I've never seen a Chromebook thread here

I've never seen a Chromebook thread here.
I realize its a somewhat niche product, but they're pretty comfy.

>Thin
>Lightweight
>Long Battery Life
>ItJustWorks.jpg
>Supports Android Apps

Thoughts?

They're literally dogshit
>have to use a web browser os with less apps than Android or some shitty loonix distro nobody has ever heard of
>shit specs
>can't run win32 software
It's like having a macbook

repost

/hidden and filtered for the future

Repost? I had tried to post it yesterday, but I didn't think it had gone through because it resulted in an error message.

Quite sorry, friendo.

Dogshit as a main machine, absolutely.
As a secondary machine, I find that it does what I need it to do.
Can use Google Docs for anything University related and Moonlight to remote for anything you need on Windows.

>botnet
>locked down
>basically a tablet with a shit OS and wasted hardware
No thank you, Shekelstein.

they're fine

Not shilling, just stating why I bought one. I understand completely why someone wouldn't. Lel.

>4gb RAM
>32gb Storage
>Celeron Processor
>$180
>WhyNotBuyAThinkpad?

I've had Thinkpads, and I enjoy them. I just wanted to try something different.

Nah same exact post as yesterday

Your secondary machine should be your android smartphone, literally more useful that a shitty botnet chrombook.

they're fine if you need something portable and do actual work on your machine.

they're absolute garbage if youre a NEET that spends his time ricing his os and posting on Sup Forums.

Consider this when evaluating the replies youll get in here.

Why don't you suck cocks and shove them up your ass then? You know, just trying something different.

>they're fine if you need something portable and do actual work on your machine.
lost

I apologize then.
I didn't realize it had posted.

>Android Smartphone
I can't type my essays and shit on a phone, man. I need a keyboard.

That's sort of what I was thinking.
Google Docs is free and comfy and its super portable. Awesome for Uni, unless you're coding heavily or doing 3D Rendering work.

In order to get 9-12 hours of battery from a Thinkpad, I'd have to have a fucking 9 cell battery, m8.

>I've never seen a Chromebook thread here.

But you agree posted one yesterday, you are obviously an honest fellow, I'm sure you got an error message and didn't retry to post it again yesterday. You have such good content. /sarcasm

get a bt keyboard then

then get a celery wanblows tablet, same price better value

Have you never gone through the Capcha and it said "Error Posting" then you can't return to the page, so you assume you'd have to retype the shit?

Because that's what happened, you mongoloid.

It irked me at the time, so I just said fuck it and moved on about my day.

I didn't realize it had posted.
Christ.

I looked into it, and it would have had a dual core Celeron processor and 2gb of RAM as a $180 machine.
Windows bloats up too much over time to run on 32gb of internal storage imo.

To each their own, though. Just preference.

I can still remote to my home PC that has a 1700x and a 980ti in it for anything taxing.

You guys act like I'm a sperg that only owns a Chromebook.

Better of with an ipad since chrome os is play store only

/thread

I have an iPad 2 and a Keyboard Case for it, but it was never as comfy as popping open a laptop.
Also, Safari doesn't have Ublock
At least it didn't at the time.
I don't mind ads, but some websites are pure unadulterated cancer.

They are weak locked down shitboxes that are unironically less useful than a macbook. kys

>some shitty loonix distro nobody has ever heard of

I had Arch running on mine, no chromeOS at all.

>Comparing $180 computer to $1000+ computer

yet you managed to retype it exactly the very next day?
>mongoloid
So now you are resorting to name calling, haha.

>I opted to ignore this thread in the future
>I keep coming back to this thread

CHRIST

It gets even worse when you compare to a cheap Thinkpad

Listen, m8. You insinuated that I was a liar. You will never see it again after today, I assure you.

How so?

Because thinkpads are more useful than a macshit and a chromepoo together? Come on user.

If I had to choose between a Pixelbook or a similarly priced T480, you bet your ass I'm taking the memepad.

hey dumbass, you realize it's possible to install an operating system that didn't come with the computer, right?

I live for my chromebook

>Pixelbook

Retarded. Who the fuck would spent over $250 on a Chromebook?

I would buy a Chromebook if they came with anything larger than a 2GB HDD.

Install a distro.

>I've never seen a Chromebook thread here.

Is this your first day on Sup Forums or are you just mentally retarded?

For 99% of all normies its the goto. Not for /g.

I just ordered the Pixelbook.

After debating and testing out various options, I decided on the Pixelbook.

It meets my requirements, which were :

Ultra light
Linux (GalliumOS) compatible hardware
Decent U/X while in tablet mode
Ergonomically well designed to work as a tablet
At least 16GB of memory
Comfortable keyboard

For my specific use case, it does everything I need. I almost look at ChromeOS / tight Google integration as a bonus.

I will be using it mostly as a tablet, but being able switch into a full OS and do actual work is exactly what I want.

The HP Spectre was my second option, but it felt really heavy even though it's .05 lbs heavier. It would also open up while holding it as a tablet.

And worst of all the tablet mode was garbage. Windows does not work well as such.

32gb
4gb RAM

Check out the Acer Chromebook 14.
You can buy them manufacturer refurbed on eBay for $170.

I havent had one since the original samsung arm one. When you run linux it was pretty nice but the arm processor and limited ram was too slow for my tastes. I wouldnt mind trying a more modern one but like my surface book so no reason to spend a few hundred dollars on one.

The more modern ones are way better than the old ones.

I remember the first iterations.
They were practically useless imo.

what's the best 13 inch + 4GB ram + Great Linux support +

Tbh I think the Chromebook 14 is the highest spec'd quad core you can get under $200.

It has 4gb RAM.

I like mine, just have issues looking for a cloud IDE

Throw Debian on it

This looks comfy.

>win32

Uh that's a positive mate

I unironically love chromebooks. They are the perfect companion pc.

First of all, they're cheap as hell. So if I'm clumsy with it I don't give a fuck. I don't have to care about lending it to people either, I can stick it in guest mode and they can't fuck anything up.

It boots fast, it updates fast, and the battery lasts a million years, so I never have to worry about it being out of action when I need it. It's as reliable as my phone.

I buy exclusively 11.6" 'books so I can carry them pretty much anywhere without feeling obnoxious. My Acer c720 has served me well for many years, and I'm only just replacing it now with a new 2-in-1. It's even better because I can prop it up as a tablet and use it in coffee shops or at lunch.

Once you throw it in dev mode you can install crouton and use it as an ssh+browser machine, which is basically all I need day-to-day. I write, dev, research, and remote into work with it. I keep it VPN'd to my home network where most of my actual work is being done, so the weak processors don't matter to me. I use mosh so I can keep persistent SSH sessions without having to care about sleeping the chromebook. (And since I'm talking over VPN anyway the security implications of mosh don't come into play.)

It's good for old people and dumb kids that'll ruin an actual computer otherwise

Thank yiew

Browsing from one right now

That's a pretty old one right there. Doesn't even get updates anymore up to R58.

I'm sitting at 64.0.248 stable, is that out of date?

The pixel books are quite nice.

No, they are the worst. "premium" and chromebook should never go together. Chromebooks are for poorfags, kids and old people. People spending a thousand bucks should know better.

Are you the one with the Samsung laptop?

I got confused between the old chromebook from the end of life list.

Your laptop is at the bottom of the image codenamed "Snow"

Chromebooks are literally huge steaming piles of dogshit.
>literally chrome with apps the OS
get the fuck outta herd

I would still buy it, I use chrome os as a main machine.

>$1,000 for an i5
>bad
Derp

Unless there are Chromebooks that I can install Winodws 7 on, they are utter trash.

>$1,000 for an i5
>good

no wonder AMD is winning.

>flash core boot
>install windows/BSD/linux

They can be pretty comfy once you remove goolagOS but their hardware is usually pretty anemic.

Good luck fitting that into a passively-cooled enclosure.

i bought a chrome box a few years ago partially because it was under $150 and gave me a reason to get into crouton and messing with ubuntu. it ran fairly solid but I'd get sporadic glitch crashes. Crouton was too much of a PITA for my needs and i just dont have a use for the thing. I dunno if running android apps would help, can you run a phone steam client?

You can install windows on any x86 chromebook. The pixel is one of them.

>LE GOOLAG MAYMAY ARENT I FUNNY ECKS DEE?!

Literally kill yourself

I've got an Acer c720 running Debian stretch and coreboot, it's a long endurance freedom machine, it can even run a windows 7 VM while you're doing other work on Linux without hiccups, as long as you upgrade to an ssd.

The only issue I've had is some QC issue, the trackpad is non responsive at times, you have to keep one hand close to the side of the laptop or touch any metal on the side so the trackpad works. Strangely it stopped working after I installed the coreboot seabios

>defending google

Perhaps it is you who should consider suicide, my friend.

Also if Windows 10S is anything like a Chromebook, I won't mind buying a Windows 10S cheap laptop. The store has most of what I need at this point, aside from one or two programs.

I wouldn't, remember what happened to RT?

Yeah, but I already use Edge, and most of what I use is in the store save for two applications (mailstore and Supermemo). I'm waiting for VS Code mostly.

>never seen a Chromebook thread here
We have at least five of them every day

Also IIRC, you'll be able to disable S mode (maybe if you pay, not sure) and should be able to re-enable it too.

he only knows how to compare paper specs since he is an autist. A 10lb gaming """"laptop""" is a better value to him compared to an ultraportable since he will never work in a professional setting or has good posture

Where?

Lol, got acer c720 for cheap. Installed Xubuntu. Feels good with 8hr battery life shitposting .

soyboi botnet cuck shit

Its basically a PC for people who never learned how to use a PC

Simple to use like a phone but very, very limited

There is a 4gb c720 model too.

I have a Chromebook, it provides a luxury shitposting experience for a low price. I could not have got a metal-bodied 1080p screen Win10 laptop for the same price at all.

I edit a couple of spreadsheets on it, and it makes a surprisingly good retro game emulation station- been playing Parasite Eve on it recently and it runs great.

Also the thing is unbreakable. My wifes son can pound on the keyboard as much as he likes and he just can't make anything go wrong with it. Just close the lid and open it again and it's good to go.

>Product designed and priced to do X
>Can't do Y

If you need to do something it's not built for, don't fucking buy it. I ran tech for a startup with 40 sales agents, chromebooks were perfect
>Salesforce
>WebRTC in/out
>Google suite

Everyone was on thinkpads before and would destroy them. Some windows updates would break the headsets and chrome would fuck up the webrtc panel. Replaced the $500 laptops with $250 chromebooks, smooth as fuck. A huge chunk of modern businesses and consumers only need browser based shit, why WOULDN'T they buy chromebooks?