Comp sci and math at university

I have been offered a place at several unis in the uk to study it (Brunel, Sheffield and Manchester). I just want to get the opinion from fellow anons who have taken it before.
>inb4 why math
im good at it
>inb4 just learn how to code
i can, I have been learning c/c++ for about 5 years now.

>inb4 use the internet
I have. I just want my fellow user(s) opinon on it.

What was your experience on the course?

Difficulty of the content?

Career prospectives straight after/current job?

Would you do anything differently i.e. pick up a different optional module in the second/third year?

Seriously.

Go to uni, enjoy yourself. Don't stress as they're self-regulating fuckholes that are piss to pass.

Better job prospects than before ain't hard. Especially with math. You ain't doing drama.

Now go get shit faced and stop worrying over fuck all.

But what would I have done different? Got drunker.

t-thanks for responding user.

what do you do for work though lad?

bump

I am interviewing fresh grads who spent their years at uni partying. They do not get hired to program. If they are lucky, they get hired by someone else to flip burgers.

Take your studies seriously, and learn. That way, you get a job in the field that you studied.

Or listen to this anuscavity and have fun asking people if they want fries with that.

should i do a bunch of extra curriculur activities?

Everyone who start to study math thinks he is "good at it". But school math is miles away from what you learn at university. Prepare to get fisted hard.

As for programming, it's also not that easy. You probably have assignments every week that'll take some time.

So whatever you do, please take my advice:
The basics courses in the first year at the university are not easy, don't think about "side projects" or "lol I'm learning spanish for the lulz". If you survive the first year you're halfway there.

Anyway, the main difference between programming and math is as follows:
Math is a science. You need a methodology, you learn rules and ways to apply them.
Programming is craftmanship. Things look easy but they really aren't, it's a lot about getting a gut feeling and learning a bunsh of rules that can't always be put into words.

For me it was always like that:
In math you think a long time about the problem, then it suddenly clicks and you realize "shit, it's simply this and this sentence!" and the calculating is trivial.
Coding is the other way arround, you do 80% in a shot time, then you start debugging or realize there are some nasty endge cases and have to put a lot of time into debugging optimization.

>Career prospectives straight after/current job?

Math is shit.
You can go to insurance/banking or teach at the university, that's about it.

Programming has a fuckload of paths for a good career. The important point is to start doing internships somewhere in the second/thrid year. If you only realy on your academic coding skills you're chances aren't so great, but if you some experience in the wild and halfway decent degrees you'll get offered a job in no time.

>Would you do anything differently

Party harder!

Another advice:
Do things that are interesting for you!
I took a practical course at the university only because it was intersting and that's how I got my current job.

cheers lad. I dont really like parties and I will probably stay in on freshers revising in my dorm/libary or working out in the gym.

If someone goes to uni, they probably hate programming.

If someone likes programming they probably don't need uni.

Learn the dynamics of electricity, how a machine works, not to just create pretty web pages and/or solve math problems you don't give a shit about without any knowledge of how any of it works deep down. Web devs and mindless code monkeys aren't programmers, they are idiots who were told that they were programmers

>If someone goes to uni, they probably hate programming.
>If someone likes programming they probably don't need uni.
I love it but, i need uni to get my foot in the door - i can probably pay my through uni due to me playing with internet shekels so debt is not an issue, if it was i would not go.

>learn the dynamics
so i should learn assembly code?

Assembly is no different than Python when it comes to what actually happens with the computer. Its not about learning this or that style of code, style of syntax, how fast or slow a language is, or if it uses whitespace or curly brackets, if its functional or OO etc. it is knowing that programming languages are just means to an end, to make the computer do what you ask it to do. How? It doesn't really matter. For me it was a moment when i stopped fretting over syntax, this or that convenience of this or that language, so on ad so forth, or, in other words, what Sup Forumsents are all about.

Once can learn assembly, hex, even binary, but it's one thing to know something, and it is another to understand something.

Do you care if you use English, French, Japanese, German, Norwegian etc. when you want to make a statement? Do you argue over which of them has better syntax, or which has more clearly defined notions and terms? Do you care that German is harder than English and therefore must be better? No? Why do you care what programming language you then use, if it gets the job done?

idk if this is the same person, my bad if it isnt.

I have some basic understanding of electrical circuits, have fucked around with op amps and various diodes/transistors since i was a kid.
You're talking about actually producing a computer components. right?
As cool as it is i have no clue where to start and im more interested in machine learning/AI - even if its a massive meme atm.

Thanks for your responses user.
add me on discord BernstienBear#4780 would love to talk about tech with you and possibly work on some side projects with you.

Programming is nothing more than a way to make the machine do what you want it to do. The machine thinks and acts in binary, and EVERY programming language is, in its end-form, binary. The only think you need to understand is that it is all just electricity, and programming is the way to control it. Also it helps to know how electronic components work, because that + programs who control them by basically flipping switches on/off are literally everything that happens with the computer.

A computer is nothing more than switches, electricity and means to control it, and the creator of Ruby nailed it to the point with his philosophy.

what do you do for work user?

Would rather not say, but it doesn't involve programming, since that is a mere hobby of mine

do you work for an alphabet agency?

Nah, i don't work for any agency, and no that is not just lingo for "private contractor".

ok ((user)).

like i said earlier add me on discord: BernstienBear#4780

>be me
>messed up my gcse's and a levels
>was taking chemistry at 19, dropped out
>now in first year math degree at 26

I'm hoping the stars align and I can get an accounting job when I graduate.

What if I told you that I know all these things but simply enjoy the challenges of developing large SaaS type webshits?