit.

>your own bank's ATMs.
You do realize that having a bank account would put you "on the grid," yes? If you have a bank account (even a prepaid one like Bluebird or GoBank), you're giving up information about yourself.

>Is privacy dead?
Yes.
Scott McNealy even told you get over it.

You don't have to give any info to any third party to check your bank account. Do you understand the notion of a "third party"?

>tfw you want to search your real name on Google to find out what dirt the botnet keeps on you but you also don't since you think that might attract attention

You figure anyway as a living person with an address. What's your point?

>You don't have to give any info to any third party to check your bank account.
What does your bank account have to do with your credit report, aside from being one aspect of a credit report?

Also, the fact that you have a bank means that you aren't an island, for all your posturing.

You're the one that called someone stupid for giving away their address, when you have done the same shit. Oh, fun fact, Amazon/UPS doesn't give your info to credit agencies (which is where the real treasure trove of your data comes from when people try to find shit out about you from background checks). Banks, on the other hand, do.

So, I would argue that the other user qualified you correctly when he said:
>The only difference between the two is one thinks they are smart, while being retarded...
Because you acted arrogant and superior when you typed:

>How is this shit legal?
the US and many other places don't have a basic legal right to privacy, there are often laws that uphold it but it's not written into the constitution so those laws can be repealed, modified, replaced, or just worked around
it's telling though that you said
>We give out all our personal information
that's where a lot of this comes from, from people consensually giving out information
sometimes there's a bit of pressure but outside of government spying and Google it's mostly still consensual
I know I recently gave in after a year or two of saying no and let some social media access files on my phone because it's a pain to transfer pictures from my phone to my desktop just to post them

To order something online? Like a pair of shoes? Or a HDD? No, I didn't give my address for neither of these. And for a small fee (the equivallent of about 3 EUR, actually less or null if what you buy exceeds a certain price) I could opt to pay with cash on delivery.

My bank knows nothing about those transactions. Those websites know nothing about my bank or my address, since they were delievered a my workplace, and they don't even have my full name. They only got my last name and my patronymic.

>My bank knows nothing about those transactions
Completely irrelevant to what is being discussed. You could also pick up a prepaid card without a name registered to it, filling it with cash, and your bank wouldn't know shit about those transactions.

The point is that you called someone retarded for giving out their address, and you have a bank account, which is literally the last place you would want to have your address if you're going tin-foil privacy mode.

So yeah, you think you know more than you actually do, which, as anyone who has ever had to work on computers can tell you, is the WORST mix there is. At least the people who know that they don't know shit won't fuck things up worse.

>The point is that you called someone retarded for giving out their address
Yeah, because that person is retarded for giving away their address so easily. You can do many things without giving it away.

Ofcourse there are reasonable cases in which you have to. Your bank asks you, your ISP provider, when you register as the owner of a car they need your details. But I don't see a problem in these. They don't affect my anonymity online or in almost any every day scenario. I's still afirly anonymous to that online store (there are thousands of people with the same name (not family name, which I didnt give) and partonymic combination as mine).

And YOU'RE retarded if you think that giving it to a bank means that you're any better. You may as well register to vote, ship shit to your house, etc etc, because anyone who wants to know your address will find it when they stop by a credit reporting agency, which will be their fist stop. By giving your address to a bank, you are literally only better than the people who put smart speakers in their homes. So, when you call someone retarded for anything other than putting a smart speaker in their home, it's a case of "pot and kettle."

Anyways, the fact that you aren't even realizing how fucking retarded you are, even when its being explained to you, leaves this conversation fruitless.

>anyone who wants to know your address will find it
How? They don't even have my full name. About who are they going to ask for an address? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

>Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
Start doing research, while keeping this thread open, and, when you are a little more learned, feel free to reread the thread, asking yourself the same question.

This is the last (you) that you're getting from me.

stop replying to the retard, he's probably an amerifat, they're the only ones who care so much about credit reports since they're constantly in debt

Op here. Thanks for serving user. It's good you have good prviacy protocals, but MOST people don't. That's kind of my point. MOST the population do not know the shit they're doing to themselves in regards to privacy.

70% of American adults had their credit reports leaked so yes it's dead if you're a burger.

I can't believe that the US is STILL using SSNs for credit stuff, even after all that happened.

Based Equifax

>>Registered your email with deparments of motor vehicles
>No. And what?
>>vote
>Never did, never will.
>I'm 24.
you're a fucking baby, kiddo
if you had bills you'd know how it is

>Facebook
>Twitter
>dying
what planet are you on? is it nice there?

It's not like it actually did anything. Within 30 minutes of the story hitting, I researched all my options and implemented a security freeze. I've got all the numbers to unfreeze the account in keepass xc, which has been saved to my protonmail account.

how the fuck does your bank not have your full name unless you used a fake one?

not dying, but recently i've read that facebook is actually losing users.

IDK it would be too good to watch facebook die.

breitbart.com/tech/2018/02/12/report-facebook-losing-younger-users-at-rapid-pace/

moving to snapchat.

>Now who is the retard
You, as always, yuliya. Time to go back in the contained area. Here, this way

My evidence towards facebook dying is annecdotal, but either facebook is knowingly putting up a bunch of what I'm sure the news would call russian propaganda, or there's just nothing else for them to put up. I only check my fb like once every 3 months, but there are no posts in my timeline that are from any of my friends. People may not be deleting their accounts, but, from where I'm sitting, they sure aren't using them, either.

>leaking
you make it sound like its a problem for them, they're doing it on purpose

Not all of it. Some of the shit they lose leads to class action lawsuits. That said, the end of magnetic stripe credit cards can't come to the US quickly enough.

>google own name
>all that comes up is a newspaper article from when I was 13 and still in school and my github account
feels good man

did you know they now check for your citizenship status when you get new employment? any job, even cleaning toilets or digging trenches
uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf
they want your social, e-mail, and phone on the form too, to be given to homeland security. everyone who wants a job's gonna go on that gov database.

>they sure aren't using them, either.
Not that guy but yeah they aren't. Every time i look at some person's phone on the bus while they browse facebook it's always a shit ton advertisement on their wall, you never see photos of anyone normal, only models shilling clothes and posts by companies they liked.
Even my friend who was a facebook addict a few years ago confessed to me that nowadays he only gets like 2 or 3 posts a week from real people on his wall and it's mostly birthday parties or weddings, the rest are reposts or ads.

Yeah, so I can see why that earlier user said facebook was dead. For all intents and purposes, it is for many people.

change your name to a common one or to a celeb's name. Change your name to Taylor Swift and actual results about you will be buried on the back pages of google no one looks at because she has way more SEO juice than you will ever have. Or a common name like Jason Smith or some bullshit. Same thing where there will be so many people with the same name that it will be hard to pinpoint which results are about you and which are about one of the other Jason Smiths. Changing your name is completely legal and people do it all the time.

all I seem to get are posts from people I'm not very close to either talking about friends and family I don't know or ranting about politics
I'm not that far left or liberal these days but some people I know really are, and I can tell you it's just as grating on this side, if not more so

We told you to install gentoo years ago
You didn't listen..

lel

welcome to the digital era

>living in 3rd world country where finding any info on people is limited to facebook
Eveb finding someone's phone number is a huge pain in the ass. Nobody even uses linkedin.

>anyone with a credit card can have access to all your personal info
>tfw someone pays to see your shitposts