/wt/ Watch Thread- Ecology Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of ecodrive horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine solar watch, clock, windyknob, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/BsZoAD4PnWA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ecL8arr0s9k
amazon.com/dp/B00ZOWJI7A/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00ZOWJI7A&pd_rd_wg=RXoIp&pd_rd_r=XR1W6BCY98TMMXP853BQ&pd_rd_w=WJ7xB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>there are people here even considering a post-hayek Omega

Could you put a better movement in a modern Omega and replace the coaxile or have the finishing redone to better standards?

Maybe, but what's the point? You'd end up spending nearly as much as the watch costs over again. You may as well get something better from the get go.

I guess. Only modern ones worth getting these days are the 1861 speedy's

What kind of watches you think she likes?

Seiko solar > ecodrive

She wears a grape Rolex OP

Good afternoon, /wt/. What are you wearing?

I would grape her Rolex

What's on your wrist today?

Represent. Eco-Drive and Seiko Solar seem to have similar performance in my experience, but I just don’t like many of Citizen’s designs. Seiko has a lot of nice solar models.

you're wearing it on the wrong arm???
fucking degenerate.

Weee

Honestly I am sure they are about the same from a reliability/ruggedness point of view

but yeah, citizen does not make many good looking ecos, I wish they would make a standard eco movement kind of like an off the shelf ETA that other makers could use. I personally would buy an ecodrive Steinhart

Still in the honeymoon period with this one.

What do you guys think about the spb051?

Worth $670 dollarydoos?

Union

Citizen makes a similar solar field watch to the one I wear and post here, pic related. To me it’s just such a lame design though, the band sucks, the date window should be black, the hands are too stubby, lacks military time for a field watch, weird long crown, etc. I can’t imagine why anyone would pick this over the Seiko or other options, yet it is by far the most popular one from what I see on Amazon. It is name recognition?

(Me)
I have to say, I really like the case and indices, but the hands and especially the chapter ring aren't as nice as I'd hoped. I suppose they do have to cut corners somewhere to sell it at that price point, of course. Still a very nice watch, but in no way "99% of a Grand Seiko" like that troll was saying the other day.

It's very nice. Too expensive for me though.

I should mention it’s 37mm as well, which for me is too small for a modern field watch. That’s dress watch territory these days, I prefer 39-40 for a field piece.

Name a watch with this kind of aesthetic.

At that point I’d save a bit more and get a Swiss diver, personally.
I can’t stand when watches have more than one date visible, ruins the whole watch for me.

Invicta Sub

She got even more cute, wtf
>Female evolution ended in ukraine

Old news but thoughts on some of the Basel 2018 Seiko leaks?

Cool, i have the excalibur.

reminder this exists

Finished testing this so it went back on my wrist. I'll need to my to get it to my watchmaker for some adjustment.

>Citizen doesn't make good looking Eco-Drives
Other way round, Seiko doesn't make any good looking Seiko Solar watches in the same price point as Citizen make good looking Eco-Drives

>44mm

when do these come out

Well, I like it because I always forget what comes after 21

Me you don't have to remind.

>44mm
>inb4 the usual wristlet soytantrum

wtf bro

Well citizen does make Grand Seiko tier solars

What's funny is that it's only 200m while being huge as a 1000m.

What are people who are left handed suppose to do?

> When you stare into the abyss it tells the time

Wear it on your left arm anyway? What the fuck I’m left handed too it doesn’t mean your right hand doesn’t fucking work

Southpaw is a mutation and a brain disorder. Hitler went after the wrong people.

this is now a "who can post the ugliest citizen or seiko" contest

go

Brainlet

The chronomaster finishing isn't quite in the same league as gs, although it's better than that picture suggests.

Japs can't into chapter rings.

arrived today

Why do that to yourself? Tell and right handed person to wear their watch on their right hand and they will instantly know why lefties wear it on the right.

Because I’m not a snowflake and can wear a watch like a normal person

more pics please

Looks like the bezel not the chapter ring.

WHY ARE PEOPLE UNIRONICALLY BUYING THE WINDYKNOB

Nice meme. I'm just saying you should try it if you haven't.

or just buy a quality watch like Rolex from the get go

Well it won't be me, the quality of the dial, the case and the bezel texture are fucking atrocious.

An MDV-106 literally looks better.

Good question. Plenty of better options in the price range, especially vintage.

>An MDV-106 literally looks better.
but not solar

Old pic, but this.

When did /wt/ turn into reddit?

That depends on how much value you put on external finishing and how much you like the aesthetics. Seiko's upper mid-range value proposition is based on tolerating a 6r15 for the sake of more of the budget going into the case/dial/hands/bracelet.

> TUE 21
almost could have gotten away with it

People don't actually buy them. The japs are sending them to people if they signed up to shill the watch. It' all about marketing famalam.

This today.

Will be modding it soon though

new watchfinder
youtube.com/watch?v=ecL8arr0s9k

Look at this, pocket watch lads. It was my great grandfather's. He was a p.o.w. in siberia for 15 years, that's where he got it. Any of you horology masterminds could give me some info about it ?

It's like that terrible song that plays on radio. After enough times hearing it, you start liking it.

That is vostok tier bracelet fitment.

CoolFire Solar Watch Fast Charger (compatible with all kinds of eco solar watches) TC-1046

amazon.com/dp/B00ZOWJI7A/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00ZOWJI7A&pd_rd_wg=RXoIp&pd_rd_r=XR1W6BCY98TMMXP853BQ&pd_rd_w=WJ7xB

What are you going to do to it?

Jeez I hope that is magnetized or some other easy fix and not the hairspring geometry.

You should probably post pictures of the movement

Looks even bigger than seiko 1000m's

I would have typically expected magnetism to be a significantly faster rate, no? I was thinking maybe something in the balance staff?

So far as I understand it, wouldn't it depend on which internal bits (or parts the case) were magnetized?

It wears pretty small though

>parts the case
Forgot my 'of'.

can someone explain to me why omega is considered "eh" now versus pre-80s?

Swatch Group.

As I understand, it's just the spring that becomes magnetized and has parts stick to itself. Which is why a silicon escapement is all but immune to magnetism.

I HAVE 6.5 INCH WRISTS AND I THINK IT LOOKS JUST FINE. I don't care.

Ah, interesting; here I was thinking that bits of the gear train could be individually magnetized.

so Omega was bought by Swatch Group and they let the quality drop, essentially?

Honestly I'm not 100% sure, so maybe you're right.

Pretty much.

I have a Casio F-108WHC

Do you approve? Your opinion matters to me.

I'm just a hobbyist, I could easily be wrong.

Omega in the fifties to eighties was a major driver if chronometry and technology. The 30t2 series is one of the finest manual wind series movements of the era Their 56x movement series, while not the most precise of the era, was a fantastically successful line, with outstanding accuracy and reliability. They were a major driver of tuning fork technology, heavily involved in both the esa9162 and the megasonic. They were a major part of the group that produced the first swiss quartz watch. They made major advancements in high accuracy quartz as well as ultra thin watches.

Modern Omega, by contrast, is a largely marketing-driven part of the swatch group. Their coaxial movement, despite its flaws, and their master chronometer certification, are a bit of a step in the right direction, as are some of their recent museum pieces collection, but generally speaking they are not the horological powerhouse they once were.

You don't matter

Hurt me more, Daddy.

Yes, generally speaking the issue with magnetism is that it makes coils in the spring stick to each other, reducing its effective length and increasing its effective stiffness, making the watch run much faster. That's why I don't necessarily suspect it in this case; when watches have been magnetized they've run double-digit minutes fast per day. But it's not impossible.

Not necessarily. An escapement can be only mildly magnetized in the range of gaining 30 to 60 seconds a day. I've actually had that exactly happen to one of my watches. 5 seconds in the degmagnetizer and it went from running +30 to +60 back to running between +0 and +5 SPD as it had been before.

my friend wore one of these for like eight years until the strap started to fall apart, and ended up getting an identical one in black which he's now had for another two. you'll be fine.

Help me out here, /wt/

we already did faggot

Hm, good to know.