/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Poorfag Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7126484
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7127497
pcpartpicker.com/list/NWymP3
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&p=1
a.co/aJ39cnh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw surviving on a 1GB DDR2 RAM
I'm not even poor, I'm just too lazy to buy shit.

>AMD poozen

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

r8

>Ass/Cock

Would you convert that to more conventional units?

can someone please explain to me why i should pay $300 for a budget pc when i could spend the same and just buy a ps4 and get 3 free games?

seems to me pc building is dead.

>I'm really poor and can only afford a shitty computer I can modify or a shitty console I can't modify it would seem as though PC is dying

Literally spend more money for a better experience???!!?

Your case looks like a coffee machine.

> Meltel

What sort of single thread performance is second gen Ryzen expected to have? Will it match current Intel?

I'm going for a a 1440p 144hz pc, is there anything i can improve on this computer or anywhere i could save money?
Is 32gb of ram needed?

Any advice welcome.

just the GPU alone is like what 2 ps4's cost...

>hyper 212 evo
>i9 CPU

enjoy your housefire

before
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7126484

after
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7127497

i9 is unneeded for that.
Go to a i7 8700k and you'll save a ton of dosh.

But then you won't have to pay extra to play online on top of your Internet bill.

This better be fucking bait.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NWymP3

I'm looking to build a dedicated HTPC. I have a server for all my storage and movies. This PC will be plugged into a 65" 1080p television. I have 2+ Xbox 360 controllers, and intend to play emulator stuff/indie games. Will the iGPU be enough to push a game like Hollow Knight/Shovel Knight at 60FPS?

no then i'll be paying to rent private servers and also have to run soylent software like discord just to have voice chat.

What's the best thermal paste? I'm thinking about putting some on my GPU since it gets a bit too hot for my liking under full load

need a htpc or something under €300 for my mom but very sceptical to the intel NUCs, and having trouble finding a case and PSU for a custom solution in the same price range that also is similar in size...

suggestions?

Raged and broke monitor. Fuuuu

Yes

Just got a 1050 ti and it doesn't display an image. Windows doesn't detect that anything is connected besides the iGPU. The fan on the card spins up when the pc is booted but that's it. I've set the bios to have the pci express card as the default display but it still doesn't work.

Is the card DOA or is it a problem with my motherboard? Using a asrock z370m itx a/c. I don't have any other PCI cards to test.

I should mention that it doesn't display an image in the bios either when connected to the graphics card.

you're only supposed to connect monitor it to the gpu....

reseat and replug it

At current prices a 1050 is a better option

>$300
Not happening. Anyway you go PC for the options and customization, or for particular games. Not for the poor at this point

Depends on workload. Gaming, no
The R5 2600 will still be great for gaming even if not quite as good as the i5 8400 in current games

Oh no, it's retarded

Looks good for your purposes, could drop to 2200G

It's a fan profile problem probably. Graphics cards are allowed to get pretty hot

Used SFF PC

You're plugged into the graphics card, right? Make sure you attached the 6 pin PCIe connector if it needs one. Not all 1050Ti use mobo power only

I did reseat it and nothing changed. It doesn't take any power from the psu so it's not that. I only have it plugged in to the graphics card when I'm trying to test it but obviously not when I have to actually use the computer.

>You're plugged into the graphics card, right? Make sure you attached the 6 pin PCIe connector if it needs one. Not all 1050Ti use mobo power only

yes it's plugged into the gpu. I have a gigabyte single fan model with no psu connector.

disable iGPU

noooo, thread archived ;_;

Yes I've tried setting the bios to either disable the igpu when the discrete is plugged in as well as output to both but nothing changed.

put it in a different pci-e slot.
test the card in another computer.
test another card in each pci-e slot.

Motherboard only has one pci slot. I don't have another computer to test. I don't have another card to test.

just go to a friend's place and plug it in. dont even have to unplug his current card if he has another pci-e slot, then just see if u can get video output

I don't have any friends

oh well. since iGPU werks it's either PCI-slot or GPU. easier to RMA gpu first.

Is there no way to tell if the motherboard detects something in the slot, like some diagnostic tool? I noticed it automatically switched the default to pci express graphics which I didn't change beforehand.

if it exists, it's going to be a piece of hardware, and it's probably very expensive and hard to get. never heard of such a thing.

Ive brought an I5 7600(upgrade) from i3 6100
Do you think thats an good buy? (Lack of money)

Current Budget Setup
550W - Crosshair PSU
I3 6100 - CPU (Stock)
RX 480 4GB - GPU(Stock)
8GB - RAM
1080p - Monitor

What should I upgrade?

>upgrade from 2 threads to 4 threads in 2018
meh.

Any idea when the GPU prices are gonna drop?

>z97 with locket cpu
lmao retard

get an unlocked i7 for your socket for cheap. not worth upgrading GPU cus current prices

When can I upgrade from my 4790k? Going next gen Nvidia card in my next build whenever that is. Will Ryzen+ or Ryzen 7nm be better IPC than haswell?

>When can I upgrade from my 4790k?
whenever you want and can afford
>Will Ryzen+ or Ryzen 7nm be better IPC than haswell?
there are no benchmarks yet but it will at least be slightly better than zen1

>tfw no 1080p 144hz monitor with IPS panel
REEEE

More Hard Drives

u wot m8?

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&p=1

>1440p
forgot how to read user?

yeah, i should probably go to bed

Anyone know of any good "desktop" cases? I mean here the ones that actually sit on your desk, like the early 90's PCs.

Would it be better to upgrade to an i7 and keep the same motherboard or switch to a Ryzen configuration.

is this worth to upgrade?
still runs like a champ after 7 years

depends if you do anything that requires more cores.
i7 if u wanna save money or cant afford at least the r7 1700.

I mean, maybe some faster RAM, get some 1066MHz stuff and you'll be gold

that's a fucking waste on that platform, wont do shit. only newer sockets actually benefit from fast ram

What is up with the failure rate of hard drives these days? seems like every product out there has people claiming theirs failed within 6 months - 2 years

whereas my 9 year old pre built has had nothing fail since I bought it

because every product has failures after that amount of time and everyone will have that because they're making millions of drives and it's just the norm

stop listening to fucking user purchase reviews and read an actual test from a hardware reviewer or look up real failure rates from data centers

Finished my new build a few days ago. Theres this wierd rattling noise coming from the PSU. At first I thought it might have been a screw I dropped into the case but it comes directly from the PSU. Its a corsair 650XM. If I tip the case 40 degrees or so in any direction it will stop and it also just randomly goes away only to randomly come back. Any ideas?

You clearly don't care about the money so why do you not have an SSD?

fucked fan? try stopping it with a stick or something for a sec and see if it stops

>Want a cheap enthusiast platform to mess with overclocking
>P67/990FX/X58 boards selling for a shitload
>decent gpu out the window due to cryptoshitting
Hold me, boys.

I've never had an AIO but because I live in a shitty 3rd world country decent air coolers are very hard to come by, while I found a decent AIO at a much better price.
How much truth is there to the leakage memes? What are their life expectancy? Will they really take my entire build with them when they go?

There's always potential, but it generally isn't a problem if you buy quality hardware, take care of it, and attempt to spot hardware failure instead of assuming it's fine.
>cheap enthusiast
Hahaha

Literally every item in that list is overpriced to hell

I think you can be an enthusiast who is cheap, I once had a P5K Pro with a Q6600 and I had fun and it was cheap.

people are gonna tell me not to replace it all but I'm so tempted to in the summer/fall when the new line of GPUs drop so I can have a beast of a PC

Just buy the console then. Don't ask for help if you're not going to take it.

Oh you're right. I did the calculation and 539MHz is actually just shy of the memory bandwidth for the X58 chipset.

Well, then if you are happy with the performance, don't worry so much about it. Otherwise you need a whole new motherboard, and may as well rebuild the whole thing at that point.

Well it just so happens there was another bios update for my motherboard that came out 6 days ago that just said "increase memory compatibility".

So I installed it, rebooted, and got not signal from my display. Waited a long time and thought I had bricked my motherboard and then rebooted. Still got no display so then I tried plugging the cable into the graphics card which then for some reason started working.

In short, asrock is shit. Why should I have to wait until February to use a fucking 1050 ti? Thank god I waited this long otherwise I would've just sent it back with no other graphics cards in stock.

will the 2200 run csgo and fortnite at decent frames on low settings?

Yes, check pretty much any review you lazy little shit

Add an SSD for now, probably 500GB SATA. When you upgrade get a smaller m.2 drive for OS + browser etc.

Not if you're just browsing the net and watching netflix

Because IPS isn't really a high refresh tech. You're looking for a VA panel, like the ones in the OP pcpartpicker

>4790k
Not really much need yet. I'd wait

Pretty much fine as it is. Your next upgrade will probably be graphics + CPU + (maybe) monitor

You're retarded. He went from 4 threads to 4 threads or 2 cores to 4 cores

It's fine.

I just got and installed a new motherboard using the same ssd. Windows actually booted up perfectly normally and everything seems to work fine, but should I still reinstall windows?

This kid has a better rig than you.

I'll try to greentext this
>bros old computer
>replace old board with b350 tomahawk
>install ryzen 5 1600x
>reuse gtx 750ti
>reuse 600w PSU
>connections check out, power on
>computer blinks once and shuts off

OK, I will admit I had to FORCE that wraith spire in there, I pray to God it didn't damage the cpu. We took the cpu out though and tried to boot it, but it still blinked once and shut down, shouldn't it give me an error instead? Double checked all my connections, nothing wonky there. Did I fuck this computer? I used all the shit I used in my build, with no issues. Except for the psu, mine is 650w, would 50w really make that huge a difference?

>sticks a butter knife in it

File for RMA
No.
Is the PSU old? Sometimes they have issues with modern hardware.

>sli 1080 ti for minecraft

I'm a little upset right now

>wireless GPUs

4770K is still fine
Video card and monitor will have a lot of room for improvement later in the year, and you should get an SSD as soon as possible.

>build a decent pc with a 670 at least 5 years ago
>bitcoins were less than $20 when i was first aware of them and I thought nothing of the time and bitcoin miners were idiots
>live under a rock for 5 years and barely touch internet
>graphics cards are now triple their release price because bitcoin reached x1000 the price of what I first saw them as
This is fucked from so many angles
Why didn't my past self make better life choices
I could have been a millionaire and have a chance to afford a graphics card at this point

Quick question, is Sup Forums still a shithole?

Miners are still idiots
Sup Forums is still idiotic

What quality is the thermal paste on GPUs typically? If you take a brand new card and replace the stock paste with a high quality paste how much difference would there be?

So I have a 1 TB WD Black, and a 128gb SSD I use for a game or so + dualbooting.

Kind of thinking of putting the money into another SSD, but how much? I feel llike 250gb would be more than enough for the few games i would really benefit from, but i'm also halfway tempted to pay the 60-80 bucks for 500gb.

Thoughts Sup Forums?

My main concern is that i have no idea of the ins and outs of pc building these days. It's not even just about waiting for new hardware generations now to find the right time to buy as I have this cryptocurrency clusterfuck to contend with.

Psu LOOKS old. I don't know now. I found a shit wire that burned up, pulled it and reconnected that fan and it runs fine without the cpu. Gonna reinstall cpu and wraith spire and see what happens.

what the fuck are you doing

It gets the job done but I would say it's usually comparable to lower-quality CPU cooler TIM.
500GB has better value than anything below it.
If anything has burned wires it belongs nowhere near expensive components

Is it a good idea to wait until bitcoin crashes and burns to buy like 4 1080s on the cheap when people are desperate to get rid of them or will that never happen

I'm just trying to think of positives

I know. The burned wire was removed, and the fan was reconnected. OK, so it turns on just fine, but now the fans run fine, gpu fine, leds fine, but I'm 99% sure I hear no post beep. And no signal. Ram issue now? I checked the stuff on pcpartpicker.com, it checked out.

Convinced me well enough.

Looking at this drive, anybody have any experience?
a.co/aJ39cnh

SIlicon Power, 480 GB. I don't mind spending a little more but if I was going to spend more on it then I'd rather it be worthwhile and last for fucking ever. It's legitimately just going to hold games (maybe a third dev OS but that's beside the point) and nothing else, so as long as it performs well enough forever I'm alright with it.I have a mythical "840 EVO" that should have died on me a long time ago so lmao

>intel

Been stuck playing consoles for too long, with taxes coming back I’m looking to build a decent gaming rig. Nothing fancy, but I’d like to be able to be able to handle at least some older games at high FPS while not looking like potatoes (Siege, Battlefront 2, For Honor)

I’ve been completely out of the PC loop since ~2014 so I’ve got no clue what a decent price on anything is.

Got a budget of around 1k US not including a monitor.

>a.co/aJ39cnh
Nope. Don't use link shorteners

Check benchmarks for those games
Also prices are pretty high right now so your budget can't get you the performance it normally would, but for the performance you want, it's doable

Read OP

Hey Sup Forums. Are GPU prices still fucked? Need recs for building from scratch

Budget: $1400 CAD (~$1100 USD)
Usage: Gaming, photo editing, maybe video.
Single monitor, 1080p+, 144hz, 24/28-inch if possible
I don't trust myself with thermal paste and all that shit either, might be able to find someone that can do it for me though.

DUDE
WHICH ONE DO I GET

BE QUIET DARK ROCK PRO 3 OR NH-D15

I CANT FUCKING MAKE UP MY MIND ON AN AIR COOLER FOR MY BUILD