What is the best way to start learning programming?

What is the best way to start learning programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
doc.rust-lang.org/book/second-edition/
pastebin.com/dP1UT4mV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you dont

to start programming

yeah but how do I learn the shit required to start programming.

you start programming

But i don't know how to program anything, so how am I meant to program something?

look up tutorials on youtube you dumbfuck

there's no best way but online courses are pretty good, get into lynda, skillshare or udemy etc, also cs50 on youtube

by posting on Sup Forums

congrats m8 you're halfway there

By r/getdisciplined

what do you want to make

Download an MSX or C64 emulator and learn basic.

Unironically read K&R.

>pol frogposter is also a ledditor
who would've thought

Link to pdf?

codepen.io

not even joking

make a shitty app for Android or iOS.

thenewboston
:^)

based frogposting friend
asks the hard hitting questions
fighting the good fight

1. You have to find a reason. Either an interesting problem or some kind of app that may offer some convenience to yourself.
2. Despair, because you have no clue about programming languages whatsoever, which means that you have no starting point and are completely lost.
3. Download and install python. Do some of the coding tutorials.
4. Improve your skills until you manage to implement a crude and ugly version of your app.

It's in the Sup Forums wiki.

>comparing the number of redditors on 4chin in 2012 to current year
wew lad

Don't learn programming

Study a language
Study history
Study mathematics
Study chemistry
Study biology
Study anything

Do not to down the path of programming or IT or CS
Miserable existence, not worth it

By learning how to google first

t. Skilless McDonald's employee

You need to first cut off your penis.

>programming tutorials
>on youtube
I wonder what possesses creatures like you to mislead people like that.

install gentoo

Look up for tutorials online. If you want to go for paid online courses , there are many paid courses over udemy, treehouse, udacity and so on and free tutorials on edX, youtube, codeacademy. You can find most of the paid udemy courses and some of the courses from lynda, treehouse, udacity on torrent. Start with python. It is very easy to learn and program. There are so many videos and articles online, dont act like a fool over here asking these shitty questions you dumbfuck

What's going on here?

I started with codeacademy's python interactive tutorial. Combine that with project euler for interesting problems

This person's suggestion is good. Obtain K&R from here: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

You may also benefit from learning BBC BASIC if you have a raspberry pi. Install RISC OS on your raspberry pi, and it comes with a really good PDF tutorial book called "first steps in programming RISC OS conputers". It'll be in the documents folder.

>1970+48
>learning to program

Why? You'll be replaced by the singularity in 2 years.

i didn't know black holes could program

You can literally find it just by googling "the C programming language pdf".

sure if you want to program like a grandpa

Python 3 version of Think Like a Computer Scientist. Learn general programming concepts from books/tutorials. For language specific shit, dive into documentation. Python has good docs.

If you're employed, and that's a big if, in an office, do some projects relevant to your work. I started with visual basic, which is really the only way I can help myself and colleagues in my situation, and moved onto R while dabbling in a couple other languages.

PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
END

apt-get install build-essentials

open text editor

copy + paste some C code that you found with some googling

compile it

congrats now make your own program

Read Automate The Boring Stuff with Python, I think that's a great book to get started cuz you actually learn useful shit while learning the language. The book is free online too.

Got to start somewhere. A verbal explanation is often a lot better than a written explanation.

>being this retarded

Not when it comes to fucking code you can't reference back and forth on some video, for fuck's sake. Youtube is a cancer for obese gamers who don't even play video games.

Not that user, and trust me I think youtube tutorials are pretty watered down, but if I don't understand something I can usually find a decent explanation of it in video form. Helped me with advanced pointers in C

You need to learn how to use Microsoft Access, then build an ActiveX plugin with VB6. A bit of VB script will nicely round out your initial skills.

doc.rust-lang.org/book/second-edition/
Just follow the book or find an equivalent book for JavaScript/angular, C, Java, Kotlin, C#, Swift, C+-, Fortran, Cobol or Brainfuck.

Search for and tutorial.
Get a minimal working example up and running.
Get a book on the subject.
Start implementing stuff you know how should work.
Make larger projects.
Read more.
Make even larger projects.
Teach other people programming.
Read through "professional" projects.
Learn all tools surrounding programming (the OS, the build system, the libraries, the testing systems, the run systems, the editors, the version control, the documentation system or whatever you find relevant).
At some point, you should be confident enough to seek employment.

It's not about that, it's the format that doesn't really work for that sort of "tutorial". If you need to look at examples carefully and go back and forth between them, video is counter productive.

I want to learn how to code because it sounds fun, but I don't have any idea about what to code.
Help.

Pick an easy one

Read some fucking books! I read 10 textbooks in a year cover to cover and a bunch more less thoroughly. Did all the exercises from each. Start with TCPL.

>being this retarded

Pick a language based on what you wanna program for. If you're going for video games, learn C# and Unity.

I'm going to try to learn Python so I can use it for penetration testing better.

Go to high school.

Hey bro I learned to program using developer tools in chrome
Specifically the console where you can practice JavaScript
I work for google now

Is K&R really a good start for programming? I'm considering reading it over the summer.

no. just start programming.

>Referencing the epoch
Lol

>over the summer
You can do it in like a day or two.

Creating your own compiler

nano helloworld.py
print("Hello world")

I'd rather just do it when I have lots of time to focus on it

Mess around with HTML / CSS / JavaScript. Your web browser is your IDE and you can do everything in a folder or two on your machine. Don't worry about packages or jQuery or Angular or what have you. Just write some vanilla web code to make an html page locally.

Everyone is gonna reply saying that JS isn't a real programming language or that I'm a brainlet or whatever. But if you want to dive in, JavaScript has the lowest barrier to entry to just try things out.

Here is something for you to play with: pastebin.com/dP1UT4mV

Make a text file, paste the code from the pastebin in, and save it. Then drag the file you made to an empty tab in your browser. It just writes some text to the page. Try changing the text, changing the title. Making things different colors. From there you can try making inputs, outputs, and doing stuff with them like adding numbers together. Eventually you'll learn how to inspect element and go into the javascript console. Then you'll be Neo from the Matrix.

After all that, look up html/css/js best practices to get a feel for how to do things right.

>It doesn't work for me
>I'll try and shit on everyone that uses it
This is why you feel so alone, user

or an interrupt routine

>It doesn't work for me
It doesn't work for anyone, learning code is reading code. Pausing a video to read a code snippet is monumentally retarded. You have never used youtube to learn anything, stop lashing out like a child.

but reddit really does suck...that site is just buzzfeed with forums.

We dont need any buzzfeed type people and reddit is the second home of those types.

Codecademy
EdX
Coursera
Udacity

>Le image with moot post

You have to go back.

>get textbook of language you want to learn
>start reading it
>do the challenges/exercises/whatever
>????
>kill yourself

>tfw i've essentially done this by hoarding pdf's on advanced topics i'm interested in and only going ankle-deep into programming by doing CS101-level programming problems

ok but how do you get motivated to learn all this shit

READ A FUCKING BOOK WITH PRACTICE PROBLEMS THAT ARE VACUOUS APPLICATIONS OF WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THE RELEVANT SECTION

JESUS CHRIST SO MUCH TIME SPENT WORRYING ABOUT THE HOW THAT YOU NEVER DO ANYTHING

read SICP

have fun

>"now, some of you guys may be sayin' to yourselves 'now hold on a second Bucky... are you trying to tell me that the ovens in Treblinka could burn 8,000 bodies a day?'"

>he doesn't yearn for the days of double arrays being used to store strings
>he doesn't like everything being said so discretely and plainly that only a retard could misinterpret after reading a couple relatively short documents

oh no
it's a mechanical engineer

python projects

The online tutorials are all boring programs. I want to do AI shit

Don't, everyone knows so it's not worth it

What should I do then?

>data types
>operators
>flow control
>in and out streams
enough to start doing shit, learnable in a week
if doing OO:
>classes
>interfaces
>generic data types
>reflection
>event handling

Don't learn to read, everyone knows it so it's not worth it.

fpbp

Two Options
Install arch or Install TempleOs

read "Learn Python The Hard Way" - that's how I started