/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's 4 new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.

10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Titus Andronicus being robbed once again?
Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You 8.3 BNM?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Lindsay "qt feminist" Zoladz? [retired patrician, memory lives on forever]
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Larry "retired BNM godfather" Fitzmaurice?
Craig "Meme Rap" Jenkins?
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy?
qt Kim "retired Meal Goddess now at Noisey" Kelly?
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Meaghan “retired trap queen" Garvey?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp?
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?

Will someone dethrone Kanye West/ANOHNI 9.0 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 20

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member, now slightly updated)
mega.nz/#!IkITCb5K!Nq3IGPLLNaGxaLZMiWRl0LF0ws77D_E4FO2eO4N1kwg

>Tonight's Top Stories
-Death Grips review when?
-Radiohead review when?
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, Bat for Lashes, Death Grips, Car Seat Headrest, Radiohead, Local Natives, Islands, Vijay Iyer, Swans, and Tim Heidecker.
-/p4k/ forever

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21796-interview-2016/
youtube.com/watch?v=GoLJJRIWCLU
youtube.com/watch?v=imbQx_mXPtI
tinymixtapes.com/music-review/radiohead-moon-shaped-pool?utm_content=buffer88a65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tonight's definitely bottomless pit night. y'all ready for the pan?

Wait so is the Bottomless Pit review coming tonight?

dubs for BP 7.8

WHAT ABOUT AMSP

WHEN'S THAT OUT YO

who ready for the tim heidecker aoty? also

death grips: 7.9
radiohead: 8.7

AMSP gets BNM 9+ while BP gets 8+ no BNM

Calling it

yo, I'm calling other way around

rh isn't getting above a nine

>This thread hypes and supports DIIV
Wait, is there a new DIIV album? I know about Is The Is Are. A new EP or something?

dubs/trips says that radiohead gets 8.9 BNM

>ANOHNI
what does this mean

AMSP up on Friday so it stays on the frontpage all weekend.

BP 9.5
AMSP 8.7

Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You 8.3 BNM

It's going to be panned so hard. Pitchfork doesn't like Death Grips they think it's music for edgy teenagers, but they can't deny the influence so they have to cover them.

they review stuff on saturday now too tho

We've decided to leave DIIV in the OP

Pitchfork rated the fucking Death Grips interview soundtrack higher than Niggas on the Moon for fuck's sake, can they be taken seriously?

they didnt review that, did they?

9.3 for Radiohead, 8.4 for Death Grips

pls screenshot this

they did pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21796-interview-2016/

Also dubs say that is spot on

RH - 9.4
DG - 8.1

LUH review when?

do they ever do two best new albums in the same night?

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21796-interview-2016/

>think it's music for edgy teenagers
>think

thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=GoLJJRIWCLU

no theyve just been tired of them since they pretended to break up because they didnt want to have to tour to finish an album

so now they are just focusing on antics vs the music, they do this a lot, they can be very superficial to artists they just enough about to report on for news, but they mostly just do it for the traffic, death grips doesnt need p4k approval, p4k just leeches on death grips for ad revenue

youtube.com/watch?v=imbQx_mXPtI

someone just uploaded this cover with strings. it's p. good

>p4k just leeches on death grips for ad revenue
no one but Sup Forums and edgy teens still give fucks about Death Grips

they became massively more popular after the release of government plates and you think those near millions and multi millions of views of their youtube come from just Sup Forums?

they are a pretty damn well known cult band, who clearly have fanbases not just centralized on Sup Forums, because there is a world outside of it, but you cant see it

But Sup Forums is just edgy teens

AMSP is getting BNM

it's not getting a 9 or above, however, be prepared for 8.9

fucking calling this shit right here folks, 8.9 BNM

lol it's getting 9.4

that would be so underwhelming
i'd be happy with a 9.5+ or a straight pan (8 and below)

8.8 BNM

nah, too high

me. its crazy how much funnier he is than the tim and eric show is sometimes. his appearances on comedy bang bang are the holy truth of god

do the reviews go up in 8 mins or 38

DUBS CONFIRM

1 am eastern
12 am central
10 pm pacific

oh so in an hour ok

Radiohead is first two digits of this post.
Death Grips is last two.

(Totally not rigged)

damn

Radiohead is last two digits of that guy's post.
Death Grips is last two of this one.

DG 8.9
Radiohead 9.2

Last two digits of this post are Radiohead's score
Last two digits of the post below me are Death Grips' score

DG - 9.1

DEATH GRIPS - BOTTOMLESS PIT 4.9 CONFIRMED.

They are both going to get emoji scores like Meow the Jewels

CoS gave AMSP an A-

What will TMT give it? I reckon 3.5/5

This thread must purge the non-beleivers, rejoice my friends, because pitchfork shall grave radiohead with a 9+, as the dubs command it

Hey guys

For those of you who don't already know, I've made a podcast about the music Pitchfork reviews

It's called The Metafork Music Review and you can find it on iTunes

If you like these threads I think you'll like it, and thanks a lot to the people who have already checked it out!

What's everyone listening to?

pic related

what album is that?

James Grips - A Bottomless Meme

Do you think that's what they're reviewing tonight?

no definetly not

Remember we've got James Blake and Skepta reviews coming too.

What's your guys' opinions on James Blake? I only listened to it once and not with my full attention, but I was bored. There were some standouts, like "Timeless" for example is something that I can remember, but the thing as a whole....I much prefer his first two albums (and his old instrumental EPs and singles).

I need to give it another listen or two though. It could possible be quite good. Idk.

Also I thought Skepta was a letdown. Some great tracks on there, but we already heard the best ones. Boy in da Corner remains the best grime album of all time.

Are you not a T&E fan?

personally I find 80% of T&E's stuff grating as fuck, and like 20% of it genius, I have never enjoyed one second of Tom Goes To The Mayor but I like a lot of T&EASGJ

On Cinema >>> T&E imo

Also, Ching-Chong Matinee will forever be one of the funniest things.

james blake 8.2 bnm last night

skepta, kaytranada possibly leading tonight

idiot baka

Same going through my first listen r'n

That makes sense. I'm more of a 90% genius T&E fanboy so naturally I don't like Tim's other stuff quite as much. But to each his own. Have you seen The Comedy?

I want to, but at the same time I've heard that movie is way too real, and I don't think I need that cringe experience in my life

wew, called it

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/radiohead-moon-shaped-pool?utm_content=buffer88a65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Is that a good score for TMT?

post yfw they gave Gaika and Chali XCX EP's a higher score than AMSP

I'd guess DG tonight and Radiohead later in the week

THM ON SUICIDE WATCH

it's alright, i guess. probably one of the more common scores.

they're kinda edgy and really concerned with cultural subtexts in music so i'm not surprised by the score (hence how i called it). honestly would not have been shocked of they went lower desu.

What do you mean by real? Like deep-cutting?

I like T&E but agree, Tim does so much great stuff on his own. His anti-stand-up for example is insanely funny.

Oh shit. Well I'm glad p4k agrees w/ me that his s/t was his best release so far.

Not that guy but I loved The Comedy. I need to see that director's other movies. I'd imagine I'd like them too. (btw seizure girl in that movie, and she's also in House of Cards 1st or 2nd season and some other shit....god I find her so sexy)

It has almost nothing in common with T&E humour. Tim's really just the lead, that's all. Worth watching. But yeah, it's a very 'real' movie. But not cringey...well there is some cringe, but in a different kind of way.

>styles: music

thanks tmt i appreciate it

>kinda
they are full blown edge usually

I'd say the most egregious thing about TMT is how hard they play favorites, like Dean Blunt and SOPHIE have put out shitty material before but TMT still gives them ridiculiously high scores

Is TMT considered a good and respected blog for reviews and other things of that nature?

i was a fan of "band"

The character is apparently that person who never grows up and thinks everythings a joke at 30+ years old, and that sounds painful to me

>All of this is completely necessary for listeners to proclaim in order to begin erasing, interpellating their relationships to big, male music.

what the fuck am I reading?

jesus christ that review is bloated with sophistry
might even be worse than p4k

Yes, it is painful. You should make yourself suffer some pain. That's that good shit (art that is).

Like Horace & Pete...yoooooooo

You like Bands? I love Bands!

TMT

>highlight "The Numbers" (a cyclical and soothing tale formerly known as "Silent Spell")
>Silent Spell
Maybe cool it with the pseudo-intellectual bullshit and focus a bit more on getting the details right

i want to believe

Dubs for double BNM with Death Grips and Radiohead

It seems there's a time in every white, male, middle class, suburban millennial's life where we, usually around the age of 13, fall in love with Radiohead. It's a perfectly natural reaction. Their melodramatic, angst-ridden screeds against vague ideas of corporate evil and heads of state fit perfectly into our newly minted interests in things we can hardly begin to understand. But you don't need to understand much to fully appreciate being holed up in your bedroom listening to Let Down on blast on our iPod alarm clock radio while thinking about your crush in Algebra who looked at you for a full 2 seconds that day. For their part, Radiohead has done well in transitioning these 13 y/os with burgeoning interests in music to transition to less juvenile acts. They've aped Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Can, etc and thusly led their teenage fans down that road. Fast forward to their latest, 'A Moon Shaped Pool'. Radiohead seem to have given up on appropriating genuinely interesting music in favor of rehashing what sounds like a mishmash of Coldplay's greatest hits. For any well-learned, well-listened educated person the fact that the album is bad is not surprising. Radiohead have never produced a genuinely good album in their careers. But, still, they served a valuable purpose in the lives of music fans by leading them to greener pastures. With their ninth record instead they give them the finger and point to A.M.-radio-Superbowl-halftime-life-insurance-commercial rock music. Rock in scare quotes because as much as they still retain their love for guitars and drums and bass this is the most flaccid sound ever produced from an ostensibly uproarious art form. I mean Steely Dan managed to make tepid rock music sound nice by combining it with white-people-jazz and a supreme ear for melody but I can't say anything as redeeming for this heap Radiohead has put out. It's mid-tempo background music for 50 minutes. I almost don't want to call this music. 'Music' has the import of art

yeah, they do tend to stick with their favorites. one of the few examples of them swearving was panning rival delaer after highly scoring the rest of burial's releases.

i mostly use them for reference/curation. personally, i'm not a huge fan of their reviewing style, but i do appreciate how they're really trying to expand the language and semiotics around music and their total rejection of formalism.

No. the way they intellectualize music is fundamentally wrong. They're shit little kids who took one or two classes on modernist and postmodernist philosophy and jack off with copies of All That is Solid Melts into Air.

Im fine with movies that make me crawl (watched Elephant recently), but like, that character sounds like a very specific fear I have that makes me cringe into oblivion

>A Moon Shaped Pool is a “grower,” because all music is a grower. Here, there is perhaps a wider opportunity for the music to grow due to there being an audible release of sign and substance as a ghostly after-image of the band’s event-based trauma

lmfao tmt reads like one of my undergrad essays

9.2 for amsp
Srs

what the fuck is this

which is bullshit anyways since Rival Dealer is a great EP, thats probably the other most egregious thing, they never talk about the actual music, its all just overly dense word dumps that could be about ANY album

They'll review Radiohead tonight. They need to feed off the album hype before their general readership starts to lose interesting

why r all u redohead fans trigerd

8.9 bnm incuming but u wil stil b mad lol

also dg 8.7

lmao holy fuck this writing is atrocious, makes pitchfork look like literary geniuses

it's just word salad, actually write a sentence that says something you turds

My undergrad essays were never this bad