Itt: rate Radiohead's discography and talk about each album and how it serves to solidify them as a...

itt: rate Radiohead's discography and talk about each album and how it serves to solidify them as a.) an overrated pop rock band or b.) influential work of body

ill start

>Pablo Honey
5.5/10. Tbqh, Blow Out and Creep are excellent songs. And Stop Whispering isn't too bad either.
>The Bends
6/10
A slight improvement on Pablo Honey, radiohead crafts their own sound outside of the grunge scene. Good guitar driven music. Also a few surprises here, mainly Street Spirit

>OK Computer
7/10
Definitely the record that changed Radiohead, into Radiohead. An amazing record with the first half really shining and the second half kinda of lacking in what we heard in the first 25 minutes. Karma Police and Paranoid Android are amazing.

>Kid A
7/10
Radiohead experiment more outside of guitar driven music. It's a really good record with some amazing moments like Idioteque and Morning Bell.

>Amnesiac
8/10
Their magnum opus. What Kid A tried to be. Radiohead weren't too sure on themselves what Kid A was, but on Amnesiac they perfected their Robert Wyatt trade

>Hail to Thief
6/10
After the mediocre responses to Amnesiac, radiohead played it safe and returned to OK Computer days type of rock mixed in with some of Kid A left over ideas. There are some good songs on here, speaking of which, There There and A Wolf At the Door

>In Rainbows
7/10
OK Computer 2.0 a'la for contemporary adults. It's a pop version of OK Computer and it's a lot more coherent than Hail to the Thief, thus the bump in score (full point, even)

>King of Limbs
6/10
A Solid record once again. Radiohead trying to emulate Autechre without the length and ambition.

>A Moon Shaped Pool
6.5/10, might be 7/10 (still early album)
>Fill in the gap

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b3TDev9j9b8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

it's a free house, jim!

It's a free house, Jim!

>Pablo Honey
6/10
>The Bends
9/10
>OK Computer
7/10
>Kid A
5/10
>Amnesiac
6/10
>Hail to the Thief
4/10
>In Rainbows
7/10
>The King of Limbs
4/10
>A Moon Shaped Pool
5/10

It's a free house, Jim!

it's a meme house, mimbo

>PH
3/10
>The Bends
6/10
>OK Computer
10/10
>Kid A
10/10
>Amnesiac
10/10
>HTTT
7/10
>In Rainbows
8/10
>TKOL
7/10
>AMSP
9/10

It's a free house, Jim!

>using 3/10, especially for a mediocre album
>those inflated ratings
jesus christ, do you have standards?

I believe Radiohead deserve at least one 8 but multiple 10/10's. No artist has multiple 10/10's, go the fuck back to l e d i t

>Pablo Honey
4/10. A couple good songs, but overall painfully mediocre

>The Bends
6/10. Stepped up their game, pretty nice rock record, has potential.

>OK Computer
7/10. Pretty great record, expanding musically, proved they're different from other bands.

>Kid A
10/10.Their best record, people probably they thought they would peak at OKC but then came back with a record that is arguably even better, on top of that it wasn't even a rock record. Also, Motion Picture Soundtrack is probably my favorite song ever.

>Amnesiac
7/10. Interesting, a bit different from Kid A but you can see similarities, underrated.

>Hail To The Thief
5/10. Mediocre, took a few steps back with this record. There There is a great song though.

>In Rainbows
9/10. Came back with a near perfect record which really shows how versatile and consistent these guys are.

>The King of Limbs
6/10. Decent, very different, I sorta see where they wanted to go with this but I don't think they pulled it off entirely.

>A Moon Shaped Pool
6/10. It's okay, I think everyone hyped the shit of this because of the response from TKOL and it's hard to imagine such a consistent band losing it's edge.

Long time fan here

>PH
4/10
>The Bends
7/10
>OK Computer
9/10
>Kid A
10/10
>Amnesiac
8/10
>HTTT
7/10
>In Rainbows
8/10
>TKOL
6/10
>AMSP
8/10

nice dubs and thanks for actually participating in the thread user. I think you should re-listen Amnesiac.

>I think everyone hyped the shit of this because of the response from TKOL and it's hard to imagine such a consistent band losing it's edge.

Yeah, im sure EVERYONE did because of that. Specially after the underwhelming solo album thom yorke.

People is losing his shit with that album because it's pretty good, there is not other reason.

haven't listened to it in a while actually, i'll revisit it soon.
It's a good record and I can see why people would like it but I can't really figure out why everyone was going crazy and calling it one of their best ever, I feel like it's getting a certain treatment because, well, it's Radiohead.

It's a free house, Jim!

PH 4/10.
TB N/A (haven't listened)
OKC 9/10.
Kid A 9.5/10
Amnesiac 9.5/10
HTTT 7/10
IR 6.5/10
TKOL 6.5/10
AMSP 8/10

Overall they're very consistent in quality. Probably the most consistent band today. And the last good "rock" band too. I love that they bring people to more complex music (amnesiac) but still retain that catchy feeling (IR, OKC).

>I feel like it's getting a certain treatment because, well, it's Radiohead.

But people hated Tkol when it came out user...

Maybe it's not your cup of tea, and that's it.

>Pablo Honey
5.5/10 Classic fun rock album. Nothing too amazing but nothing is too bad either.

>The Bends
8/10 While a lot of people disagree with me, I think The Bends is a GREAT rock album. Tons of great songs (Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung). All around solid record.

>OK Computer
7/10 In the time this was released it was fantastic, no one heard something like it before. Doesn't stand up to time IMHO

>Kid A
10/10 Their magnum opus, and in my opinion the best Radiohead album. They invented and perfected their sound in this album.

>Amnesiac
HAVENT LISTENED SORRY

>Hail to the Thief
5/10 Sort of like OKC mixed with a bit of Kid A but shittier.

>In Rainbows
8.5/10 A pleasant return to form. Great songs in this record.

>The King of Limbs
8/10 Underrated Radiohead work imo. Sounds like Radiohead trying to change up their sound a bit than what is done in IR and KA

>A Moon Shaped Pool
6/10 not too impressive imho. i was kind of let down due to all of the hype mu was giving it.

>>Amnesiac
>HAVENT LISTENED SORRY
what makes you think you can post in this thread, then?

i feel like the bad reception that TKOL got is actually part of the reason AMSP was hyped so much. AMSP is a lot more accessible and no one really wants to see a band like Radiohead not making top tier records. I don't know, maybe you're right though and it's just not my thing.

I like the way you talk user, even if we disagree.

I love you

>HAVENT LISTENED SORRY

W E W
E
W

>Pablo Honey
6/10. Their most underrated album. Unjustly looked down upon b/c of what came after, but taken for what it is it's a good 90s alt record. The first half is consistent gold.
>The Bends
8/10. Their early sound built to perfection. Fake Plastic Trees one of their best songs.
>Ok Computer
9/10. The second half drags a little, but the first half is perfect everything comes together as a whole to form a coherent, career defining statement.
>Kid A
7/10. I do enjoy this album, but it just misses the mark a little with me. A little too chilly. And Motion Picture Soundtrack is one of the worst album closers.
>Amnesiac
8/10. A personal favorite of mine. Minor at first, but reveals itself to be quite varied, complex, and comfortingly dark.
>Hail to the Theif
5/10. Has some great moments, but also tends to blur together and drag on a bit. Nice to hear some guitar bite, though
>In Rainbows
10/10. Synthesizes all aspects of their career into a very satisfying and emotional return to form.
>King of Limbs
6/10. Cool ideas, but very slight. Some very beautiful sounds. Admittedly need to listen to it more.
>A Moon Shaped Pool
7/10 Only listened once so far, but intriguing show of quiet confidence. I like the inclusion of acoustic instruments

>Pablo Honey
4.9/10
If you know many smaller garage bands, they sometimes write EPs that only really they themselves hear before they go on to record an official studio release. This sounds like that. It's technically fine, but musically very amateurish.

>The Bends
7.1/10
Radiohead's actual debut. It's full of well-written pop melodies, but it feels very much of a time and place. It's a brit pop album that almost comes across as a slightly higher brow Oasis, except made by better musicians.

>OK Computer
8.7/10
One of the seminal 90s alternative rock album, probably more so than Nevermind. You can hear elements of everything from Pet Sounds to Disintegration; it felt like the culmination of alternative music up to that point. I remember people calling Radiohead the future of rock music after this album.

>Kid A
9.4/10
A landmark not necessarily in its style, but in how bands are expected to progress their sound. There have been plenty of artists who have changed genre mid-career, but to have such a high profile rock band completely eschew guitars in order to make experimental electronic music is completely unheard of. And the fact that they were able to do so and still reach number 1 in the US and sell millions of copies is insane.

>Amnesiac
9.7/10
It continues Kid A's borrowing of non-mainstream acts, but while the major inspiration for that album was IDM, the major inspiration for this one seems to be American jazz. It creates an atmosphere of dread and utter desolation more successfully than any other Radiohead album, and goes further in its experimentation.

>Hail to the Thief
5.7/10
Disappointing wheel-spinning. The album feels like a series of B-sides, and includes some very kitschy tracks such as We Suck Young Blood. Not much to say about it, except that it’s boring.

ily2, user.

I like your analysis of each album and i agree with a few points but come on dood, what's up with
>x.x rating
can't you just do a simple interval of 7.5 for example or a whole number like 7? This isn't fucking pitchfork. Also inflated ratings m8, work on your standards a bit overall review, 6/10.

>In Rainbows
10/10
My personal favorite Radiohead album. It takes the experimental electronic elements of Kid A, the interesting rhythmic elements of Amnesiac, and filters it through the alternative rock sound of OK Computer. Feels like the culmination of their musical experience up to that point. A perfect album in my eyes.

>The King of Limbs
8/10
Dark, rhythmically interesting, and electronic. Radiohead borrows from many of the modern IDM composers like Flying Lotus to create something that uses repetition as a counterpoint to the vocal melodies. Works well for me, but not for most people.

>A Moon Shaped Pool
9.3/10
A devastatingly sad album. Feels to In Rainbows what Amnesiac felt to Kid A: It includes many of the same type of atmospheric, yet melodic ballads (see House of Cards), but filters them through a level of misery that’s almost unbearable at times. It doesn’t feel maudlin, like many Antlers albums do, but if the melodies weren’t so pretty this would almost be unlistenably sad. That being said, it’s the most musically mature Radiohead has ever been, and the most deliberate.

It's a free house, Jim!

why does Sup Forums like Radiohead so much
they're just ok, nothing about them really stands out

*star ratings

>Pablo Honey
Creep is unironically a good song. Blow Out is too. Everything else is passable, decent grungey rock

>The Bends
Very good album, My Iron Lung and Street Spirit are fantastic. Ultimately however it is generic rock not unlike that made by dozens of bands in the period. A nice listen, but not much to return to.

>OK Computer
What can be said about it? An extraordinarily well-made rock album.

>Kid A
Much more interesting than OK Computer. A very daring move for such a popular band. Lots of rock musicians at the time were probably listening to Aphex Twin and Autechre, but Thom Yorke was the only one who channeled it into his music. A forward-thinking album, signaling the fact that rock was on its way out

>Amnesiac
Better songs than Kid A, but a worse album. Sorry, but it's a compilation of leftovers with some very weak spots. However it does contain some brilliant songs: the first three and the final two.

>Hail to the Thief
Similarly to Amnesiac, great songs but only a good album. The tracklisting is shit and hurts the album. A slight return to the more straightforward rock tunes of days past.

>In Rainbows
I will admit I'm personally biased towards this one. Radiohead's first happy album. Similar to AMSP, it is very accessible but I find it extremely enjoyable. One of their most cohesive albums, up there with Kid A but just below TKOL. Reckoner and Weird Fishes are sublime songs.

>The King Of Limbs
The one I listen to most nowadays. Radiohead decided to do something interesting again, to try something new. So they decided to stop focusing on melody for good and instead build dense polyrhythms and complex, layered textures. The more you listen to this one the more it hypnotizes you. It's an incredibly tight and cohesive 37 minutes with 8 distinct tracks that somehow meld more and more into each other upon repeated listens. Easily their most cohesive album.

>>In Rainbows
>10/10
jesus christ. have you listened to nude and house of cards recently?

Nude is great fammo

I give this review of my review a 5.4/10. Not snarky enough to be amusing, yet not substantive enough to be interesting. You do get points for not being a complete mong, but overall it's a mediocre reply.

>nude
>house of cards
>bad

>inflated
It's lower than each album's pitchfork score

because radiohead is probably the first gateway band into music for those who develop an interest in it. They're big enough a band that most people can find out on their own at first and they're accessible enough that their diverse palette of sound is not alienating and thus introduces you to their sleeves of influence: see, Can, Robert Wyatt, Autechre, to name a few of the not as accessible influence (obviously the Pixies, The Smiths and Beatles but they're hardly obscure nor are they hard to get into)

>haven't listened to amnesiac

c'mon f a m, its a great record

There it is. The popular therefore uninteresting fallacy

I would give it a 10.1 if I could, and precisely because of songs like Nude.

oh that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the nice answer.
I just feel that there's several bands much more deserving of the amount of praise that Radiohead gets around these parts, but then again I'm a drone/noise-fag so my opinion on music shouldn't be taken too seriously

Your aggregated score: 8.1/10
p4k aggregated score: 8.0/10

your score is actually higher, pal.

Well, to be fair a lot of pop music tends to be extremely bland.
Nice dubs tho

>he actually did the math
And the aggregate score for the post you replied to is a 7.6, while the aggregate score for those albums on pitchfork is a fucking 9.

It's a free house, Jim!

>p4k aggregated score: 8.0/10
Check your math kid. Pitchfork gave a 10 to OK Computer, a 10 to The Bends, a 10 to Kid A, a 9.3 to In Rainbows, a 9.3 to Hail to the Thief, a 9.1 to A Moon shaped Pool, a 9 to Amnesiac, a 7.9 to The King of Limbs, and a 5.4 to Pablo Honey. That doesn't average out to an 8.

Nah, are you sure your math adds up, user?

P4K score for Radiohead
Pablo Honey: 5.4/10
The Bends: 10/10
OKC: 10/10
Kid A: 10/10
Amnesiac: 9/10
Hail to the Thief: 9.3/10
In Rainbows: 9.3/10
The King of Limbs: 7.9/10
A Moon Shaped Pool: 9.1/10

shit, nvm I got an 8.8 from them lol. Last time I did the math, I divided by 10, not 9. Shiz.

and I did the math right here it's an 8.08 but I rounded up to an 8.1. Yea, so I was wrong. My bad.

>Pablo Honey
4/10
>The Bends
5/10
>OK Computer
7/10
>Kid A
8/10
>Amnesiac
7/10
>Hail To the Thief
6/10
>In Rainbows
10/10
>King of Limbs
5/10
>A Moon Shaped Pool
8/10

>Creep
It's a free house, Jim!

"It's a free house, Jim!"

>Pablo Honey
3/10
>The Bends
6/10
>OK Computer
8/10
>Kid A
10/10
>Amnesiac
9/10
>Hail To the Thief
10/10
>In Rainbows
7/10
>King of Limbs
9/10
>A Moon Shaped Pool
9/10

It's a free house, Jim!

PH: 4/10 Never really understood the appeal of this album comparing it with other classics from the 90's

The Bends: 7/10 A huge step-up, like PH but really good. Street Spirit is maybe the best closer an album can had.

OK Computer: 9/10 A classic, awesome songs, Fitter Happier puts the real tone of the album, but i feel like No Surprises doesn't fit well, personally i dislike that song.

Kid A: 10/10 Their best album, groundbreaking, cohesive, you just can't listen songs of it, you need to listen the whole thing to really immerse in it's cold deppresive atmosphere

Amnesiac: 9/10 Leftovers of Kid A but it feels cohesive too, but sometimes is too bleak and hopeless imo (not a bad thing, but i need to be "in the mood"), Mourning Bell is superior here.

HTTT: 8/10 Really underrated, not very cohesive but with killer songs and some of the most dark and depressive tracks.

In Rainbows: 10/10 Perfection, absolute perfect. Their most "bittersweet" album.

TKOL: 6/10 I think they tried to go full electronic here but in my appreciation it's too disjointed and clustered as a whole. Really hard to digest.

AMSP: 9/10 Awesome comeback, their most subtle and intimate album, and the saddest album they've put. But i miss some of the surprise factor and angular sounds that's present on their other albums.

AMSP: 9/10. Lovely depressing music, gets better every listen. Layered yet quiet.
its my first radiohead album lol

>Pablo Honey
5/10

>The Bends
5/10

>OK Computer
3/10

>Kid A
0.5/10

>Amnesiac
0/10

>Hail to Thief
0/10

>In Rainbows
0/10

>King of Limbs
0/10

>A Moon Shaped Pool
are they still making records/10

(You)
;)

It's a free house, Jim!

It's a free house, Jim!

These "memes" need to stop. They're not funny. All they do is shit up threads

I agree, and all the ones about dying and such give me terrible anxiety unless I respond. It's not nice.

>seriously listening to noise/drone

wow yeah i definitely don't take your opinion seriously that's correct

>5 point scale

there's literally no reason. nobody wants to see decimal places anyway

nice reading comprehension

well that's not very nice now is it
good drone can be a truly transcendental experience
youtube.com/watch?v=b3TDev9j9b8

no surprises fits perfectly. how can you possibly dislike it? it has the melancholy atmosphere with the beach boys inspired instrumentation and melody. it perfectly reflects the subject matter with the imagery of suburban life and monotony

i seriously don't really understand what you get from this. maybe if i was really high or something, idk. it's like a more boring, worse form of post rock. like godspeed without what makes them great

I find it kinda hard to explain to be honest, but I just really like the way they develop a single idea so incredibly slowly, and also because it sounds "huge", like it could overwhelm you at any second.

>like godspeed without what makes them great
really funny that you say that, I actually think good drone manages to take what fundamentally makes bands like GYBE interesting and takes it to the extreme

>I can't extrapolate

The Bends - 6.5
OK Computer - 6
Kid A - 7.5
Amnesiac - 8
Hail to the Thief - 8.5
In Rainbows - 8
The King of Limbs - 7
A Moon Shaped Pool - 8

Pretty good band. Not an incredible band, but a consistently very good band, which may in itself be incredible.

House of Cards is the best track, you fucking simpleton. I swear to god this board and its total inability to appreciate decent atmosphere, fuck

Pablo Honey - While I haven't given it a full listen the songs I've heard aren't bad, but nothing I'd go crazy about

The Bends 6/10 album. Street Spirit is the highlight of the album for me, but there's plenty of decent songs in here.

OK Computer 8/10 Perfecting the style of The Bends and having tons of great songs.

Kid A 10/10 Each time I sit down and listen to Kid A it's a great experience. One of my all time favorite albums.

Amnesiac 8/10 A good follow up to Kid A. Lots of great tracks on here, but doesn't have the same impact Kid A had.

Hail to the Thief 6/10 Not my favorite album by them. Only a few tracks on here stand out. Haven't given it a full listen in some time, but I never feel motivated to unlike most of their other work.

In Rainbows 9.5/10 With a super close 2nd place ranking among their discography, In Rainbows has memorable track after memorable track. So many moments in this album give me chills every listen.

The King of Limbs 7/10 Not my favorite, but not bad by any means. Handful of standout tracks, but nothing felt boring to listen to.

A Moon Shaped Pool 8/10 Don't really have a final opinion on this album as I've only given one focused listen, but I like what I hear a lot. It's not something I'd listen to very often due to the depressing tone throughout the album, but I loved the experience. I can see it growing on me more, but we'll have to see for that.

great response user, i actually might give drone another chance. although i maintain that i dislike it now

I'd recommend something like Noveller or Tim Hecker for getting into drone. Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze are also good choices

agree with this except that OKC is another 10 for me and the bends is an 8

you

>xkcd
Holy shit I bet you read reddit too

>read reddit