/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

commondatastorage.googleapis.com
commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Linux_x64/LAST_CHANGE`
commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Linux_x64/$LVER/chrome-linux.zip
i.ytimg.com/vi/nzZ6Ikc7juw/0.jpg
appimage.github.io/apps/
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/AppImages
bintray.com/probono/AppImages
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_environment#List_of_desktop_environments
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager
svgur.com/s/5d5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>yfw this pops up in your emerge update queue

I grab chromium from commondatastorage.googleapis.com for a good reason.

I don't think I can bear to hear a microscopic laptop fan REEEEEEEEEEEEE for 6 hours straight again, I'm going to just pull in the binaries from now on as soon as I figure out how

Have my script:
#!/bin/sh

LVER=`curl --silent commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Linux_x64/LAST_CHANGE`
echo Version is $LVER
mv chrome-linux.zip chrome-linux-BACKUP.zip

wget commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Linux_x64/$LVER/chrome-linux.zip

rm -r chrome-linux
unzip chrome-linux.zip
cd chrome-linux
sudo chown root:root chrome_sandbox
sudo chmod 4755 chrome_sandbox

inb4 pajeet, feel free (as in freedom) to improve it

Who's the guy taking all these photos? Does he have a bodyguard?

>friends

camera's have had timers on them for ages now, user

I tried several distros, none of them werked on my machine, The issue is that everything is fine but after the OS has booted, the Intel Integrated Graphics (tm) driver does not work and the display turns off, I tried nomodeset, noapic, nolapic, noitems, etc.
Antergos worked from Live USB via selecting "Text Mode" in the resolutions menu in the GRUB, and then it boots normally into GNOME, however, after installing it in my PC it has the same issue all other distros had

Have you tried with the vga=normal kernel parameter (usually used in addition to nomodeset)?

Honestly I'd use a personal compilebox / binhost if I was ever going to run Gentoo on a laptop.

HOLY SHIT IT WERKED

thank you very much user!

I've definitely considered net compiling with my desktop but then I'd have to reboot it into linux every time I needed to update my laptop

How do I fix pic related ? Basically the prompt is the red thing and the following text is some trash text that came here when I scrolled back to see past commands and that doesn't move, isn't erasable and not even read by the terminal.
For the record, it's a bash prompt with a customized PS1="\e[0;31m$ in \w >> \e[m"

Post custom bash terminal prompts

I have a vanilla one but want some inspiration. What are some cool things you can do?

Just get a cheap VPS or something.

Remember guys that any client can run arbitrary commands when connected to distcc host!

Anyone have a good guide for installing rmarkdown to use in vim?

My screen isn't getting turned off on inactivity, it goes black instead with the backlight and cursor still visible. This used to work fine before, so I'm assuming some update caused it. Running pretty much fresh Ubuntu 16.04. Any idea what could the problem be? Google isn't helping much.

My friend wants to use KDE, what's a good distro for it these days? Bonus points for being stable.

kubuntu LTS
kde neon stable version (based on ubuntu LTS)

Sounds like a systemd problem which is also probably why you can't find any information on it. Systemd is a magical secret garden that nobody really understands and it's that way by design.

So good luck.

Does anyone here use mastodon? I saw someone a while back was using a terminal client for it and I'm now wondering what the name of it was. Of course I can just start picking some randomly from a web search and trying them, but I'm wondering if someone with experience can save me some time.

\[\033]0;\u@\h:\w\007\]\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]
Default on Gentoo

Nevermind, I think it was called tootstream

Try using
\[\e[0;31m\]$ in \w >> \[\e[m\]

I am testing tshark (just by curiosity) But it is a mess in the way it display infos, someone know how to set it more "human" readable ?

Thanks, it seems to be working !

Is there a wiki for all the different desktop environments?

What distro would work if I wanted to run Wayland on a Pentium M (32bit, 1.6GHz)?

If you suggest Gentoo, can I run distcc on a 64bit modern server to compile everything and are there some common problems?

>If you suggest Gentoo, can I run distcc on a 64bit modern server to compile everything and are there some common problems?
Yes, just set up a chroot env using the 686 stage3

Do you want to install programs but dont want to solve dependencies?
Are you using a source based distro but you are in a rush and need a program ASAP?
Are you a programmer and want to serve your program to all distros but dont like the hassle?

Use AppImages! i.ytimg.com/vi/nzZ6Ikc7juw/0.jpg
Do you want a program but you will use it once and remove it immediately afterwards?

Find your favorite program around:
appimage.github.io/apps/
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/AppImages
bintray.com/probono/AppImages

My ubuntu mate installation started to boot into initframfs or something like that related with busybox, how do i fix it?

Also, there is any reason to avoid canonical distros?

>Do you want to install programs but dont want to solve dependencies?

Shill appimage as much as you want, but don't lie in the face of people
Appimages HAVE external dependencies. The average desktop GNU/Linux distro user will not notice this, because these deps are usually in every desktop metapackage.
However if you use a minimal/custom setup or use a source based distro where you tell which features get compile or not (like gentoo USE flags) there is a good chance that you will have to install extra package(s) (essentially bloat) to run appimages.

Source: tried to run the spotify webapp appimage on Gentoo, I had to install two libraries to run it. Said libs were not present because my current desktop profile didn't pull them in. One of them was libselinux.

distcc is one big security hole, remember to allow only listening to localhost and connect over SSH tunnel
In my case crossdev did the job
>canonical
We all should not use it.
Actually they dont install spyware in unity but to use ubuntu core you need ((((ubuntu one)))) account to use damn SSH.

Ok boys I'm trying to start my own company, and I'm doing research into competing products in the space. Do you guys know of any free software tool that can help me organize my research, like let me aggregate and tag all of my research, documents, contacts, etc.?

>Ubuntu Core requires a cloud account for SSH
What the polka dotted fuck is this?

I decided that I will use Manjaro as my first Distro. Now I am uncertain to which DE I should use. i3, XFCE or KDE?

KDE

alright, thanks

>I decided that I will use Manjaro as my first Distro
I would like to hear your reason(s) why.

Is there a distro/environment that looks like win95/98? Or a Desktop environment that are easy to rice?

I was too retarded to install Artix.

dude, literally enter
>how to make linux look like windows 95
in any search engine, you will get videos, tutorials, whatever you want for multiple window managers and desktop envs

What should I use to find what programs are using the network? My bandwidth monitor today is showing a constant 15-30kb/s with no programs open and I want to find out what it is.

# lsof -i
If it shows nothing try rkhunter
And learn nftables...

By # i mean as root!

I'm new to ubuntu, how do I rice it?

What did lsof show?

just be yourself bro

But I want to pimp my loonix, also nice trips.

I am having trouble installing Manjaro. It is the same problem that occured while I tried to install Artix. I will post an image soon.

>installer tries to find the installation media using disk label
Did you use unetbootin/rufus or anything similar to make your bootable USB drive? Because they create a custom disk label for them. Change the label of the device to MJRO1715 and see if it works.

will do.

Guys, noob question here. I want to try a new distro which is not Ubuntu. Which one should I choose, I want it to have latest packages and kde desktop. Is fedora a good pick?

opensuse

Give linux mint a try.

By the time I saw this it stopped, but thanks. I'll know what to do in the future! Now it just shows dhcpcd.

it werked. thanx

>Manjaro
Install real distros, not toys.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_environment#List_of_desktop_environments

The only one you need to know is Xfce.

>Xfce

Xfce is good but i've fall in love with that Mate shit. weird feelings.

also anything wayland is a piece of shit, don't even matter to try.

oh, i would probable stay on Kdesktop if was not for wood computers like mine

What was the other dependency? Maybe I can get away with a lot of dependency heavy apps if that's all.

I still prefer Xfce over The Kult® for new computers. Xfce interface doesn't feel like someone just wanted to add as many options as possible.
Mate is good, I just happen to prefer Xfce.
Why do you say that about wayland?

>Why do you say that about wayland?

cos nothing works good under, and all that opengl nightmare is not ending soon

Thanks

>I want it to have latest packages and kde desktop
Arch if you wanna do everything manually, Manjaro, openSUSE Tumbleweed. Fedora has a little older packages but it's close to those three as well

Also consider wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager if you want to try something different

Hello guys! I bump this thread to ask something.
I'm the user who yesterday was messing around with iptables and LXC trying to make torrent a little more secure. I was researching all day around LXC and its mountpoints, directories shares and shared devices, and seems that unless I go full privilege container I can't share the disk where I have the torrents saved.

BUT, I think I read that some hypervisor called Proxmox lets unprivileged containers do that. I say I think because I didn't test it and maybe it could end up with same result. My doubt is if in your personal experience, you will go Enterprise Virtualization (they say they are) to just a few containers.

What do you think? Thank you anons.

Why does my Fedora take so long to start up? It is like 30 seconds to load the greeter and then 10 seconds to load the desktop after I input password. Windows, installed on the same drive, starts up in like 15 seconds.

>tfw Firefox Quantum overrides website-provided fonts
My app looks like shit now.

>tfw this has been a setting in firefox default settings for atleast 15 years

>mrw I look and it was already disabled
Literally no idea why it's doing this. My app is the only thing it's doing it to, and the fonts are loading properly. Works on Chrome/Chromium and all my previous tests in Windows.

are you currently dual booting windows and fedora or are you comparing the bootup times from when you only had windows installed vs only fedora?

systemd-analyze blame
And the other systemd-analyze functions.

>using Kali Linux
>occasionally connect my smartphone to computer to transfer files via MTP
>update Kali today
>now when I connect phone, Kali immediately locks screen, and even if I enter credentials, it unlocks but immediately re-locks itself
>Kali acts normally again when I unplug phone
>no further updates to pull right now

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Try using a non-meme distro.

I'm running fedora 27 and I get this error on boot:

Failed to start load kernel modules
See, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, for details

I ran the command and got this. Is it fixed? The one [ failed ] is triggering my autism

This screenshot says the respective service is working fine, that's all I can see in it.

It seems okay. Not everything that fails is an error. patch-buggy-hardware-if-present.service is the kind of thing that fails if said hardware is not present.

Since it did start afterward, there might have been some dependency problem. A service that systemd-modules-load.service depended on hadn't been started due to, say, some hardware problem.

Of course there is the possibility that it's a bug and that the service did start correctly. Check dmesg to see if that is the case.

Have you been getting this error since installing Fedora? Did it appear after installing some module? Does something not work?

Don't use a pre-alpha operating system.

> patch-buggy-hardware-if-present.service is the kind of thing that fails if said hardware is not present
I wonder why Fedora wrote that script that way then. Seems weird to me.

>Don't use a pre-alpha operating system.

> pre-alpha
Fedora 27 was released months ago last November.

Fedora is always pre-alpha and things always break. Use something more stable, such as Ubuntu LTS, Debian Stable, CentOS or OpenPepe.

I use Ubuntu 17.10, but initially installed back in the day of 16.10, before the switch from swap partitions to swap files. I have a swap partition on my ssd, but I have noticed on system monitor that swap is off. I can manually re-enable it in gparted, but it is always disabled to begin with when I start up the system. I just took a look through fstab and didn't see anything pertaining to swap, though I don't know whether or not you typically would see that in fstab.

Fedora is stable as long as you don't mess with it too much

Only thing that comes to mind is CaseFile but it's software meant to organize case notes for things like law enforcement.

Just checked. You can use the old stable of Fedora, at the moment 26. It will be updated until the release of 28. There will be less bugs.

Actually, I was incorrect in saying that there's nothing in /etc/fstab about swap. I'm just going to dump my fstab here since it's short

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
#
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=e73c812e-27e1-4075-ac2c-0c4a80188704 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=9274-A2F8 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
#UUID=68e1055e-aa2f-4b60-b7a9-17f209b0251c none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb3 none swap sw 0 0
UUID=A2C2530EC252E5D7 /media/Data/hdd ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
UUID=521906820C25414D /media/Data/hddgame ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
UUID=40F4DCCF290A5ED3 /media/Data/ssdshared ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

Anything enlightening here? The lines at the end are those I added manually for my other permanent partitions.

>I'm just going to dump my fstab here
heh... nothing personal kid

If just type swapon -a it activates? Or do you have to specify the partition?

It is dual booted.

graphical.target @22.336s
└─multi-user.target @22.336s
└─systemd-logind.service @16.138s +115ms
└─nss-user-lookup.target @16.137s
└─sssd.service @8.578s +7.558s
└─basic.target @7.800s
└─sockets.target @7.800s
└─avahi-daemon.socket @7.800s
└─sysinit.target @7.798s
└─systemd-update-utmp.service @7.762s +35ms
└─auditd.service @7.348s +412ms
└─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @7.217s +129ms
└─fedora-import-state.service @7.028s +187ms
└─local-fs.target @7.026s
└─boot.mount @6.770s +255ms
└─systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-61f29521\x2dbb32\x2d43b5\x2d921f\x2d79bf8e6c049f.service @6.247s +480ms
└─local-fs-pre.target @6.244s
└─lvm2-monitor.service @2.304s +3.739s
└─lvm2-lvmetad.service @5.844s
└─lvm2-lvmetad.socket @2.301s
└─-.slice

The culprit was journal-flush-service first, I fixed that one, then it was firewalld, so I switched to iptables, now we have sssd as the bottleneck but I can't find much about this one.

What are the dependencies for apt-get? I just want to install it on Gentoo, because I can.

I disabled sssd because I don't think I'm using any of its benefits. Now we are here:

Startup finished in 1.019s (kernel) + 3.532s (initrd) + 20.529s (userspace) = 25.081s

graphical.target @20.520s
└─multi-user.target @20.520s
└─chronyd.service @12.424s +1.848s
└─livesys.service @7.866s +3.939s
└─basic.target @7.849s
└─sockets.target @7.849s
└─sssd-kcm.socket @7.849s
└─sysinit.target @7.848s
└─systemd-update-utmp.service @7.812s +35ms
└─auditd.service @7.404s +406ms
└─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @7.233s +151ms
└─fedora-import-state.service @7.032s +199ms
└─local-fs.target @6.994s
└─run-media-chiggins-Windows.mount @6.378s +615ms
└─local-fs-pre.target @6.377s
└─lvm2-monitor.service @2.381s +3.781s
└─lvm2-lvmetad.service @5.922s
└─lvm2-lvmetad.socket @2.379s
└─-.slice

What are the top two entries? Is that when the greeter becomes visible or when the desktop becomes visible, or what?

how many distros have had their communities infested with sjw fanatics?

Here is the plot, I don't really know what I'm looking at here.
svgur.com/s/5d5