Secure Communication

>Ring me up on GNU/Ring!

ring.cx/

What is your opinion of this?

Support for GNU/Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
End-to-end encryption with authentication.
Peer-to-peer discovery and connection.
Official GNU package.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/issues/426
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What is your opinion of this?
Something that will never take off because normalshit cling to skype, faecesbook messenger and whatsapp and gaymer kids cling to le discord.

And Yanks cling to SMS lmao

Too buggy. Riot.im and Wire are good enough for me.

Thanks OP, didn't know such thing existed, looks neat

give me a Ring

>JOIN THE RING
pedo ring?

Tried it with my laptop and phone on the same network. It struggled with video and for some reason even text messages had too much latency. Shouldn't they discover that they are on the same network?

utter bloat

>buggy as hell
>gtk
meh

Tried it but it's buggy as hell and wouldn't even remeber my account after reboot and there's no way to recover it.

>Strangle me up
lel, good name.

I'll stick with Matrix for now

does it still take an hour to make a video call?

Can you regenerate a RingID? Can you use the same RingID on different devices?

is it still full of bugs?
it wouldn't transmit video last time I tried

tox is better, but even that is shitty with contact list syncing, multidevice support and offline messages

>tox is better

Needs:
Easy installation
Low on dependencies
Be written mainly in C
Have a an IRC client bridge or at least a command line

It's not GNU/Ring, it's GNU Ring or just Ring.
The slash implies they are distinct things (which is true for GNU/Linux since Linux isn't developed by the GNU project).
If GNU makes the project, there isn't a slash.

>normalshit faecesbook gaymer le
please stop.

The gold standard

Boy sure miss 2008 eh

>The systems presented above, other than GNU/Linux, are not advised by the Free Software community, due to a grave ethical flaw
>posts Ubuntu

Half of my normie friends these days use Signal, and have quit FB. What kind of shithole do you live in?

How does this compare to Matrix/Riot.im?

Make an AppImage then I'll try it.

I just want private conversations with friends, family and work colleagues, wtf is this shit?

Does it have groupchats?

Kek

tox isn't really secure, the was heated issue on their github. i'd use either blink or jitsi/web

gnu doesn't make ring tho

>tox isn't really secure, the was heated issue on their github.
[citation needed]

Does Matrix still allow for insecure messages?

The two obvious big issues with Signal are that it requires a phone number to be associated with your account and that it routes all messages through a centralized server. Really a shame because it could have been good.

github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/issues/426

Matrix is decentralized, Ring is distributed.

What is everyone here using?

yo mama

discord

Riot.im

discord and skype since im not autism levels of pickiness and everyone uses them

convenience and usability
vs
philosophy driven, problematic and buggy

The reason centralized model dominates over distributed is overall lack of IP address ownership for devices. Initializing connection through public server it technologically much easier. Ring addresses that
>Connectivity first: the purpose of a communication software is ... to communicate! Ring uses protocols such as ICE, STUN/TURN, UPnP and NAT-PMP which allow you to join your peers even in difficult network configurations such as multiple firewalls and NAT.
but it makes the solution much more complex, buggy and slow. I just want IPv6 address on my devices everywhere already. What an age to live in.

Plus the client is in GTK so it's no-go for smaller displays because it's not responsive, enforces minimal size and puts parts of the window out of screen.

>And Yanks cling to SMS lmao
The only group that uses something else than SMS are Germans, Gypsies and Poor kids.They tend to use garbo like whatsapp for some unknown reason.

sms and facebook messanger are pretty much the two standards everyone in europe sorts of expects. With exception of germans, gypsies and poor people.

Buggy as fucking hell.

Yes, it's still a work in progress. It will be encrypted by default soon.

I'm still sticking with it because I think it will be the best solution in the long term.

Riot.im, line, and skype.

Skype has one friend who won't budge and line has about a dozen people with no chance of them switching. I'm hoping to be able to drop skype completely one day but I think I'm going to be stuck with line for a while.

Eastern EU.
If FB adoption in time is a bell curve then sadly this place is still on the rising side while already being at a terrifying high level.
Every teeanger and young adult has FB.
Most older adults and hell even a good part of old people have FB.
Kids who can already read have FB.

lol nobody uses SMS anymore, in Europe or outside of it, apart from the US for some fucked up reason. Everyone is using FB Messenger, WhatsApp etc.

>lol nobody uses SMS anymore
people born before 2000 definitely do.
and germans, gypsies and other kinds of poor people.

Not the guy to whom you replied, but I send SMSes to two people: my weed dealer and a friend who is a Flat-Earther. I receive SMSes from my phone company and the airline when I book my ticket. Other than that it's all WA/FBm. Denmark, btw.

only thing SMS is used is basically automated stuff because whatsapp and fb is against bots

didnt receive an actual sms from a person in years

Bullshit, for communication, instant messengers are the new standard

The SMS app on my phone is a glorified 2FA app

t. germans, gypsies and poor people

so tox somehow sucks because a bunch of pedos use it? Isn't that obvious? Tox is advertised as secure, of course there will be criminals using that because they obviously don't want to get caught.