"I'm a self taught X"

>"I'm a self taught X"

I'm a self taught repair technician, and I work for HP and Lenovo, user.

Most programmers are self-taught.

great thread user

That are employed?
I kind of doubt that.

Hello, my router isn't blinking anymore. What do I do?

Did you turn it off and turn it back on?

Doing my own learning feels good.

I would hire a self taught with an impressive portfolio over someone who was the best goy in the Prussian education system.

Its not that rare. Afterall, most people are only into programming these days because your education system and media are desparetly shilling it as the key to the future. The OG's has to learn on their own.

This. I love doing my own work, not being told how things should be.

That didn't work. Can you transfer me to someone who knows what they're doing.

Repair technicians don't troubleshoot over the phone you tropical snake.

>Its not that rare.
Yes, it is, you absolute retard.

akchually no one can learn for you

Thanks to the internet, being a self-taught anything isnt that hard. I’ve got a whole library of academic ebooks at my fingertips.

wagecuck can never learn shit themself

Alan Turing was self taught.

Is it? The most intense comp sci class I took in college was the algorithms class, but I just got a SWE job.

im self taught everything

fight me nigga

>self taught
>self employed
>making more money than any code monkey out there with a masters in CS

Stay mad

I'm 21 and the youngest programmer at one of the best software development companies in my country. I dropped out of uni after 2 years of bullshit.

I'm a code monkey with only a bachelor's in CS. Show a timestamped photo of your 1040 for 2017 and I'll show my W2.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your weird American acronyms

Let me guess, you earn 10000 euros a year in some third world shithole and think yoh're rich.

It appears my superiority has caused you a significant degree of frustration

>it seems my larping has been called out

I can almost taste your despair at your poor life choices

I'm not in despair. The one that is is the third world shitholer who needs to make stuff up on an anonymous imageboard.

Denial, huh? Good luck getting over your depression, hope you don't end up like the 72% of code monkeys that end up offing themselves

Poonigger detected

i'm a self taught self teacher

can i get my participation award now

>he hires people who need to be spoonfeed and can't think for themselves
I bet you're the same faggot who screams about your apps being written in electron too

>Actually thinking Europe is third world

I mean I can't blame you with all the immigrants but come on user.

Not the ones at f400 companies yo

not with that attitude

If you can't learn on your own you are trash.

>mentions the company he's working at instead of his position

hmm

Buy a new one

Even most that study it are still self-taught and just getting that piece of paper because companies want you to have it nowadays

Got a university degree. And if you gave me a list with books I could have learned the exact same thing. And probably spend more time on each subject.

The best of those are always better than the ones who just got a paper from years of school.

You can tell when they can think outside the box.

Are you implying that i am supposed to look down upon people who showed a disposition and initiative to teach themselves certain skills and consciously pursue education, as opposed to being lazy garbagecans that only eat what's thrown at them and otherwise laze around?
Are you a fucking idiot OP? I'm honestly asking you this.

Nobody likes to babysit people and people who are self-taught are by definition people who can at least instill confidence in an employer that they will not laze around and won't need as much management as faggots like yourself.

>i took fore years of cs and still cant fizzbuzz
>theirfor its literally like impossible to self teach cs

t. cs brainlets everywhere

>self taught shitposter

>muh lard of the free
>muh 6 figures income
I don't have to pay 50k each and every year on insurance alone.

based reunthal dubs poster

software developer, what else

>"I'm a X engineer"
>doesn't show any degree with the term "engineer" on it

I am self taught lover!

This DESU

nigger killer

>I'm a self taught doctor
>Medical school is a scam and people who went there need to be spoonfed, everything you need to know is on WebMD!

I work for a f400 sort of company. It is somewhat common.
my current team has 8 people, 3 aren't graduated
of them, 2 almost completed CS, but moved from his town and doesn't have a degree (one of them just transfered and is finishing now, the other doesn't care)
third one never being to uni and is like a devOps magician/guru

also, one guy that has probably one of the highest paying salaries there and is probably the best programmer I've ever worked with never been to uni as well (last time I talked to him he intended to get a degree online just because).

I mean, if you think it's the norm you're dumb, most of the people there came from a good university. But if you think it's not common or super rare you are very wrong as well.

but, to add, most of the good self taught people that I know are sort of like:
>learned how to program but was shit
>got shitty jobs
>saw what was shit about what they were doing
>self taught how to improve it
>this over and over
>got good

it's not "yay I'm learning rails on the web I don't need university". If you are like that and never worked on a good place you are probably shit. Self teaching and becoming good takes years.

Every good programmer I know that attended university studied by himself way more than what was being taught at uni as well.
But if you think the university study didn't have any value, you're being memed.

I trust self taught people more than ones who have an education in X

>Compares a profession where you need actual hands on experience and no mistake is allowed with a profession where you can get all the experience and knowledge by just having a computer

Go back to school user

Something I'm seeing a lot of in this thread is the assumption self-taught = no university degree. You don't always get a job in the thing you studied in college, anons. Sometimes you take a few steps over.

Basically this, although I went because I knew I couldn't trust myself to complete tasks with no deadlines.

>Most programmers are self-taught.

Most programmers are shit. Coincidence?

This right here. Most of the time a University Degree is just a "paid my dues and can finish intelligent tasks on a deadline" document. B.S at least. The implication of a statement like "You can't blindly trust a degree" also implies you probably should look at people from other disciplines or educational background to see if they have the skills or aptitude you need

Yes indeed, if earning a Msc and a PhD can be counted as self taught sure.

A libertarian like Penn would be in favor of self taught

"If you can't do, teach."

Game publisher

I'm a self taught english language

>I went to coding bootcamp

No one cares. Get a degree you losers.

All programmers are self-taught. if you're only using the skills you picked up in school you're probably out of a job already.;

Not him, but I don't, company pays it.

how did you start contracting yourself being self taught? Where i currently live is in desperate need of it.

I use my git hub as a degree

Literally everyone who has above average understanding of anything is, and least partially self taught. Good b8 tho, made me reply.

I dropped out of high school, but have been programming since I was 10. I don't have a GED, either. A couple of years ago, I did do a bootcamp, and excelled at it. I had offers from a bunch of companies afterwards, when we demoed our projects, from NASA(internship), IBM, etc. I took the IBM internship. Since then, I've been working at various startups, bouncing around, and have started my own. I was never asked for my education credentials. Ever.

A lot of people in this thread are right, though. Most people think they can learn how to program in a year and get a $100k/yr. job with no degree. It's possible, but extremely unlikely. I've only personally seen this happen with 8-10/10 women, or blacks/indians, etc.

Authorised repair isn't real repair. Come back when you're not just replacing whole mobos as a "" repair"" job

See

>t. irrelevant academic