Ad blocking

Ads have become beyond horrible. They're unsolicited, annoying, are used to spy on you, and may even contain malicious payloads.

How do you guys block ads? I'm using my own DNS resolver with an ad blocking file on my router [1]. Very useful for devices which I can't run an ad blocker on directly, such as my phone, or guest devices when I got friends and family over.

I'm considering Privoxy [2] to go a step further but I haven't had any experience with it yet. Maybe anyone here has any experience with it?

[1] github.com/jodrell/unbound-block-hosts
[2] privoxy.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jodrell/unbound-block-hosts
jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockProtector/
cvedetails.com/product/19997/Google-Android.html?vendor_id=1224
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just install unlock Origin in all of your browsers, it's the easiest way to block them.

Dude, you don't get it at all. First of all, not all Internet traffic flows through your web browser. Especially on phones, apps don't pass through your imaginary web browser with an ad blocker (this is where Privoxy piqued my interest, remember?)

Secondly, we don't own the devices of friends and family. Yet it'd be nice to protect them without the need to manage them. Either using DNS, or going a step further with a privacy enhancing proxy.

I use adaway in my phone and I have installed an adblock in every device of my family.
I prefer adblock add-ons because of the ability to enable or disable them with a click and the element picker. Plus gorhill is a bro for personally adding Hiromoot's scripts in the blacklist.

I'm not in the habit of rooting and compromising my or anyone else's phone to install a mere adblocker. Furthermore, I'm not going to spend my free time installing

The Internet is horrible enough already, but wouldn't it be nice to just have your network increase your and your guests' privacy without the need to maintain any end devices? Give that some thought while you're installing ad blockers on all the devices you connect to your network.

Go back to

This has nothing to do with video games, you inbred.

I used to use abp but it didnt stop addblock blockers on some websites anymore regardles of what i did with it. Ublock worked straight from the bat.

Look into setting up a pihole. Relatively cheap and better than blocking straight from your router.

Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender

God, Ads are fucking cancer, i use Ublock Origin to defense against them.

In Android, Facebook and Instagram ads still fuck me.

How would that be different than blocking ad domains using github.com/jodrell/unbound-block-hosts ?

How is that different from any other ad blocker extension?

mostly the slick management screen and stats

I.e. bloat?

Nano defender works better with Nano Adblock and since the latter is a fork of uBock Origin they're pretty similar anyway.
jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockProtector/

He forgot to mention you can add multiple host blocks. Much easier to keep up to date than a router solution.

But I have no use for yet another ad blocker web browser extension when I want to block ads outside of the browser as well.

>Much easier to keep up to date than a router solution
I simply run the script to fetch an up to date list of domains. Can't get much easier for me than that. I'm still not convinced why I should switch to a Pi-hole which basically does the same thing, yet adds more unnecessary overhead.

>How do you guys block ads?

Adblock Plus

Furthermore, I can even automate the whole process by having a cron job for that. On top of that, my own DNS resolver adds DNSSEC for all my clients.

Multiple hosts files would be the best answer

stay trolled newfag

DNS66 for mobile

i have ublock installed and when i go into threads i'm still getting that pop up ad at the bottom of the page...am i doing something wrong or is it just impossible to block that

What are the differences between nano adblock and uBlock Origin?

What pop up ad?

it says steepto at the bottom right of the ad

nano adblock is a chick fork of uBO. No reason to stray from uBO, at least no reason I could find.

That's a bit better, that would be a plus for Pi-hole. Should I ever see ads coming through my current block list, I might consider Pi-hole again, but I remain sceptical. Any more features I should be aware of?

Web 2.0 was a mistake.

Set up a hardware firewall, there's no need to bother your router with that shit.

>he doesn't visually block ads by removing them at the brain level

You could have your own resolver on your Pi just as easy. Wouldn't make a diff.

Why is this even a fucking thread? Just set up uBlock Origin on your desktop web browser and AdAway on your phone

See

Ublock origin + nano defender. Everything else is objectively inferior in blocking capacity.

See

Your solution doesn't block all ads and can't circumvent adblock-blockers. Who the fuck browses web from his phone at home?

You can merge hosts files too if want.

I block those via hosts file. The ad shows but can't connect.

They still waste space. When I encounter shit I dislike, I add to my hosts files.

> (You)
>Your solution doesn't block all ads and can't circumvent adblock-blockers.
I didn't claim it did, hence this thread.
>Who the fuck browses web from his phone at home?
Friends and family do when they're here.

Ublock origin and adaway on phone, anything else is a bit paranoid

See

Adaway is litterally that, I dont have botnet software on my oc that shows ads

You've neglected roku, google tv, etc

No, it doesn't. Adaway means rooting your phone. Not only is that compromising the security, this isn't even feasible to protect devices of my friends and family.

Again, I'm not looking to manage end devices. I'm looking for solutions that tackle this on the network.

>been blocking ads for at least 8 years
>rarely use other peoples' computers

holy shit is it an experience when i have to use some goy's shitbox for web browsing or youtube
>open browser
>homepage is some randomass search that's tracking everything
>go to website
>entire page is instantly covered with a full screen ad for some shit like a car or mobile app
>close that
>autoplay video that has a video ad at the beginning
>finally get through that
>read halfway through article
>it's broken in multiple spots with ads that are clearly targeted based on whatever the normal user searches for
>finally reach the end of the page
>another auto play ad video that's on the side of the page starts playing
>try to click anywhere on the page
>SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER OR DOWNLOAD OUR APP frame opens again

Why the fuck do normies put up with this shit?
Jews have gone too fucking far with this shit

I dont know what those are
If anyone gets access to my phone physically then "not rooting" doesnt mean shit anyway.
The family part has a point however there are webapps that dont work with ads blocked such as a local viasat tv channels webapp service, I had to go and disable ublock for tech illiterate dad for that site, if I had to fuck around and disable your way it would be way incovienient, not sure what size of family you have but slapping on ublock for 4 computers and forgettimg about it isn't that inconvient

HEY!

>
>I dont know what those are
> (You)
>If anyone gets access to my phone physically then "not rooting" doesnt mean shit anyway.
Ehm, what about remote compromise through an app with su access?
>The family part has a point however there are webapps that dont work with ads blocked such as a local viasat tv channels webapp service, I had to go and disable ublock for tech illiterate dad for that site, if I had to fuck around and disable your way it would be way incovienient, not sure what size of family you have but slapping on ublock for 4 computers and forgettimg about it isn't that inconvient
You also install ad blockers on all your friends' devices?

>I dont know what those are
Are you posting from 2000? Seriously, who the fuck doesn't have at least one streaming box in 2018?

Not him but I don't a have TV since 2005 so there's no point in streaming boxes.

1. don't use shit apps. Either go full freetard or pay up for adless versions, leech
2. ublock + umatrix

Me

You haven't watched tv is 13 years and you still know what a streaming box is. That other guy really has no excuse then

i live in an apartment and have my computer hooked up directly to tv and a monitor.

Am I expected to manage networks of people who live in different homes? Am I soppose to force them to block ads? I tell them about the bad shit that ads and social media do, its up to them to figure out what they'll do about it
Regarding su access, I dont install random shit and give it access, only a few open source apps from f-droid, I'm not very knowledgable in cyber security so maybe you're right, but once you feel root you never go back.
I'm him, my pc is hooked to the tv with hdmi so I can't see the appeal of botnet boxes, last time I tried any streaming it was shit, high bitrate bluray rips would always play like shit, a kodi box I tried was also shit cause all the repos had shit quality content at best 720p with chinese subs, playing video games had shit latency and felt delayed, that tech is not there yet

> (You)
>Am I expected to manage networks of people who live in different homes? Am I soppose to force them to block ads?
Of course not, but I took it upon myself to protect my own network, and those that use it.
>I tell them about the bad shit that ads and social media do, its up to them to figure out what they'll do about it
I used too, but I don't want to have that discussion when I can simply protect people when they visit me. Saves me from boring them with stuff they don't care about.
>Regarding su access, I dont install random shit and give it access, only a few open source apps from f-droid, I'm not very knowledgable in cyber security so maybe you're right, but once you feel root you never go back.
Well, I am. I exploit vulnerabilities for a living. I know how easy it can be to break into phones that aren't receiving any sec updates for years, and sadly there are plenty of people that use such devices.

uBlock Origin and uMatrix
Optionally nano defender.

DNS66 on phones

Even if I had a TV I wouldn't pay for a shitty streaming device.

Wouldn't you naturally assume someone who roots has the latest android version, pajeets over at lineageos cooked up, installed, last I had looked into it android 6 and up is safe as long as you dont sideload epicmemes.apk

cvedetails.com/product/19997/Google-Android.html?vendor_id=1224

See

So how could an evil hackerman take advantage of those vulnerabilities if I don't install his app?

Yeah, installing lolz.apk would make things considerably easier. Otherwise you'd have to find an outdated phone vulnerable to stagefright and such. Anyway this is way off topic and I'm gonna get some shut-eye now

Does uBlock, by default, block the Sup Forums ads with that obfuscated payload?

You can use a pi as a firewall, you nincompoop.