Why KDE shilling? I use kde btw

> December 2017
> "Holy shit user, why are you using KDE/Plasma? it's so fucking bloated and buggy, are you retarded? Use XFCE or GNOME"
> Daily KDE is bloated hate thread
> Daily KDE is buggy thread
> Daily KDE is dying thread
> Daily QT is shit thread

> February 2018
> "KDE/Plasma is the best DE ever made"
> Daily KDE Neon, Fedora w/ KDE, Kubuntu shill thread
> Daily Konqi shill thread
> Daily "Explain why you don't use KDE in current year"
> Daily file picker meme thread with KDE Shilling

what happened, Sup Forums? Have you finally been awakened in 2018 about the KDE power, stability and usability?
I'm happy about that, I use Kubuntu btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=135427
bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55638
forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-bad-font-rendering-when-scrolling/5175
launchpad.net/~plasmazilla
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>kubuntu
>no kde neon
enjoy your buggy sack of nigger shit

Kubuntu 17.10 is pretty solid to me. I didn't have any problem.

hope you're running KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS else you're still vulnerable to CVE-2018-6791

Kubuntu is updated to 5.12

> Inserting unknown thumbdrive on your computer

people only promote it because it's the biggest competitor to the cancer that is Redhat+GTK/GNOME*SystemD÷CIA

>implying Neon isn't buggy
I used that shit for 3 months and haven't had a single week when it wouldn't crash. It had 4 crashes in total which required a complete reboot as the window manager got fucked up completely, removing window borders/decorations and window control.

It's significantly better than GNOME. While it doesn't have the stability of Xfce, Xfce will become shit soon as they move to gtk3 instead of Qt. The only good 2 DEs remaining will be KDE and Budgie, unless Xfce 4.14/4.16 turns out not be complete shit. Also
>use GNOME
>said no one ever

Gnome went to shit, thats why KDE is promoted now.
>inb4 xfce
No. It doesnt have high dpi support, among other things.

>Daily QT is shit thread
Nice fantasy

People bought into various memes and their combinations:
>gtk file picker
>redhat, systemd, etc
>getting pointed to a better meme kde distro after noticing its shit on the one they are using
>qt being sane vs gtk being retarded every version

Worst part is the shilling is not stopping and there is no sign of wacom tablet support and any themes that are not black as something meme or torchlight bright, and the retarded one-pixel line art icons.
Honorary mention is that since early kde4 days fonts get corrupted now and then if you scroll too fast on plasma applets interface.

>any themes that are not black as something meme or torchlight bright
Nice try GTK shill. KDE has independent widget and color schemes, so you can choose whichever color scheme you want with whichever widget style you fucking want. And there are a bunch of color schemes preinstalled which are nowhere near pure black or white, to name a few: honeycomb, various shades of the krita color scheme, norway and wonton soup.
But of course you didn't know that since you never used it.

While I am at it, can you point me to a bug report for that font corruption issue?

Because GNOME and related projects are so bad and cancer and literally killing Linux that KDE is a masterpiece in comparison now.

>what happened, Sup Forums
gnome fuckeries a few weeks ago about removing features because the devs didn't use them (therefore no one else use them by their logic)

>everyone that notices my DEs faults is a shill
i would point you to the screenshots but it will be n-th time i have to install KDE in order to provide them, steps to reproduce are: open the add widget list -> scroll down fast -> fonts are corrupted (cut out from the bottom) like in pic related:
forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=135427

This, as well as a few other annoying bugs made me move back to XFCE.

I tried KDE 5.11 on Manjaro because I was told anything over 5.6 was no longer shit. The font issues, waking up from sleep with nVidia drivers is still an issue, couldn't have video thumbnails even with the ffmpegthumbs package.

here i took the time to google "kde scrolling fonts" for you
bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55638
and
forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-bad-font-rendering-when-scrolling/5175

it got much better and Gnome is still bad

gnome is bad by design imo (lack of customization and modularity), KDE makes sense but has too much bugs and quirks that just annoy the shit out of me.

>everyone that notices my DEs faults is a shill
Well if you spout stuff that's clearly bullshit because you can't seem to wrap your head around color schemes and widget themes being independent then it sure seems like it.

Considering the font corruption, it seems to be a Qt issue as indicated by as you can see there the last post is over a year old. I also couldn't reproduce it on my KDE 5.12 desktop, webm related.
If it's not fixed there's probably more detail needed for it to be reproduced, but that's something you should post on a bug tracker, not on Sup Forums.

KDE works for me. There are few bugs here and there, but it's generally fine AS ANY LINUX DE

I workarounded slow scrolling it by installing xf86-input-evdev and forcing mouse devices to use it (so xf86-input-libinput does not need to be uninstalled):

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-user.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
MatchIsPointer "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Konqi threads are dying out

> volume label can be interpreted as shell commands
Fucking what, it's why can't people sanitize their inputs

see i had to download kde to show you again. And yes it is fixed in 5.12 appparently, well done KDE team, in 5.10 however:

This but I haven't tried Budgie yet, I'll wait until it's ported to qt.

Because we hate GNOME now. Retarded decisions by devs. Next best DE is KDE.
>hurr durr XFCE
Unless you have slow PC.

why is mate never mentioned before xfce? More features/MB, lightweight, actually maintained, compatible with almost everything composition wise?

>shilling
>free open source software

Choose one

Mate isn't as light anymore.
>more features
Sure, when compared to GNOME.

What's the best KDE distro? I hear about Neon, Manjaro, Opensuse

openSUSE, Gecko and Neon.

Xfce is a lightweight environment that mostly does its own thing, and has a few really good components. MATE is just an attempt to unfuck GNOME.

Because KDE kept getting better and better

Lol everybody knows cinnemon is top tier.

>GNOME clone
>good
Pick 1

because
> December 2017
KDE was buggy as hell and sucked your RAM

> February 2018
KDE is now stable, Gnome is terrible and KDE take a little more RAM than XFCE

I really recommend it. Been using it for about a year now on now Ubuntu 17.10. Unless you're really fucking hitting your machine hard, it's damned stable.

Shove arc on that shit and you've got a slick machine. Using on an e6230, still plenty of screen space using it.

gtk 3

But KDE has improved a lot:

>It consumes less ram than MATE.
>Both GTK and Qt apps look better on Plasma.
>The default theming is great.
>Konki is 10/10 mascot-fu.
>Even fucking KUBUNTU is functional these days.

you can't even have oxygen in plasma (work right)

unironically like gnome shell BUT
>don't like the micro stutter in mpv in wayland
>don't like the unusable nautilus performance
>don't like the obscene ram reserved for a desktop
so i just use weston

maybe one day gnome devs will pull their heads out of their asses but for now it doesn't seem like that. kde on the other hand got some serious polishing and is even lightweight. i'd probably use it myself but xfce is just too comfy

Gnome did it themselves
Fuck gnome and its devs

trips of truth

>what happened, Sup Forums? Have you finally been awakened in 2018 about the KDE power, stability and usability?
KDE has actually improved their shit with 5.12 and Gnome has fucked up everything so much that the LXDE team dropped GTK for Qt

>KDE makes sense but has too much bugs and quirks that just annoy the shit out of me.
It's not 2014. anymore. Try it.

I've found KDE to be great, and I'm just a humble Debian testing user since 2005

unironically: can kde do thumbnails in the file picker like nautilus? if not, can it be enabled? lookkng to replace ubuntu 16.04 with debian 9 + xfce or kde.

KDE has thumbnails in the file picker. However, unless you use the distro known for great KDE support (OpenSUSE), you won't get file pickers with thumbnails if you use Firefox.

I don't know what KDE is or does, sorry.

Damn Firefox is where I need it for uploading photos...

just installed KDE on my antergos machine (x220) and it's the first time since 2002 i'm trying it. blows gnome featurewise and xfce powerwise out of the water.

Konqiposter isn't a shill.

The GNOME shilling contract ended January 1st 2018 so now you are seeing Sup Forums's honest opinion.

Are you proud of knowing less about technology than the general public while posting on a technology board?

KDE is just to buggy and bloated to me.
t. KDE Neon user

5.12 is really great

KDE really depens on the distro.
Used KDE Fedora for a week, crashed every 5 minutes.
Using Kubuntu for a month, not a single problem.

how do i get the filepicker thumbnails from openPEPE on other distros?

launchpad.net/~plasmazilla

Try to install kdialog and use chromium

see
for Kubuntu and KDE Neon

Cinnamon is great right now, but will become harder to maintain as the codebase diverges further from Gnome. They're also going to have trouble maintaining a consistent UI now that Gnome is pushing its bullshit "vision" into GTK. Cinnamon also seems to be behind in the migration to Wayland.

I'm on Mint Cinnamon now, but I'll probably switch to Kubuntu 18.04 or Neon in a few months. Plasma 5.12 is snappy and comfy, and KDE is in a much better position to stay stable over the coming years.

>Cinnamon is great
not if you have multiple monitors. unless you install a third party package, you can't have different wallpapers on different monitors. also the last time I tried it, it was crashing frequently.

GNOME gets shittier, KDE gets better. There is some shilling for sure but I cannot tell you how happy I am that KDE is turning out to be how it is right now, because back in summer I just didn't want to use it at all. It is quickly getting pretty fucking good. It doesn't stop being as usable as the average classic DE but it also keeps up with what people use today on different systems without shoving it down your throat.

And yeah, regarding alternatives, it's time to put XFCE to rest and GNOME is getting honestly irritating and a little bit embarrassing.

KDE Fedora is the worst choice. On the live distro I could not go 15 seconds without it crashing for whatever reason. Upon installation after 2 reboots without doing anything that would warrant it, I couldn't even get to sddm.

In terms of stability with KDE I would say:

Neon = OpenSUSE > Kubuntu >>>>> Manjaro >>>>>>> Fedora

>QT is shit thread
let's not get QT involved, it's much better than gtk. unfortunately I can't say the same about kde, it's a piece of shit.

CHECK

Are you proud of being this new?

>There is some shilling for sure

Oh, you were just pretending to be ignorant?

it's a meme you dip

OpenSUSE. German distro for german DE. Go GDM.
Also, don't forget to get a keyboard with german switches.

Who cares? What's the benefit of having different wallpapers on each monitor? How much time do you even spend looking at your wallpaper?