I'm going to have only an eMac available to use as my main computer for the next 2-3 months...

I'm going to have only an eMac available to use as my main computer for the next 2-3 months. What am I in for Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2274612
openbsd.org/macppc.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It'll shitpost as well as the next PC.

Nice to hear I guess.

Hope you like beach balls. How much RAM does that thing have, 128 MB? You're going to see the spinning beach ball a lot.

I advise using your phone for all internet things and using the emac as a word processor, calendar and spreadsheet. Trying to run Chrome on that...eee.

It's the top of the line one that was sold to education, 1.25ghz and has 512 mb of ram. I might have some extra memory lying around i could use. I was thinking of using Tenfourfox and Mactube for media consumption, I don't doubt any of the things you mentioned would be a problem.

Backup the Leopard installation; install Linux on it.
Not alot of people are making PowerPC binaries anymore

get ready to be cozy

they smell good when warm

download escape velocity and sim city

IIRC, they support up to 1gb or RAM.

I've got the 450mhz DV edition and that came with 1gb pre-installed.

We're talking about eMacs here, not iMacs, plus no G3 ever came with a gig of ram.

Back when OS X was near perfection...Time Machine was when the wheels started coming off. MacOS is still good though it's just not what it used to be when it was simpler.

not even meming install gentoo, I was running one for years with xfce and it was real comfy

>Not alot of people are making PowerPC binaries anymore
Chromium used to be regularly compiled for PPC

Just go to your local high school or community college and ask if there selling surplus Optiplexes. I got an Optiplex 780 for $5, they threw in a 15 in monitor and KB&M for another $5. You can probably find something like that nearby. They wipe the hdd including the Os so I put Lubuntu on mine and using it as a NAS.

The eMac IS a FREE computer I got from a high school a while back, I can't exactly get anything else, due to eMacs being all my board has to give.

Not always though. Lots of times you'll find something just as shitty.

Homosexuality.

Seriously how does one do this without appearing weird? Should I call ahead of time?

As some kind of experiment or what? I recommend you keep to leopard for the crt controls alone...

Thats cool and all but there are ways a RasPi running chromeos is a more capable computer nowadays.

Nah my L430 just shit the bed, and I have some other expenses to take care of before I can get another computer.

I got lucky, in my uni's tech club it was announced to us. But I imagine if you reached out to a representative for the school's tech department I'm sure they'd give you an answer. Like I said the drives are all DoD wiped so there's nothing on them, so asking about it isn't like asking about student information. But yes call ahead of time.

Just wander around the school until you come across some back room where they keep all the garbage, and if you find a computer, ask to take it.

Or just take it and act like you know what you are doing.

I lived with a shitty HP Pavillion with an AMD Athlon XP running XP Home Edition on barely 1gb of ram until early to mid 2016.

The computer had less processing power then a budget smartphone from 2014, not even support for SSE2, so something like running the latest version of iTunes was far out of the question. Firefox ran like a pig.

If I was able to manage with that fucking boat, you'll do fine with an eMac. PowerPC based I think? There are some browsers that are specifically designed to run on that architecture, YouTube may be a tad bit sketchy but should run ok. You'll only be able to run up to 10.5 (Leopard) iTunes is entirely out of the question, same with doing email thru any sort of browser, at least reasonably.

There may be some sort of Linux distro you can try for PowerPC, but I Honestly don't know. Using a fucking eMachines sounds more reasonable then a PowerPC.

A decent time. Max the memory and you've got an okay machine for browsing and old games. You can play Sim City 2, Doom 3, THPS4, etc. Install TenFourFox for your browser, last I checked VLC still supported PowerPC so I'd use that or mpv for videos, Tigerbrew for package management, etc. You'll find your way, there's actually a surprising amount of software that's either still useful or still developed.

eMacs are G4s, the one he has maxes at 2GiB memory. G3s at best max at 1GiB.

You can sill run the OS 9 emulator. Go out and grab some greybeard stuff and play with it, all the way back to 68k. Some of those older programs are amazing. WriteNow was considered quite good, and there was a version of Word still considered Microsoft at it's peak.

They'll still do stuff. Lots of commercial abandonware and contrary to PPC Tiger/Leopard is probably the least neglected 2000s era platform thanks to Floodgap and Tigerbrew. Being a Unix environment it's also plenty capable to work on beefier remote systems if you have them available. I guess you could just put Linux (or OpenBSD) on it, I always found that a kind of boring route though.

I always loved the eMac, it just has a real fleet shitbox-y feel to it. Be patient with it though, it'll do what it was made to do acceptably but it's better to moderate your expectations when it comes to responsiveness. I think those later ones are DDR systems though, so they'll be a little better than the SDRAM models I have experience with.

TenFourFox is slow as balls in my experience. TenFourKit/leopard-webkit or Camino are much more usable IMO. Not as compatible with modern sites though, especially for Camino.

A bad time? Unless you install Linux on it. Pretty sure there's a ppc version of arch, if not then there's still yellow dog

DDR didn't make much difference on G4s since the link from CPU to chipset remained SDR running at 166MHz max, so the extra speed of the RAM couldn't be used.

Play Halo on it

>Pretty sure there's a ppc version of arch
Why not suggest Gentoo PPC as well if you're going to meme? Debian has a PPC port and it will probably be an easier time for the OP. Yellow Dog is pretty much dead at this point.

sorry user.

You know, i miss the acrylic aesthetic these days, everything is aluminium and it's gotten a little boring.

When I was daily driving an iMac G4/800 at work I'd run both Camino and TFF for that reason, only busting out the latter when I hit some JavaScript that really didn't want to work for me.
That sucks, never really knew that. I've honestly never had any first hand experience with a DDR G4, my best system is a dual 1 GHz Quicksilver.

My mom still sometimes uses one of these , though she has a tablet and stuff that's newer too.

back in late 2015 my comp broke so I had to use an old 12" Powerbook for a month with 1.25 GB of ram and OS X Tiger. web-browsing was painful as fuck even when using meme browsers and having all flash disabled. it was comfy though

I'm using leopard, anyone know if it's any less painful?

Nvidia graphics are awful on those systems to get working though. Tbh it wouldn't be so bad if I weren't so lazy but to effectively get it working right you either have to go for no hardware acceleration (HA!) and compile your own graphics driver and either way you're gonna have to SSH into the system because KMS is a mess on PowerPC NVidia. ATI Graphics have no problems though.

My question is if there is a way to get a better GPU than a 7xxx series on my PowerMac G5? PCIe model and all I really care about is linux since I'm not a gigantic faggot.

You should just be able to install a newer one. It probably won't work with Open Firmware but I don't see why it wouldn't work with Linux.

I was wrong, it was leopard now that you mention it (I just remembered the transluced menu bar). It had tiger installed prior to that so that's why I was confused

you are fucked mate. try maybe installing firefox and one of those extensions that render websites to pre 2.0 era

friend of mine had some success running linux with a radeon 5870 on his old G5.

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2274612

It'll be OK. Try openbsd.org/macppc.html on it.

You don't get the translucent menu bar on a PowerBook 12", the GPU doesn't support it.

Install lubuntu

emacs suck

vim is better

Mmmm... CRT. Why they don't make CRT nowadays?

Cancer.

LCDs are smaller and lighter

>emacs suck
>vim is better
OSX has both.

>Install lubuntu
Why?
So he can learn first-hand how miserable you are?

Whenn the eMac was made the cost of LCDs was far too high for a school computer.
CRTs were very old and well-understood technology.
Besides, the eMac weighed 50lbs to make stealing it difficult.

I never said anything that contradicted any of that.

Thanks.

make sure you download tenfourfox and make sure you brace yourself for youtube running incredibly slowly. Other than that, just like using a really old anything in general.

There's no chrome PPC port, you have to use a firefox or better yet TenFourFox which is better and more updated than the PPC binaries..

I have a 440mhz PowerMac G4 with 1G of ram.

It's very slow, I think your best bet is installing Linux and going as lightweight you can.

The last supported debian version on ppc32 was Jessie and Ubuntu it was 16.04 (not entirely sure)