/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Recent News:
>Xiaomi launches Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro
gizchina.com/2018/02/14/redmi-note-5-pro-note-5-launched-specs-prices-and-related-info/
>LG to introduce Vision AI with refreshed V30 at MWC 2018
gsmarena.com/lg_introduce_vision_ai_refreshed_v30_mwc_2018-news-29597.php
>Leak reveals Android 8.1-powered Sony Xperia XZ2 Pro with 18:9 display
gsmarena.com/leak_reveals_android_81powered_sony_xperia_xz2_pro_with_189_display-news-29592.php

Subbing in for the Kirino fag edition.

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/MWLcYrqv
youtube.com/watch?v=-wsHWQSmRQQ&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=EOXuhsCKrvc
androidcentral.com/android-one-based-nokia-7-189-display-and-dual-lens-zeiss-camera-surfaces
circuit.com.uy/celulares-y-smartphones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i want to FUG kirino

Holy fuck, the XZ Premium is great.

nice quads

If only it looked great.

I've installed the latest android studio but I don't have that folder path?
halp

I get my G6 on Tuesday, any G6 owners ITT?
Do you have it rooted and rom'd? Was it worth it?

Me too.
checked

>phone suddenly stuck on google screen in infinite loop

please tell me i can save my data

also is Sup Forums fucked up for anyone else

Whoops.

జ్ఞా

I just broke my LG G3. Is there a phone in the 200 dollar range that beats it or should i just buy another g3?

Where's the updated news :(
Kirinoguy, don't leave us.

V20 maybe
how'd it break?

Just got the international ver Xaoimi Mi A1 omfgggggg it's comfy af, anyone else on love with it?

face first onto a cement floor at work. It was a refurbished model so it only ran me 150 bucks. I run on a pay as you go carrier so i like me some unlocked gsm phones. I know dick all about phones though now im sifting through benchmarks liek an asshole trying to get something i can 2 day ship. Maybe i might spend a little more but IDK.

if you're down for another refurb then stick with if you want something new check out /csg/ for their recommendations, it'll probably end up with you getting a xiaomi

It's a very unflattering picture of the phone.

pastebin.com/MWLcYrqv

fugg i wanted to try to avoid chinkshit. I generally use my phone stock, but like the idea of rooting. Worst part about this is i need it by fucking monday. If i expand my budget to 400 is there something else? Are One pluses trash heaps, i rmember them being fawned over for a while/

spg = incest
hpg = feet
glmg = loli and shorta

until you start seeing apps force closing and features missing.

whats the fastest keyboard/ text input method on Android?

Need mid-range. Sony Xperia xa2 or Motorola x4?

>sexy color scheme
>only ~$500 bucks
My 950's headphone jack just died so I'm getting used to the whole "no headphone jack" meme, and Essential claims to be coming out with a headphone jack Connector thing for their backplate attachments.

Talk me out of it Sup Forums

If you want to stick to LG, you can get used GSM unlocked LG G6 on eBay or sometimes swappa for $250. You can get it new for $400. It's a very good phone.

Don't bother with importing phones. Most aren't fully compatible. You'll be only using 3G on the "compatable" ones, so internet browsing, social media and downloads will be slow.

The Honor 7x is the current meme budget phone. $200 unlocked GSM on Amazon, pretty solid phone all around and the 18:9 aspect ratio is quickly becoming the market standard.

Other misc. choices:
>the OnePlus 5T is highly recommended if you want to keep saving, arguably the best smartphone around, and $500
>the Essential Phone has a really unique design and good build for $300 used, $500 new; very big screen but small form factor, smaller company though
>the Google Pixel (both normal and XL) are great phones with excellent software that gets lots of support by Google, can be found used or refurbished for $350-$300 most places, they should last a long time
>the Nextbit Robin is a phone I used for a while, solid little phone with specs that were flagship in early 2016, can be had new on Amazon for just $120, however the company was bought by Razer to make the Razer Phone, and the Robin no longer gets software updates. It got it's last update to Nougat last year. The build quality feels kinda cheap, it's all plastic, but it's been surprisingly durable.

Hope this helps.
It's worth noting that over the next couple of years, basically every company will move to 18:9 aspect ratio on their phones, and software will likely follow. Something to keep in mind.

Also (same poster as before) I had the Oneplus One, and it was the best phone I ever had. I really wish I wouldn't have slammed my chair leg on it.

If you're really into rooting and modding, Oneplus or the Pixel phones are the way to go.

Anybody know if there's going to be a price drop for the Samsung Galaxy S8 through AT&T soon?

probably not until the S9 is announced at the earliest

Wasn't it announced and given a release date already?

okay so I'll mini-review the FREETEL MUSASHI! my better smartphone is a moto g4 plus, for reference, I'm no flagship guy, so when I say "adequate performance", that is what I compare it to!

goods:
+ a fully working android flip phone, cool
+ build feels nice, buttons feel nice
+ buttons work well with the software
+ performance is just about adequate for most necessary tasks
+ it is getting kinda cheap by now, so not a necessarily a bad pick for a secondary phone for the weebs
+ good bandwidth support for 2G, 3G and LTE
+ removable battery!
+ using it feels like I'm from an anime!

bads:
- I think I'd prefer it if it didn't have two big touch screens but the outer shell was just plastic with maybe a small screen
- battery life kinda sucks 'cause it has a small battery. it probably sucks 1-3% an hour even if you don't use it much
- no 3,5mm jack, gotta use microUSB adapter
- the device would be better if it was a little bit smaller - the size is pretty much like if you stacked two iPhone 5 on top of each other and installed a hinge - the screens could very well be like 3,5" if it meant a smaller device, in my opinion
- the screens should indeed either be smaller or have a higher res

tl;dr its a pretty nice thing if you want to use it like a glorified feature phone. biggest single problem is the small battery, if it was better, I could actually recommend the phone

holy fucking shit how autistic must you be to actually write/collect a detailed analysis/explanation like this
i mean i think its a decent analysis but it doesnt address some of kirino's main drives throughout the series, such as half of the reason she goes to america, or why the love between the two actually exists
it does well explaining most of the subtleties throughout the series (the kiss in the epilogue, why kirino let her friends confess, what life consulting actually means for the two of them)
i agree with most of line 19, i.e. why kirino tries to distance herself from kyousuke at multiple times throughout the series, and i'd like to expand on it saying that kirino, for the major part of the LNs hates her love for kyousuke. this is probably due to kyousuke's change after the sakurai "incident" and his normalization and continued association with his manipulator (manami). an extrapolation on it could be that kirino hates that she is unable to do anything about it. she excels at pretty much everything, theres not much she cant accomplish, but she cant win over kyousuke (or even tell him her feelings).
partly because of her being a bit dere-dere if she's not on edge, and also insecurities forced on her by manami in her youth. this makes her hesitant to go all in and succeed, which is why she has always failed in this regard

notch is trash

OnePlus 5 or 5T

why do you have to choose between the two? Why not just get the "upgraded" one in the 5T?

price

answer me!

Lineage doesn't come rooted, you have to use a 3rd party root, right?
Which one should I use?

Minecraft was pretty fun

Specs wise? disregard the ROM. Note 4x or MI A1?

Anyone uses Huawei phones?
Did you get the latest updates with the android security patch?

is 100k in antutu good?

> (You)
>until you start seeing apps force closing and features missing.
It's stock Android lol not sure how what you are talking about can happen, it's not the MiUi

Samsung S8 or be a normie and get an iPhone 8 Plus

XA2 is a beautiful phone for normies. Since you're on Sup Forums, you should probably go Moto though.

XA2, easily

Moto g5 plus my dude

why is my touchscreen not detecting touches at low resolution but is fine in higher?

Any way to change the menu colours on Android 8.0? The default white and blue is hideous.

grab a used iShill 6 Plus 64gb for 70$ like me. Good camera good screen good IO what not to like? except crash at below 0c and ridiculous battery drop :^)

shit i meant good UI not IO

anyone?

It's decent

My $99 Mi4C on SD808 gets 80k. Redmi Note 3 Pro gets 88k on sd650. My mix 2 gets 189k on sd835.

So I flashed the SU addon from the lineage website but root checker still says I don't have root.

I'm using Oneplus 2, costed me 90 Euros and running Lineage. probably best performance to price and getting also 5+ hours of sot. 4gb ddr4 ram is also pretty great. this thing aged very well

My coworker has one and goes on about how it's insanely shitty, he says he gets like 2hrs SOT and it just drains half his battery at work in his backpack

But the kid is retarded. He keeps running all these special bleeding edge supersnowflake builds with dumb kernels and probably every fuckin thing is broken and wakelocking.

He won't run stock because he's left handed and hates the capacitive buttons so he wants a navbar, and he won't run lineage because it's not special enough. He paid $600 for his OP2 and shits on me for paying $600 for a mi mix 2 lol

lol wtf why would you pay 600 xD that's so stupid. It's faster than an S7 actually but still weird

Kek

Burger bucks

The hardware generation of the OP2 is that if a S6. S7 has SD820 and will get 160k antutu, but lineage has less bloat

S7 gets about 130k now

youtube.com/watch?v=-wsHWQSmRQQ&t=0s

So 8GB isn't a meme huh

>i mean i think its a decent analysis but it doesnt address some of kirino's main drives throughout the series, such as half of the reason she goes to america
It does, she's running away from kyousuke who she's deeply in love with. She knows that she can drown herself in her passion of running and eventually leave her passion for kyousuke behind but it's fucking futile because her passion for kyousuke fuels her other passions and without him she's not the same.

>or why the love between the two actually exists
It does partly, mamani is a huge cunt who wanted to turn kyousuke into a fucking normie and severed the sibling ties between him and kirino by using the dumb rock climbing incident with that dumb girl to do so. Thus a cold war transcended to feelings of romantic love that burned so hot it could melt steel beams and no amount of fronting could extinguish.

This is a really dumb question, but is there any kind of chance I would fuck something up when I factory reset a phone? I just bought an used phone [spoiler]give it back Jamal[/spoiler] and I want to reset it, but I feel like my dumb ass would manage to screw it up somehow

Also is it really this easy to reset an Android phone? All I need to do is hold down two buttons, what kind of theft protection is that. Does it not even ask for a password? I lost my old phone a while back and this doesn't fill me with very much confidence that I would manage to get it back, if they just need to press some buttons and claim it as their own

if the bootloader is not unlocked or no twrp you need to get into the phone settings and reset it from there

Considering buying a new phone just for the heck of it.

I have a HTC now and am considering going with a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Thoughts?

dogshit, get 5t for best android or note 8 for best features/function

Anyone?

Thanks lads, I really wanted the xa2 but the plastic back lack of quick charger out of the box and no waterproofing are a buzzkill. I'm probably gonna return my xa2 and get a Moto x4. Sony was almost perfect this time. Almost

>Sexy color scheme
That particular color does not even exist.

Honestly it seems like a good phone. I love the small form factor. Compact flagships are literally perfect. Still wish it had a dedicated headphone jack though. The module meme is a joke. Moto did it, LG did it. None of them succeeded.

Should I get a chink phone?

>no 3.5mm jack
Why do they do this

If someone has done a factory reset on their phone and haven't set up a Google account on it after that, will it ask for Google account verification if I do a new reset? Picture is what I mean, once the phone is finished setting itself up, you need to login to verify it's your phone. I'm just wondering what happens if no account has been created after the last reset, will it ask for the account from before or does it just let you in right away?

Basically I got a used 3T but I didn't ask what the lock screen pattern is, so I can't do anything with this thing yet. Now he isn't answering my message when I tried asking what the pattern is, so I wanted to do a hard reset again. Bt I'm worried I'll totally lock myself out. Apparently there's some kind of bypass for this on this phone but I don't know if it has been patched so I'm hesitant to try it

Because you touch yourself at night

give it back tyrone

Looks really nice. where'd you buy it and how much did it cost?

This seems really retarded though, can it be this easy to get into an Android phone? youtube.com/watch?v=EOXuhsCKrvc

Lg g6 or v20? Are those worth in this day and age? Both are kinda the same price where i live

How do you clean your phone?
Without ruining the oleophobic layer?

ebay, cost like $120 with shipping

it isn't a good deal spec-wise but hey, it is unique and a much better phone than something like the lenovo flip phone

LG has flip phones that might be comparable (wine smart, easy smart, ice cream smart are their names) and samsung has those higher end flip phones that are probably 300% better

seriously no idea. the phone isn't exactly thin so surely it can't be to fit more tech in...

Alcohol pads.
(Might be dumb) (might also make your phone's paint rub off)

alright boyos, some time ago i accidently waterboarded my oneplus one.
core functionality is still there, but i've begun to notice random disconnects from 3g /4g /wifi data networks since.

right now i'm looking at all the meme phones to potentially replace it:
>purism librem 5
>copperhead pixel 2
>nokia 8
>జ్ఞా-phone 7
>జ్ఞా-phone SE or nu-SE
>i still have my old galaxy s2 laying around :^)

Pls tell me why my choices are shit, thanks.

Why the hell is this shit not working

There's a ton of apns on my sim card by default, but none of them work and i can't connect to any of the mobile networks either- I tried making a new apn and still nothing. Do I need to get another sim card or something from metro? Should I just wait for the mix 2s?

christ... so i am debating between the following:

>getting a 5t for myself so i have dual sim (removes 2 phones for work)
>getting a samsung s8 at discount for my waifu who has a dying iphone 6
>getting a samsung s8 for both of us

any other recommendations? wat do

iPhone 7 is only $500 new right now its a great deal. Just the 8 is $200 more used/new

Pixel 2 project fi e-sim + work sim

How many bands are active on the Mi phone in USA for Tmobile/metro? I thought xiaomi didn't work here unless "global version' and only 1 or 2 frequencies

Sell your waifu and get two 5t's to remove 4 phones for work.

>Want to get a new phone with a good camera, headphone jack, expandable memory, and with decent support
>All of them have some sort of stupid feature like curved displays or lacking a headphone jack, or terrible bloatware
Why.

motorola, LG

I just bricked my Neffos C5L after trying to install cyanogenmod on it.
It would reboot every 2 minutes, very unstable.
I started in recovery again and tried to install the latest official firmware, now the phone gets stuck on the logo and never starts, hard reset doesn't work.
I don't know if there is a way to fix it, it is a very low-end phone anyway, always a bit slow.

If I wanted something with at least 2GB of RAM, and I didn't want to spend too much, what would you recommend? Android please.
Have in mind prices are typically around 30-40% higher where I live, compared to MSRP.
Can't go much more than 200 bucks.

androidcentral.com/android-one-based-nokia-7-189-display-and-dual-lens-zeiss-camera-surfaces

Companies learned from apple that you can remove useful features and still make more cash.

Xiaomi Redmi series

Why didn't apple just make another lightning port at the top for headphones since their argument is 3.5mm jack uses too much space. I hate apple and my iPhone 8 is great except I can't charge and listen to headphones, can't find a splitter easily eithet because iOS blocks chinkshit third party accessories and says "device not supported" error

Thanks, I'm actually considering a Redmi 4A (costs 155USD)
This is the place where I'll probably buy one on Monday: circuit.com.uy/celulares-y-smartphones

I wonder if it worth it to pay 50 more dollars for a similar phone with a octa-core cpu, considering I don't play other games than Chess on it, I just care about it being fast for general tasks (browsing, chat, gps, a few gadgets)

Their argument is bullshit since the space 3.5jack use to take is empty(and you can fit a jack there - it's been done).

>Moto X4
>Amoled
>300€
>Antutu: 70 000

>Honor 9
>no Amoled
>350€
>Antutu: 152 000

how the fuck do you chose between these 2?

With that cash you'd be better off with chinkshit.

Do you play games? Look at the battery life ratings too. If you don't game you'll like the X4 much more for better display, android, and camera.