Tell me about Verizon Fios

Tell me about Verizon Fios

Anyone has it? How's been your experience with it? Any hidden data caps?

Soft data cap at 10TB, but soft data cap meaning you can go over 10TB a few times before they get pissy, it's only if you regularly go over 10TB they force you to a business line.

I've had FiOS since 2007.

It's fine by me.
Normally I get 900+ / 900+ but it's raining right now which fucks up everything because my house is located in a ghetto where wires are not properly maintained so when it rains everything fucking shorts out.

it's blazing fast and practically never down

the main issue is cost. it's never exactly what they advertise in the first place (expect about 60% over, with minimal plan). it's been going up steadily.those tiny fees - used to be 150 a month, but now it's about 210 - and I downgraded my speed and channels! and once you go fiber you can't go back because they pull the copper line out. well you can, but it'll cost ya.

it was more practical in the days of megaupload, but since that died I haven't downloaded as much. I did get a 1st strike warning for torrenting, so I'm not doing it anymore (it's a 6 step thingie, that was only 1 warning)

>has fast internet
>can't use it for torrents
((((((((((XD))))))))))

What were you downloading? I've been torrenting HEAVY for multiple years on them with nothing. I'm legit seeding 500 torrents 24/7 right now all public. I have protocol encryption set to accept only accept encrypted connections.

horror movies from tpb
mama I think was the title of the movie mentioned in their letter

The day I die is the day they catch me downloading Japanese ladyboy videos.

I've never paid more than $100/month as a customer with them in over a decade.

>I did get a 1st strike warning for torrenting
Just use a VPN or proxy. I seed over 1TB on average in a month and am active on several private trackers. Verizon hasn't sent me a notice in 5-6 years, back before i started using VPN/proxy.

Was planing to get the 39.99/m 100mbps plan

How much exactly is 39.99 after (((taxes)))?

Check out my markup.
79.99 -> 117.32

I have a 100/100 mbps fios plan and I'm paying 55$/mo for the first year, 89$/mo for the second (2 year contract, obviously). Where are you?

I would be careful - seems too low.

Does gigabit even make sense for the majority of people? Seems like youre pissing away money

>tfw

New Jersey

I know I know

>Living in New Jersey

I've got it, it's bretty gud.

Considering I download upwards of 2TB a month and upload roughly half that, it's not really a waste for me.
And that's just my personal use, this house has 5 heavy internet users in it, we regularly see 4-5TB a month in data use, with various times where multiple people are downloading simultaneously.

>$10 for renting the router
Are you an idiot? You can buy it from them at the inflated price of $150 and pay i off in 15 months, or you can just buy it off ebay/amazon for like $50-100.
Or if you don't use TV service you can use literally any router you want, the FiOS router is only needed for install.

Is the internet in Canada really that bad? What's it like?

Depends where you are, just like the US.

I live in SK for awhile and in the middle of nowhere small village of 140 some odd people, we had 15mbps, not too bad all things considered.

Same province over in Regina however and I was able to get 300mbps for similar price.
I think they even have 1gbps in Regina now.

Ontario probably has the widest buildout currently since they have the bulk of the population.

If it has problems I'm not buying a new one. I already had 1 softlock on me after they pushed an automatic update. It stopped working properly and I went to do a factory reset after that it got stuck at the "welcome" thing forever.

I'm waiting at least a year since they sent the replacement to consider owning it.

If you are knowledgeable about networking it isn't difficult to set up whatever router you want to use.

If you have TV/DVR and homephone services you need to make sure some ports gets forwarded properly and you need to have a MoCA adapter since most routers don't have one built in like the FiOS one.
But it's possible.

If you end up getting the 1gbps tier, i'd recommend it as the G1100 router is just barely capable of gigabit WAN performance.

It's Internet only, no phone or cable

What router do you rec?
Or should I just try and find some board and throw OpenBSD with pf on it.

Had FiOS for a few years when I lived at home. Always maxed out the line for downloads (even though it was only 30 Mbps). For uploads it would take a lot to max out the line. I was on a private tracker and seeded a bunch, would sometimes go up to 2TB/month uploaded and never got any notices from Verizon. Recently my dad switched to Comcast, 100 down/5 up. Often had problems maxing out the download (e.g., downloading from Steam), not so much the upload.

A few months ago I moved out. I saw a FiOS flyer in my development's clubhouse and there wasn't even a second thought. Currently paying $50/month for 50 Mbps symmetrical (no TV/landline). Have no problem maxing it out, either down or up. Very satisfied with it so far.

The real high-water test for me is downloading from my VPS, which is located in Europe. If a connection can max out the line downloading from there, I know it's a good connection. FiOS, either at home (when we had it) or my apartment, maxes out the line. Comcast doesn't.

Mine's only internet as well. I'm in upstate New York.

I use a PFsense custom box, really you just want something powerful enough for gigabit, and has the features you need.

>The real high-water test for me is downloading from my VPS, which is located in Europe. If a connection can max out the line downloading from there, I know it's a good connection. FiOS, either at home (when we had it) or my apartment, maxes out the line. Comcast doesn't.
I manage a steady 500-600mbps through FiOS to the netherlands. They've got great transatlantic traffic.

>caps
Topkek murricans

Considering Comcast has a 1TB data cap, as do 90% of the other data cap ISPs in the US, the fact FiOS has a 10TB soft data cap (meaning it doesn't matter if you just go over once or twice a year) is fantastic.

If you're using over 10TB a month you aren't a residential user.

The Fuck? I'm a fibre optic field tech and weather doesn't effect our lines unless they get damaged. What the fuck is Verizon doing to have their shit fucked up by the rain?

It's his neighborhood fiber cabinet that's likely the issue, probably open to the elements or not properly weather sealed.

Doubt it's anything to do with fiber runs specifically and more to do with the PONs or similar network gear for his area.

fast, reliable, 70 a month. very happy

Okay so Verizon only does FTTN? I only work with FTTP so I don't ever deal with that issue. Shit works or it doesn't there is no inbetween

No its FTTP, ONT is mounted on the exterior to the house.

GPON splits are 1:8 or 1:16 in gigabit areas, 1:32 or 1:64 in the non-gigabit areas.

My ONT is in my basement they don't allow exterior installation here

LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A MONTHLY CUSTOMER

Yeah, depends where you are. They're the same ONT's though, outside ones usually get a plastic box to cover them up though.

The interior ones have the cover too, some neighborhoods see them as ugly and don't allow it

If it's FTTP weather shouldn't be causing any disruption. Light passes or it doesn't, there really isn't anything else in the middle when it comes to fibre optic lines. At least that has been my experience

>ONT is mounted on the exterior to the house.
For what purpose?

Because they used to do Coax installations and would just tap into the coax run used by the cable company. Was easier to have them outside.

Then they decided maybe ethernet is the way to go, so now pretty much all installs are ethernet. Though they'll still do exterior ONTs if there was one already mounted there, or other particular circumstances.

>The interior ones have the cover too
Not always, my friend just has his sitting bare open, no locked cover box.

Cool, I'll look into it. I plan on dropping the phone and cable as soon as the plan rolls over anyway, I don't even use either but the bundle with the deal ended up being cheaper than the internet alone. Nothing makes sense.

No clue, I've had their service since I think 1996 and it's always been this way. When I finally got upgraded to 10Mbit DSL it was ~6 down and ~.6 up, but when it would rain it dropped to this shit and I wanted to die.

The part of the city I'm in is a shithole so it's more than likely they're not doing anything proper or modern out here.

Yeah, PA in general gets ignored by FiOS lol.

For reference my ONT is inside, ethernet, and has a plastic box that they screwed into the wall just to annoy me. It's the tiny router sized ONT not the gigantic old ones like I was expecting, if I knew it was the tiny one I'd have asked them not to put bolts in my shit.

That being said the rain still messes the service up.

I can't imagine why.

>Because they used to do Coax installations and would just tap into the coax run used by the cable company
Those cheap father fuckers

Yeah the new ONTs are small and black. Got one when I got gigabit

Yeah, but at least MoCA gave decent performance, i managed 150/150mbps for 3 years on coax.

I then upgraded to 1gbps at which point obviously ethernet was required.

(though there is at least one or two people running MoCA 2.0 bonded adapters between the ONT and the router for 800mbps on coax.

My dad's got it at his place. He bundles Internet+phone+cable TV for about $110/month. Phone is full service to all of U.S. and Canada, unlimited everything. It's always on & clear as being in the same room with whoever you're talking to. He keeps the cable package stripped since he only gets it to watch Fox all day long.

Internet is 50/50 (he's in a semi-rural area, so that's max available in his area). It goes out for about half a day once a year, otherwise 24/7/164. I do the tech support for him and my mom, so I'm out there about once a week for one reason or another (sometimes just dinner & check up on them). Since they can't even imagine how to use that much bandwidth, I set up an old P4 with a stripped down WinXP pro POS install with basic virus detection behind it's own router bridged to the Verizon mandatory router. I'm using the second router as a firewall. Anyway, it seeds out about 5 TB of torrents around the clock, and occasionally I migrate old torrents off it and download & seed new ones.

Why, you ask, I tell you this? I upload about 4 TB/month on average, and download about 1/2 TB. Mostly music, some movies & (rarely) games, plus a bit of anime.

In the last 8 years, Verizon has never complained once about anything, except a single takedown notice for one movie. They sent a polite email telling us that they had received a complaint and would we please stop seeding it. That was 3 years ago.

In all, I have political reasons to be concerned about some of the shit Verizon does. They are not a consumer advocacy group, and they spend shitloads of money to influence Federal law in ways that are very consumer unfriendly. However, as a provider, they have been rock-solid and never given me a reason for personal service complaint. Nobody I know of has complained about them.

Comcast is the only other option, and it's little more than a criminal organization with truly shit service.

>used to have Comcast cable
>switch to fios
>a few months later Comcast comes by and takes their coax back without warning
wew

>In all, I have political reasons to be concerned about some of the shit Verizon does. They are not a consumer advocacy group, and they spend shitloads of money to influence Federal law in ways that are very consumer unfriendly. However, as a provider, they have been rock-solid and never given me a reason for personal service complaint. Nobody I know of has complained about them.
>
>Comcast is the only other option, and it's little more than a criminal organization with truly shit service.

This describes me, but i've got gigabit with them.

Been with them for over a decade and started at 15mbps.

>I have political reasons to be concerned about some of the shit Verizon does.
>However, as a provider, they have been rock-solid and never given me a reason for personal service complaint.
I hate this feeling so much. I don't want to support them but between them, comcast, and the local companies, they provide the best service.

Got fios in Pittsburgh.
Only problems I notice is the latency isn't that good and they throttle YouTube from like 5pm to 8pm.

>they throttle YouTube
They don't actively anyway.
It's just local peering issues, too many people on the network trying to reach the youtube servers so the interconnects between your area and youtube servers gets clogged up.

This could be fixed by upgrading their interconnects, but they usually are jews so who knows.

Things like this make me want ad-hoc / local P2P shit to become the norm so bad. I want to be able to pull video data directly over wifi via IPFS from my neighbors laptop.

>For what purpose?
There's a lot to be said for running fibre to the exterior and copper indoors. Fibre isn't as fragile as is often suggested, but once it's broken, it's difficult and expensive to fix. Also, issues with the ONT can be diagnosed without needing access to the home.

In the UK, I have GPON with an indoors ONT. It's working fine but I do question the wisdom of indoors fibre runs. Those last few metres of copper (be it CATx or coax) aren't going to impact the performance in any way.

Virgin (the only coax cable provider here) is starting to do FTTP for new deployments, and their approach is to run fibre (carrying an RFoG signal) to an exterior ONT and coax through the wall. The ONT is reverse powered through that same coax, and the modem/router is the same as is provided for normal coax services (no need to support two kinds of equipment).

I haven't personally encountered that kind of install yet but it strikes me as a good solution, probably better than running fibre indoors.

ah, but do you have phone and TV on the same plan?

I use it for torrents all the time idk wtf you are talking about

No because i use neither.

>I did get a 1st strike warning for torrenting, so I'm not doing it anymore (it's a 6 step thingie, that was only 1 warning)
>I use it for torrents all the time idk wtf you are talking about
Fucking retard.

Use a proxy, PIA gets me over 500mbps throughput and i've never gotten a notice, cost is less than $3 a month.

You are truly a Mongoloid.
Stop trying to defend Assizon and stop replying to replies to others' replies.

I've had FiOS for years. Never an outage or problem.

I've downloaded 2-3 terabytes in a month when building my movie and TV library. Never a peep or throttle from FiOS.

Definitively recommend, mainly because of their "no caps" policy. They're a bit pricey for the speed they offer, but its rock solid, and having no caps is very stress free.