/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6CbNA2uP054
youtube.com/watch?v=1NcGiclgxPc
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0DvfDSDvM
my.mixtape.moe/cxqqoc.mp3
amazon.com/HIDEit-Uni-H-Mount-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B071NLXNY2/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017108&sr=8-62&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Stick-on-Headphone-Hooks-2-Pack/dp/B00P9GYUE2/ref=sr_1_70?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017108&sr=8-70&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Vizcaya-Headphone-Tambourine-Microphone-Musical/dp/B01GMJOE86/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1519016989&sr=8-46&keywords=headphones holder
amazon.com/Shineme-Stainless-Bathroom-Organizer-large-2pcs/dp/B01F3ISBZY/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017512&sr=8-20&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Geekria-Foldable-Headphones-Wallmount-Protective/dp/B078VMFQ46/ref=sr_1_184?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017583&sr=8-184&keywords=wall+hanger&th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post setups (especially if you engage in thread long autistic spergfests about driver matching and assorted hyperautistic issues)

Reminder: This is the best amplifier for STAX headphones. It costs $6000 (Six-thousand dollars).

that's insane

Are there any Stax amp kits that you can build yourself for a good price? Sorta like the Bottlehead Crack

Yeah, the one in the pic. Despite what NHA says, it's a decent design.

STAX have matched drivers to audio euphoria
or so I've heard
because they won't
ship it
before may
much cheaper if you build it and look out extensively for some of the parts yourself
I also don't think anyone here ever adviced anything but the absolute cheapest working amplifiers

>much cheaper if you build it
The guy charges $130 just for the PCB. Just those PCBs.

It costs $6,000 and you still have to build it yourself???

It only costs $6000 for the prebuilt.

Oh. I wonder if there's any money to be made building and reselling the kits, then.

Probably. Maybe you could donate some of your profits to NHA so he can finally afford some headphones.

hyperautistic issues

Nice best sounding headphones in the world, user. Nice Audio Technicas, too.

You'll have bad transformer whine. Think even that $6000 prebuilt has that issue.

How would you know? You don't own headphones after all!

What does it take to stop autism? A bullet.

Jesus christ.

Why does everyone here seem to hate headphones? I don't understand.

I love headphones and people who own them. I hate idiots who don't own headphones and shit up threads.

I really love my headphones, how about yours?

This general has been ruined by a literal couple of anti 600+schiit weirdos.

It used to be mildly decent and friendly here. Get ready for the responses, and pay attention in the future.

I love my headphones, thank you! But everyone seems to hate that particular model...

I love HD600s. Other headphones comparatively suck, though.

Hey, we all love something here right? So let's post some setups!

Not user, but i'll start it off :^)

Do you own headphones?

Speakers > headphones, as I always say

So what's everyone listening to (and with what)?

youtube.com/watch?v=6CbNA2uP054

Also, are the HD600 or 650s a good upgrade from the 598s?

But you don't own speakers either. No, that speakerlet does not count.

Ah, but that's the flattest speaker on the market! I can tell by ear

Stop being a pussy and post your real setup.

Ok, ok... But right after the anons from do so. I'm very shy

Didn't they teach you not to be a fucktard at McGill U?

Listening to DIIV on my 558s.
600s are better, but not night and day - they have more clarity and better separation but don't sound vastly different (558vs600, haven't heard 598)

decent upgrade if you already like the HD598. I only really found them much better than my previous HD558 once I EQ'd (owned both HD600 and HD6XX)
currently listening to youtube.com/watch?v=1NcGiclgxPc on this setup

>Ask about a specific pair of headphones
>LOL JUST BUY HD600s! And pair them with schiit too!
You are the one who ruined these threads.

Fine... fine... Here's my setup. I'm a very poor user. Please no bully

Where are feet?

[Bully]

Accurate. He should realize by now that people are going to get sick of his shit eventually.

Best place to buy a pair of HD800s? Amazon?

ebay, used

I don't buy used headphones. Also damn that replay time was fast, user.

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

hehe i get to say Shit

Of all headphone brands I tried, Philips is really good. If I ever want an opened can I might consider this.

>not buying used HD800
I'm sorry you are autistic. you can get them for $450-700 used. so sad.

Is it even possible to end up with a bargain when bidding? The direct sales are always overpriced.

HD600 - ODAC/O2

youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0DvfDSDvM

Comfy asf song

Yes. I just got 2 6N6P tubes for $15 shipped. Breddy gud

my.mixtape.moe/cxqqoc.mp3

HD650 with my EQ

>he listens to mp3
The absolute state of HD650 and chinkshit owners.

I'm not going to buy the album when there's only a couple songs on it that I like

>he doesn't support the music industry
The absolute state of HD650 and chinkshit owners.

>not using wooden risers
Here’s my setup. I got mount my monitors unfortunately only one has the holes for mounting. I rigged something up for the monitor. It might not be the best looking solution but at least I have more desk space now.

I'm buying a beyerdynamic t90 to serve as my brightfag headphone. $250 and they're significantly better than the dt1990(not saying much). That upper midrange turns me on.
Should I hate it I'll sell it and buy an akg k612 instead.
Are there any other, superior, brightfag headphones? I was thinking maybe the t1 but it measures almost exactly like a t90.

stax 009

I didnt like the l300. The ethereal sound people talk about just sounds wrong to me. Looking at their measurements I just chock it up to their messy decay. So I guess I should have said dynamic/ortho only
Good rec though I'll keep it in mind

Where do you guys reccomend getting high quality or lossless quality albums?

Is it worth it to torrent, or do you guys actually rip the songs off the physical CD?

Stax-anons, how does the SR-303 stack up compared to like the L300 ? I've been thinking about buying one used.

Think just about every song out there is converted from MP3.

It's better desu

whats the point of spending 1000 dollars+ on gear to listen to MP3's?

Flacs and good mp3s sound the same so. CD quality is mp3...

Only other formats I ever see are AAC and WMA.

I torrent/google. I buy the albums of the artists i enjoy the most.

which stax should i buy, L300 80th anniversary or L500?

My headphones broke last night so i make shift fixed them. Any recommendations for new ones? they arent as comfortable as they where so im looking to upgrade.

L500 is the L300 with different pads, so don't get it.
Either go for the L300Ltd or wait and buy the SR-007.

What is glue

You'll find that higher end headphones tend to be made from high quality plastic that won't break.

That is a relief , I hope i can find pair that can compete with those Logitech's

Got em

>Logitech
>headphones
Seriously?

if you're looking for "PC Headphones" just get the beyerdynamic Custom game, it's built like a tank and actually sounds really good

>compete with those Logitech's
It's probably hard to find anything worse than logitech.

>anything worse than logitech
Razer?

>anything worse than logitech
Schiit.

i just spotify for single tracks and for albums I buy flac from artists that put out good albums

RuTracker is shitty compared to most other trackers but it's easy to get into and still has some good stuff here and there.

If your budget allows, get Sennheiser HD600.
Otherwise, look at Phillips SHP9500S or Sennheiser HD558, HD559.

>HD559
Doesn't include a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter for those who don't know

And it comes with 6.3mm cable? wtf sennheiser, that's distasteful. Don't do that to budget people who get an entry model.

Anybody have any recs for headphone holders that can clamp on to a vertical surface and has enough space to fit a really large headband? looking for something for the LCD2C.

No fucking idea, but I'd also love to know.

Some user last thread posted about the K&M holders and they looked pretty good but I didn't want to spend more than $30 on them.

amazon.com/HIDEit-Uni-H-Mount-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B071NLXNY2/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017108&sr=8-62&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Stick-on-Headphone-Hooks-2-Pack/dp/B00P9GYUE2/ref=sr_1_70?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017108&sr=8-70&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Vizcaya-Headphone-Tambourine-Microphone-Musical/dp/B01GMJOE86/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1519016989&sr=8-46&keywords=headphones holder

Trusting my headphones in the hands of some shit 3m tape.

Post setup

amazon.com/Shineme-Stainless-Bathroom-Organizer-large-2pcs/dp/B01F3ISBZY/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017512&sr=8-20&keywords=wall hanger
amazon.com/Geekria-Foldable-Headphones-Wallmount-Protective/dp/B078VMFQ46/ref=sr_1_184?ie=UTF8&qid=1519017583&sr=8-184&keywords=wall+hanger&th=1

Happy now?

Working on getting a new desk. Debating on making it my self or buying some IKEA shit

Ew, you kept the m1060. I tried all the mods but returned them because of how fucking bad the glare is in the upper mids. I suggest you resell them and buy a he500 or hd650+kiss mod(gotta get that driver matching).
Which amp is that? I'm trying to pick one to go with the esteemed topping d30 and was thinking about the ifi ican se to go with it.

Nice spyderco, what model is it?

Any recommendations for a mic'd headset? Looks like the /csg/ infographic only had wireless stuff.

Some info per the op:
Budget

The amp is a cheap smsl sapII pro with the buffer replaced with a LME48960, planning to bypass some of the resistors to lower the output impedance

Spyderco Harpy.

Logitech G430

razer megalodan. much better than the hd600. doesn't have a rollercoaster treble response and limp dick bass. not as dangerous either because the amp on the hd600 needs an amp which means you can blow a driver with too much power and cause permanent ear damage

I got them because they were on sale for $250, plus I'm using the paper towel mod and fuzzer mod

good post