Why do people hate javascript?

Why do people hate javascript?

It's the lingua franca of the web. Easy to get jobs that pay well.

Do you hate it because it's popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f
w3schools.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>t. javascript soyboy code monkey

>140k/year codemonkey

man i must be the most well paid monkey in the known universe

Because it tries to be everything in the shittiest possible way.

I hate web

Because all they know is old js. ES6 is great.

>code in javascript
>any variable can have every type
>if you want type security you have to use typescript, an additional compiler
>just to get type security
>have to launch a browser in 99% of use cases to interpret it
>syntax is shit
>community is shit
There isn't a single reason to like this shit
saged

Thats nothing when I finish my degree I am going to be getting 300k starting

Everything you said is wrong.

>any variable can have every type

false

>have to launch a browser in 99% of use cases to interpret it

false

Peanuts, i program in HTML and make 3m/year.

leave

this

place

>>>reddit

>const
>this is somehow proof for type security

Every thing he said is right. That's why typescript was created.

no typescript was made becuz ms wanted to extend js and dominate iit

I this case you can learn Java as well. I can't really understand why everyone hate Java cuz JVM but love something that is a lot worse.

In JS you can do anything and that is part of what has made it such a ubiquitous language, but has also led to it being misused. In a real world environment you can get around this by setting up an insanely strict linter that enforces good development practice and have the build break on linting issues.

Is this bait?

ES6 is okay, but I think TypeScript is the future.

>be me
>come from c++
>forced to do a frontend with javascript because we don't have enough frontend monkeys
>realize there's no type system
>everything's an object, which could be nice in theory
>but in a horrible, bloated, confusing way
>have a problem, look it up online
>there's 4 libraries, 15 manual solutions and 15 more that are somewhat obscure but provide more performance
>"what, you don't use jquery? Sry, can't help you"
What a fucking mess of a language

>he uses var

I bet you use auto in c++ too

>every variable one has to write is constant
???

What are you trying to prove?

It's enables web malware/spyware and the developers are completely retarded and uneducated.

>man i must be the most well paid monkey in the known universe
NBA players got you beat there, senpai

>not knowing there are declarations that const and var

You can leave now

and make it slightly less of a nightmare to debug?

how horrifying

>strings are for faggots
i knew it!

You can do anything but modern safe paradigms like proper oop, scope is the biggest mess of all languages and not static.
This is the scariest part of how outdated Javascript is. It's very dangerous

>being so mentally limited you can't build a proper sentence

>I have no argument so I'll attack their poor grammar

>scope is the biggest mess of all languages and not static
what are arrow functions?

>outdated
constantly developed

>it's very dangerous
you can exploit browser flaws in any language. log in to a compromised cms and see

>sentence doesn't make sense with typo
>user complains
>hurr durr no argument

You know what it meant. Extrapolate, brainlet.

santance daessn't maek sanse wiht tpyo

>can't learn javasacript in a day
>blames javascript

>can't lean brainfuck in a day
>blames brainfuck
ebin meme :DDDD

To be honest, one can learn javascript in maybe 2-3 days to a sufficient level. Everything else is ui/ux design

< 150k codemonkeys need not apply please

How do you guys structure large JS projects?
What do you separate on different files?
What about choosing between OOP and FP?

From zero previous programming experience? Enough to write shitty scripts, sure, but you're not going to be writing large applications in js after 3 days.

Not saying you should be doing that - ever - but it's what everyone else is doing these days and it's where the money is.

> What about choosing between OOP and FP?
What's there to choose? They're not mutually exclusive, unless you go off the deep end and try to write either pure functional or corporate java in fucking javascript of all things.

>How do you guys structure large JS projects?

Generally speaking, one class = one file. In each subfolder, have an index.js which imports and exports files which upper branches need.

// folder/subfolder/index.js
import A from './a';
import B from './b';
export { A, B };

// folder/app.js
import { A } from './subfolder';

He said he has a c++ background, so I assumed we are talking about someone who is a professional programmer already

I don't hate javascript, but I do hate the clusterfuck of frameworks and libraries for it and every dev is fucking married to some obscure nodejs package named after some random unrelated thing and forces you to use it

hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f

and devs who are hyped about js are usually soyboys and whine about C++ being "hard"

so I guess the problem isn't js, but everything associated to it

>be me
>don't read thread before posting
>make a retard of myself
You're right, carry on

Web Assembly will soon blow JS.

It's called React/Vue/Angular.

>dat article

Hit me right in the feels. The main takeaway is that you need to pick a js flavour and a transpiler. I use es6 + webpack.

Don't bother with react/vue/angular unless you need it for a project/ job. You can pick it up quick and it's waaay simpler than they try to make it appear.

>easy to get jobs that pay well
>100 years of experience in "insert obscure JS framework here" required

Because it's a shit language.

The only people that say it's good are the people that only know javascript.

Yes, and because of outdated memes.
>grug need static typing
>grug only understand imperative
implying people won't put node in wasm

lol c++ frameworks are more bloated and poor documented than web standards, if you can't learn something as simple as web development using this guide w3schools.com/ its because you sucks programming at all.

I don't particularly like or hate javascript, but I know for sure it is a harmful programming language for beginners.

>callbacks
>promises
just kys my shit up

> web development
> "programming"

LEL

everything in js is an object, a string is an object, a function is an object, integers are objects, floats, even booleans , anything and everything is an object

Web assembly is literally a replacement for web workers. It's only there to defer resource intensive tasks from interrupting the DOM. JS is still going to be in charge of DOM manipulation.

No problems here my dude :^)

async function getData(url, params) {
try {
const response = await fetch(url, params);
// do something with the response
} catch(error) {
console.warn(error);
}
}

STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!
Coroutines and non-blocking event loops make C-tards' heads explode! DON'T POST THAT HERE! Murderer!

Wrong. You're a fucking idiot. Functions are indeed objects, but the rest are primitives.

JS isn't the problem.
The million frameworks and libraries are.

>Vanilla JS? Naah. We're rewriting in j̶Q̶u̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶J̶S̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶F̶l̶u̶x̶ ̶R̶e̶d̶u̶x̶ ̶M̶o̶b̶X̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶ ̶1̶6̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶I̶n̶f̶e̶r̶n̶o̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶H̶y̶p̶e̶r̶H̶T̶M̶L̶ lit-html...

>open console
>type in

$ = document.querySelectorAll;

>hello jquery

When I first started using javascript, I used jquery right off the bat.
I always thought there was some arcane magic going on under the hood for selectors and things like that.

When I found out that vanilla javascript has queries built in I closed my laptop and wept.

Well, to be fair jQuery DOES do many things that the native DOM-API doesn't.
Convenience functions like $node.appendTo (parent)instead of requriing parent.appendChild(node), a fluent API...

But I agree. The reasons to actually use it become fewer and fewer.
XHRs can now be done more conveniently with fetch (at least with small wrappers around it), things like addClass are now part of .classList, any inert HTML string can now be created with an inert element, animations are part of CSS, can be trivially made with requestAnimationFrame or even the web animation API, addEventListener support has been universal for years, $.extend now exists as Object.assign or even the object spread operator...

If only the fucking DOM API wasn't this awkward to use. Don't get me wrong, I know how to use it. It's just bad, because it's not fluent and requires you to hop between nodes, when you shouldn't need to (like in the .append vs parentNode.appendChild situation).

jQuery advocates always warn of "cross browser incompatibilities", but there have been no glaring ones sicne IE 8. Not for the simple use cases that jQuery provides functions for, at least.

Nice trips, also it's not your fault.
Many web devs are so retarded, they literally don't know that jQuery != JavaScript. I'm serious. I've met people who ask what the best way is to add numbers using jQuery.

If you Google any JS related problem, chances are one of the first results in some stackoverflow thread that starts with "install jQuery. just do it. Don't even question it". and then shows some jQuery solution that would have probably been just as easy using the native APIs.

>>Don't bother with react/vue/angular unless you need it for a project/ job.

The problem is employers want to see you've actually worked on this shit, even if you think it's easy. You can't even get an interview around here (Silicon Valley) without several React or Angular projects in your portfolio.