/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DskrX3suqb0
youtube.com/watch?v=3pQtogSWF3A
youtube.com/watch?v=6YF7EJ7hxLA
ebay.com/itm/Koss-Porta-Pro-Headband-Deep-Bass-HIFI-Portable-Headset-Sports-Stereo-Headphones/222820600741?hash=item33e1248ba5:m:m8Lsym4oDFhWKoZwyCbNqMA
youtu.be/Ku4FS5tBAys
amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-Low-Latency-Interface-Digital/dp/B000KW2YEI/
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
amazon.com/Fiio-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC/dp/B0189EVGAG
amazon.com/Replacement-Headphones-Senitek-Protein-Earphone/dp/B0714G9YJ2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Got my new Stax Sr-407 and SRM-0006TS

Threadly what's everyone listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=DskrX3suqb0

Try again

nice, how are you liking it ?
youtube.com/watch?v=3pQtogSWF3A

youtube.com/watch?v=6YF7EJ7hxLA

I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones that I can wear on the bus and on campus. would the portapros be a bad idea due to them being open?
I don't want to annoy people with my music, and I'm scared that environmental sounds would drown out my music. what do you anons think?

(OP)
Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Nice horo.
I'd worm her.
I'd get some cheap IEMs.
(OP)
Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Nice horo.
I'd worm her.
I'd get some cheap IEMs.

ebay.com/itm/Koss-Porta-Pro-Headband-Deep-Bass-HIFI-Portable-Headset-Sports-Stereo-Headphones/222820600741?hash=item33e1248ba5:m:m8Lsym4oDFhWKoZwyCbNqMA

How likely are these to be fake?

Not my best day. By far.

user...

I ordered the 407 from the states and the 006ts from Japan. I’ve had the 407 for a couple days now driven by my SRM-252s. Right out of the box I didn’t really care for this combo compared to my L300/252 combo. But after a couple days leaving music playing through them The 407 finally opened up. They are much more musical compared to the l300 which I might call more analytical. I have to turn the volume on the 252s much higher with the 407 compared to the l300.

006ts just arrived today but I’m still waiting for my 500w step down transformer to be delivered today as well so I can power it on. The transformer I bought for the 3100 combo is only rated for 100w.

The Japanese seller once again included a nice note and his favorite cookies.

Been a shitty day toiling at the cloud mines.
Shitty week overall, so far.
Atm relaxing with my HD600 while playing idol rhythm games.

i want to FUG mio

Also have a set of rca cleartops to replace the stock electro-harmonix tubes, that will mean I need to break out the DMM and bias the new tubes...probably going to wait awhile before rolling.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica M50x, is it worth it upgrading to the 70x?

Get open for once. HD600 is suggested.

upgrade to a990z or a1000z unless you need portability. M70X isn't worth it.

why do your waifu look so threatful

I don't often take them away from the desk, sometimes to listen to music while cooking, or maybe while I'm out on a trip.
What is the advantage of open-backed headphones? I'm not familiar with the specifics of quality headphones, figured you fellas would know more than I.

OwO what's this?

I use se215s for portable use. The portapros are open so aren't really a good choice for that

She's strict, but very good spirited and loving.

LCD4

>HD 600
>Anything like the MX0Xs

They sound better / price.
And as quality goes up, at some point, there's a roof no closed does get past.

It says LCD-3 on the box tho

>I wonder with the Audze name and Audeze symbol very clear

LCD2 Classic

i bought some used im02s and they were supposed to arrive yesterday but never did. i'll have to go the post office tomorrow if they aren't delivered today
youtu.be/Ku4FS5tBAys

That's the point. Actual good sound.

Ah, okay. And what about sound isolation? My favorite part of the pair I have now is how much external noise they cut out (these are my first "good" headphones, so I'm not sure if they compare).

if you don't move them from the desk then consider the fullsize AT headphones I listed

Mio a goddess

Question: should I hunt specifically MDRV6 or MDR7506 are on the level? I want them in my collection of "classics" but MDRV-6 are almost impossible to find here locally and import would add half of the price to them

You'll get a little of it and that's it. In exchange, it won't sound bottled and uncomfortable, a problem with every closed. Specially if you like to sing along... the feedback you get from doing this on closed is horrible.

Not the point, though.
>A-shaped
>Anything like v-shaped
Stop

Well surprise ruined I guess

The advice I can give is to grab HD600 and see what the fuzz is about or, if you're poorfag extraordinarie, SHP9500s.
The issue with open headphones is that, once you try it, closed will forever sound bad to you.

>relaxing with the best headphones in the world while playing idol rhythm games
Livin' the life, IT.

Post more k-on girls or i will die

stop calling my legal bride “waifu“

>he fell for the US hifiman meme

Alright. I'm definitely looking for something at least a little portable, for the aforementioned reasons.
That's a fair balance.

For both of you, my favorite part of a song is the bass frequencies. How do these handle the low-ends?
Also, what do you two think about amps? Right now I've got a FiiO A3, a cheap, little one that has served me well.

Noise isolation is non-existant

Just doing my producer job, after my exhausting job in the cloud mines.
Gotta be there for my idols.

>if you're poorfag extraordinarie, SHP9500s.
I've enough cash to get one pair of good headphones, regardless of price (within reason, obviously. I'm too /poorfag/ to get a four-digit pair of headphones).
Thanks for letting me know. If the quality is sufficient, I can let go of noise isolation. It's a non-issue if the music sounds great, to be honest.

inb4 muh wrong artstyle

Have some more Keions with headphones, user.

How cheap can i go for a decent DAC?

any thoughts?

Open headphones tend to suck at bass strength.
Unironically, HD600 are actually pretty good at bass, for open headphones. HD650 will give you more bass magnitude but less flat bass and worse at impact (that is, what bassheads call "slow"), and the open ath are very poor at bass. SHP9500s will give you literally no bass. DT880 are apparently pretty good at bass, but they're not anywhere as good at else.

People were not kidding about the weight though goddamn I could probably break some windows with these things

I got 007A and 727A last week. listening them whole days and I just can't get separated from them.
I use Swallow Transpal PAL-500 step down transformer. it's very good. compact size and quiet (no humming)

amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-Low-Latency-Interface-Digital/dp/B000KW2YEI/
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
These are both good when used as standalone DACs plugged into a separate headphone amplifier.
If you want a DAC you can just plug your headphones straight into, Fiio K1 if your headphones aren't particularly hard to drive:
amazon.com/Fiio-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC/dp/B0189EVGAG
All three of these devices have been measured and measure well.

um gr8 song you incels got taste

>I've enough cash to get one pair of good headphones
Then I suggest, as the starting point, the industry open reference, HD600. As the box says, "Pure Sound, Always."
Literally, you'll find yourself comparing everything else to them. You'll be able to find headphones that do X or Y better, but you'll go back to the HD600, because they have that overall balance nothing else gets close to.
Their reputation is ridiculously good, but I only really understood it when I got mine; They're even better than their reputation.

That hill of mid-bass muddies shit up, and the sub-bass extension is very limited. Even the Fidelio X2s are better in that regard

>Then I suggest, as the starting point, the industry open reference, HD600.
Seconding this.

So is there an upper limit for the bass output? By which I mean, if I were to hook it up to a quality amp, could I get more than the standard amount of bass?
On my current amp, it's got a little switch on the front that makes a huge difference (with little change to other frequencies, I might add).

I bought mdr-7506 and regret it. My thoughts are not to bother with these. They're cheap, in the bad sense of the word. They're not even good at the price they're sold. Save up for something actually good.

cease shilling

*snaps*

Then what do you recommend I buy?
All I'm looking for is a better pair than AT M50x, that has good bass and good clarity. So far the HD600 sounds like a quality pair of headphones. This guy recommended a few I need to look into as well.

if you want good bass then hd600 shouldn't even be on your mind

I see... I have meme HD 598 for "music"
Thing is I wanted something more monitor-like, more harsh if you will.

Overpriced garbage, like everything from the "modern" Stax.

only if you mistreat your stuff like a retard

Are you going to do the port mod?

Well I was wondering if this would make a difference if I had the HD600.

Nice set up, i didn’t invest much in the step down transformers so fingers crossed it doesn’t hum. I’ll have to check out those Swallow Transpal.

I have a PS audio P500 regenerator powering some components and that little 100w transformer is dead silent. Wish the delivery man would get here already.

If anyone needs some great cheap ear pads I can recommend these.

amazon.com/Replacement-Headphones-Senitek-Protein-Earphone/dp/B0714G9YJ2/
Own the fabric and leather ones and I'm amazed at the quality considering there price.

Considering getting the velour ones.

UCA is not decent because it perfectly transmists all pc noises.

>have monoprice $20 cups for a few years
>break
>get one of those tascams 3 years ago
>break
>by porta pros a year ish ago
>slowly breaking down, lost adjustment and plug is worn
what do I do now

I've taken a liking to the light weight and on ear of the porta pro's but sometimes I wish it was better at noise cancellation, yet I also like being able to hear stuff with them on

I am supposed to be getting some rebates on my shit in soon, so maybe $100 max. Must be very durable.

I suggest to choose whatever, but at least do go open.
Open is something that you _need_ to try.
HD598 are my old set, which I used exclusively for years. My current opinion on them, after getting used to my HD600, is that they're honestly bad.
They do shine once in a while, but they soften music too much and do erase detail in the process. The imaging is excellent when it can handle the music, and goes down to absolute garbage when music gets complex. My closed msr7 and hd380pro both have better imaging. They're less "good sounding" overall, but they make hd598 look like screw-accuracy-tier colored headphones for the riffraff. Of course, HD600 puts both of these to shame also.

Also UCA is 16 bit so it's pain to get desirable volume level from it.

The HD 600s are incredibly bass light. A bit of mid-bass bloat with little sub-bass extension. If you'd like something closer to something closed, the DT880 or the Fidelio X2 should be more to your taste, but both have their weaknesses

>the velour ones

I have not experienced this while using mine for recording. This must be an issue regarding specific USB ports, not the UCA202.

no, it's not necessary
even 727 amp don't need feedback mod I think
it's sound fantastic

>that retro game
I suggest higan, rather than a shitty emulator running on an inadequate platform.

HD600. You're being trolled by our resident, prolifically samefagging anti-Sennheiser autist. He shits all over every thread; ignore him. HD600 are the most balanced sounding headphones available and are actually slightly bass-boosted.

It's issue with the UCA.
Also I measured it with RMAA and it was worse than onboard audio.

NWavguy measured it and it measured well. I have not heard "PC noises" while using it.

HD600 and DT880 have the same amount of bass, you lying, shitposting autist.

While I was ITT, I was reading a bit into the HD600, and it doesn't sound like bass is a big issue. Many people said it depends on the amp, and if that's the case, what amp should I get?
Open-backed headphones sound pretty interesting, definitely interested in trying them out.

>Samefagging
Dude, stop. The HD 600s are incredibly bass light. A quick search of a raw frequency response show poor sub-bass extension and a small mid-bass hump.

HD600 actually has about 1 dB more 80 Hz response there than DT880, so it actually has more bass than DT880. Both headphones, as they measure there, will be perceived as slightly bass boosted because that area around 100 Hz is what people perceive as "bass response" whereas the real low bass is fairly inconsequential for almost all music. Bass drums and bass guitar/synth bass don't live in the sub-bass; they live in that 100 Hz area.
Also, holy shit, that DT880 treble. My ears hurt just looking at that.

these measurements still show how bass anemic the hd600 is you dumb nog

Because your pc is not noisy. Amir measured it too and got shit results.

Holy shit, user. Post raw. That compensation curve does nothing to help you.

Due to bad decisions years ago (buying a behringer midi keyboard), I do have an uca200 somewhere. It was better than the onboard I used it with, but not great. Somewhat noisy and meh.
Get the cans, you can get an amp anytime later. It is said that Nothing sounds better than amped HD600.
e10k and fulla2 are known to limit the HD600. I can confirm the latter do, and the former have way lower power specs. Magni 3 is probably good value, but unfortunately has no measurements out there. O2 is what I'd go for these days. I own Magni 2u.

Just stop. Your credibility has been completely destroyed by You called HD600 "incredibly bass light" then suggested that DT880 would be better, but were then proven to be objectively incorrect since HD600 and DT880 objectively and measurably have the same amount of bass. This destroyed your credibility, so you should stop posting now.
>in b4 you post poorly-sealed HD600 measurements as damage control

>While I was ITT, I was reading a bit into the HD600, and it doesn't sound like bass is a big issue. Many people said it depends on the amp, and if that's the case, what amp should I get?
You're gonna hear very different statement about who's the boogeyman, but do make sure you'll be fine with the bass of the HD600. They're bass-light. You can add some via EQ but it's gonna be satisfying if that's a criteria you like. Amps are not gonna change anything unless you get a very colored tube.
Also think about options like the HD6XX. You can find those for cheaper on eBay and they sound literally 95% the same as HD600 stock. You'll want to EQ anyway because they're truly bass anemic.
Best "cheap" amp is the O2. Endgame.

>30 Hz response even with 1 kHz response
>bass anemic
No.
>b-but the green line
The green line was arbitrarily defined by Jamal who thinks headphones should have a giant bass boost. They should not.

An amp should measure flat and not affect the sound. If a headphone has to rely on an amp for bass, it isn't very good

Post your headphones, samefagging NHA.

>shits on soyboys
>probably is a soyboy himself

>muh niggerbass

how are the estrogen injections going?

If they can at least match (or get close to) what I currently have, then they'll be just fine IMO.

The DT 880s have better bass extension and thus, are better when it comes to bass. Posting compensated over raw isn't very good of you, user

I have a boyfriend though

With my AT-M50x, to get the amount of bass I enjoy the most, there's a little switch on the front. These are my first pair of headphones that cost more than $50, so I really don't have a metric of quality.

Boosting around 50hz is so fucking enjoyable though. Unfortunately no headphone has a real bass hump that low.