USB3 IS SUPERIOR

USB3 IS SUPERIOR
ONLY PCI-E 16X FASTER
SO WHY WE NEED SO MANY CONNECTORS INSTAD OF JUST 16 OF USB3 ?
EVEN FOR VIDEO

I allways wondered why we can't just directly plug a GPU in with USB It would be much easier

can you even boot from usb 3?

Serial mouse and VGA is pretty obsolete by now, but the real answer to your question OP is compatibility with existing equipment.

People raged because Apple chose to discard all ports on their macbooks and replace them with USB-C connectors instead.

Also, I would argue that USB 3 to an external soundcard is a bit of an overkill compared to a minijack out when all I want is some shitty sound.

>Apple
BECOUSE NOT ENOUGH JUST 1 CONNECTOR!
NEED 5 OF THEM!

so what you're saying is we should nix everything but thunderbolt

depends on the BIOS but generally speaking any computer with a USB port has an option to boot from it, I had a Socket 939 PC that could boot from USB and my Thinkpad T60 will boot from USB as well. Don't know if my USB 1.1 T21 will boot from USB.

>I allways wondered why we can't just directly plug a GPU in with USB It would be much easier
USB is gay, but an external PCIe connection (for example thunderbolt) is good for this.

When I say USB is gay, what I really mean is that the protocol is very different from PCIe (which everyone uses today).

>FireWire Port

Just get a hub or buy a more expensive macbook (and not a cheap macbook air). MacBook Pros have 5 ports. You need to get adapters for all your existing equipment anyway, why do you care about getting an USB hub?

SHITUP!

1 FOR CHARGER 3 FOR MOUSE KEYBOARD AND FLASH DISK READER

>SHITUP!
What I'm doing to this board for $800, Alex.

That reminds me, I've always wanted to order those contraptions that slot into the optical bay that has a buhbillion USB ports.

Are there any that are actually any good?

WTF U CAN BOOT FROM USB???? WTTTTFFFF????

USB communicates with the CPU over PCIe. Why have GPU -> USB -> CPU when we can have GPU -> CPU?

was there ever any board with more USB than this one? 2x usb3 and 2x usb2 internal headers as well.

Crosshair VI

>Why have GPU -> USB -> CPU when we can have GPU -> CPU?
i think we're getting there

>Wanting usb 3.0,
What we need is motherboards with usb (3.2 or whatever the marketing term is) c + thunderbolt.
Especially a mid range motherboards.

NanoEthernet should replace all ports.

If the motherboard has no flashback button to flash without post, don't buy it

Doesn't expose a pcie end point

because the signals are different you cockmongler.
And many are legacy. Putting a microcontroller to support some legayc standard like VGA is cheaper than losing sales because your customer has an office building where every projector is VGA only and will be for the next 10 years and he isn't inderested in your product

My Ryzen board only has 3.0 and 3.1, no 2.0. Don't get why it still has a serial connector, they took away PCI but not serial.

They work ok user

DisplayPort to VGA works fine, the only people that would care are people still playing games on a CRT and would sperg out about the potential 1ms latency.

HDMI 2.0 is 14.4gbps.
Display port 1.2 is 17.28gbps

How exactly are you planning on replacing these with 10gbps USB?

Why do Mobos come with more usb2.0 ports than 3.0?

>motherboard claims to support 7.1 surround sound
>only has enough ports for 5.1, last RCA port is replaced by S/PDIF
Why? Who the fuck still uses TOSLINK? I'd rather have full 7.1 support than optical out.

Royalties is the only answer, part and accessory manufacturers all want to make money selling their proprietary connectors which pretty much become standardised if they get popular enough.

2 ports instead of one, now you have 20gbps, take that fucksack.

So now you have to simultaneous data streams that you need to insure is synced properly so you're not getting certain bits before you get the previous bits. So you're adding an extra layer of difficulty as you need to make sure they're in sync or you need a buffer at the other end to make sure things get organized properly which introduces latency.

Basically you're a retard.

overhead

Most motherboards made today don't.
Most new motherboards I see usually have an equal amount of USB 2 and USB 3 or more USB 3

The only real proprietary connectors on the board in OPs pic is HDMI.

peripherals don't really benefit from higher data transfer

You get enough headroom for all that with 10gbps ports assnigger.

>SO WHY WE NEED SO MANY CONNECTORS INSTAD OF JUST 16 OF USB3 ?
>video
USB 3 isn't fast enough for 4K 60 Hz displays and some high refresh rate displays.
>SATA
As far as I know, you need a chip to translate SATA into USB, so it's easier to just add an eSATA port (and it's way better than being limited by some shitty 32 bit chip that won't let you use HDDs bigger than 2 TiB because the motherboard manufacturer was cutting corners)
>Ethernet
Ethernet allows for longer cables than USB 3, unless you get some non-standard USB cable (technically the standard doesn't limit the cable length, but you'd need some thick USB cable to meet the power specifications with a 10 meter cable)
>3.5 mm jack
Analog headphones make way more sense from a technical standpoint, and you wouldn't replace (good) audio equipment unless it stops working, so support for legacy equipment is crucial.

learn some basic electronics you dickeaters

You're still requiring more physical hardware, which is added cost AND complication.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, i'm saying there is no reason for it to be done.

Because video requires the most bandwidth.

Raw 1080p60fps video requires 1GB/s to properly transfer with overhead included. 1440p and 4K res videos astronomically requires more than that.

Why don't desktops come with SD slots but many laptops do?

>his case still has optical bays

are those hacker buttons

t. soyboys and their unquenchable thirst for dongles

Almost wrong on the esata one. There's a USB attach scsi (UAS) protocol in the USB spec now. It still needs a chip but it's a simple device these days. Does limit speed a bit on ssds, but it's a godsend for complex transfer rates and cost of external drive enclosures now.

And it's still a terrible idea.

USB has a display port alt mode that can do DP1.3 (4k60 and higher is available on that spec), USB has higher possible throughput and power delivery modes that sata doesn't, USB->1GbE is cheap as dirt and adds submicrosecond latency, USB type c allows for analog audio to be muxed on some pins, allowing analog audio on the connection or passive type c->3.5 mm conversion.

Yes

>No PlayStation 2 ports
Disgusting

USB is not ideal for graphics processors because its throughput is very limited compared to PCIe. For data to go from the OS to an external device through USB, it goes from the CPU to the PCH to the USB host controller (very complex and full of features that a GPU does not need, e.g. handshakes and data signing) then to the actual device, wherein lots of unnecessary computation in the context of a graphics processor takes place. PCIe does not do this, and the CPU controls the GPU through the PCH and a set of BIOS-mapped registers. It's much faster.

>ONLY PCI-E 16X FASTER

USB 3.1 Gen 2 is only slightly faster than ONE lane of PCIe 3.0
So 4X PCIe 3.0 is also faster.

Lots of prebuilts from companies like HP come with them. But for cases that are sold to DIY in, you can just add one if you want it.

Why is optical audio so fucking useless?
It doesn't even support 5.1

It's completely obsolete and replaced by HDMI/DisplayPort, Probably just there for backwards compatibility reasons. No idea why it's on modern consoles though.

Don't be racist

You mean USB-C

>Don't be racist

because of legacy hardware
I needed to transfer and old video from one of those handheld camcorders (mini dv) and over usb for whatever reason I only got very low res 15 fps video, over firewire full 640x480 30fps
obviously firewire is outdated and hardly any hardware has it these days, but usb2 is still widely in use and while usb2/usb3 are compatible, not all older hardware work nicely with new usb3 ports, its same with old printers, old monitors, old kb/mice

>TRUE USB 3.0
are there fake USB3 ports?

Even more funny when you realize USB 3.0 doesn't actually exist anymore, we now have USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2

better idea is they need to drop the "U" since it is anything but

how about PSB, particular serial bus, as in "Hey bro do you have that particular SB, you know the 2.0 type C connector to female mini-A?"

let's go over these port by port
>PS/2
necessary. Give the mouse direct input to the CPU. USB has a delay, no matter what. PS/2 is always superior
>USB 2.0
still necessary for boot ISOs for installing/repairing OSes. Hardly ever works over USB 3.0 ports for retarded reasons.
>Optical Audio
universal standard for digital audio out. If you want a sound system that doesn't sound like fucking garbage this is necessary
>HDMI
completely useless. Worse than displayport in every way, especially now that DP has all the same DRM specifications
>D-SUB out
necessary for legacy high framerate, high refresh rate analog output. An HDMI or DP adapter will cap at 1080p 60hz whereas native VGA out will give up wp 2048x1536 60hz or even 1600x1200@85hz (which is what I run at, so I need a legacy GPU to maintain this perfect combination of resolution, refresh rate, input latency, and image clarity)
>DVI-D
completely fucking useless, end of story
>e-SATA
total legacy port.
>firewire
see above
>RJ-45
necessary, being that without it you simply need a USB adapter and none work universally across all operating systems and hardware, plus you are out a USB port
>line-in, line-out, mic jack
still completely necessary as USB audio devices have butt fucking terrible DACs and should be thrown in the trash

the perfect I/O on a computer would consist of the perfect, necessary legacy options such as
>PS/2
>D-Sub out
>USB 2.0
>RJ-45
>Optical S/PDIF out
matched with the absolute most perfect port of modern times, Thunderbolt 3. I would have a dozen thunderbolt 3 ports which can all handle DP out, external PCI, standard data transfer, power, etc etc. It's the perfect port, and everyone crying about
>muh legacy USB port
just needs to grow up and get with the times. Everything I mentioned as legacy being necessary is not improved by a USB solution; it is a detriment. However, Thunderbolt 3 is a straight upgrade over USB 3/.1 in every single measurable facet. It's the same thing but better

why not simply chuck all of it into one big bin and have it connect to each other in the most optimal manner resulting in a compact blob of extreme processing power, mogging even supercomputers

the "Universal" means that it's designed to universally cover all forms of I/O: power, data, audio, video, human interface, etc. retard

Why does USB 3.0 fail so badly at 2.0 backwards compatibility? Is there a technical reason for this? Are peripheral device manufacturers just retarded and hardcoded USB 2.0 or something?

>O WHY WE NEED SO MANY CONNECTORS INSTAD OF JUST 16 OF USB3 ? EVEN FOR VIDEO

Because its another box to check off for the manufacterer thats why.

it costs them only pennies to put that shit on there, you don't want to be "that guy" that is missing firewire when everyone else has it, do you ?

it has everything to do with motherboard BIOS and UEFI bullshit

>Implying public access to pci lanes is a good thing
neck yourself.

>dude security flaw that requires physical access to computers
*yawns*

>implying security flaws that require physical access are not bad
>implying physical security is negligible

Thunderbolt rapes it

There should only be some sort of thunderbolt/displayport connector, small and powerful. And it should have some kind of a locking mechanism, so it wouldn't get unplugged easily or by mistake.

It's all just electrical signals anyways, might as well create a standard that can handle all types of I/O thru one connector.

physical security is negligble because as long as you physically secure it then it's impossible for someone to exploit it

>It's all just electrical signals anyways, might as well create a standard that can handle all types of I/O thru one connector.
yes... perhaps... YES... a UNIVERSAL Serial Bus... holy fucking shit

Then, if USB is truly universal why isn't every OEM using only USB for everything?

Except that for certain use cases, where you need almost zero latency, USB sucks.

So.. not so universal, after all.

UEFI just sucks. If you want a 3+TB drive as your OS/boot volume then yeah you need UEFI. If you don't then you ain't missing anything if your board don't got it. That's literately the only benefit to UEFI. My AM3+ board don't got UEFI shit but it does have SATA 2/3 ports plus USB 2/3 ports. Also I got it maxed out at 32GB ram. So I'm set for life man.

>universal standard for digital audio out. If you want a sound system that doesn't sound like fucking garbage this is necessary
Very wrong. Optical audio is a overpriced meme, it's not better than digital audio over copper in any way. So here a USB DAC is better if you're a audiophile, otherwise built in DAC is fine.

>HDMI
>completely useless
No adapter needed is always a plus, since it's the most common standard.

>D-SUB out
>necessary for legacy high framerate
So a total legacy port. Get with the times and dump that CRT grandpa.

>line-in, line-out, mic jack
>still completely necessary as USB audio devices have butt fucking terrible DACs and should be thrown in the trash
You clearly know nothing about good audio.

>matched with the absolute most perfect port of modern times, Thunderbolt 3.
Enjoy having a dongle for every device. Guess what, what matters in the real world is what devices use. Almost no devices use thunderbolt, and if they do, you're paying out the ass for no advantage whatsoever. The only real world advantage to thunderbolt is EGPU, which is completely useless on desktop and pretty shit on laptops too.

>just needs to grow up and get with the times
everything was great until here

kek

>You clearly know nothing about good audio.

>Get with the times and dump that CRT grandpa
there literally does not exist a display technology with the same level of
>image quality
>resolution
>refresh rate
>input latency
>motion clarity
there exist displays that exceed in multiple areas, but literally none that match all of these
>You clearly know nothing about good audio.
I want to say the same to you
>Enjoy having a dongle for every device
no. It's not so hard to replace your devices with USB-C/thunderbolt 3 capable. Right now my phone, laptop, switch, and thumb drives are USB C compatible. usb c-displayport cables exist. It's the fucking future, don't fight it
there is literally no reason to be shackled to usb type A anymore. Type C is the future and it must be embraced as quickly as possible. Going through the headache of upgrading your shit once is all it takes to be set for the next decade.

>one usb c port

God. fucking. dammit.

>Type C
connection and connectors not stong enought phisicaly

Type-C is shit though.

It's literally a dongle connector.
Yeah, it supports loads of shit, but you'll need a dongle to actually use any of that.

>Only PCIe is faster
What about ethernet?

Cat6 ethernet is 10 gbit/s, so about usb 3.0 speeds.

(you)
(you)

Oh I know you. You're baiting as always I see.

>It's the fucking future, don't fight it
>Uses CRT in 2018

>Enjoy having a dongle for every device
>no. It's not so hard to replace your devices with USB-C/thunderbolt 3 capable.
Haha nice try with the moving goalposts there. USB-C is a connector and can be USB 2.0 only. So you have in total 1 USB-c accessories and 0 Thunderbolt accessories. Great argument there...

USBC / Thunderbolt > Everything except PCIe

cause USB is driver heavy and causes more load and latency per capita than any other interface

USB only has several data pins and you have to divide them by two since they're differential signals. Enjoy your signal latency due to multiplexing for several pins.

it's definitely strong enough
dongles/adapters are growing pains until all your devices are natively USB C, which isn't even hard to accomplish today
>It's the fucking future, don't fight it
>Uses CRT in 2018
yeah, problem? I thoroughly explained why. When we have display technology that can match or exceed input latency and motion clarity of CRT while matching or exceeding it's raw color and contrast capabilities then I will stop using it.
>USB-C is a connector and can be USB 2.0 only. So you have in total 1 USB-c accessories and 0 Thunderbolt accessories
I don't know what you're trying to imply here. I'm saying that the perfect I/O on modern computer would have all modern ports replaced with Thunderbolt 3, which interfaces over USB type C. I don't see the issue.

daily reminder that Thunderbolt is Intel shit (MELTDOWN HELLO?)

Type-C thunderbolt is 40Gbps, can handle dual monitor setup alone, also output up to 20V/100W

it's like kids these days aren't taught about latency

I have an old Harman Kardon receiver that is connected via optical.

These days though most boards are entirely HDMI and USB3. Thank god for PS/2 simulation.

>he thinks polling is faster than cpu interrupts
PS/2 > USB