/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of chronograph horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/BsZoAD4PnWA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-2-4-8-Grids-Travel-Watch-Box-PU-Leather-Storage-Case-Organizer-Gift/272945808750?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=572143883866&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

,just copped

For a steal of $550 I hope!

how is posting a watch in the watch thread bait?

bait for what?

Got a new case for my collection

all that money spent just to meme

holy fucking shit

Is there any cheaper altnernative to an explorer II to keep me going while I save?

>someone spent $1000 on this

I tried that on just the other day. Why the fuck does it have to be so big?
Also that price tag.

When can I buy this for a reasonable price? Hard to justify the premium over the Pepsi PADI turtle.

i don't find it wears much bigger than an skx007

>one for dress
>one for daily use

What's Sup Forumss consensus on smart watches? I assume absolute haram

I find it very helpful for dismissing things that don't matter and only tending to things that do. Also pretty dank for music control.

I'm facing the same issue

Pretty much unwearable for me also I have the skx007.
The whole charging after work thing kind of turns me away from it.

>Pretty much unwearable for me also I have the skx007.

Mine lasts 2 days most cases, but it has a nice little magnetic charging pad on my night stand. I only had it die once in the 7 months I've had it because I accidentally left it in my work bag.

It's far less tedious than you are thinking. It's no different than sitting it aside like you normally would at the end of the day.

nice leather case

/wt/ edc thread?

Poorfags will hate, but I like this.

For the love of fucking god

GWM5610

t. samefuckignguy

Nice watch, junior (sarcasm). Fuck you.

Guess so lol

Absolute patrician

Nice stitching on that case. Thoughtful to include elastic securing anchors to the padding. Can't go wrong with Skekio. By any chance, is that fleece hovering about the edges of the case. Get back to me when you can. Curious about that case.

But I don't normally set my watch aside at night, user

yeah it's fleece, would not want scratches

... Do you leave it on when you sleep?

Yes that's fucking boring.

That's interesting. I'm letting that run around in my thoughts. Let's look at the zipper. Rusting is a concern. Sorry, it's really fun but protecting not one, but two watches needs careful eyes. One thing people don't realize when storing watches is that cases are the most important. That stitch work looks like an expert did it if I may be so bold.

what teh fuck is going on here

All you need is three watches. Casual, dive, dress. Increasing magnitudes of price in that order.
Prove me wrong.

Got an ad for that set? Brown snake skin case. I hope it's not real leather.

I paid extra for it to be hand stitched by the most senior child in the sweatshop

ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-2-4-8-Grids-Travel-Watch-Box-PU-Leather-Storage-Case-Organizer-Gift/272945808750?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=572143883866&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

>It's far less tedious than you are thinking. It's no different than sitting it aside like you normally would at the end of the day.
Eh fuck that. I don't set aside my watch at the end of the day either. Using the lume on your watch vs having to turn to your nightstand alarm clock takes a lot less effort.

I just wear one watch for everything.

i really wish you could change the band on this, i would buy it in a second

my ideal "actually wear them regularly" collection would fit that desu

I hate how tunas look in stock photos but love how they look on the wrist

why do they not make a black bay with a black bezel

2/10 got me to reply.

Plus a few cheap meme watches and vintage shits are nice to have.

my mistake, I meant

"Why do they not make a black bay that looks like a pelagos with silver hands and a black dial" those gold hands are gay

>those gold hands are gay

What a fucking faggot you are holy shit.

i mean i won't disagree with you, i have a couple inherited/gifts watches that are cool to have but i don't really wear them on anything approaching a regular basis.

fit and comfort is exceptional, especially considering the size.

what is this?

I remember this tuna. How's the accuracy been?

my wrists are 7.5", I feel like a 36mm watch on paper is too small, but they seem to usually look fine on me. is that odd? pic related. my biggest watch is 42mm and frankly it feels sliightly too big even if it technically isn't. i wouldn't go over 41 again.

thats a big fucker isnt it

holy fuck that is thick

excellent, though I haven‘t really done any long time testing recently, since I switch between timezones so much

i'm curious, do you actually dive?

no, but I like the ruggedness, since I also wear this watch while working or wrenching

Only way I can do three watches only is if I drop the diver for a chronograph and go:

Omega Speedmaster Mark 4.5 176.0012
Rolex Datejust 16200 Blue dial/Smooth Bezel/Oyster bracelet
Grand Seiko SBGW253

If I have to add a diver to those three it would be a black Tudor Pelagos in-house.

i think part of the point is the price tiers, from what i've seen when people talk about that setup, hence why i chose that solar seiko

I don‘t baby this watch and it can take it.

I absolutely love this watch and the way it accumulates wear.

Yeah well, if you count the chronograph as a casual watch and let me sub waterproof steel sports watch for diver, then the three I chose follow the cheapest to most expensive pattern.

oh wow i didn't realize the GS was more than the Rolex

Yes, I have a few as well, I wear them maybe once or twice a year.
The fuckers saying "you should wear all the watches in your collection" are just retards.

Yes? How else would I know what time it is in the middle of the night?

I want my watch to be a part of me, that's why I hate smart watches "oh you gotta charge it, you gotta be careful with it, you can't shower with it every day"

What should a casual watch look like?

that watch has a fucking shield on it wtf

[spoiler]sinn 556[/spoiler]

My aunts boss gave me a Rolex and I'm too scared to wear it in public. I don't want people thinking I'm a trust fund 23 year old even though it's kinda true. What would you do?

pic related
wear it, fuck em

Looks a bit boring 2bh

That's like the whole point

>solar
Ehhhh no thanks
I work nights would rather just get a quartz watch, not have to worry about getting enough light for it to charge, and save a bunch of money.
Or just get an automatic like a regular human bean.

HappySeagullChronoAnon here. I have a question for you guys, entirely unrelated to pic or anything.

To those of you who own Tudor, or like their watches. I don't know much about them, but they have always had a reputation (fair or not) of being the Rolex when you can't afford a Rolex. I guess my question to you guys is twofold: 1) is this a fair reputation today, given the attempt they've clearly made to differentiate themselves from Rolex enough to be respectable on their own merit, and 2) do you ever feel that a Tudor is simply a substandard Rolex or even, have you ever had someone criticize you for owning one (or even judging you based on the watch)?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about Glashute Original, and how they tend to 'borrow' styles from Lange, though they happen to cost far less. Personally, I would never buy Glashute because the proportions are all wrong, whereas the Lange has everything 'right'...but then again, I'll probably not be able to afford a Lange for quite some time, so rather than having a poor imitation (which is my viewpoint, not necessarily anyone else's) I'd rather not own anything at all until I get what my mind considers 'the real thing'.

So, please tell me your thoughts on Tudor. To those who like them, why?

>So, please tell me your thoughts on Tudor. To those who like them, why?
Tudor makes excellent quality sports watches and their new in-house movement is on par in design and functionality with a Rolex 31xx but with the added benefit of a silicon escapement. The in-house Pelagos is probably the best true tool-watch diver on the market, bar none.

While the quality on their in-house sports designs is excellent, they still suffer from some styling direction issues that means they should be judged on a model by model basis, but the quality is such that I believe they are the best production sporty sports watches being made in Switzerland today (with Rolex being on the dressier side of sports watches for the purposes of my point).

wear it pussy

>tell me your thoughts on Tudor
2bh I see them as a frat boy watch for people that couldn't afford a Rolex.

I wear f91w to bed. Only watch I have that's comfortable to the point of not being noticeable at all after few minutes, perfect for night use.

I used to wear my watch to bed but they get all sweaty and gross.

Same here I have a truckload from my dad after he passed, but almost none of them are my style, or I don't have the financial status to pull them off.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

>and save a bunch of money
Switch to geico nigger

same. I keep it on for showers, airport security checks. Never the slightest problem or discomfort. Are all watches like this after time or is it just the glorious casio f91w?

>wasting money on a feature I would never want
No thanks, the goys will have to work harder than that to get my shekels.

Interesting. I had to look up the Pelagos, it seems that they've made one to be worn on the right hand as well (the black variant). Maybe this might be an unfair question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. If you had the choice between a Pelagos and a normal Submariner, price being no object but the watches being essentially identical in terms of what they can do and what their function is, would there be any reason to choose the Tudor over the Rolex?

Well, this is what I have felt about them forever. But I've noticed quite a few postings of Tudors on here over the past few days, and I thought I'd ask, because I've never personally understood the attraction to the aesthetics, and I've always doubted the quality. But if people like it, at least I can learn why, and then see how that agrees/disagrees with my admittedly uneducated preconceptions.

The f-91w is more comfortable than a livesteong bracelet imo

Do more expensive, higher-end watches have better lume? I have a Citizen Skyhawk that I like for the most part, but it's useless in the dark. (I think newer models have an LED light, but mine doesn't.) I find myself wearing a cheap Casio most of the time, because even the crap LED on it is still readable in the dark.

:^)

>If you had the choice between a Pelagos and a normal Submariner, price being no object but the watches being essentially identical in terms of what they can do and what their function is, would there be any reason to choose the Tudor over the Rolex?

I would very much say yes, but I am a big fan of highly functional watch designs. The Pelagos is has far better legibility with its matte dial, bezel and case/bracelet finishes. It's precisely the extreme legibility and functionality of the design and finishes that makes the Pelagos appeal to me, and the in-house version is, in my view, giving away nothing to a 313x Submariner.

Beyond that, the Sub is too much of a jewelry piece, aesthetically, for me at this point and if I was going to be buying a Rolex, there are other models I'd be far more interested in anyway.

>Quartz Grand Seiko that isn't an SBGV model
>Not putting the cheaper Grand Seiko in the middle of the three
Why though?

Prefer the smaller size. The case on the SBGV is better I agree. Also was putting it in order of casual to dressy not price.

Interesting. Are there any other models of the Tudor that I should look at? The Pelagos, while I don't particularly like it's aesthetics, definitely agrees with your description (i.e. excellent legibility on dial, etc.). You mentioned earlier (or maybe it was another user) that one must take Tudors according to each model, and not as a conglomerate.

So, give ma another model to look at that is excellent in your view. Thanks in advance...I'm learning.

>tfw no 38mm goldilocks black bay with a rotating bezel

put the middle watch on the right and find something else for your mid tier

Personally I'm a big fan of the new Black Bay Blue now that it has the in-house movement. It's the perfect diver in my mind.

>Interesting. Are there any other models of the Tudor that I should look at?
Right now the only other models I would look at are the 41mm Black Bay models with the in-house movement, and the North Flag which also has the in-house movement.

Their new Black Bay chronographs are fairly nonsensical aesthetically, which is too bad as they have the fairly well designed Breitling B01 as a movement.

>you mentioned earlier (or maybe it was another user)
That was me.

Well...the North Flag is definitely not what I'd expect from a watch called Tudor. It's distinctly different from anything I've seen from Rolex, so that's a good thing (I say that unironically). I don't care for the yellow/black colour scheme...but I think that's just a personal issue (the yellow looks REALLY flourescent in photos..but it probably looks better in person) The bracelet looks super comfortable though...

Thanks Anons...it's given me something to think about.

>fairly nonsensical aesthetically
how so?

Not him, but diver hands & chronograph hands are pretty opposite in design. You'd want thick hands for a diver for a lot of lume, whereas you'd want thin hands for a chrono to not get in the way of reading the subdials.

No, I also have 7.5" wrists, and I only wear 32-36mm watches these days.