Does the Windows phone offer any significant advantages over Android/IOS?

Does the Windows phone offer any significant advantages over Android/IOS?

Thinking of getting one to replace my old phone.

It's a dead platform

>this thread

It's literally fucking dead.

F

It has a cleaner UI
There is a new Surface Phone coming out soon so whatever

>nokia

>he uses breakable phones
>he gets datamoned by Google
>he doesn't like 41MP cameras

does windows viruses work on it?

Unfortunately MS abandonned it.

>tfw switched to android last month
>it's garbage
I miss my windows phone.

no
fucking
apps

Need a chat program for work? Probably unavailable or there's a buggy, first version that hasn't been updated in 4 years.
Want to play some mobile games? The one you're looking for doesn't exist, but there's an ad-filled knockoff made by a pimply tween in India.
Want to watch a video on YouTube? You'll have to use the mobile browser.

It’s been dead m8, Microsoft’s just been stringing along their user base for the past couple of years. Treated their customers like shit in all honesty. Nadella and Belfiore are plain cowards.

Yes, I’m sour.

It's dead, Jim.

Sad that people didn't give it traction because muh apps and shit.
>Android is complete mess
>Apple is just no
I guess I'll end up with a dumbphone

advantages:
+good looking ui

disadvantages:
-no apps
-your friends and family will laugh at you

basically a glorified dumbphone.

This is the ideal camera phone body, you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Too bad I broke the lens on the camera by mistake, I got an S6 to replace it but it's just not the same.

I'm actually thinking of getting it, but a bit afraid of buying through auction sites and so on.

Today people often claim the new phones are best cameras ever, but it's full of shit, the optical performance is demonstrably worse, they just add all sorts of ugly sharpening that is harmfull in the end. True detail is still much better in the 1020, when you look at proper tests.

It was the best smartphone I had, but had to leave it because dead platform and no google services (needed the fucking google authenticator to unlock some money).
Interface-wise is one step above android, two above iOs.

This
How does Apple and Google even compete?

Guess my location

Van Siclen ave & Cozine Ave bus stop in Eastern jew york ?

Yep
On my way back to my apartment in Brooklyn

>Does the Windows phone offer any significant advantages over Android/IOS?

No apps, no market share, no noteworthy community, no active development.

On the bright side, the botnet isn't getting updated.

>the botnet isn't getting updated.
>doing any non PC shit on a phone

I seriously hope Android babbies aren't posting here rn while logged in.
Enjoy the blacklists when Google rats you out.

Honestly, I've been a WP user from it's first iterations, but this past generation I switched over. I used my 950xl for over a year before I finally gave up on it and bought a shitty $70 android phone on amazon. Used that for about 6 months before buying the Galaxy S8 Active and I'm enjoying it so far. REALLY wish that Microsoft had put a little bit more effort into it's mobile platform because the UI / Live Tiles has always been a favorite of mine. Even now I use "metro" themes on my apps and I switched my keyboard / emojis style to the old Windows style.

Same problem with blackberry and their BB10 OS. They were too late to enter the game. Same with sailfish, meego, tizen, etc

Lumia 1020 master race reporting. No reason to switch because apps are for iToddlers and Androidtards. I have 8.1 on the phone now. It runs 10 too but is a little slow. Nokia camera, drive and map apps on 8.1 are the best out there still. Browser in 8.1 is actually more compatible these days on the web then it used to be. Edge in 10 is the best browser though. I don't care how much faggots rage that Win Phone is dead. They are just jealous that their modern $800-1000 peice of shit aplel and android trash phones still can't compete.

Nah, MS actually held viable position for a time. Windows 8.1 particularly can't be compared to all those doomed platform that never had chance. They fucked up by cancelling like 10 Lumia phones they actually had developed and finished (it's amazing how many cancelled tablets and phones WIndows Central has at this point, ffs). When there were no phones on sale, duh the platform withered.

Nokia Camera is the GOAT.

Are there any others which can even compete with over 40 MP quality?

I really miss my 1520.

640 owner here.
protip: DON'T.
Have a good day.

I miss my 640.

More limitations than applel and low battery li-

who the fuck buy that shit os??

It wasn't nearly as terrible as Android.

Hint: app cache and bloat cleaning

Just get an android, IPhones are overpriced garbage and you can at least do development on it.

If you're concerned about the camera, 8MP is adequate to take pictures, anything else is overkill unless you're a journalist or can't afford an actual camera.

It's not about megapixels, the quality of the photos comes from the size of the sensor. That's what puts the 1020 in another league.

the japanese company freetel makes windows 10 phones now, you can buy them online but they have garbage fucking specs.

Andrew?

How does data get moned?

Kevin??

I like the interface of my Lumia 735
Dunno if Winphones are definitively dead

>Maemo died for this
F

Dude...

>windows phone

That picture looks like shit.

Nah

>tfw left my 1020 charging on the floor and accidentally stepped on it and cracked the lens

S-Should I throw it away or can I fix it?
I loved that camera too.

tfw when I wanted MeeGo so bad

Still better than the botnets.

Sad but true.

/thread

they would die anyway, all those linux projects were mismanaged and chaotic as fuck and would fail

It's a bad thing though because what prevailed (android) is terrible (and humongously bloated) pile of hack

Windows phone just works you retards. There isn't any reason not to use one besides trendy meme app shit.

>opens picture on a phone browser
>wah it looks like shit
Another retard rears their ugly head

lol

>What are security updates
Also you can't root and install a meme OS like you can with Android phones.

Why would they rat us out for?

Me too, Android is the shittiest OS I've ever used in my life

Then you haven't used many OS

Literally the only saving grace of Windows Phones are the Lumia camera and the fact that they're not a giant botnet like Google or Apple.

Apps are a myth since the MS store sucks
Youtube crashes often
>Internet Explorer on any platform or any year

It's only good for contrarians but that's $300 on a glorified camera which can make calls and go on the internet
t. Lumia owner

Not likely. There was one flirting with release in 2014, but thats gone away now...

plants, trees, vegetation is the hardest photo stuff nowadays, all the phones that have shit sensors but cover up with digital filtering really show their weaknesses there, the greenery becomes all distorted and unnatural due to the sharpening and NR. AFAIK Lumia 1020 should still be best for that.

I loved WP. Interface and some app design was easier to use than iOS/Android, Windows integration, phones themselves were dirt cheap with great audio and cameras for the time period.

A surface-something that also makes calls it's coming out soon, it's supposed to be a foldable thing, to be used with a pen and stuff like that. I think it'll run on windows 10 on arm. it's codename is andromeda.

It works great as a brick

It works great as a brick

I'm on my second Android flagship and I still miss my HTC 8S like you wouldn't believe.
Everything from the layout to the built in utilities made it seem like it was meant to be used at a Smartphone, not a fucking tablet that also happens to make phone calls.

You are wrong about YouTube user. They are some good apps like tubecast and they work pretty well.

Modern dumbphones are android tho

If you use your phone for calling, messaging, email, calendar, photos, light browsing then it is an option.

It comes with everything out of the box, no third party shit optimised apps required. Keeps everything synced with OneDrive.

Clean and fast UI requires lower spec phones, reducing cost, no lag, etc.

I'm not even from India, and am very satisfied with my Lumia650. Any ideas where can I find OEM batteries?

I've had about 6/7 windows phones from 2012 onwards. WP 8.1 was the GOAT and MS killed it with WP10. It was fast, the camera was fantastic, the batteries lasted for fucking ages (the HTC Elite X3 was the first phone ive had since smartphones came out where the battery would last a week), they were easy to use and very customization. Contrary to popular belief MS did everything they could to get app devs to port their paedo enabling junk onto the platform but they were too busy making rehashed shite for itunes/google play or couldn't get Rajesh to learn the platform.

from a business perspective they were also perfect - sturdy, cheap, support the MS office ecosystem and easy to deploy, unlike iPhone. Also
>no gaymes
Dredd 3D was the fucking tits, you plebs.

>and very customization
>tfw you have become the pajeet
>tfw doing the needful

Tubecast was even updated yesterday to fix a big problem

They have a windiws launcher on android now

>comparing a launcher with the real thing

>using completely bloated launchers made by pajeets

MS is focusing more on their laptop/tablet hybrids, but it looks like even that is leaving the hype train, because tablets are for kids and phablets are the best alternative

the launcher was the only good part about WP, the hardware, the software, the support all sucked dicks

>Internet Explorer on any platform or any year
You should just be using Opera instead.

The Hardware is good too, at least Nokia Windows Phones. They're really tough, durable, good cameras, good battery...

I really miss winphone

>Any ideas where can I find OEM batteries?
Indian webshops.

> (You)
>Tubecast was even updated yesterday to fix a big problem
It's still decent tough.

>the launcher was the only good part about WP, the hardware

Nokia phones were great. I went from using WP to Android, and I had to buy a nearly $300 Android phone to match the audio and camera quality of Lumias that were discounted to $40 on holidays.

It's arm and shouldn't run/expose native windows api so not likely

S

How can you be sure they are original and new (stored good). Can you link an example? Thanks

It's just a functor that takes data as an argument and returns data. It's the prime monoid.

>Any ideas where can I find OEM batteries?
you don't, and this applies to pretty much all phone parts, it's third party chinkshit all the way, even when ebay jerkwads claim they're original parts taken off of used phones

Are you the same poster as before?
I heard that some companies buy original batteries while they are still on sale and store them and the sell them after OEM don't do it anymore.

Lol.. you are 6 years late was the page loading on internet explorer or smth?

Nope WP is no option. Even the native applications run like crap. Used to have a 830 until maybe half a year ago.
Though they stopped the project anyways as far as i know.

If your want your phone to be a phone and not electrical waste you got to stick to android or ios for now. There is a project that works on Ubuntu Phones, but these run like crap as well and feel more as far as i was told like one of these pre smartphone touch mobile phones

I miss the interconnected apps and themes that all flowed together to really make it feel like one solid phone and not just a jumble of apps. The live tiles were a little annoying at times but I think that some tweaks and changes and they would have been probably the best mobile UI to date, it just felt so clean and nice.

I had one. It was seriously the best looking and comfy phone I had. I still replaced it with android because even microsoft thinks it's dead.

Oh look at how contrian and edgy you are! Come downstairs soon, I made your favourite, Hot-Pockets!

unless you want zero control over your phone and likely locked out of your bootloader because of a closed source OS i wouldnt do it my br0. there are zero advantages... i think the menus are smooth though.

Windows phone just makes no sense today.

Vs iphone:
+ not apple
+ can access files through USB
+ Slightly cheaper

- No apps
- No community, developer, accessory support
- No jailbreaking (even if JB sucks)

Vs android
+ "smoother" and "more consistent"

- No apps
- No community, developer, accessory support
- No customization, no sideloading
- no rooting, custom roms and modifying
- Less hardware options

Windows phone was stillborn because MS made a low risk high reward play. MS tried to get full control over the platform, apple style but the phones were still as expensive as the competition.

They could have sold phones at a loss, making it a high risk high reward play but with a much greater chance to break into the market. Users = apps.

They could have made it a open platform, leading to lower rewards but again a greater chance of breaking into the market. Essentially turning it into a android distro, like they planned to, would have accelerated this a lot.

Is there any phone with a better camera than the 1020?

This thread is making me think of replacing my phone now.

Windows Phone peaked early with WP7. They diluted the high-concept design to make it more like Android, but that didn't magically save it. They also did a terrible job of curating the market, resulting in something that made Google Play look good. It hurt the already meager number of good apps out there. Fast forward to today and you have blogs telling devs targeting Microsoft's store to not focus on Windows 10 Mobile.

It's a shame how the whole thing went down because the UI was lovely.

>the UI was lovely.

too bad they shoehorned it into everything windows and did a shitty job of it in the process