CRT in 2018

So I want to get a CRT. I'll admit that yes, I'm a gaymur and I play cs so I would appreciate the higher refresh rates that they offer without the price of a gaymen monitor. I play on 4:3 stretched already at lower res so I'm not so bothered about the lower resolution.

I miss the one I used to have back when I used xp and the crackle when it turns on. Am I missing something Sup Forums? Is there a reason that not many people have them anymore? Am I falling for a meme here?

The industry gave up on them and turned to LCD screens after the eye cancer lawsuits put all of the CRT makers out of business.

They are big and clumsy and aren't half as power efficient.

What if I already have eye cancer so don't care. My glasses are thicker than the professor's. Are they still good monitors minus the cancer?

CRTs are dead technology
>I would appreciate the higher refresh rates
the actually good Trinitrons and such will cost you more than modern 144hz LCDs
low-end CRTs that people throw away because nobody even buys them will have pretty bad image quality in most cases, and will usually top off at 75Hz at 1024x768, or 1280x1024 if you're lucky

they're also fuckhuge and hot, and will most likely break pretty soon due to how old they are

just don't

>will most likely break pretty soon due to how old they are

i have one from 1978 still working

>something I don't care about because I live in more than a broom cupboard
>something I care even less about

Old CRT monitors used to cost just as much as the good LED/LCD monitors cost today. The only difference is that you didn't have the option to downgrade if you didn't want to shell out the money.

So yeah, it's the equivalent of using a huge rear projector TV from the 90s instead of a high dollar Plasma screen. You're getting the best of dead tech at bottom dollar prices, and all you give up is some convenience.

Do you still use it?
If not why not?

that means you take care of your shit and had a pretty good unit that lasted a long time
thing is, CRTs available on the second-hand market are usually cheap, horrible units, and they may break anytime, and when they do, there won't be anyone to fix them as literally nobody services them anymore
the actually good, sought after ones, are rare and you might be shit out of luck finding one locally, and shipping them is a nightmare

You asked me why they aren't around anymore, that's the reason why

>bad image quality
Do you mean just raw pixels or is there something weirder going on. I'm not too bothered by lower resolution but is there something else I should know?

Jesus fucking christ. "Hardcore" gamers are reaching audiophile tier placebo bullshit at this point.
Why do you care so much about a rank in a fucking videogame? You're going to buy a fucking CRT monitor just because you think you might be able to generate more ego points in CS:GO.

Anything other than a high end NEC/Mitsubishi, Sony, or a brand which rebadged them like LaCie will be total shit. Sony monitors often have aging problems where the black level increases, IIRC fixing this requires fucking with internal components or at least dredging up software and a cable to perform factory diagnostics.

For instance, I wouldn't bother picking up a Sony monitor other than a G500, G520, C520K, or the meme master of them all FW900.

CRTs are pefect for retro games and anything that involves clear motion
Buy 2

color reproduction, for instance. It all depends on the model you get (not that you should be getting one anyway).
Besides, modern high-refresh rate monitors aren't even all that expensive. There's a ton of choices under $300 mark.

So is it the corporations that stopped developing them because if those were the only problems, as a consumer, those don't bother me and I'd still buy them.

Those are by far the largest reasons, at least. They're probably also more expensive to produce.

The main reason I would avoid a CRT today is burn-in, but that's probably not the reason they aren't being made anymore.

yes, you definitely should talk CEOs into re-launching CRT production lines for the whole 5 people in the world who'd be interested in them

Unless you happen to get lucky and find a good CRT that is still working but is being tossed, you're likely shit out of luck.

Anyone who has an older GOOD CRT knows it's a good one and still worth a decent bit of $. Everyone else assumes they're useless and just throws them out.

So either you're paying out the ass, or you're getting lucky and finding one.

You're better off buying a 144 or 240hz LCD.

>I would rather use objectively worse hardware to do a hobby I enjoy.
Why don't you use dial up? You can still shit post right? Why do you care?

Is it too late to trawl yard sales and things like eBay for CRTs? So there's no high refresh rate CRTs owned by people that don't know they are high refresh anymore like schools or universities that are clearing them out.

I'm sorry, when did CRTs become objectively superior to LCDs? You want to use worse hardware because you think the voodoo gods will grant you greater rank so that you may brag on the internet about how pro you are. Have you tried getting good?

>So there's no high refresh rate CRTs owned by people that don't know they are high refresh anymore like schools or universities that are clearing them out.
Those were cleared out almost a decade ago.

Again, you MIGHT get lucky if you really hunt around, but overall you're far too late to the party.

Again, you're better off getting a 144 or 240hz LCD.

>yard sales
unless ran by old, senile people, no. anyone with half a brain researches how much their stuff is worth before selling it, especially in the era when looking price us takes 30 seconds
>eBay
even worse in that regard. Not to mention shipping a fuckhuge monitor is a huge hassle.
>schools or universities that are clearing them out
they can't sell them, they dispose of them. That's how their contracts work.

>objectively worse
[citation needed]

>objectively worse
what fucking wonderland do you live in
get real

LCDs are way easier to manufacture. CRT is so much more complicated, and does the same thing. No wonder its more feasible to make LCDs when you can sell them for same price and make more. though now people dont want crt's mostly due to the size, so you can get really high end equipment for almost nothing. I got a few and if you can get one that does 1280x1024 @85hz its really lovely at 17" screen size thats ideal for me.

not really, its a 2" portable tv by sinclair

>Am I falling for a meme here
yes. crts were and are completely shit except for a few incredibly high spec several thousand dollar ones that still get shit on by similarly high spec several thousand dollar lcd/oled ones.

not to mention modern video cards don't even produce analog signal anymore so you'd need some shitty adapter that probably adds more latency than you gain from the crt

Eh..
You could get 200HZ flat screen CRT for like $200 there toward the end of their reign.

I just bought a CRT on craiglist and it's the best fucking decision I've ever made
this thing runs up to 2048x1536@60 but I run it at 1600x1200@85. I gave up a 4k monitor with a 1080ti for this with my old 7950. It's better in every singe possible quality
>input lag
literally zero on the CRT
>motion
absolutely no blurring whatsoever
>image quality
less aliasing on lower resolutions. 1600x1200 on a CRT is just as pleasing to the eye as 4k is on an LCD for a still image
>variable resolution
I can run doom in software mode a la crispy doom and it looks fucking phenomenal
>aspect ratio
19" screen at 4:3 has the same vertical height as my 24" 16:9, but the entire screen is in my FOV at all times now.

>200hz
at 640x480

No, good CRTs could do 720p or higher at such high refresh rates

not in the $200 range, and that was his point

Getting myself one of these soon. Found it at an old repair shop.

I used to use 2 old crts until around 2011ish with this machine. One of them I have had since 2000. That one sits next to my current monitor and I just occasionally use it when I'm fixing someone's computer or something and the other one I use now with a late 80s ibm. I still have a bit of a soft spot for them and don't want to get rid of them.

Yep, $10 off CL for a display that would costs hundreds to rival in a lot of respects.

1. There are LCD monitors that can strobe at 240Hz now, essentially replicating CRT motion clarity.

2. Used CRT monitors are expensive these days due to their sought after nature, limited lifespan (reducing supply) and out-of-production status.

If you are after a CRT monitor to get good motion clarity on the cheap, you are misguided. If you are after a CRT to get low motion blur and good image quality (better contrast than IPS and TN), and are willing to spend big for it, it may be a decent option.

Gotta love how Sup Forums criminalizes playig vidya because muh waste of time but there is a thread right now with people drawing their hardware in ms paint.

As somebody who has owned and recently sold x5 sony Trinitron gdm-fw900 's, just get a free crt that can do at least 85hz at 768p. otherwise you will find yourself hunting for a crt for months and then driving cross state to pick them up.
Free and cheap CRTs are plentiful if you know where to go. erecyclers, facebook, and craigslist regularly have them. 768p for pc games at 85hz or custom resolutions that are higher is fine.youre mostly gonna play older stuff with them anyways.
for retro consoles a sony Trinitron 480p unit is good enough and easy to find, but heavy as hell.

I got a CRT a while ago, and I'm running it at 800x600 at 120Hz. I had to mess around with xrandr to add this mode, because it wasn't possible to just run it at that refresh rate, but it's not that hard to pull off.
I got mine for free, make sure you don't end up paying for something just because people know it's worth something to you.
Also, make sure you have a VGA output on your computer that you can use, pascals dropped them.
As for how it looks, the diffference is noticable, and playing vidya at higer refresh rates might give you an advantage if you're playing a fast paced game. Just make sure you've set everything up to have your games run at that framerate, as well as that you're capable of hitting it. Depending on what you're playing it might be very easy to pull off.

not a gaymer, but I miss the warmth and analog image of CRTs

I use a Samsung Syncmaster 997df for the 1856x1392 resolution at 75hz (Upgraded the flyback). I probably will upgrade to a 4k monitor at some point though.

144Hz flatscreen monitors exist and cost less than a good CRT monitor. The only reason to have a CRT in 2018 is if you play games at less-than-native resolutions.

I would wait for OLED. I have an LG OLED TV as a monitor and it does 120 hz with no ghosting whatsoever. By far the best screen I've ever used, IPS panels don't even come close. However since it's a TV there is some input lag, gaming mode makes it responsive enough for my gaming needs but idk how much lag it actually is. When OLED monitors come to market CRTs will no longer have the greatest performance.

I'm trying to make a sleeper build but I'm having a hard time finding a good crt moniter and a matching case, keyboard, and mouse. Do any of you know where I can find alot of old computers? No luck on websites like ebay or craigslist.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the guy taped to the beam yet.

it could be because not everyone is a newfag like you

HOW MUCH FOR AN FW900

I have the Dell branded version, used it as my main monitor for many years. I mainly use a ThinkPad these days, and the iMac I got for a song fits on my tiny ass desk better for the moment.

At least a thousand burgers.

Would you say it's worth picking up? They wanted 19 dollars for it and I figured it was a good enough deal considering how stupidly expensive Trinitrons are getting these days. Even on local CL postings CRT's are no longer considered immune to price hiking.

This place has a few Trinitrons just spread about, Dell branded and Sony. Was thinking on picking a few more up.

They sure are. I wouldn't be upset at all if it was the only monitor I owned.

I can see this thread has generated quite a lot of uproar and consternation amongst the two rival factions of Sup Forums. On the one hand we have the philes and on the other we have the warriors. That is the retro gang and the only-if-its-the-latest-greatest gang. We are witnessing a great event. The day that someone came to Sup Forums and admitted the gamers amongst us have disappeared right up their own arse holes along with the ricers, audiophiles, and the Arch mob. The warriors cannot believe that someone would want something as fat and old as a CRT, and the philes cannot believe anyone would not want to sqeeze out that extra frame per gazillion frames. Modern monitors are just not good enough for them and, like a famous primadonna chef, they shout "I only want the best ingredients in my kitchen get out you spotty shit and never darken my doorstep again with your LED bullshit"
yup two warring factions of the very disappeared up their own arseholes mob

People don't really use them anymore because they take up way more space, and most people hate scanlines. I still have my crt from 20+ years ago and use it whenever I get the itch to play some old vidya that look like trash on lcds.

Most people also hate black bars and would happily watch 4:3 content stretched to fill their 16:9 screen.

Reminder that the overwhelming majority of people promoting CRTs in modern times are literally (not the meme) spics and other forms of 3rd world or just hipsters that are usually born after 1990. That border of gen z/millennial and into gen z.
CRTs are trash displays and you’d be a fool to buy one now for anything other than novelty. They have terrible contrast. And before some dumb fucking child comes in saying otherwise don’t post unless the number is done to ansi specifications or some form of. They are terrible for text sharpness and this is one of the main reasons LCDs took over as fast as they did. Not the price or efficiency. LCDs till the mid 2000s weren’t cheap.
You also must consider that past 5000 hours and less the tube is shot. A consumer tube will continue to show an image, but it will never be what it was. Color accuracy and brightness range are gone. You will slowly have degrading geometry control also. A huge issue with CRT TVs and lesser for monitors is blooming also. And I’m not talking about what you think before another idiot thinks I’m talking about photoshop.
A final note. I post this stuff from time to time and there’s always people that can’t read and don’t know what they’re talking about. I highly suggest if you read a reply to this post to check if it has any sources to back its claims. It most likely won’t or it’ll be out of context.

Reminder that LED has CRT beat on all measures except the ability to not look like shit at non-native resolutions. There's nothing to argue here, this is an objective fact.

Modern OLEDs with the proper tech behind the display Like some kind of strobe. As for the scaling issues. Sony scaling engines are pretty damn impressive. Hard to find scaling errors on 480p content scaled to 1080p and 4k.

MOTION FLUIDITY
COLOR RICHNESS

>i've never seen an led display in person
Granted they also lose color richness faster than the shittiest CRT ever made, LED displays have zero input or display lag and look gorgeous when new.

Strobes
Sony OLED PVMs have 3 year warranties.

Does the warranty cover screen burn and deterioration or is it just dead pixels?

It's a PVM so it has to meet w/e Sony specs are.

So they're guaranteed to maintain color accuracy for 3 years?

nibba just get yourself an xl2546 240hz refresh rate 1ms monitor from Zowie by BenQ

>as a consumer
You are not the consumer. You're an extremely isolated case of a guy who wants a CRT. I love CRTs but face it, we don't exist in meaningful numbers.

Are you AV from /gif/?

Except for
- Motion
- Contrast
- Vibrance
- Can be used for lightgun games

He's a shill, yes.

I loved touching the screen of a CRT that was just turned on. I don't remember why I did it, but I believe it gave me my superpowers.

>Strobes
FLASHLIGHTS ARE A GLIB FACSIMILE OF ELECTRON DRIVEN PHOSPHOR

> Falling for the refresh rate meme.
You think more hurtz = more better gamer?

static electricity.

>You think more hurtz = more better gamer?
Whilst it doesn't.
>You think less hurtz = more worse gamer?
Yes.