/prog/ general

/prog/

actually pretty good, not cringe at all edition

what have you been listening to recently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nDs5_wY-KjI
youtube.com/watch?v=G9jk0kicFMI
youtube.com/watch?v=axUTMGej21s
soundcloud.com/karisma-records/1-killer
youtube.com/watch?v=hbnnFxXLuJk
britishtheatre.bandcamp.com/album/mastery
youtube.com/watch?v=svPADYBMxXI
youtube.com/watch?v=MSEQZ8reJA4
youtube.com/watch?v=M2DLUVf4DZk
youtube.com/watch?v=9MargcvlZTI
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ36yF6hXwo
youtube.com/watch?v=Fa6dFgcoeb4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

porcupine tree are alt-metal

not been listening to too much prog lately actually

I should give larks tongues by king crimson another go, it's been pretty entertaining so far

New Pineapple thief Announced
youtube.com/watch?v=nDs5_wY-KjI

New Frost* track
youtube.com/watch?v=G9jk0kicFMI

New Wolverine track
youtube.com/watch?v=axUTMGej21s

New Airbag Track
soundcloud.com/karisma-records/1-killer

all these bands suck

they weren't always
youtube.com/watch?v=hbnnFxXLuJk

when I was first getting into KC that was one of the first album that blew me away on first listen. ltia pt. I and easy money are orgasmic

samefag

Also has anyone listened to new album y former Oceansize members? It's really good

britishtheatre.bandcamp.com/album/mastery

Yeah, Easy Money is fantastic, it's got a really great groove

>first first first
i'm tired

been meaning to listen to that. haven't heard many new albums this year

youtube.com/watch?v=svPADYBMxXI

I always thought the live versions sounded fuller, probably because of the drums. If you like 70s KC I wholeheartedly recommend listening to a few live albums. a lot of the songs sound like they were made just to be toyed with live.

sup faggots didn't realise these threads were still a thing

Any opinions on this? Also new Big Big Train coming at the end of the month, should be good.

>actually pretty god, not cringe at all edition
so OP pic unrelated?
If you want good Porcupine Tree go listen to Up the Downstair, Sky Moves Sideways or Signify.

I gave FoaBP another chance this week. reason I posted it is because I was blown away by the atmosphere on some of the less metal songs. the last few minutes of Anesthetize for example youtube.com/watch?v=MSEQZ8reJA4

their space rock days were best, I agree, but I like the way (especially recently) SW brings together all of the different styles he's covered in his career in a way where they actually complement each other.

It's mediocre as fuck, they've gone from being one of the most underrated bands in the world with their debut to being one of the most overrated.

PS your opinion on PT is shit

Anyone wanna recommend prog metal similar to dream theater but a better singer?

They weren't since you left

thanks senpai

this sounds incredible holy shit, fripp is a fucking god

Oh Anesthetize is a great track on its own, its just that I feel Wilson's last albums with PT kind of left the band off on a sour note. Despite great tracks like Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, alot of the stuff from In Absentia onward never clicked with me.

His solo work is amazing though.

Disappointing album

Haken
Threshold

Most of Prog and me in the past year have been me realizing much of it feels "artsy/complex" to the point of sounding insincere and geeky. Also the past year of Prog and me has been realizing that Canterbury and Krautrock were where it was really at and that most symphonic prog isn't that good.

Are you from prog snob?

>Canterbury and Krautrock
Lmao so you turned to hipster prog

>Anyone wanna recommend prog metal similar to dream theater
why would you ever want that

hipster prog is anything from the cuneiform label

Why do hipsters hate prog?

I like the music senpai, moreso looking for interesting rhythms and long bridges/instrumentals like them

>implying

Liking Yes and King Crimson is right in the middle of fashion with the hipster crowd where I'm from. Modern prog is super uncool though.

I guess they were relatively one-dimensional albums for him, like he just suddenly fell in love with the metal riff and almost built entire albums around them.

I am not, only just found out what that is

my recent experience has been almost the opposite, re-opening myself to less Sup Forumsapproved (dare I say reddit-tier) prog and realizing more traditional prog can be great, too. i don't disagree that symphonic prog can get stale, and that the canterbury scene and krautrock sound so refreshing in comparison when that's most of what you've been exposed to

is this ska?

Some prog is very appealing to hipsters, though, stuff like Magma, King Crimson, and Henry Cow all have that sort of appeal. Not saying that people who like those artists are hipsters, just that the music seems to have that appeal. Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator and Camel seem to so-so, while ELP, and the vast majority of modern prog/prog metal is highly unfashionable.

>canterbury and krautrock

what prog band has the worst fanbase?

no obvious shit like DT and TMV please

Every Magma and HC fan I've seen on the internet has always without fail been the same type of asshole

King Crimson fans are literally the fucking worst

I'd go with that too especially if their favorite KC album is something like lark tongues in aspic

why TMV?

also anyone with a cult following will have some truly awful fans. tool and porcupine tree for example, even though i like both. less obvious answer: anyone who swears by a particular pink floyd era and can't appreciate everything up to animals on some level

I don't get this one either...

what's up with king crimson and larks tongues fans?

Magma and Can

Really depends on what it is.

Weirder or more obscure stuff fits very well into a lot of hipster dogmas.

you know those prog fans that wont touch anything unless it fits a certain aesthetic? (vdgg, kc, magma, henry cow) yeah...

"King Crimson is simply on another level compared to primitive-prog such as pink floyd, yes, or genesis. The musicianship and virtuoso on Lark's Tongues is impeccable, Fripp literally sounds like a guitar-playing god and his performance can never be matched"

Anyone who unironically follows "prog snob" on facebook and agrees with the sentiment of their posts without a hint of irony.

lol i visited that page the first time you posted it and it seems to be pure irony

I'm pretty sure the admins are just taking the piss out of prog fans, but there are people who unironically think they are superior for liking prog. All the posts they make about how 4/4 is inferior (which is obviously sarcastic), there are people who believe that.

There's a fucking hilarious youtube comment on Sithu Aye (who is garbage, but for other reasons) with a guy talking about how the fact that Sithu mostly uses 4/4 is "the opposite of progressive". It's pretty fucking horrible but these people exist and I have overheard some of their conversations at gigs. Most are underage as well (understandably, with such a limited view of music).

Anything cult like Cardiacs.

>they share shit like this

this is the shittiest thing i've ever seen in my life

Am I wrong for wanting more spicy prog memes?

this is the best thing i've ever seen in my life

this is just okay if I'm being honest

am I wrong for wanting to suck steven wilson's penis? im not even that gay

fair enough. i thought some of the self aware humour was pretty funny. it's not far off Sup Forumsmour really. just dumb twitter memes with [insert music i like here] applied to them

pretty funny to be honest

looks like a funny page to follow on fb, thanks family

By far fucking Cardiacs fans

Why? :(

cringe
funny
ok
meh
stale meme
i will never understand the slayer hate on that page
cringe
cringe
meh

Because most of them literally listen to it for the sake of "DOOD MUH QUIRKS LMOA" and they're mostly pretentious avant-teen shits too.

I don't know, maybe Avant-math God has tainted my view of Cardiacs and their fans

>normie memes
>funny

>[

This "steven wilson is really feelsy" meme needs to die

Just because he has more emotion than 99% of prog doesn't make him the saddest shit of all time

most of their fans are all on the same page they take the music waaaaay too serious for what it really is

you're right

Honestly I just don't care for their music but good god I hate their fanbase.

that's kind of the joke though

I'VE ALWAYS WAAAANTEED TO EAT GLASS WITH YOOOUU AGAAAAIIIN

Is it? I see these "memes" constantly about how Wilson is really sad, and people seem to believe them unironically. Also, they're almost always coupled with Raven, which aside from the title track and the end of the Watchmaker, is one of his least feelsy albums. And the title track is a weaker re-take of Collapse the Light anyway.

Having a shit homogenous taste isn't a good thing. Branch out more, you teenager.

Prog got me damn tired lately, I check for new bands/bands I didn't check out and usually fail to find something new. Either modern or old prog.
I only stick to releases by bands I'm already into though, last rather proggy release I got into is this one, and this is one of the best tracks I've ever heard containing one of the best riffs I've ever heard as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=M2DLUVf4DZk

Wow, you are really dense

What did you guys think

fwiw I do find the title track to be very emotional, especially live

but the humour is just in repetition and beating the idea of him being sad into the ground, i don't think it's sincere, it's laughing at the fact people think he's sad more than laughing at him being sad

kc is emotionally dead prove me wrong

Yeah it is, but he's done better songs in the same vein

Insurgentes is hands down one of the most emotional albums of all time and if these guys were saying that instead of Raven then I would probably agree in sentiment.

haven't listened and don't know if I even want to

are Haken good? what kind of prog do they play?

Imagine Dream Theater with more self-awareness, better melodic ideas and a bit of tongue-in-cheek.

>21st Century Schizoid Man
>Fallen Angel
>Starless
>Epitaph
>In the Court of the Crimson King
>Beginning of Moonchild
>Frame By Frame
>Elephant Talk

never got this criticism of King Crimson, I've always thought they're incredibly emotional and express that very, very well

Most emotional SW songs

1 Lazarus
2 Collapse the Light
3 Stop Swimming
4 Waiting
5 The Raven
6 Don't Hate Me
7 Shesmovedon
8 My Ashes
9 Routine
10 Fadeaway

Thoughts on Riverside
They are like PT with more feels

Mentioning starless only was probably enough. Kc are in the exact opposite way of soulless prog.

depends on your scope of emotion. it's never joyful or extremely sad, but there's a visceral edge to their music (especially belew) that speaks to other emotions like obsession, insanity, anger etc.

also even just taking that linear look of what emotions music can/should express, i don't see how anyone couldn't be moved by matte kudasai or starless

youtube.com/watch?v=9MargcvlZTI

I've been really enjoying Votum recently

youtube.com/watch?v=mJ36yF6hXwo
youtube.com/watch?v=Fa6dFgcoeb4

i cant be the only one, specially if you like johnny

Does /prog/ do /rio/?

*especially belew era

Who here has gotten to see the current version of king crimson live? Anyone going to see them on their tour in the fall?

Why wouldn't it?

>not posting the best henry cow album
wew

as long as it isnt the circus type of rio then yes

this is just a canterbury album though

I mean, probably, I've always thought RIO was a sub-genre of prog or at the very least a scene that was related to prog.