/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

browserleaks.com/ip
nmap.org/misc/defeat-nmap-osdetect.html
prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=171&page=1
kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.*
reddit.com/r/Zeos/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#User_centrality
cydiaios7.com/cydia-ios-11-2-5.html
linux.die.net/man/1/ffmpeg
trac.ffmpeg.org/
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/How to speed up / slow down a video
ddg.gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do I get past paywalls on some websites?

Best icon packs that work with KissLauncher?

What's going on here? Arch is being a shit in Vbox. Keeps giving me this weird error. Installing in non-efi setup.

-target, not target
or just omit it, it should detect i386-pc on it's own

EDIT: I realized I tired installing grub in the boot partition like a dumbass. However it still gives me the same error when I try to install in the MBR.

why is Sup Forums so anti-mac? i get the freetards, but what about the ones that dual boot windows and linux and thus aren't *that* indoctrinated into rms' bullshit? i used to hate macs (still can't stand apple) but then i was given one as a gift and it's literally like using a really nice, consistent, stable DE on linux with all of the same cli software available, but also being able to run the majority of commercial software natively as well. i get that the hardware is WAY overpriced for what it is, i wouldn't have bought one prior to owning one, but the resale value is really good and they depreciate very, very slowly, so in most cases you can mitigate most of the sticker shock on a brand new mac by just selling your old mac. i mean, when you do it that way, you're basically able to pick up a brand new mac whenever you're ready to upgrade for around the price of a budget walmart laptop.

tl;dr why does Sup Forums irrationally hate macs?

oh, also, install to sda, not sda1, you're applying a bootsector

>>for Linux related OK, what does rm / -rf does?

you want just "grub-install /dev/sda", that's it.

chances are you'll get an error saying that doing so is dangerous, if you also include --no-preserve-root, then that will delete everything you have write access to, if you run it as root, it will delete everything that can possibly be deleted

Yeah, lol.

Pay.
They are really easy to use, so the mindset goes that only idiots use them. They are really expensive, especially compared to other, higher-end technology, which leads people to believe that the people who buy them are even bigger idiots for doing so only because of their brand loyalty (and potentially that they're too dumb to use anything else.) And that they have a diehard community of fans who don't know anything about computing but claim apple is the greatest.

macos has some advantages over windows, namely being partially open source, and being unix-like
but calling it best of both worlds (commercial support + unix-like) is a stretch, it's not really ideal at either, making it more of a convenient compromise versus a windows + linux dualboot
i personally don't care much for the hardware, it's mostly average, with non-standard keyboards, oversized trackpads and no trackpoint, and bare-minimum IO
i've owned a few macs before, the last being a 2010 macbook i owned from 2011-2012, the best part about it was that it sold for twice what i paid for it, they definitely keep their value

for me personally, the only thing i use windows for is solidworks, which has no mac version, so software-wise, macos is useless to me, and since i also don't care much for the hardware, i don't feel any desire to get any macos/mac stuff right now
i could multiboot macos on my current machine, but it doesn't offer anything i can't do as well or better than what i have

I haven't used an ubuntu distro since like 12.0X, has it gotten any better? Is it still bloated with unnecessary search addons and online account stuff?

Is there a way to block text messages on Android without using an app? I'm using Mr. Number for calls but there's no way to block texts on it. The Phone is a Motorola G3

I have Linux Lite installed on my machine, I wanted to change the Windows Manager to try i3, it seems that when I logout should there be a option to choose what WM I want, but there is nothing there.

how is the program showing my specs in the desktop called? i have no idea

you're probably thinking of rainmeter (windows) or conky (x11)

it's manjaro linux, you can see it there, so rainmeter is discarded, conky it seems but i'm not sure

Is anyone here good with networking on Linux? Is there any way you could defeat the TCP/IP OS Fingerprinting on this test? Even in a virtual machine with Windows it's able to detect I use Linux.
browserleaks.com/ip

There are some solutions provided here but they're all outdated and no longer being maintained.
nmap.org/misc/defeat-nmap-osdetect.html

So here's a strange on for you Sup Forums. My Facebook profile picture consists of me and somebody else, they have recently decided that they no longer like me and want me to remove the picture, they have been calling me non stop and sending messages saying that they have proof they have asked me to remove the picture and I have not, and should this continue the police will be forced to intervene and take the picture down. .y 2 questions are

>I'm assuming this person reported it to Facebook and then failed, does Facebook have a certain amount of times you can report something?

>Will a police force actually take time out of their day to come round to my house and watch me remove a photo on my computer?

I'm in the UK should it matter

I've got two thumbnaildata files in my DCIM folder on my phone.
They total up to >3GB. How do I delete it permanently? They recreate themselves automatically when I delete them.

She can report it to Facebook they won't do anything if she's just a normal user. And yes the police aren't going to bother with it. If its just a normal photo...if there is nudity or anything like that they might

What does the option security.tls.version.max in firefox mean?
>site I usually go to doesn't load in FF
>Try other browsers (from phone)
>it works fine
>notice that the URL uses SSL now
>try in chromium
>I get ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY
>change the TLS max version to something else
>it werks
So what happened? Why would changing the TLS version make it work?
It it safe to do that?

With the same size?

It's a photo of me and my brother, I'm assuming Facebook reports for him nowhere. He's is constantly messaging me saying that he has contacted the police on the non emergency number and that if I don't comply they will force me to remove the picture. It's literally a photo of us standing next to each other

>Will a police force actually take time out of their day to come round to my house and watch me remove a photo on my computer?
>I'm in the UK

Tough one. Would you be imprisoned for your dog doing a salute or for revving your car engine in a "racist manner"? If the answer is 'yes' then yeah they probably will, and if the "somebody else" is female then I wouldn't be surprised if you were forced to sign some kind of register for the next 10 years. Welcome to freedom.

One's 1.69 and the other is 1.66 gb

is SICP a meme?

Then your all good, no need to remove it

i need to buy the cheapest but decent quality speakers possibile for desktop. any suggestions?

Basically use better gallery app.
Simple gallery is recommended

If I have about 100 small videofiles with file names sorted in alphabetical order.
How do I combine these videos into one single file using ffmpeg?

Why cant I change my brightness with Debain 9.3 stable on T430?

*what

Found a ZyTel router (p660w-t1 v3-POTS)
wat do with it?

Are there third party/"universal" socket adapters for CPU coolers?
I have a Prolimatech Megahalem for socket 1366. I want to use it on an 1156 motherboard, there is an official adapter kit**, but I can't find it in stock anywhere

**prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=171&page=1

i tried ubuntu as my first linux driver and it was pretty laggy and choppy while doing basic functions. downloaded kde, and while the experience is better but it's almost nothing like gnome, everything is in different places and shortcuts are all different - are all DE that different from each other? seems like learning one DE would be a pain, if you'd have to switch to another afterwards

Stick it up in your ass.

it has little to do with actual programming

Ok this wasn't easy.
I used
(for %%i in (*.mp4) do @echo file '%%i') > mylist.txt

in order to compile a list. But And it works fine, for like the first 10. But then how come 100 and 101 and 102 etc, comes before 11 and 12? And then
How do you make a script that actually follows a proper alphabetical/numerical order?

Are you sure you didn't change the min?
kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.*
min is a security measure to avoid connections to servers which use something like SSL3.0.
no idea why there's a max. Maybe it's so that if there's a shitty server which mis-implements TLS1.2 then you can prevent firefox from trying that protocol.

Zeos is a bit of a meme but his guides aren't too bad. You can try looking at these lists and at least you won't get tinny garbage (apologies for linking to reddit):
reddit.com/r/Zeos/

>I'm in the UK should it matter
Are they a minority? If the answer is yes then you're probably going to prison for life. You'll be lucky if someone murders you in your sleep for it.

The whole point of different DEs is that they're not all the same. So that you can pick what you like.
Most basic tasks should be intuitive, if they're not then the DE is shit (or you're used to shitty interfaces).

what web browser should I be using?

As somebody fairly comfortable with C++ who wants to transition to web design, what would be a good place to start?

>Are you sure you didn't change the min?
Yes, I double checked.
Even reusing the old value reproduce the problem.
TLS min is set to one which uses TLS 1.0
While TLS max is set to 2 which uses TLS 1.1.
For some reason TLS 3 which TLS 1.2 causes firefox to not open the site.
Also setting the Min value to 0 causes the same issue.
Any idea?

>Galaxy note 4 gifted, barely used
>sweet don't have to buy new phone
>fuckign facebook is a system app and can't be obliterated from phone
Is there really no alternative to rooting it? I'm a lazy fuck and don't really want to go through the hassle

Lately my internet has been weird. The browser works fine, but my online games don't work. Any idea what could be causing it?

Then it's probably the reason I gave in my first response. The website doesn't handle TLS 1.2 correctly and causes a protocol error and firefox gives you an error instead of trying a lower protocol number (probably some downgrade attack mitigation).

If setting the min to 0 gives you another error then the website is probably even more buggy.

If it's only one website then I wouldn't worry about it. You can probably contact the webmaster about it.

Finally, someone might be fiddling with your connection to force you to use a specific subset of protocols for some reason, that's unlikely though.

>Site is buggy
I believe that the case as well, the site is related to my ISP and can only be accessed if you are subscribed to it.
>contact the webmaster about it
Tell it what? your implementation of TLS 1.2 is buggy and making FF refuse to open?
>someone might be fiddling with your connection to force you to use a specific subset of protocols for some reason
I highly doubt it because as I said the site is only accessible to the ISP subscriber, and I tested it with older version of opera and it still works without fiddling with it.
Can I ask a few more questions?
I checked the site and it uses TLS 1.1 verified by GeoTrust Inc.
Does it make any difference?

>Tell it what? your implementation of TLS 1.2 is buggy and making FF refuse to open?
Just act dumb and say you have problems opening the page in firefox and chrome. Send them the errors you get.
> the site is related to my ISP and can only be accessed if you are subscribed to it.
Might be the way this is implemented means that that they're doing something dodgy which breaks on some web browsers.

Hey anons,
Is my ssd dying if I get these alot?
Every time it happens pc freezes for 15-20 sec

One last question.
I assume setting my browser to use TLS 1.1 isn't safe at all, right?
is there a way say to make the browser uses TLS 1.1 on specific site?

Turns out what I am after is called called natural order or a natural sort.
But how exactly do I make a list file with a natural order? All my attempts have failed. Either I get a list file without natural order or it simply fails to output a list file altogether.
I kind of feel like this shouldn't be that difficult but it appears like it is.

I don't think there's anything wrong with TLS 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2. Newer versions are "safer" but as long as you're no longer using SSL 3.0 and earlier, and are generally avoiding TLS 1.0 then you'll be fine.

For site specific SSL settings you would likely need some kind of browser plugin but I don't know if any exist.

there's a website out there for screenshot/image comparisons between multiple different sources, what is it? on the tip of my tongue. It's not screenshotcomparison since that's between 2 sources and its not anime-only like one other.

I'm looking for a tablet specifically to read manga, any recommendations?

What do you know.
I just checked again and the site uses TLS 1.2 now.
However not everything loads up.
Does this means they're upgrading or something?

Can you self-reference other entries inside .Xresources?

Something like Class.foreground = .color0 ?

So I got a dual monitor set up, whenever I let my screens sleep the primary screen shuts off essentially and all my windows can transported to the other screen. When I unlock/unsleep it it shoves all the windows back onto my primary screen but resized and otherwise messed up.

its not a big deal but its really annoying have to resort everything, anyone know whats the d eal?

How do I have the same tabs on every computer in Firefox? Like not this separate menu bullshit, I want it so that when I switch from my Thinkpad to my desktop for say gaming it's the same exact tabs I was just looking at.

Let's look at the facts here:
> ISP
> internal website which is only accessible by customers
> fucky shit going on when connecting over certain secure protocols
> problems with two major browsers

They're probably cleaning their mess up.

>violent monkey
Changes nothing. I was on tampermonkey before and gave it a try. What was this supposed to accomplish?

Anyone know how to fix ranger crashing when trying to open images with feh? Only happens in a folders with many pictures(7000+), and I get the error:
>"[Errno 7] Argument list too long: '/bin/sh'"
So I guess it tries to write all filenames in the folder to open or something?
When opening a image from the folder with feh directly it works, so it shouldn't be a problem with it.

Current 4yr old phone is getting really slow for whatever reason, and I've been looking for an excuse to replace it.
Budget = $450
Must haves:
>Capacities buttons on the bottom
>Decent durability/build quality
>Good camera (by phone standards)
>Headphone jack
>Expandable memory

* Android version doesn't matter
* Screen resolution doesn't matter

Factory reset it?

I got a "free" Windows 10 upgrade from a pirate 7 like the rest of them.
I'm buying a new computer now, is there any way to transfer over? I've read there are ways to extract the license key.

>Wanted to connect via RDP to Windows server
>Have FagOS of FagBook Air
>Can't connect to Windows server without downloading via fucking appstore RDP
>GNU/Linux - no problem, out of box
So, what GNU/Linux is BEST for FagBook? Gentoo?

How do I know if I'm protected against the Spectre and Meltdown shit?

When I google its unclear as fuck. I have an i5 4670K if thats relevant, and I'm running Windows 10

Checked InSpectre
Apparently I'm not protected against Spectre?

Is this because myGigabyte aren't pushing a bios update for my 5 year old Mboard?

I'm just looking for phone suggestions

How do I download an attachment from redhats bugzilla?
Just clicking the link gives me a page of what looks like encrypted text.
Their help page says
>To download an attachment as a different Content-Type (e.g. application/xhtml+xml), you can override this using a 'content_type' parameter on the URL, e.g. &content_type=text/plain.

But this is an .img file - what "content_types" are there?

I'm currently using youtubedl to download videos from youtube.

What can I use to trim said videos?

Many times they have some stupid bullshit at the beginning or end that I'd like to take out.

Moto X4, Nokia 8?

>problems with two major browsers
After some testing it seems the issue is only with chromium and firefox.
I've contacted the webmaster, he told me I should just use chrome, and he doesn't know what a chromium is.

When is the intel with vega igpu coming out?
Since I believe xiaomi will use it for their notebook and if they keep the same price this is going to be awesome

duno but i have
if [ -f ~/.bash_alias ]; then
. ~/.bash_alias
fi
in .bashrc

i wouldn't use a source distro
it may be the easiest to try any buntu but test in live cd first because LTS may or may not work better than the latest release

ffmpeg -i yt-video -ss 20 -c copy output-yt-video

run 4chX for you?

ff

>are all DE that different from each other
not really, search a bit if you like gnome, there may be a bugzilla thread or something, it could be mutter

Why arch is meme? Or better say, I'm newfag and what's the deal with arch?

>Ubuntu?
>Debian?
>Debian testing?
All I want to do is
>run HD video without tearing
>install VirtualBox and have it actually work (thanks for nothing Fedora)
>install Steam and have Source engine games actually work (thanks for nothing Fedora)
>install proprietary stuff like Discord and Spotify without having to fudge .deb packages or resort to shit like snap (thanks for nothing, application developers)

Will go GNOME unless a compelling reason otherwise.

So my ~/.xinitrc file looks like

xrdb -m ~/.Xresources
xrdb -m ~/terminal_themes/lucius.Xresources

It only loads the first one though. Despite the fact I can literally copy and paste the 2nd line into my terminal to apply my theme colours and it works fine..
Is cygwin/X being a dick. I can't test this on Linux because I'm on shitty Wayland at home.

it's by dev for devs really so the opinion of the users have no weigh really, it's not a product someone is trying to sell to you, if it works for you use it
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#User_centrality

afaik it's a Sup Forums thing, have seen a few anons hate on it for whatever reason

>Created attachment 1283571 [details]
click either one

ubuntu
gnome may not work well if you have nvidia
try LTS and 1710 to see if it works ok on your computer, you could even try the upcoming lts 1804 for more up to date software but test first - install later

Bought an iphone 6 for developing on it, but want to jailbreak it to be able to control it from my computer for example, its running 11.2.5, googling seems to give only scammy shit, is there a clean way right now to jailbreak it and install cydia? I found this for example for cydia: cydiaios7.com/cydia-ios-11-2-5.html is that going to create mustard gas?

>click either one
If it was that simple I wouldn't have asked.

Clicking them just goes to that link, no download is started.

Bought this laptop to play some games while I travel but it throttles so fucking hard on battery literally nothing runs well. How do I fix this? I tried setting up a high performance power plan and it hardly helped.

>ffmpeg -i yt-video -ss 20 -c copy output-yt-video
I'm guessing that trims the first 20 seconds of the video.
How can I remove the last 20?
Can I use a better precision, like 20.43?

My GPU fans start up and turn off continuously at around 45-50 degrees causing a "scratching" sound and I assume it's also hard on the fans to be doing that.
The only solution has been to set a custom curve in afterburner, but I have users on the PC who I can't give root access (which afterburner requires) for security reasons.
Is there any other solution? Manufacturer says this is a non issue as the fans automatically stop at under 45 degrees.

still haven't figured out what's wrong

It's throttling because the battery can't supply the necessary current to power the GPU/CPU under full load. Even if it could, doing so would quickly kill the battery's lifespan.

Plug it in.

>It's throttling because the battery can't supply the necessary current to power the GPU/CPU under full load.
im not doing anything that resource intensive, im playing a game even my 5 year old shitbook could run at 60fps

copy ' view ' or ' download it ' url
wget url

yes you can
ffmpeg -i yt-vid -t full_time_minus_20.5 -c copy out-yt-vid
linux.die.net/man/1/ffmpeg
trac.ffmpeg.org/

Okay, i just didn't see any discussion about arch, and what i saw was just memes. I use arch a month already and it works a lot better than win7.

>copy ' view ' or ' download it ' url
>wget url
403 Forbidden

>gnome may not work well if you have nvidia

Radeon. I'm on Fedora GNOME atm, it's great. Just Fedora causing issues.

>yes you can
Sweet.

Last questions:
Can I speed up videos by 10%?
Can I do the trimming (beginning and end) and the speed up in the same line?

Computer won't work, I only have 1 boot priority and doesn't do anything if its selected. Help!

I'm surprised you can even use youtube-dl if you're this incapable of the most basic fucking googling.

true, well ' select all ' copy and paste to you editor

trim yes
speed only if you don't use -c copy
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/How to speed up / slow down a video

ddg.gg
site:trac.ffmpeg.org speed slow

should be fine

my recent experience
>lubuntu 1710
bad
>debian
same