Why is vinyl making a comeback? It's such a clunky and obsolete format

Why is vinyl making a comeback? It's such a clunky and obsolete format.
What happens when digital music goes obsolete? We all return to CD's?
And why the fuck do some people still make casette tapes?

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/music/vinyl-made-more-money-than-every-free-streaming-service-combined-in-2015/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

CD is digital though.

>Why is vinyl making a comeback?
muh collecting. muh real music.

>What happens when digital music goes obsolete?
It never will.

>We all return to CD's?
They still make CD's.

>And why the fuck do some people still make casette tapes?
It's cheap and convenient.

instagram/social media
physical is nice too
good artwork

it's pretty much a cheaper way of buying nice Paintings around your house.
Still a expensive hobby only really runned by upper middle class kids whos parents give them an allowance
boggles my mind people with retail jobs in university can afford all this crap.
I can't :(

because people are pathetic trend hoppers

Hipsters same with cassettes

It's cool to have.

CDs aren't really cool to have. Practical people buy CDs.

Cassettes are kinda cool to have, but eventually the tape gets all fucked and you remember why nobody liked them.

If you pay for MP3s you're just an idiot because you don't have the benefits of any of the other media and you paid for something you don't get a physical copy of. Chances are you didn't even pay for a copy, just the right to listen to it.

Also Spotify is the only real answer anyway.

Some people want physical copies and if you're gonna choose your format by packaging gramophone records make the most sense. Also there's some people who prefer them because they often have different, non loudness war'd, masters than the CDs/downloads, but I don't think they're a large percentage.

Pretty much, i'd add

>Why is vinyl making a comeback?
The physical format of vinyl, the sleeve, the artwork, the inserts, the liner notes are all things people like about a vinyl record.

Muh lo fi, muh 90's

Pretty much. However, it's not that expensive a hobby as long as you're not buying brand new overpriced equipment and records like most of these trendhopping kids do. There's a way to go about collecting vinyl that's fun and fairly cheap (i.e. buying used). If music is your main interest and you actually have a job, it's not that much of an expense.

>spotify

missing quite a few artists and has incomplete discographies for many artists that it does include

its a great way to easily listen to music, but its definitely only scratching the surface of what the internet has to offer. those who use Spotify as their sole source of music are by definition, plebs

Because record companies figured out that preying on people's emotions was a better way of gettng them to buy music than shutting down the pirate bay.
digitaltrends.com/music/vinyl-made-more-money-than-every-free-streaming-service-combined-in-2015/

Also this. If you're going to buy music it's the only way that really makes sense. When you buy MP3s (and to an extent when you pay for streaming services), you're paying for something you could easily get for free.

>>And why the fuck do some people still make casette tapes?

its so local bands can easily release physical merchandise. A batch of cassette tapes can only run a band $50, while CDs can be $200. It's only logical that a small group is going to release cassettes. It also allows people at shows to buy some merch.

I am in a band, and released our last ep on both cd and cassette, and i can tell you cassettes are more than double the cost of CD's to make. CD's are dirt cheap

>The physical format of vinyl, the sleeve, the artwork, the inserts, the liner notes are all things people like about a vinyl record.

THIS
Buying a limited run of an album on vinyl gets you a beautiful collectors piece you can be proud of displaying and returning to time and again

Buying a limited run of a CD gets you a sheet of stickers, lyrics if you're lucky, and maybe a cardboard box to hide the disgusting jewel case. You burn the CD immediately so you never have to touch the physical media again.

Pre-ordering an MP3 gets you a bonus track that is already on the other two formats.

>could easily get for free
>listening to bands popular enough to have torrents

hmm how large were the batches of CDs and Cassettes?

for a run of 50 CDs I was quoted almost $150, while 80 cassettes were only around $60

>Listening to bands shitty enough to not be on soulseek

not missing anything good senpai

if your tastes develop beyond entry level indie, then you'll realize how shit spotify can be

Only normie scum collect vinyl anymore, cassettes too. All the patricians are back on CDs.

>Spotify

correct.

>It's cheap and convenient.
fuck off
100 CD-Rs is £14 from tesco
£48.00 was the cheapest I could find for 100 blank audio cassettes
Not to mention that CDs are extremely high quality while the best audio cassettes have barely 56dB of dynamic range.
You're paying far more for something that is objectively worse, outdated, bulky and fucking stupid.

The Luddites need to go.

I like the idea of finding my vinyls years later after forgetting about them. I owe my future self this nostalgic rush.

vinyl still has a far wider frequency response than CD

not sure if that matters but some people think it might

not that guy but cassettes are still worth it if you want a lo-fi/"""warm""" quality.

So they're worth it if you want your music to sound like shit?
I see.
I mean you could always bitcrush it and distort it for that shitty analogue sound and burn that to a CD if you want your music to sound like shit, but whatever floats you boat I guess.

>So they're worth it if you want your music to sound like shit?
that's pretty subjective, but yes
>I mean you could always bitcrush it and distort it for that shitty analogue sound
do you even know what analogue means

No, I meant warm as in having my dick in your fucking anus, faggyboy. Suck it down, tapes rule.

I am and and I agree

I know what analogue means, the "warm" sound is not magic it's distortion and fuzz from the noise floor, you can reproduce that in digital if you want to.

you can get a decent approximation using certain programs, but it's never quite as good as the original
also if doesn't really capture how the sound quality gets more fucked up the more you play a tape

i buy cassette tapes online- cds suck (slightest scratch youre fucked). music is art and should be presented as so in record w/ open cover and sleeve as well as cassettes that have the same feature only smaller and portable (you can bring a cassette player and play it while camping)

>cd-rs from tesco
those are that cheap for a reason and if you actually sell your music on shit cd-rs you're an idiot

THiS

You are a living meme.
CDs are perfect quality and will play perfectly if lightly scratched, you literally need to be a child to fuck up a CD to an unplayable state.
The quality of a CD-R is no different to any other CD, if it plays it will play with the perfect quality of any other CD.
If you don't have a record deal and you want to distribute your music then there's literally nothing wrong with using CD-Rs.
Seeing as high school physics seemed to pass you buy here's a handy image explaining the difference between digital and analog signal.

>The quality of a CD-R is no different to any other CD
Sound quality yes. Longevity, no.

Do people actually do this?

>if it plays it will play with the perfect quality of any other CD.

until a year later when the disc suddenly stops being read by players

Do what?

Close the jewel case on their CD like that.

This is a possibility for sure, but by then you're likely to have ripped it already, or at least got years of plays out of it.
If the alternative we're considering is cassettes then then literally degrade with every play and cannot be perfectly copied.

It's just an illustration genius.

It is. And it's wrong.

>a year later
They tend to live longer when you're not constantly gouging at them with your cheeto-encrusted thumb cocks, lardass.

>not constantly gouging at them with your cheeto-encrusted thumb cocks
But if you're not gonna do that, why even live?

Nigga just compress the shit out of your mp3s if that's what you want

that's a totally different type of lo-fi user
not that I don't like it, but it's """"cold"""" rather than """"warm"""" if anything

>CD
kek

I find that some artists sound better on Vinyl due to the guitar sounding more raw.

plebeian detected
>listening to string music
you too

do you like being brickwalled?

>legitimately thinking CD sounds good
kek

Double trips confirm CD master race

>judging music by whether or not it sounds """"""""good"""""""" or not
holy fuck, we have a double plebeian over here boys

Older records from the late sixties and early seventies have legitimate differences in the mixing/mastering. An original Zep pressing sounds much better than any of the CD remasters that have been issued. I was disgusted by the remasters on the Mothership compilation my brother got, literally sounds like buttrock.

Big and pretty artwork.

>Why is vinyl making a comeback? It's such a clunky and obsolete format.
Because autists think the distorting low end and crackle sound nice.
>What happens when digital music goes obsolete? We all return to CD's?
CDs and digital music are practically the same thing, only CDs are physical discs with FLACs on them. They still make CDs, too, so that's something.
This is what I want to know. I think it's mostly vaporwave memers who are trying to feed "muh a e s t h e t i c", but otherwise tape has no redeeming qualities over anything, even vinyl. The few autists that think it's cheaper to produce tapes clearly have never bought a CD spindle, since tape is hard to locate, not easy to find, and not mass produced like they used to be.

this

i really dislike the remastered versions of some albums i love (too much bass because everyone wants bass today, everything has the same volume, other things).
i looked for older CDs of these albums but instead i found very good quality vinyls, which were like $5 more, so i bought these.
didnt regret a single thing, vinyl is really awesome.