These 4 GNU/Linux distros are the only non-meme distros. If you aren't using one of these...

These 4 GNU/Linux distros are the only non-meme distros. If you aren't using one of these, you are doing it fucking wrong

Debian
Gentoo
Arch
Ubuntu(any *buntu)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180219.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>listing gentoo and arch
>not listing fedora and centos
You're doing it wrong.

>fedora and centos
No one uses that

I'm sorry but that's wrong, but i'll post the actual list:
Gentoo
Void
Debian
Linux from scratch
This list is aimed at experienced unix/linux(GNU/linux) users

Debian
Fedora
Opensuse
Arch(but barely)
Everything else is autistic, meme or meant for servers.

I''m happy with cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180219.iso

Why did you post Debian twice?

Nobody uses CentOS as a desktop.

no wrong

it's gentoo or LFS

Who the fuck said anything about desktops? Linux on the desktop is a meme in the first place.

Ubuntu for the noobs
Debian for real men
Gentoo for the gnu/linux gods
Arch Linux for the ricing faggots

t. windows 10 user

Dude, you wouldn't classify production servers as "memes" or "autistic."
You use what works for your business needs.

Actually, I use Fedora Linux on my desktop at work (because I program software for Linux). But that's pretty much the only reason to use it. On my laptop, I use macOS like a sane person.

Ubuntu is now in datamining business.

Read my fucking post one more time, you illiterate cow. I just fucking implied that Linux on servers is sane, while on the desktop it is a meme.

what about the mini.iso

is that a botnet?

Linux is just the kernel. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux.

I feel like we're forgetting one.

On desktop it isn't a fucking meme
If you want a full blown desktop feel, get fucking KDE

>Please call the complete system GNU/Linux.

Hmmmm.... no.

Whoa, easy there, tough guy. That edge might hurt some one.

OSx is aids.

Every Linux desktop is a fucking meme. It's simply not fucking acceptable that a fucking GUI bug in your email client will crash your display manager so you lose your session, or that a kernel upgrade fucks with symbols so your graphics driver won't load anymore and you have to recompile it for the new kernel through remote login.

I've been using Linux since 2007 and in ten years the ecosystem has actually gotten marginally worse, with the introduction of KDE 5 and Gnome 3.

When the Gnome devs think that forcing you to download a fucking extension to change the date format of your clock, it's time to realize that the year of the Linux desktop is never.

At least it is stable. See I find it ironic that you're posting memes and reaction pics and then telling me to go to reddit. Honestly sounds like something more up your alley.

What is the source of that Wojak? Reverse image search doesn't give me any useful links.

Welcome to the botnet.

>red hat ecosystem

Do all versions of Ubentoo do this? I use Ubuntu MATE.

>at least it's stable
>find it ironic
Typical apple fanboy; apple preys on stupidity.

>nobody uses the only professional alternatives
ITT: Delusional ubongofags

I've used Kali, Debian, RHEL, Ubuntu, CentOS, Gentoo, Arch, no distro at all, and I have to say, Debian is still my favorite.

>no arguments
>"apple is dum"
Classic Sup Forums

>dat filename.torrent

Not sure. Canonical is the one warping ubuntu. This shit is open source, remember? Anyway, just use debian. It's what I use. Just a couple of minor problems:
>youtube ui flickers a bit in mozilla
>graphics card not fully supported

>"""Professional"""
It's what professionals use. Industry standard etc. 99.9% uptime, military grade security and webscale, agile and business-ready. Recommended by rockstar developers and JavaScript hackers. *tips fedora*

>stable
Windows is stable too, linux distros can be stable too. What's your point?
> more apple fanboy nonsense

>Advanced
Arch
Void
>Intermediate
Debian
>Beginner
Deepin Manjaro

Is that windows 95?

AKSHOOALLEE..... Linux should come first, so it's Linux/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, LinGNUx

>It's what professionals use.
Yes, and professionals use Centos and RHEL. Deal with it.

>Windows is stable too,
I never hated on Windows, what is your point?

>linux distros can be stable too.
As servers and embedded OS and toaster OS, sure. As a desktop, usually not.

>What's your point?
Linux as a desktop is a fucking meme and only a tiny minority uses it as such because it isn't fucking suitable for it.

>Arch
>Gentoo
>Not meme

>I never hated on Windows, what is your point?
Never said you did. Chosing osx over everything else because it's stable. That's your point. Are intentionally being stupid?

>As servers and embedded OS and toaster OS, sure. As a desktop, usually not.
How is linux unstable? Nothing has broken on me thus far. I accidently installed nvidia drivers that wiped out some of my settings last night, and couldn't login in at runlevel 5. Took me less than five minutes to fix, because I'm not a retard.

Is rocket science a meme? Speaking urdu a meme? Browsing Sup Forums is a meme? Just because you don't understand it and a relative few do, doesn't make it a meme. Do you even have a background in computer enigeering?

>Chosing osx over everything else because it's stable. That's your point.
That's not what I said and no that's my point... Are you a fucking moron?

I merely said that macOS is more stable than any Linux desktop is, that's why I prefer using that and only use my Linux desktop for work. I said nothing about macOS being somehow more stable than anything else in the world, that's you being delusional.

If you ask me why I prefer macOS over Windows on my MBP, I could list several reasons such as superior battery life, having BSD utils, a decent terminal emulator and a bunch of other reasons you will simply dismiss because "lol apple is dum".

>Nothing has broken on me thus far.
>I accidently installed nvidia drivers that wiped out some of my settings last night, and couldn't login in at runlevel 5.
Are you delusional?

>Took me less than five minutes to fix, because I'm not a retard.
It doesn't matter how trivial it is to fix things, I currently have a problem where Thunderbird leaks memory until GDM just fucking crashes and I lose my entire X session and all my current work with it.

>Just because you don't understand it and a relative few do, doesn't make it a meme.
That's not what I said either. And I've been using Linux desktops since 2004, and believe me it hasn't improved much since then (in fact, I would argue that certain DEs have actually regressed in stability and functionality).

It's not about "understanding", it's about fooling yourself into believing that Linux desktops aren't literal clusterfucks that's riddled with bugs and """quirks"""". It's simply not fucking acceptable that you have to download and install a fucking Gnome plugin to change the date format of the desktop clock. It's not fucking acceptable that when resizing a window across two HD screens in Unity, the window manager will chug away for a good 40 seconds rendering broken and laggy animations.

>Do you even have a background in computer enigeering?
Yes.

We need to autoban the discussion of linux for a few days, Sup Forums. Not forever, just for a few days, until the over zealous Linux users realize that they are only 1% of that market and it is NOT fair that 1% of the market gets half the threads and discussion here. This isn't representative of the populace and is NOT FUCKING FAIR. I come here to discuss technology, particularly computers. Why is such a small minority in this arena practically owning the fucking board?

I do use Windows, and while I have apple, at least the Macfags and the threads here are representative of population and market of OSX users. Unlike the tiny Linux using minority here that seems to make at least 3 threads a piece, because I know there is not that fucking many linux users.

STOP SHITTING UP THE BOARD WITH SUB PAR SHIT

>arch

nice try mememan

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

In addition, “GNU/Linux” fits the fact that Linux is the lowest level of the system and GNU fills technically higher levels.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.

>links right to the iso

I'd rather read a bit about it before going right to the download lol

* tips fedora *

Plenty of people use fedora on the desktop, if I had to use a "more normal" distro I might go for fedora.

Anyways, nixos and distros with a similar architecture are the future IMO.

>At least it is stable.
>implies linux isn't stable
Your words again: At least it is stable.

>Are you delusional?
I fucked up my setting. Me. Not the debian maintainers. Updating has never broken anything for me. Just because daddy cook doesn't give you more control of your system, doesn't make more "stable."

OSX is stupid. I've used it before. It's over priced shit. It's like linux, but if everything was weird and proprietary.

I don't know man. Using thunderbird, ubuntu, and using all these weird shit you don't need, that's on you. I don't have any problems. A couple of quirks, yes. But that's it.

You've been wasting your time then.

Linux Mint is one of the best Linux Flavors.

This is a thread abot linux. One thread amoungst 150. Learn how to do practical things with your computer. Vidya, tranny anime, and showing off your desktop doesn't count. Fuck off.

>implies linux isn't stable
I implied Linux DESKTOPS aren't stable. As in the fucking desktop ecosystem. Are you pretending not be able to read or what?

>Your words again: At least it is stable.
Yes. As a comeback to the quality statement "OSX sucks".

>Updating has never broken anything for me
Then I guess you're either extremely lucky, or you haven't been using Linux very long, or you're just outright ying.

>Just because daddy cook doesn't give you more control of your system, doesn't make more "stable."
Explain to me how you believe I somehow don't have the same level of control on macOS as on Linux?

>OSX is stupid. I've used it before.
I guess that makes you an expert, right?

>It's over priced shit.
Irrelevant to quality.

>It's like linux, but if everything was weird and proprietary.
Everything was probably "weird" to you because you are unfamiliar with a BSD ecosystem. macOS has more in common with FreeBSD than with Linux.

>Using thunderbird, ubuntu, and using all these weird shit you don't need
I don't use Ubuntu, and Thunderbird certainly isn't "weird". It's probably the most commonly used open source email client out there. How the fuck does that make it weird?

>I don't have any problems. A couple of quirks, yes. But that's it.
Judging by your statement that "Ubuntu and thunderbird" are "weird shit you don't need", I guess you probably don't use your Linux as a daily driver desktop OS at all, you probably configured some anime background and a minimalist WM and are happy with posting in screenfetch threads. That's not what most people mean when they say they use Linux as a desktop OS, user.

>nixos

NixOS is a breath of fresh air among all these other meme distros with X or Y preloaded software. At least it actually tries to fix a problem with the rest of the linux ecosystem.

You're all wrong.

>arch memux

Slackware was actually my first distro (2004-around 2007), but now it feels kind of antiquated desu. I haven't kept up with its development at all though, just a disclaimer.

Install Source Mage GNU Linux

you're replying to 7 (seven) year old copypasta

We're going in circles about your words about stability, and I feel like you lack the maturity to drop it.

I've been dualbooting linux since 2014. I've been linux only since august. Don't play vidya anymore.

>Explain to me how you believe I somehow don't have the same level of control on macOS as on Linux?
Package manager made for my system. Not some shit from github.

>I guess that makes you an expert, right?
No, but I've tried it. Its still stupid horse shit. Ever tried to use an apple server? Same stupidity. Over priced shit. I'd rather give my money and info to microsoft.

>unity
>not ubuntu
Pick one

Use a web-based client, or write your own. How many emails are you recieving that you need a client for it? Do you need to make stealing your infomation that easy?

I use debian. 1.5gb at idle is bloat as fuck. Like I said my system has a couple of quirks. A little annoying when my mouse moves when I watch youtube, but idk where all this bs about instability is coming from.

Slackware

>Arch
>non-meme
Pick one

I've wanted to give this os a try, but idk how well maintained it is. I don't cia niggers to rape my system that easily.

>systemd
>good
>systemd
>systemd

So they literally mine data relevant to the install process defaults. Shocking!

What's wrong with systemd?

Boots too fast

everything

>We're going in circles about your words about stability, and I feel like you lack the maturity to drop it.
Stability to means that GDM SHOULD NOT FUCKING CRASH CAUSING ME TO LOSE ALL UNSAVED WORK BECAUSE AN APPLICATION LEAKS MEMORY.

That is what I mean by stability. Is this clear to you now?

>Package manager made for my system. Not some shit from github.
First of all, macOS has its own sandboxing and package management system. Just look at what appstore uses, and lookup pkgutil.

Secondly, homebrew is not the only PMS available on macOS, you also have mac-ports if you prefer old fashioned ports systems, or if you prefer something similar to apt there's always pkgsrc.

Thirdly, being on github does not mean fucking anything. The fucking Linux kernel is on github for crying out loud.

>No, but I've tried it. Its still stupid horse shit. Ever tried to use an apple server? Same stupidity. Over priced shit. I'd rather give my money and info to microsoft.
Well, first of all I didn't pay for my MBP because the first thing I did when I got employed was to point at what computer I wanted and then my boss ordered it for me.

Secondly, it's not stupid. You're just unfamiliar with an BSD ecosystem.

>unity
>not ubuntu
I see your source of confusion. I used Ubuntu up until 1.5 years ago. AFAIK, Ubuntu doesn't even use unity any longer. I mentioned several common bugs in multiple desktop environments because I wanted to illustrate that my stability issues isn't some weird isolated event that is only relevant to Xfce (which is the DE I've been using for the last 3 years), but that there are quirks and issues with DEs all over the place.

>Use a web-based client, or write your own.
I refuse to allow chrome to access my desktop notifications, and writing my own is something I don't have time for.

1 / 2

>How many emails are you recieving that you need a client for it?
I manage 5 accounts (1 personal, 3 work related and 1 gmail account that's mainly used for registering for stuff).

>Do you need to make stealing your infomation that easy?
??? Thunderbird does not steal my information?

>I use debian. 1.5gb at idle is bloat as fuck.
Debian is not an option for me, even Debian testing are using 4-5 year old versions of libraries (libvirt and qemu for example). That’s also the reason why I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora, because Ubuntu is not using recent enough software in their repos so I ended up having to manually compile everything from source and maintaining versions myself, which was fucking pain.

>Like I said my system has a couple of quirks. A little annoying when my mouse moves when I watch youtube, but idk where all this bs about instability is coming from.
Because you don’t use your computer for real work.

2 / 2

Another cool thing about nixos: packages are identified by how they were built, and the binary package system is transparently laid on top of the source based system. What this means in practice is you can choose to use a binary package or compile your own, and if you chose to compile your own you can pretty easily change parameters (such as version, or build flags)

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

replace arch with suse and it's a good list

My own distro is not a meme. It works on my machine better than any of these.

Linux From Scratch is a book,not a meme of course
using it(or any Linux distribution) as desktop is a meme

That is not a desktop. This is intel Atom based router.

then its not a meme in this case :^)

Look, I'm on my phone. I'm not replying to all of that. I'm tired. So, excuse for being terse. Lightening round:
Appstore. Propriety garbage.
Own sandboxing, okay got me there. I like docker, but I don't know anything about osx fagbox.
Right, not used to bsd. Is dmg bsd-based?
Gnome works for me, and looks goods to me. Played around with kde for a bit. Also, np.
Client installed on your computer. Easier to steal your info.
No time. Fair enough.
I don't update manually, unless there's a security patch that affects me.
A couple of quirks for "desktop" use. You flip your argument here. Gcc, vim, virtualbox; docker, iptables; python, java; gnu tools and other open source software works flawlessly. What real "work" and am I not doing?

im using almost all of them

> A stable, systemd free distro thats both out of your way and can soothe your unix/linux autism, mantained by a tight-knit community thats not fully fretarded.
Nah, we need muh freedoms, muh package minimalism, muh Just [doesn't] werk.

Replace Arch with Red Hat and that is quite accurate.

t. systemd shill

Lol. Open source shilling. I love it. We're going to give microdick and applel a run for their money!

>Debian
>Gentoo
>Arch
>Debian but worse
???

its for the noobs faggot

Regardless of the flaws in Linux Desktop (and there are plenty), I don't think anyone can seriously say that Windows is overall better, in any respect but compatibility. OSX is more stable, but at the expense of customization. Assuming that all your tools are available on Linux, I do believe that serious work is best done on it.

The level of autism it takes not to appreciate the simplicity offered by a systemd boot process is astounding to me. These SysVInit fags are just to much for me to wrap my head around. The convenience of targets is delicious.

Like what kind of shitty ass computers are you fags running that you can't spare the resources to have proper boot package automation? Is it really bloat? You want to fucking work every day on a microwave oven HMI? ITS SO BLOAT FREE

Not a single thing that Ubuntu does a base install of Debian wouldnt also allow.
>b-b-b-ut my software center!
You have apt-get, don't be an idiot

GNU/Linux could literally force your CD tray to punch you in the balls once a week and it would still be more trustworthy than any PRISM compromised OS like Windows 10 or FagOS.

I'm on Fedora as a primary desktop OS, and there is very little wrong with it. There is a problem with my graphics drivers whenever I update my kernel, which I have to run a command to fix. I haven't really looked into a long term solution yet. Apart from that, nothing has broken, nothing ever crashes, the package manager repos are pretty up to date. Rpmfusion has pretty much everything. I'm not sure what else you need in an OS.

>systemd
very much like windows
break the tried and true UNIX philosophy that a program
should do one thing and do it will
eventually the kern will require it,
forcing everyone to use it. You can look at what's
been happening to udev if you want a good example
binary logging and other terrible design choices
will be forced on Linux by a small group of coders
rather than letting people pick from a large selection
of tools to mix-match and meet there needs

>FagOS

I agree, it feels like windows. However, since I've started learning about it. I've gotten pretty comfortable with it. It takes me about 10 minutes of scripting and editing to configure new systems.

No problem if you enjoy systemd and want to use it
but the fact that Linus is giving them so much power
and it is really looking like one day you'll have to use
systemd to use the Linux kernel without rewriting
the kernel (again looking at dev)
the one thing I don't like the most is why can I
use one piece of there software without the whole
damn suite
It's like going to a store to buy a sink but you'd have
to buy a whole damn kitchen
I really like the init process and if I could I'd use it
and nothing else, but I don't want journald or logind
for example

Users should really care about these things because
it doesn't really affect them. It does affect the OS
builders and distros
Look what happened to devian

yes it's very nice in a lot of way and it's easy to work with
as for a user it's great, but when you look at system
architecture or if you want to play around with low
level things like switching out components you start
to see problems it

I use CentOS as Desktop on my 3D workstation. Installing Maya on Ubuntu or Fedora and fixing all the dependencies is a colossal pain in the ass.
No problems with CentOS whatsoever. It just works.
Maya, Houdini and Nuke run faster than on Windows while using less RAM.

>Arch

>No RPM distros
Are you fucking serious? Red Hat is like the only non-meme distro in enterprise.

What is it that Debian does that Ubuntu does not other than send some minor install details to the Ubuntu team so they can improve their distro?