Long time listener first time caller

long time listener first time caller

is this album just not clicking with anyone else? It feels like there's something missing and it's definitely not the production.

There's little evolution in the sound relative to their past albums, but it's definitely clicked for me. I love it.

I think thats what its missing for me. There was so much change from album to album for death grips but this just feels like its pandering to the money store. Maybe its just too much of the same?

Honestly it feels like an album full of just good songs, making it very consistent and enjoyable to listen to but there are no huge stand outs.

Other DG albums in my opinions have like a few good ones, some not too good ones, and then amazing perfect standouts. This album lacks the bad songs, but also lacks the amazing ones as well. Its just a solid refined DG.

good point. There was no stand out bad songs on this album but nothing really stuck to the wall for me

I think Spikes, Eh, Three Bedrooms and 80808 are all standouts in the DG discography, it didn't click for me on first listen but it didn't take it that long to click either. Got it on repeat now essentially

I have two problems with it. First, the instrumentals felt like they were going back over old ground. Didn't feel fresh to me at all. Also, for me the biggest appeal to ride's delivery was that it didn't feel like rapping. More like a madman spilling himself onto a song, and it felt real. This album feels like he's a part of a song, and it's just not as intense and real to me anymore. Really is a shame cause this band has completely widened my concept of art and impacted me in such a huge way.

You were expecting Death Grips 2.0 but instead you were given a collection of cyberpunk bangers ready to turn the dancefloor into a fucking warzone

Death Grips 3.0 - very shallow listening

The album isn't clicking with me as much as I would like either op. I really like Hothead, I Keep Giving Bad People Good Ideas, Eh and Blackhole, with Blackhole being my new favorite DG song. The rest don't do much for me though. People say Spikes is really good but I don't get much from it. The sound is consistent all the way through which is cool. I think it's still pretty good it's like a 7/10.

I liked pretty much every song and would rate it an 8/10 but I'm still kind of disappointed because I expected/hoped that they would do reinvent their sound. It just sounded like JD + TMS

Well, i suppose it's been a few days. Time to get everyone coming out if the woodwork saying how they actually don't like the album, and that'm it's a 6/10 at best. Wait a few months, and then discussion can actually start.

I just think they should've cut out 'Trash' because it's such a shit song.

You don't know trash, but you upload trash. Who the fuck are you even

I don't even know what to think of Death Grips.
At the start I had to try listening to them about 5 separate times, hating it each time, before I finally gave Ex-Military a chance.
I listened to it all the way through and worked my way through their discography. I actually had a to work myself into a liking for each one.
It's weird. I haven't done this with music before and I'm not sure if it's just the repetitive listening that has garnered my support for their work.

It's just not really challenging. That need to listen to it over and over before you can really appreciate it is gone. It's not bad though. Kind of like a combination of TMS and JD.

It's the first time it feels like they're rehashing ideas instead of moving forward creatively though.

I kinda want more glitch-rap hardcore punk stuff going on. Needs more guitar rifts and heavy drums and bass I reckon. Also more intense Ride would be freaking great.

It's certainly not as immediate as The Money Store. Compare any of the songs to the first time you heard Get Got. That... thing after the intro hook, it instantly tore your mind, let you know things were going to be different.

Ride's getting fucking less and less coherent with these lyrics. He's always spoken in metaphor, and let me offer some insight from another medium:

>"He does not even use the word 'time.' How do you explain this voluntary omission?"

>..."In a riddle whose answer is 'chess,' what is the only prohibited word?'

>"I thought a moment and replied, 'The word 'chess'.'

>"'Precisely... The Garden of Forking Paths is an enormous riddle, or parable, whose theme is time; this recondite cause prohibits its mention. To omit a word always, to resort to inept metaphors and obvious periphrases, is perhaps the most emphatic way of stressing it."

But at this point I'm convinced that what he does is he types out want he wants to say, in plain English, and then butchers it into a patois

>"Thermal strong arm gravity sink bong
Head games with an only child
I foghorn devils devils jelly
Felt me, unbelt me, bombard your belly
Force feed me through your telly
Cyborg swelling pregnant can’t abort"

These are barely sentences. Compare:

>"Last night, 3:30 in the morning, Death on my front porch
Can feel him itching to take me with him, hail death, fuck you waiting for
Like a question no one mention, he turns around, hands me his weapon
He slurs, "Use at your discretion, it's been a pleasure, Stefan"

The former is like some fucking Rorschach test where you're bombarded by abstraction and you get to figure out the image.

Ride's got this crazy misanthrope portfolio and songs like Punk Weight, I Want It I Need It, Thru The Walls, Beware, Get Got, it's immediately apparent that he's been in all these emotional lows before. Compare fucking Eh and Trash. It's fucking embarrassing grade-school nihilism. It's not even well-stated. Pic related.

*grade schooler's idea of nihilism

Yeah I agree there is little evolution in the sound and it seems too familiar. Also the band feel less dangerous now.

I feel like it was a big fake-out. Get people to believe they're gonna make electronic free-jazz, then do some mainstream trash. I don't really like any of the tracks other than GGPBI, Hothead, Bubbles, Houdini, and Bottomless Pit. And only Hothead really stands out. I don't care for any of the other tracks at all. First time DG has let me down, man

at what point did they make it seem like they were gonna make electronic free jazz?

nice meme

It's too consistent. It feels like they've settled on a style

As much as I want to like it, I can't. It drops for me after Spikes and picks up again at 80808. I genuinely loved
Giving Bad People Good Ideas
Hot Head
Spikes
Eh
Bottomless Pit

This album lacks something I don't know what exactly. But overall it was mainly filler. Made me love the hell out of Jenny Death though.

This is how I've been describing it and it feels more and more true every day. Anthony pointed out in his review that it is amazing that this deep into their discography they're still putting out songs that become some all-time favorites of his.

I didn't get that from BP. Even if BP is miles ahead of Jenny Death in production, and also a much more consistent album. JD had Inanimate Sensation, Turned Off, On GP, songs I won't soon forget that are still some of my favorites.

I'm well over 5 repeated listens on all songs on BP and there is still no track that I can consider "one of my favorites" actually Hot Head perhaps, I wouldn't say that is in my absolute top tier of tracks, but it's incredibly memorable especially the 2nd half of the song. But the rest, they're just good. I wish I liked it more.

I expected more punk after JD