Send my CV to every job listing I can find

>send my CV to every job listing I can find
>finally start getting emails back
>get past the first phone interview and go to an in-person interview
>HR person giving the interview is going over my skills
>"so I see here that you wrote 'GNU/Linux' under skills. care to tell my why you think GNU is so important that you would list it before the kernel?"
>so shocked that all I could say was "b-b-but RMS said..."
>"thanks, we'll call you."

Nobody gives a fuck about GNU/Linux nomenclature except RMS.

>get resume today for a phone interview for a software engineer position
>candidate lists that they play League of Legends and Hearthstone in the interests section.

el oh fucking el, who seriously does this?

ITT things that never happened, part 73373117459th.

why the fuck not, kinda autistic but then again he's a software engineer

The candidate's experience is light, video games have *nothing* to do with the job, many hiring managers look down on video games, and even in cases where it doesn't actively hurt you it's extremely unlikely to help you.

I play video games. The work my employer/team/I do has nothing to do with video games. I'm not going to list that I play game XYZ on my resume, nor am I going to ask a candidate about it if they list it on their resume.

In the best case you get someone like me who ignores it. In the worst case a recruiter or hiring manager views it as detrimental and you don't get picked.

unrelated to the OP but should I put my middle name on my resume? Without my middle name (Alejandro), potential employers wouldn't know that I am a minority unless I checked a box somewhere in the application process. From what I hear being a minority helps during the application process.

In the US, that'd be the choice of the candidate. Most candidates choose not to.

For my employer it wouldn't make a difference. If you come through the recruiting portal, we ask. If you talk to a recruiter in person or by phone, it's generally obvious, or you can mention it. If you get a direct referral, then you'll get an interview anyways. HR does not tell us anything about the demographic information when we conduct interviews, we just get a name and your resume.

The only area where including your middle name might be helpful is to distinguish you from another candidate on online results. For most names, your first + last name plus your university makes you easy to find on LinkedIn and any mentions on your university's website.

If you don't have any extra qualification to list and need something as a bit of a gap closer you can list video games just fine. You can make some pretty solid arguments for softskills using them if you played the right ones and can articulate it well. I remember when I just started out I included WoW in mine because I was raid leading and organizing for one of the best EU guilds at the time. Of course you shouldn't just throw in "I play WoW 12 hours a day LOOOOL", but if you use it as a concrete example on how you were able to get your hands wet and gather first experiences leading others and being responsible for more than just yourself, things like that, it can come over very well. Just make sure you aren't a sperg about it and articulate your arguments well without seeming overly excited about the game itself if you are asked about it.

Obviously ideally you'd not include interests whatsoever and populate your CV with cold hard facts, but especially if you don't have a bunch of experience yet that can end up looking pretty bleak and empty.

WoW was a bit different because it gained a reputation of having gigantic guilds with banks of guild inventory, difficult quests with 40+ people where you had to manage filling the positions with the right people (sort of like staffing), managing loot and disputes, keeping people together and from fighting (diplomacy), etc... it also kind of started the "list video games on your resume as experience" trend.

You can fill out the responsibilities as a guild leader or someone high up enough in a guild to make it obvious to a non-video gamer that the skills are transferrable to a workplace.

You can't really do that by saying you play League and Hearthstone.

>not reciting the pasta from memory
Your fault only

You could talk about Team Play for League, maybe shit like Risk Management/ Statistics for Hearthstone?
I don't really play either of those two but I'm sure there is "something" you can make up that sounds plausible and will put you in a good light. Then again I'm sure there's other shit he could have made up that wouldn't have included video games in the first place, so if you really need to think about what benefits your favorite game could give you there really isn't much point.

This guy is actively trying to justify putting video games on a resume.

I'm fucking dying.

HR cunt here, I disagree.

Worked for me back when ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The guy has prior experience at my employer (different department) and another good co-op at a startup. The resume is sparse but he just lists his major and then three separate projects he did throughout his bachelors.The candidate speaks 5 languages with varying proficiency.

The candidate lists the video games as being a member of the relevant student society for said video games without any other explanation. I guess it counts as an extracurricular but it's really stretching the definitions.

I guess what I'm saying is listing the video games is totally irrelevant, and that the applicant's resume is just poorly thought out. Which is a shame because looking at some of the actual projects themselves, they're interesting. The story that the candidate's resume tells doesn't do it justice.

it's just sad really.

should have said that you need the GNU to compile the kernel.

>interests section
>have *nothing* to do with the job
An interests section for me makes no sense outside of academic environment, where you list what you like to work on, in first place. Since you apply for a specific job you are expected to be interested about it. I guess he copied a template and went filled this section as well instead of removing it.

Speaking of job woes
>Have shit tier phone interview with pajeet who couldn't talk English
>don't hear back from company almost been a week
>look on website
>his position is now open along with a lot more
>someone did pest control
>debating if I should use this opportunity to talk to HR to get a face to face interview for the position I applied for or his have all the qualifications and have actually interviewed people
Is it worth it?

If you think you'd have fun doing it, why not?

I told this story before but we received an application by a guy who had a special section in his CV called "media / press" in which he listed articles about him being thrown in jail for uploading movies

is this serious? should I put my touhou clears on my resume too?

Yes, and print screenshots of your scores and put them in the envelope. Justify it with "Lunatic-level hand-eye coordination abilities".

i would hire you

>we received an application by a guy who had a special section in his CV called "media / press" in which he listed articles about him being thrown in jail for uploading movies
what was the job listing for?

>Not filling your CV with various anime
It's like you don't want your boss to know about your superior taste in Japanese high culture.

>interview with major aerospace company
>entry level supply requirements engineer
>basically making sure all the parts from subcontractors actually meet the demands of comapny, talk with various departments, etc.
>told ahead of time that it will be structured STAR interview
>3 guys in room where I am going to interview
>feeling pretty good, have stories about past experience ready for the behavioral questions
>interview starts
>"Tell us of a time you handled supply requirements in a technical manner. Be sure to describe your documentation process and how you worked with the supplier on the process"
>wut.jpg
>"Well in school I handled some purchasing requests for getting new equipment for the lab and had custom parts designed to certain specs by our machine lab"
>interviews look not entertained and just nod along
>3 more questions just like this, basically wanting me to describe times I have done this entry-level job already
>zero behavioral questions
>job description didn't even specify that I needed this type of background at all, just a technical one with good interpersonal skills
>squeeze through interview talking up all my accomplishments as much as possible
>ask some basic questions about what the job would directly entail, training, etc.
>interview ends
>ask when I might hear back
>main interviewer says normally they offer the job on this spot, but they are going to have to think about this one
>thank them for their time and leave

They had my resume and clearly knew that I hadn't done what they were looking for, not sure why they called me in for an in-person interview

web dev

This.

If you're interested in the position, go for it. Call up their HR or whoever.
>Hi, I'm user. I had a phone interview a few days ago with (insert pajeet name). According to your website, he/she is no longer with the company. I am still interested in the position. How do we move forward from this point?

What do you want me to put? Far right Mongolian puppet forums?

Do you have *any* interests or membership in clubs/societies on campus that aren't just playing video games? If you don't have that much that's related, you can omit the section entirely.

Seriously though, if you guys are listing video games to fill space to go the campus career center and they will help you polish up your resume.

Meh.

When I interviewed at the company I'm currently working for (though different department) I told them about me wrangling 110 autists into 2 equal 40 man raids from early Classic to end of BC in WoW. They actually asked for character names and if I could verify that.

see WoW is kind of different. WoW due to the scale of MMORPG and need to organize raids/guilds, that's an actual accomplishment.

Shit is it ok to put down that I managed tournaments for a video game store? They were low on business and it was a decent advertising strategy that actually brought in revenue

I put GNU/Linux on my resume and nobody mentioned it at the interview :(

if it was part of a job or volunteer activity, yeah. it requires you to actually do something other than stare at a TV/computer with a controller/keyboard & mouse.

they didn't know what it was

Oh, right. Didn't read the rest of the thread before posting. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that got me the job in the first place.

Yeah I worked there managed money flow set up dates and managed a live stream with video recordings and bracket setup didn't actually play though

I have GNU/Linux written on my resume and no one has ever talked about it. I remember enough of the pasta and shitpost enough that I could talk about it for an entire hour.
It helps if you recite the pasta to normies in real life like your friends when they try to 'get linux'. Also using linux exclusively for over a decade, I'm just waiting for someone to try and argue about it with me.

>b-b-but RMS said--
I'm also not a faggot that would let some HR bitch cut me off like that. Grow some balls soyboy

A lot of companies have minimum limits on how many people they have to interview. An other option could have been that they had an internal candidate but needed to invite outsiders as well

I have GNU/Linux written on my resume and no one has ever talked about it. I remember enough of the pasta and shitpost enough that I could talk about it for an entire hour.
It helps if you recite the pasta to normies in real life like your friends when they try to 'get linux'. Also using linux exclusively for over a decade, I'm just waiting for someone to try and argue about it with me.

>b-b-but RMS said--
I'm also not a faggot that would let some HR bitch cut me off like that. Grow some balls soyboy

>b-b-but RMS said--

>Do you have *any* interests or membership in clubs/societies on campus that aren't just playing video games?
Yes, but theyre NSFW

List them as
>too radical for the workplace

> From what I hear being a minority helps during the application process.
That's a lie. I'm a minority and have had shit luck for getting interviews at all. Being a minority hasn't helped at all, it might even be hurting me.

Being a minority has nothing to do with it.

If you apply at a large company, you will be lucky to get through the door for an initial interview unless your resume is absolutely fantastic. Your resume will generally automatically be weighted by computer, then the highest scoring resumes reviewed by a human recruiter. Recruiters are not the most technical people generally.

From there it goes to the hiring manager who reviews resumes and decides who will be interviewed.

Problem is, a lot of the resumes never make it to the hiring manager.

So here is what you do:

1) Have your resume reviewed by your campus' career center, and then by a couple of your profs. Opinions are like assholes and people will have slightly different ones but the end result will be a more polished resume.

2) Print your resume on heavier paper stock at your campus' print center. If your campus does not have a print center, send it to Staples or FedEx Office.

3) Go to your campus' career fair in suit and tie and walk up to companies offering jobs in your areas (good career fairs will interest the areas that employers are interested in). This allows you to make an impression with the recruiter, explain your resume, and skip the machine for an interview.

4) If you are in good relationships with your profs, you can ask them for a letter of recommendation to include with job applications (it is the professor's right to decline). Also, many of the professors have industry contacts - alumni who were prior students, contacts from when they were in the professional world, etc. - and they can get you a referral.

5) Flex personal family friends too, as they can refer you too.

6) Use your university career portal as they will favor candidates within the university pool over externals.

Story time (personal experience) in a moment.

here

>be a high school student
>apply to 13 universities, accepted into 8
>must choose whether to take comp sci or business IT (Management information systems)
>pick MIS

>sophomore year
>looking for a summer internship
>struggling like hell
>family friend works at a large pharma company
>refers me to internship program (them listed as referral)
>two internships, two offers from the company
>accept one

>junior year
>fucking struggling to get a second internship for the following summer
>even getting interviews
>prof in major used to work at software company
>based on prof's recommendation and resume, software company pays thousands of dollars for me to attend their conference
>finally just before I fly home from the conference, the pharma company offers an internship interview and offers a job

>start of senior year
>the software company keeps calling me for job interviews but I tell them I'm not in a "two weeks notice" position because I'm graduating in spring
>go to career fairs and meet tons of recruiters
>more than a dozen interviews with different companies. phone interviews start the next week
>by november I've had multiple in person interviews and offers

>software company can't commit to a job but can offer me an internship during my last semester of uni
>I accept that because they're hoping to offer full time
>prof's word is still considered gospel at the software company because she was well known (and it is a large company too, not some within two months I'm offered full time employment
>been there for over six years now

The strength of a personal network cannot be overstated. Profs and profs that can put you in touch with prior students in the professional world are an amazing resource. I had a half dozen alums helping me seek my professional career too, and I've repaid that favor in turn to newer graduates as they are working on their education.

In today’s world having something stand out is worth the risk even if it can be perceived negative. If you put Touhou in your interests lists beside the normie things like football it will at the very least draw a question out of the interviewer. Loading up your resume with video game stuff isn’t advised but a single word at the very bottom can be the one thing that starts a conversation which will land you a job.

Being part of the campus men's choir was a huge foot in the door for many of my interviews surprisingly.

1) A lot of people love to sing and you often go on trips to perform, which are life experiences to talk about.
2) People who were part of them or musical groups know how social they are, like frats minus a lot of the hazing, and how much partying they do. The inside joke was always that the choir was a "drinking group with a singing problem".

Sports are good, but a lot of people in a position to hire don't look favorably upon most video games, even in IT.. I would hestitate to list groups about video games *unless* you have leadership experience in them or the gameplay experience itself (e.g. WoW Guild master) is easy to translate to a layman as something that has transferable skills to the workforce.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I'm an engineering student looking for a part-time summer job, preferably engineering related but I don't mind as long as it's at least minimum wage and isn't retail, any ideas lads?

>I'm an engineering student looking for a part-time summer job, preferably engineering related but I don't mind as long as it's at least minimum wage and isn't retail, any ideas lads?
post a pic of your ass

did you hire him?

You joke but it's a serious problem. Getting to an interview is hard. What do I have to do

I have two shitty personal projects and 3 academic projects. Classes are getting hard so I don't have time anymore and summer is around the corner.
I failed.

>not writing Android instead
>not getting job after one CV sent

Was a different team but the lead didn't even invite him (which I would have done)

>study MIS, CS, healthcare
>have connections in healthcare industry
>instant internship
>instant job

feels good