youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRbp1YOCBc&feature=youtu.be&t=1899
youtube.com/watch?v=ynhdxHOrPm4
soundcloud.com/spookypianostuff/nocturne
lilypond.org/introduction.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EkmkH-nhA3E
youtube.com/watch?v=4ib1eSZmaR4
youtube.com/watch?v=yLGS4nJy070
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

someone recommend me something haunting and beautiful like maurice ravel, claude debussy, or eric satie, please.

>favorite conductor edition
Basically every /classical/ thread desu

Can anyone help me find a solo Romantic piano piece that I heard awhile back? It starts off somewhat similar to Chopin's Prelude in E minor with repeating chords that descend chromatically (except in a major key) and gradually grows into this beautiful grandiose and virtuosic climax before dying back down again. Around 3-5 minutes in length. I tried combing through Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, and Poulenc but I very well could've missed it.

The Count of Conza himself

I like Steve Reich a lot. Schoenberg's string quartets are great too

bump

do you really think composers and conductors are the same thing?

Misread the thread.
Nice.

It's late here. Gimme a break

i only know him for his Mahler cycle which is generally very good. are there other performances that show his conducting abilities? any other cycles? i heard his Bruckner 8th is good

youtube.com/watch?v=_9RT2nHD6CQ -> youtube.com/watch?v=ZkjGdG9JnnI
I see what he did there...

He has a pretty good Parsifal, and he has a ton of recordings of Dvořák which are from what I've heard so far pretty good.
I've heard good things about his recording of Haydn's Creation too.

Bump
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/

posting random obscure/unlistenable shit
youtube.com/watch?v=JZFpNw7Q0js
youtube.com/watch?v=TX-LI2bUB28
youtube.com/watch?v=KugkO7d2Nns
youtube.com/watch?v=xFOUBHJp3Ms
youtube.com/watch?v=icuwM5zoASg
youtube.com/watch?v=JUwfVz5tqEo
youtube.com/watch?v=9o36gpa6qXc

>Ferneyhough and Xenakis
>obscure

to the unaware they are pretty out there, they're memed enough here to where they have more of a reputation

youtube.com/watch?v=8as_BN5h5YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HHQfid7zecE

to be fair I've never seen any of those links posted on /classical/ and I've been here for a couple of years

Steve Reich conducted his own ensemble, you dip.

>that last one
Wow, actually surprisingly engaging. Had to sit through almost 7 minutes of it not going anywhere, though.

How do I get into listening to classical music? Are there albums, or what? Like if I want to listen to the piano pieces of Mozart, or Bach, for example, who do I go to to listen to that?

you actually just buy sheet music and take a picture then have audacity translate it into music to listen to. that is, if you're a pleb. most classical fans actually purchase studio time (and of course are proficient in most instruments) and make their own home audio recordings of their favorite pieces then distribute them through private google drives. /classical/ is thus completely at a loss to make an extensive essentials list that could get posted every single thread with links to things in full FLAC and perfect tags with artwork, because we actually spend most of the time dick measuring until we're comfortable using Sup Forums Gold PM to exchange google drive credentials.

Glenn Gould, of course.

rutracker is good. youtube is passable. Seeing things live is best, provided its a quality ensemble

rbt.asia/mu/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=fuck off poly

>chamber recording of a keyboard work
>"essential Bach"

put your trip back on poly

I'm currently on CD 53 of a 100 CD, 15 GB collection of Beethoven's Complete Works. This and similar collections are all on rutracker.

C
L
O
WITHOUT
N

JEST

just about everything except his Beethoven is worth hearing.

has anything been added to these in general lately?

Try posting constructively next time

Anyone know where I can download a large, diverse and well tagged collection of albums by various composers? I downloaded everything in the mega folders, I downloaded a large "collector's edition" collection of albums from someone on soulseek, I downloaded just about every top 100 album and far beyond that from the rateyourmusic list (though I suspect that's not a great introduction into classical music).

>"collector's edition" collection
the gramophone collection to be exact, which is about 107 albums.

Try not being Poly, next time.

Bump

music for 18 musicians is such fucking garbage. why is it rated highest on rateyourmusic?

It's accessible for pop music fans

>ravel
Have you listened to his Daphnis et Chloé?

>/classical/ is too cool for bernstein

This is why these threads always devolved into endless nitpicking and attempts to out obscure each other.

So which minimalist pieces do you enjoy?

>your favorite conductor
I'm not even really a choral music fan, but Robert Shaw's recording, especially pic related, are just fucking great.

>rated highest
Highest of what? Steve Reich's music? I personally prefer Proverb to Music for 18 Musicians. There's no way it is the highest rated Classical piece.

Whoever this majestic fucker is.

youtube.com/watch?v=yeyDfVjq6sw

I'm watching this documentary about conductors right now. My favorites are, herbert von karajan, also, otto klemper (he's so fucking funny. It's amazing that he's so dead serious. He's also sorta badass), sir thomas beechman (he's just fucking hilarious),

I'm only like half way through the documentary right now, I've been watching it on and off for the past couple days. Thomas Beechman may just be my favorite though, just listen to him talk. He was a true character.

None of those conductors on that list is obscure at all.

And some people do obviously like Bernstein here because there is always one or two people protesting to others not liking him.

There is an entire book of Beecham quips.

>The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes.
>Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away.
>All the arts in America are a gigantic racket run by unscrupulous men for unhealthy women.
>There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between.
>The trouble with women in an orchestra is that if they're attractive it will upset my players and if they're not it will upset me.
>The sound of a harpsichord - two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm.

>There is an entire book of Beecham quips.
good lord lmao those quotes

Evil Nigger

bump

Try Aleksandr Skryabin.

Great piano composer.

Sonatas and preludes are excellent.

John Eliot Gardiner

Who cares about conductors? They are hacks
Let's talk about some actually talented people like Hans Zimmer

Ok
You start

>talented people
>like Hans Zimmer

Greatest romantic piece of all time?

I will always love you by Whiteney Huehueston XDD

i know its meme as fuck, but glenn gould's goldberg variations (1981) is just pure gold.

>John Eliot Gardiner
YES.
His st matthew passion is easy to listen.
I am not a pro in JS BACH, but his bach is quite beautiful for me.

that has my favorite recording of mspc.

karajan, reiner, kubelik, v.beinum, bohm.

Wilhelm Furtwangler.

So can someone explain why Gould plays this piece so exquisitely?

youtube.com/watch?v=ha5hYKNfFN8

It's so melodic and so lyrical, coupled with his usual habit of full-bodied bass and strong phrasing in general; I think this is a perfect interpretation.

Compare to this clown's wallowing. His touch is so puny it almost makes the piano sound like a guitar. Absolutely disgusting.

youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRbp1YOCBc&feature=youtu.be&t=1899

Also, more Bach for people who don't like Bach?

gould was a romantic.

New top 5 favorite composer: Galina Oestvolskaja

Wow

So intense.

youtube.com/watch?v=ynhdxHOrPm4

>female composer
off yourself m8

>There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between.
I didn't know my old youth orchestra conductor was Beecham. (Funnily enough his last name is Needham)

What are the best meme instruments?

I elect this baby, the ol' demented oboe

Not him but,
What's wrong with female composers? Some of them are actually pretty good

(and they also can be used to tell feminists to fuck off with their old white men shit.)

I do hate it when a female composer's trumped up on say international women's day, it's incredibly patronizing.

nothing is wrong with female composers
other user is retarded

If this is top 5 material for you, you haven't listened to very much.

My top 5:
Mozart
Beethoven
Bach
Schubert
Brahms

u wot m8

What do I name a piece about a minute and a half long, for a beginner violinist at Suzuki book 1? Should I just go with Andante or something?

Nothing wrong with clusters but I don't see the point of making a piece solely out of clusters just for the sake of making a piece solely out of clusters. You're relegating yourself to a meme position at one end of the formalist stick, with triadfags at the other.

Things should only be used as integrated and integral parts of a great overarching idea. Clusters, triads, meme chords, all of these should be means rather than ends.

For example, here's a piece I made with clusters in it but only incidentally:

soundcloud.com/spookypianostuff/nocturne

Lots of clusters, yeah, but she's doing a little more than "meme clusters" as you're saying. She's also a badass.

>Ustvolskaya developed her own very particular style, of which she said, "There is no link whatsoever between my music and that of any other composer, living or dead." Among its characteristics are: the use of repeated, homophonic blocks of sound, which prompted the Dutch critic Elmer Schönberger to call her "the woman with the hammer"; unusual combinations of instruments (such as eight double basses, piano and percussion in her Composition No. 2); considerable use of extreme dynamics (as in her Piano Sonata No. 6); employing groups of instruments in order to introduce tone clusters; and the use of piano or percussion to beat out regular unchanging rhythms (all of her acknowledged works use either piano or percussion, many use both).

Hey guys is there a solid computer program which would let me compose on "digital paper" and could play back the result with acceptable instrument timbre?

Cubase (5).

I made this using a standard vst (Mono Upright in the piano section).

lilypond.org/introduction.html
I hope you have a favourite text editor.

Not quite what I'm looking for
Looks pretty good
But can you listen to what you wrote with this software?

conductor chart
>toscanini, abbado and karajan in
>no Victor De Sabata and Celibidache
/classical/ confirms his illiteracy

the Saxophone

>celibidache

lmao !!

nazi piece of shit

No user thats a jew

literally a fucking meme

sibelius

pre munich celibidache is pretty good though. it was before he went glacial.

he's best known for his ridiculously slow tempos though. he is one of the few conductors i truly consider to be a meme. laughable.

>not sneaking Cobra in there for shits and giggles

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

>"""slow""" = bad
i'm sorry the only meme around here is you

RIDICULOUSLY slow. learn to fucking read.

Is anybody actually playing any instrument there?

where?

So I've selected the very best of my piano pieces I've been writing for years and it came out to be more than 4 hours of music, too much for one release. But how much would be appropiate? Is 200 or 180 minutes of music still too much for one album?

youtube.com/watch?v=EkmkH-nhA3E

The golden cockerel - my favourite opera, loved it as a teen. Rimsky-Korsakow's most interesting work imo and definitely worth the 2 hours if you like impressionism.

And it has incredible beatiful arias:
youtube.com/watch?v=4ib1eSZmaR4

>implying this is excusable
youtube.com/watch?v=yLGS4nJy070
Though to be fair to Celi I haven't heard anything from his pre-Munich days.

/classical/'s favorite piano concertos?