Love your enemy

Sup Forums is typically a pretty hostile place, so how about showing some love towards something you hate?

>Your favorite thing about an OS that you dislike?
>Something you actively dislike about your current OS?
>How would you change them to be better?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos Home
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Your favorite thing about an OS that you dislike?
WIndows contains retarded millennials, trophy wives and technologically incompetent permavirgin sweaty basement dwelling gaymer neckbeard manchildren very well.
>>Something you actively dislike about your current OS?
I hate that there are microsoft shitstain botNET core compatibility layers that exist in Linux.
>>How would you change them to be better?
By staying the same

>gano+loonix
nice for ricing and servers, shit for everything else
>toddleros
good for consuming media, shit for actual work
>winshit
good for work and and games, looks like shit and unstable

I fucking hate Solaris, but it's the last real UNIX designed for the enterprise.
Systemd. I'm forced to use systemd/Linux because I don't use x86 machines and spooshal snowflaek distros without it aren't available.
Make Solaris open source.
Fucking anihilate everyone at Oracle and give Leonard Pottery a brain tumor that renders him unable to use a computer ever again.

>Make Solaris open source.
wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos Home

No. Not community projects. Actual Solaris, as it's always been before or*cle bought Sun.

>>Your favorite thing about an OS that you dislike?
Although macOS is a children's sandbox that is controlled more by Apple than the user, at least it is Unix based and has an actual terminal
>>Something you actively dislike about your current OS?
The fragmentation among Linux is both a blessing and a curse, it gives the user freedom to choose from many different programs and DE/WMs, however if it could be a little more unified on some of the more important fronts it would be so much fucking better.
>>How would you change them to be better?
I wouldn't, I've never created an operating system so I'm not going to say I could do anything better than the people that are

OP here

I really want to be able to enjoy some *nix OS, but the fragmented software and documentation is ridiculous. Every distro religiously uses a different set of basic utilities, package managers, etc.; but the documentation is 6 months old and doesn't cover this release' features, only the previous one.
It truly is inhospitable for people that aren't willing to sit down for a few hundred hours to dig around on the internet for answers to basic questions.
>Windows
So many legacy features.
Why the fuck are we still using NTFS?
Who the fuck thought the registry was a good idea?
The folder structure is retarded.
But the software selection is fantastic, and you get an acceptable level of control over the OS to make it usable.
*nix OSes are really getting better with time. I'd like to see the basic systems being a little more consistent, being able to look up a simple guide and not being confused as fuck when the utilities referenced don't exist on your OS.
Also fuck Vim.

As for windows, lose the damn legacy systems, holy shit.

Fucked up my own first question, lol.
>The ability to customise EVERYTHING in the front-end is a godsend

Honestly, i don't know what you're talking about when you say *nix operating systems have bad documentation. It's pretty easy to find out how to use software, you just use the man page and search for what you want to do with the software. If you don't know what program you need you use apropos.
Sure, there is a little learning curve figuring out how to teach yourself, but after that it really is a breeze.

>also fuck vim
Then don't use it. There are always alternatives. That being said, I love vim, learning it has been one of the best things I've ever done computer wise.

at least osx is not windows
not enough audio interfaces compatible with linux. Not really their fault though
dunno i'm not knowledgeable enough to know if i fucked up or if shits broken by design

>the documentation is 6 months old
That would make it better than about 99% of all other documentation. Some commercial/industry documentation is years, or even decades out of date, and only half complete, and that's being charitable.

>The fragmentation among Linux is both a blessing and a curse

Linux fragmentation is a myth, it's all Red Hat now

underrated

Audio stack on Mac OS X is God-tier; UNIX based means better development compared to Windows
Windows 10 LTSB: Updates aren't transparent; if they kept the Win 7 updating system it would be better. Oh and no more theming support and muh telemetry
Linux: Shit audio stack; we had to get Pootering to create PulseAudio to *solve* these problems. Oh and package management means outdated software for stable distros, while Windows and Mac users get more updated software
Windows: Revert to a Win 7 philosophy, or at least unlock more of these features for the Pro+ Win 10
Linux: tear out the entire audio subsystem and start from scratch; introduce a compability layer for those using older stuff
Package management: flatpak/appimage/etc are solving this problem, but needs more adoption

>linux
I like the command line
>windows 10
Layers upon layers of hacks
No classic mode or any theme customability otherwise
No unix command line
>linux
no more driver problems
all win32 programs magically converted to linux ELFs
>win
improve WSL so that it's actually useful
desktop themes
unix shell
remove spyware and bloatware
shit, imagine being this butthurt over an operating system

not playing games in 2018 is like not watching movies. you're uncivilized

>be nice to your enemies and they will be nice to you
cool

Windows: driver support and gayming, CAD applications

OSX: just werks and at least it's still a *nix

Linux: so much choice and it's free.

>Windows
The software comparability is second to none, pretty much everything has a windows binary
>Linux
Can't run my obscure weeb games and WINE is a piece of shit to get working right
Linux having 100% comparability with windows software and making the windows shell more customizable

>favorite thing about OS I dislike
OSX has some great "it just werkz" OS applications (and an actual terminal emulator), and the virtual machine for Windows is pretty well-integrated.
>Things I dislike in my OS
>GNU/Linux
Debian is old as shit, and installing some software can be a royal pain filled with endless wiki trolling. Game support is fledgling at best.
>Windozer
Windows 10 is a half-baked abortion that tried to streamline Win 8 much like 7 to Vista. The LTSB release has fewer blatant issues, but ultimately there's hardly any reason to use 10 over 7.
>Fixan issues
>Debian
Standardizing installers and configuration interfaces would go a long way. I hate the idea of learning a new scripting language just to change some shit in a config file; that could be done with a GUI.
>Win10
Unfuck the flat-nothing UI and go back to what works. Prioritize enterprise usage; pandering too hard to chic normalfags is not M$'s strength. Either that, or just start over with a new code base and a cordoned-off emulator for legacy applications.

That there's only one company developing it, therefore there's no divide among users and devs.
Systemd taking control.
Make windows open source, but I very much doubt that I'd come back to windows.
And talking about linux (is just a kernel) I wish useres and devs would be more united and listen each other. (Fucking Pottering)

>Software selection is fantastic on MS© windows OS™
>Ikr! Why linux OS do not create software for their OS like windows does? Lol, what a stoopid neckbeards!
>Windows is so cool because MS© creates software for Windows xD

Jesus, OP, calm down your down syndrome...

>winshit (dislike)
I actually really like flat design. If MS dropped the retard tiles, the metro/modern interface, cortana, and the nagging notification, they would have a pretty good desktop OS.
>iToddler OS (dislike)
I have never used it, but apple is one of the few manufacturers pushing for laptops with high-res screens, which is something I appreciate. Too bad all of their screens are glossy trash.
>Android (dislike)
I hate that it's so locked down because some smartass google engineers think normies would be unable to handle the same privileges they have on a desktop on a phone, but I'm glad it exists so we don't have to deal with having 4-5 competing smartphone OSes, and it's partly open source, so at least there are custom ROMs.
>Lincucks (like)
There are way too many competing desktop environments and distros in my opinion. I'm not saying there should be only one, but I feel like currently there are more tools than jobs in the Linux world.

Printers actually work on Windows without a problem.
(GNU/)Linux has shit printer support, CUPS is a piece of shit that doesn't work.

a lot of research and machine learning software is only compatible with linux (or extra difficult to get going on win or macOS)

why do you people not understand that it doesn't matter who creates it or "who's fault it is"? people are going to use and like what works, just as it doesn't matter if linus caught a cold and couldn't develop that driver or his grandma died and he had to attend her funeral
the only thing that matters is what's actually useful, excuses are irrelevant

you can literally replace systemd with just apt-get

>wangblows
its monopolistic market position means it has good compatibility
>linux
setting up basic programs is way too time consuming
>better
make wangblows open sores and make linux less painful to use

How do you configure apt-get as init?

On a serious note though: not every distro just lets you drop-in remove and replace systemd. On arch I end up having to keep the fucking thing around anyway because the other option is to have to recompile aur packages every time I update so I have a working eudev and other shit.

Im not a big fan of MacOS but i must say, for incompetent people with money its really the bees knees. Everything works without tweaking and and there is nothing you can do wrong. Things like making backups (Time Machine (tm)) works like a charm and even an idiot can make mac dualboot.

I hate everything, even the stuff I use.

>like about windows
c# gui programming
>dont like about linux
audio
>change it
well, a rewrite from scratch but thats easier said than done

I like how wintards are giving credit to MS for other companies just developing for larger userland.
This has nothing to do with OS itself you mongoloids! It does with it's popularity, but this is Sup Forums not /fa/, you cunts. So speak about actual OS and not irrelevant software to OS.

I hope that my previous mockery is clear to you now. Sometimes I forget how slow you guys are.

Can someone post the picture of Sup Forums before and during summer? The one where Sup Forums has a Linux windows Mac friendship club before summer. Thanks in advance.

I like the thread idea
>Windows
You can play games on it
>MacOS
I had to download magnet for nice window managment, also play/pause button(by default) works for last played not music only.
>Windows
Change NTFS to something like ZFS, fix stability, remove botnet, change console commands for more unix like
>Linux
Just add more supported apps for it, try to unify it a little bit more
>MacOS
Window managment, revert play/pause button, wait until more devs add support to it
>All of them
Standarized global darkmode(And I don't mean flux just darktheme)
Pic not related