What is the best entry level DAW? Is it pic related? I want to start recording guitar and bass...

What is the best entry level DAW? Is it pic related? I want to start recording guitar and bass, how did you start and what did you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmms.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=Va398QWEWoQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For just recording audacity is retarded level easy

>tfw they're pulling the MS on their software and the next version will jump straight to 20

FL is unironically rivaling ableton tier shit these days Would recommend.

Really it's how you work. I started with FL and love the sequencing/workflow. Ableton might be good but I don't give a shit about it.

Ableton, Bitwig and FL are all geared more for sequencing and electronic music in general.

Logic is still the king of recording and mastering despite how atrocious it is to use.

Friendly reminder that real music is done on real instruments and not facebook machines.

But you still need DAW and other software to rearrange the track and master the mixing to prevent the crackline.

lmms.io/

FL is beastmode

Cockos Reaper

Is this any good or it is just because of muh free as in freedom meme?

OP here, I don't own a Mac nor am I willing to buy one just to create some crappy music on my spare time

Seems to work fine for "entry level"

My normie brother who doesn't even know how to unzip a file can use it. It's great software.

I already have FL but I am having a hard time using it to record various tracks, I was just wondering if there was anything easier to start with but I guess I can just google some stuff and use it anyway

Friendly reminder that real shitposting is done on real computers and not selfie machines.

depends on the kind of stuff you want to do, not sure FL is the best if you want to record instruments and work with audio. Maybe reaper or something

This. The guy that developed it is the same genius behind Winamp

I have FL, and it is not that great for recording. It's usable, but starting again, I think I'd use Ableton if I could. I've barely used any others (besides Audacity), but from what I've seen in videos, it looks like Ableton gives you more options for fine manipulation of audio clips (well the default AI makes it much easier, since technically you can find a way to do pretty much anything in any DAW.) I've read complaints about FL vocals editing and stuff also.
>actually bought FL instead of torrents

Soundtrap.com is a pretty good online entry-level DAW.

Reason 10 is my favorite
Too bad you cant pirate it
So i use fl studio 12 instead. Which works great

Ableton is really user friendly and runs on windows. Though it costs around $80 for the basic version.

Pro Tools is the only industry standard

>Recording & Mixing
Audacity
Ardour

>Sequencing & Synthesis
LMMS

Reaper all the way for multi tracking with real instruments.

>recording in Audacity
>using Ardour unironically

eww

>LMMS

maybe

Muh digital performer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Va398QWEWoQ

No you don't. Good live recordings are just good live recordings. Some of them sound way better than studio recordings.

>OP here, I don't own a Mac nor am I willing to buy one just to create some crappy music on my spare time
What kind of music do you want to make. Because you could just record it without bothering with any kind of software.

Not a fucking chance. Lets see some examples.

OP here, mostly classical guitar

As others have said try Ableton, the interface can be tricky to learn if you've never used a DAW before but there's a series of built in tutorials that explain everything and give you a nice virtual tour. The newest version (Live 10) added a series of new workflow improvements that make it that little bit mire viable for recording and editing audio. I have a friend who uses it solely for recording and demoing out tracks for his band as he writes them and it works for him just fine.

In terms of obtaining the software, the demo is limited to 8-10 tracks I think and saving might be disabled. Can't remember. If you want to shell out the big bucks for the full version it'd be worth it but if you're not retarded it's not hard to find online.

Fuck yeah, just record that shit. Get a good pair of pencil microphones and a sound devices Mix Pre.

Literally all of Keith Jarrett's solo work on the ECM library. A long time ago I heard a great Keri Noble track that was recorded in her apartment, was way better than the studio version that made it to the album.

When you listen to live music (that's not rock or pop) a lot of live recordings are better than studio alternatives. OP's classical guitar is perfect for this, especially if he/she has a room that sounds good to them.

>Literally all of Keith Jarrett's solo work on the ECM library

There is no way to get it to CD from vinyl without a DAW. It was converted to CD why? Because better sound.

>There is no way to get it to CD from vinyl without a DAW
>actually believing this
lel

How does one convert from analog to digital without a DAW? You know a DAW is not limited to a software one runs on their desktop computer right?

DAW is digital audio workstation. I can convert from analog to digital with a DAC (digital to analog converter). But that's not the point at all, the point is that a multitrack digital audio workstation is not necessary for creating good music, nor is it necessary for multi tracking.

I can record on a digital audio recorder that has built in DACs and magically have a file ready to go at the end of a recording session.

How the fuck you going from digital to analogue from vinyl to CD with a DIGITAL TO ANALOGUE setup?
You NEED to live record from analogue to convert to digital.
The DAW is built in to your recorder as a DAW can be an "integrated stand-alone unit".

retard

Digital to analog != Digital audio workstation
They are completely different things.

I have a digital four track recorder, it has mic pres and it creates wave files. I guess it's got magic inside, or maybe it just has onboard DACs? But what do I know, I only do this for a living.

DACs often go both ways.

audacity is nice

>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

How is this thread so full of idiots? Is all of Sup Forums like this?

Yes, and poor

I really wish I could understand how to intuitively change sounds towards my intent in these tools.
It's beyond me how people do that.

>babby's first DAW
awwwwww

start small, establish a good base of skill with just an EQ. Play with it until you know exactly how it's going to work. Listen a lot, to a lot of music and sounds in the world. Think about how they fill the acoustic space, what is dominating, what isn't. Then do the same exercise with multiple tracks of audio, doesn't have to be music, can be anything. Use the EQ to manage the acoustic space with the audio you have.

Then do the same thing with volume.

Then start playing with reverb, do the same thing.

Then do the same thing with compression.

Explore all of the control you have, individually, don't try to figure it all at once. It takes a lot of practice.

Don't fuck around with DAW and jump head first into gear. I recommend a korg MS2000 if on budget and a juno-60 if not.

I just got Cubase for free. Is it any good? Haven't tried it yet.

Reaper is by far the best DAW to cut your teeth on, because you can use it indefinitely for free. Technically you are required to pay ($60) after a certain period of time, but it doesn't force you to do so, there's just a short nag screen when you launch it.

Bitwig and Ardour are the only ones that are Linux native, and bitwig is the best out of the two