Silicon lottery thread

Post times you have won the silicon lottery.

>had a phenom X2 555 on which i was able to unlock 2 additional cores and get a 4ghz overclock with the stock cooler
>had a fx 8150 that overclocked to 4.5ghz on a hyper 212 and later 5.2ghz on a noctua D15
>got a 980ti that achieved 1500mhz on the air cooler, making it faster than a 1070

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
youtube.com/watch?v=wqv_6qhbHxw
youtube.com/watch?v=TQYsl360v1A
youtube.com/watch?v=K-3zMMkldlE
overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1601896-overclockersclub-overclock-showdown-gtx-980ti-vs-gtx-1070-vs-gtx-1080-a.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

buying a bulldozer at all means you lost the silicon lottery by default

Mate, this was in 2011, and FX processors are great for multi-threaded workloads like GCC.

Is there anyway to tell without overclocking?

youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

underclocking

Sounds risky. might freeze my cpu instead of burning it up!

Know this is bait but replying anyway.

A processor cannot go below ambient temperature unless you use LN2 or a phase change cooler.

I'm not a jew so I don't overclock the fuck out of everything I own to try to get 1 fps from it at the expense of it dying like 3 years earlier than it should.

Was a joke, but thanks for the useful information anyhow!

More specifically undervolting, if your processor can run at its current clockspeed with lower voltage, it indicates that it will overclock higher than most processors since the limit for clockspeed in most cases is voltage.

>had a Q6600 that cannot pass 3.2Ghz at 1.5v
I lose the lottery

More like 30% more performance in most cases, overclocking my 980ti made it perform almost the same as two 980ti in SLI.

Also, the CPU wont die quicker as long as you have good cooling.

Just buy a bunch of used C2Q until you reach a got overclock, each CPU is ~$5.

If you RMAed your processor for the segfault issue with Zen, the chips you get back are so much better.

Had a 1700x which couldn't even clock past 3.8 ghz at 1.45 V and my 2x16GB memory kept failing at 2800 overclock from 2400.

After RMA, my new chip managed to run at 4.1 ghz at the same voltage but I downclock to 4.0 for 1.35 V usage, and memory was able to clock to 3000. I do use it for compiling at work so it was nice to get it to work better although I do feel sorry for whoever got the chip I had if AMD decided to repackage it again or something.

>tfw I bought kaby lake when it came out and am stuck with 4 cores for 5 years or longer

Least I built my pc when RAM and GPU was cheap

Just get a used xeon if you want more than 4 cores.

I dont actually NEED the cores I don't think, but it would be nice to have!

Got a d0 920 to 4.5ghz @ 1.4v stable back in the day

Meanwhile I can't find a stable setting past 4.5ghz on my 3930k.

I spent a fair amount of money on my build at the time and had to cut back from buying 4x16 because RAM was already rising at the time, and the RAM was $199 at lowest according to pcpartpicker, but I brought at $270. It's now at over $400.

>all LGA 1151 xeons are quad cores
FUCKING INTEL!!!!

Sandybridge Xeons still perform on par with new i9s, plus use cheaper DDR3 memory (32GB of DDR3 is only 70$).

youtube.com/watch?v=wqv_6qhbHxw

>K6 with a pencil and 2 jumpers from 233 to 320mzh
>Pentium IV from 2.26gzh to 3.0
>Pentium D 2160 from 1.8 to a fuckin 3.4ghz. (reading 90%+ oc on Everest was the shit)
>Phenom II x3 unlocked to x4 and overclocked from 2.8 to 3.4 (could clock higher but it was on a shitty nforce 6200 biostar gpu)
>Sempron 2.6ghz single core unlocked to 3 core "rana" cpu and clocked to 3.0ghz (this fucker died last year and was replaced with a pentium g4600 that does feel slower)
>Fx8320 can go to 4.7ghz on water (h80i) with a "low" 1.38vcore but the vrm in my m5a97 but the vrm is shitty so i keep it @4.3ghz

Times used to be good

I sald the phenom was on a biostar 6200 gpu but i was refering to the chipset "codename hammer" see pic related.

It was paired in "hybrid sli" with an 8400gs tho.

920 was an OCing monster.

Had mine at ~4.4 at 1.375 for 6 years. Now it cant stay over 3.8 at any settings without shitting itself during a stress test. Pushing it that far and kinda killing it was worth it in the long run.

>pencil and 2 jumpers
Explain.

>making it faster than a 1070
lol

Hah, as much as bulldozer was faildozer, they where decent overclockers. Never heard of the piledrive 95xx? They where just factory overclocked piledrivers.

>980ti has 50% more transistors than 1070
>1500mhz is only a 25% lower than a 1070 overclocked
>Nvidiot thinks his "new" card is somehow faster.
Admit it, maxwell has aged very well, pascal is a scam when last gen cards perform better for less money.

it's true

I made the misake of getting an FX-4100 just after they came out, it's still going strong at 4.2GHz on a CM Hyper TX3 cooler, which I'd say is pretty admirable considering uh everything

it's building gentoo right now : ^) SEEYA IN A MONTH

transistors = performance
>muh gpoos are like fine wine!

You do know that the architecture difference contains a lot more performance-related changes than just "more transistors," right? you moron?

Had an intel celeron 300a that overclocked to 500Mhz. OG overclocking ya heard, kids?

It does when both cards have nearly the same architecture, which is the case here when pascal was a 28nm to 14nm node shrink of maxwell.

If you're using the same CPU until it dies then you're very much a jew, unless you're running a light server or something

>muh nodes!
>muh transistors!
>muh 3yo sunk costs!

Pascal is only a node shrink. Besides the smaller process, the maxwell and pascal architectures are nearly identical. Also, how do you explain then that the 980ti with only a modest overclock is only 10-15% slower than a 1080.

oh god, if he means what I think he means, back in the day, on certain CPUs, you could get them to OC by literally using a pencil to draw a conductive line between 2 pins on the chip, then set a jumper/DIP on the motherboard to make it work

actually, related to this thread, I got a 1.4GHz single core acer laptop back in 2004 that could OC to 1.8 by doing that or otherwise connecting 2 of the pins on the CPU, but it also made it go up to around 75-80C at idle and, in the sweaty australian summer, it finally died after 3 years of sitting at that clock running an MPD server (and slightly melted a bunch of keys along the main heatpipes)

I miss that piece of shit

I remember back in the day Tom doing that on Toms hardware, like og Dr Thomas Pabst. IIRC they sold a pencil or recommended a particular brand. Very cool times.

also fuck that 980ti guy

to me you've already won the lottery if you can afford that many systems.

t.poorfag

Nvidia shills are in full force here. How much does leather-jacket gook pay you? 3$ an hour? Explain these benchmarks then:

youtube.com/watch?v=TQYsl360v1A

youtube.com/watch?v=K-3zMMkldlE

This was over the course of 5 years, so not too extravagant.

non sequitur

>Geforce 4000mx (that very shitty MX4 with 32bit bus)
>Could basically turn it into a 440 by overclocking the memory from 166Mhz to something brutal like 350-400Mhz

>Shill
>Buying normal shit with modern benfits
>Shill
>Weirdo asshole on G trying to talk up his shitty last gen purchase of a TI card 3-4 years later.

>"only 10-15%"
Shit dude, I'd love a 10-15% real actual speed improvement.

Use your head, buddy-o. There's more to rendering frames than just transistors. The architecture changes allow for using them BETTER, the node shrink makes the whole chip considerably more efficient (which means less power straight dissipated as heat), board reference changes, new tech in daughter chips and the ability to use said tech, etc. I literally used a 680 until this year, with no fucking issues in 95% of the things I tried to play (and usually even on pretty high settings), but that 5% using newer, fancier techniques would really, really fuck me, because my card didn't have specific stuff designed for computing it.

Also, I dunno if you've realised this, but you probably haven't considering- we're at a bit of a plateau in GPU fabrication processes. They aren't getting considerably faster on average, and haven't been for a while. 10-15% faster on average is actually pretty big, and the 10xx cards will do even better than the 9xx cards in, mostly, newer stuff. Better improvements come in having specific minor architecture and microcode changes for the drivers to take advantage of new methods for rendering/computing certain things. This goes for both Nvidia and AMD.

And now I'm blogposting

>THIS GOES FOR BOTH NVIDIA AND AMD

>muh TI!
>muh TI!
overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1601896-overclockersclub-overclock-showdown-gtx-980ti-vs-gtx-1070-vs-gtx-1080-a.html

>>Buying normal shit with modern benfits
Explain what benefits a 1070 has over a 980ti.
>>Weirdo asshole on G trying to talk up his shitty last gen purchase of a TI card 3-4 years later.
I do not want these nvidia shills to win over this board and entice people into buying overpriced cards when last gen is just as good, if not better.

What about price to performance? Paying double the price for 15% more performance is not a good value. Also, rendering techniques that slow down some architectures is not valid here since pascal is just maxwell but fabricated in 14nm.

Some quotes from the article you just posted.

>Important to note for those trying to upgrade from the 980 Ti or Titan X to the 1070 running a 2560x1440 or 4K monitor... For the love of god, don't.

>At 1550 MHz on a 980Ti I should be roughly the same or slightly faster than a 1070 and about -20% to a 1080. $300-400 to upgrade for 10-20fps is not worth it.

The 1070 and 980ti were neck and neck when both were overclocked in some select games. This still give the 980ti the edge when it only costs half as much. Also, if you're running a shitty reference (which is most likely since the only way to get these cards reasonably priced is directly from nvidia), you wouldnt be able to overclock the 1070 high enough to match a overclocked 980ti. The only reason to buy a 1070 is for lower power consumption, otherwise it loses in every other aspect to the 980ti.

>>Explain what benefits a 1070 has over a 980ti.
>overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1601896-overclockersclub-overclock-showdown-gtx-980ti-vs-gtx-1070-vs-gtx-1080-a.html

>What about price to performance? Paying double the price for 15% more performance is not a good value. Also, rendering techniques that slow down some architectures is not valid here since pascal is just maxwell but fabricated in 14nm.
Go look at todays prices retard.

>>Muh 4k or some other shit 80% of people don't use! MUH TI MUH TI MUH TI!

Enjoy heating your house with your gpu grandma

You're fucking sad, and a real case study on why you should never buy anything "enthusiast", years later and your chomping at the bit to defend your video card.

It's sad dude.

>>overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1601896-overclockersclub-overclock-showdown-gtx-980ti-vs-gtx-1070-vs-gtx-1080-a.html
I had just refuted this article in a previous post, commenters on that article had advised against upgrading from a 980ti to a 1070 or a 1080.

>Go look at todays prices retard.
980ti's can still be had for ~$250
While 1070s go for $800 aftermarket or $400 from nvidia with a housefire cooler.

>>>Muh 4k or some other shit 80% of people don't use! MUH TI MUH TI MUH TI!
I never mentioned 4k, a 980ti is better than a 1070 overall

>Enjoy heating your house with your gpu grandma
non sequitur

I had an X3 720 where the fourth core worked just fine. Also had it all overclocked for years. Eventually replaced it with a 1090T that did 4GHz at 1.45V on air with comfortable thermal margin.

My 980 Ti Classified also did 1526MHz on air no problems.

Yeah, but he's right though. You brainlets defending your 1070 purchase doesn't change that. The 980 Ti is faster overclock versus overclock, especially when you start increasing the resolution, due to its much higher memory bandwidth.

You keep on posting memes though.

Its sad you're trying so hard to shill for $3 an hour. Also:

N O N S E Q U I T E R

I uh... price to performance? I got a 1060 for $300 AUD, I'd say that's pretty fucking great considering the last time I paid less than $300 for a current generation x6x card with a decent board and cooler was the GTX260. the 1070 and 1080 are more expensive than previous generations, but I'd say that's probably (entirely) because of miners, memory prices, and die fabrication losses. If you wanna buy a last gen card for cheaper, be my guest, I guess? This is literally the exact same situation as the 6xx vs 7xx cards, and 8xxx vs 9xxx cards way before them, and even back as far as like the MX440, as well as many, many FUCKING MANY AMD cards over the years, so like... what's your point, that older cards are cheaper? duh? they have worse tech, of course they are

You're right, too, I actually worded that badly, I was saying, simply, that there's more to a GPU's performance than simply transistors, not that all of those changes happened between maxwell and pascal.

>You're right, too, I actually worded that badly, I was saying, simply, that there's more to a GPU's performance than simply transistors, not that all of those changes happened between maxwell and pascal.

HA, I got a nvidia shill to admit he was wrong. Leather-jacket gook gonna cut your pay...

>I got a 1060 for $300 AUD

You can get a used 980ti for a similar price today.
1060s today go for over $500.

Also,

>worse tech
Not in this case, only difference between pascal and maxwell is power consumption due to smaller fabrication process, everything else is identical between both architectures.

>TFW you defeat the nvidia shills
You will soon be driven from these lands along with all the other shills, and Sup Forums will be great.

I'm pretty brand agnostic really, my GPU stack currently contains 6 AMD/ATI cards and 5 Nvidia cards, plus the two Nvidia cards in my PC, but hey, friendly 980Ti shill, if it makes you feel better, call me what you want

I honestly probably would have grabbed a 980Ti if I'd known that at the time, but. Live and learn, I guess.

Fabrication processes are technology, m8. Also, lower power consumption = higher efficiency which can, contrary to your strange beliefs, result in better performance and less heat.

Again, there is more to performance than just number of transistors, and I suspect you don't know very much about how a GPU actually works on a much lower level than what your computer tells you when you run HWMonitor.

this is just sad, take your meds

im sitting here have a piss drinking kirkland beer while your blowing your gaskets on your thrif store GPU

gj bro, mamma proud!

>You can get a used 980ti for a similar price today.
>1060s today go for over $500.
Go find us your precious little 980ti for a decent price. Go on.. do it young man :)

At least I have a real job.

You know this website is 18+ right?

Yes and stocking Poundland is a great profession

Are you in the military, driving the stupid islam shills out of ARE CUNTRY during the day and fighting the shills on Sup Forums at night?

I did not just factor in transistors, but clockspeed too due to fabrication differences: ti has 50% more transistors than 1070
mhz is only a 25% lower than a 1070 overclocked

Just having a little fun that's all.
Im really sick of these shill tho, every other thread on Sup Forums is filled with shills.

"if all you can smell is shit, check your shoes"

no shills here friendo, just your flagrant schizophrenia or whatever the hell makes you think this is reddit

you know, the place that's full of shills

the place you should go the fuck back to

moron

Pays better than shilling online, and is a real job with benefits and protection by the law.

However, I do not work in poundland or a similar minimum wage job.

>accuses me of being from plebbit
>uses reddit spacing

>knows what rebbit posts apparently generally look like
>using the enter key is "reddit spacing"
fucking reddit shill

ITT people scroating onthe 980 TI
>but heart 1070/80 owners

Learn 2 buy ribblings

>oy vey, stop overclocking your (((unlocked k-series))) CPU's

>newfag doesn't know what reddit spacing is

>t. I """"""upgraded""""" from GTX 980Ti to GTX1070 for 7.00354 fps increase

What does he mean by this?

It's getting kinda sad dude, stop posting. You didn't "defeat" anyone, no one here is a shill (except you, if anyone), and in almost a decade of using Sup Forums I don't think I've seen anyone freak out about a singular GPU so autistically.

Please god, someone re-rail this thread, it was such a cool idea.

autism

>had a fx 8150
Luck favors the weak of mind.

This wasn't actually me, the OP and main shill opposer. There were at least 2 people here on my side.

See:

>fx 8150
my condolence.

See:

Phenom II x4 955 - (Main desktop cpu since 2010)

FX chip makes good workstation/server chip but that's it. Got an FX as my server cpu right now, doing fine at it for quite a while now.

The phenom was such a good series, I wish they brought back core unlocking (which you should look into for your x4), AMD kinda has that right now where some 4 and 6 core processors come with 8 cores enabled. Also the old naming scheme was so cool, sempron-athlon-phenom-opteron.

You should look into used opterons for your server, 12 cores are insanely cheap. Plus there are a couple of opteron boards that can be librebooted.

i had a socket 939 athlon64 4000 (2.4 GHz) hitting 3.1 GHz on air. probably one of the most powerful single core CPUs. working flawlessly for years at 2.89 ghz with 200 mhz DDR boosted to 244

>Got a 880m that achieved 2250mhz core 12ghz memory on the air cooler, making it faster than a 1080ti