Literal hours of troubleshooting and waiting to get Windows to update

>literal hours of troubleshooting and waiting to get Windows to update
>leave for a while just to come back to an OOM warning
>now it's frozen in this state

Even fucking hobbyist trash like Arch is less painful to update than this garbage.
Windows is a joke.

There's probably a skeleton crew left on the update service and patches for non-Windows 10 at this point. They just don't care.

When Windows 7 was still very active, an update sent my computer into a boot loop.

Microsoft simply can't get their shit together.

>windows 7
>2018

>Windows 10
>any year

Literally every single time one of my Windows 7 servers tries to install a monthly update, it fails during configuration and reverts to its previous state after two reboots. EVERY time. I have to do a "clean boot" to install patches, which also invoves numerous reboots. it's so painful.

>My fringe case of fuckery happens to everyone

I have never had these issues in all my Windows 7 builds, guess it sucks to suck.

This right here.

>There's probably a skeleton crew left on the update service and patches for non-Windows 10 at this point.
Industry standard is that the skeleton crew will not be guys from the original dev team. They'll be loser/lifer types who are just coasting until retirement.
They know how to do the Level 1 stuff and occasionally perform a Level 1 Miracle.

>he fell for the 8 GB is enough meme
You need 16 GB RAM to use Windows effectively these days. Upgrade the RAM or install Linux on this legacy hardware.

Its clearly a virtual machine

It's not.
I just very rarely boot into Windows.

Mostly because it gives me bullshit like that to deal with.

CCC.exe suggests otherwise. Of course it could be a KVM thingy with GPU passthrough still, but I don't see anything in that screenshot suggesting that.

It usually Just Werks, but when it doesn't, it provides very little way to figure out what's wrong with it and fix it.

this shit happens when you install all the patches all at once. some aren't compatible with eachother or require you to reboot before the next can be installed

>123 updates
when was the last time you fkn updated this thing? lol

And how is that not painful shit?
Shouldn't a "just werks" style OS be smart enough to not try to install incompatible updates together?

>when was the last time you fkn updated this thing? lol
Not OP but this happens to me when I fresh install Windows on a computer. For my slow but enough for everyday use laptop, it takes many hours to complete.

It's literally only a problem because Windows treats a file open as an exclusive lock. Linux updates overwrite binaries on disk, and then you restart processes to force them to use the new versions. Zypper even has a tool "zypper ps" to show impacted processes.

i never said using legacy software wasn't painful
don't do a fresh install then.... just backup the install after updating all the files.

ironically i've gone through this exact situation by using the system recoveryon a shitty acer computer i got for free.IT WASNT EVEN SP1 QQ

Last time I had to install Win 7 I used WSUS stand-alone updater? Is that still a thing? Microsoft's update servers are horrible.

>don't do a fresh install then.... just backup the install after updating all the files.
Yes. This is a fine workaround. My point is the system shouldn't need a workaround in the first place because if it was competently designed this wouldn't be a problem.

But that's what Windows is, isn't it -- a pile of hacks and workarounds that was never really engineered to work correctly in the first place.