/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/E6WMenS141A

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=50Q9w_PBdO0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

itt we only post watches that are both beautiful and excellent time keeping devices.

Fine.

Watches are gay as all get out.
Take this to the fashion board and out of g

youtube.com/watch?v=MnIXi-q5JD4

>Man like Archie dissing and flat out copying tgv videos

>she thinks pic related is not technology

first for windyknobs

>Watches are gay as all get out.
solar is not gay

>itt we only post watches that are both beautiful and excellent time keeping devices.

Think again
Maybe 600 years ago

Its closer to art than technology t bh

>itt we only post watches that are both beautiful and excellent time keeping devices.

It looks nice even on shit watches

okay

First for Tisell SHITTERS

>It looks nice even on shit watches

What does /wt/ think of the sarx035?

I can get a brand new one for $520.

>It looks nice even on shit watches...

It looks very nice. The mirror polish ruins it for me tho.

Pretty decent price. Go for it user.

is this ok?

considering making this my first ever watch purchase (with a bracelet+nato)

ETA is the only BB with buying imo. I like the all black better, but this is the original so it should be holding value for a long time.

Anyone have that picture showing movement finishing differences side-by-side?

You mean this?

Yessir thank you

Good desk/wall clocks?
Good alarm clock recommendations? Preferably with 2 or more alarms for different days of the week but not a deal breaker.

JLC atmos.

I want one of those in the worst way, they made some really timeless ones

getting them worked on or moving them is a bitch though

Are there other minimalist chonographs like pic related ?

>Are there other minimalist chonographs like pic related ?

Hi I'm in the market for a new watch, I was wondering what style your guys think would go well with my body type? pic related obv

Any watch will work as long as it's on a NATO

Any TAG

not kidding

trust me it does work. fine oil wont stop a watch. a watch usually seizes up when the balance pivot oil congeals into jelly. flooding it softens the old oil up and will make it run.

i'd say 4/5 times that will make a watch perform decently. ofc I actually overhaul the thing because im not a cunt.

Rate my collection. Just a dress watch and a sports watch.

Source?

How was Burning Man?

Does anyone know what the strap size is for a Lord Marvel? 18mm?

>It looks nice even on shit watches

Habring Desk Clock

Which type? Mine's 19mm.

the fact that cheap quartz modules are ubiquitous now and are slightly superior in one technical measurement doesn't mean that mechanical watches should be phased out. in fact it means quite the opposite: because dead-accurate clocks are all around us at all times of the day, the timekeeping accuracy of the wristwatch is now mostly irrelevant once it passes the point of practicality. all mechanical movements made in the past 100 years possess sufficient accuracy for practical use. there is no meaningful difference between a vostok 2416 and a ronda quartz movement. neither of them comes within ten orders of magnitude of the accuracy of a cesium fountain, and all of our phones, computers, and so forth are all set by NTP to the cesium fountain time standards of the world.

yes, quartz was briefly an improvement over mechanical. but that reign barely lasted 20 years. quartz is obsolete as a precision timekeeping technology, replaced by networked systems calibrated to technology that is so accurate it exceeds the precision of the solar system itself.

now, what is a wristwatch in the 21st century? because it can never again be seen as a time standard, it can only be a personal accessory that serves as a celebration of tradition, craftsmanship, and design. quartz, then, fails quite badly at the primary application of a wristwatch, being a cheap compromise technology that discards the interesting value of the machine but that can only muster a marginally better showing on the accuracy benchmark. some quartz designs will always have appeal, like the brutal digital designs descended from the first wave of pulsars and seikos. but the notion of precision timekeeping in watchmaking is itself now wholly obsolete, and quartz's star has definitively, unambigiously, and indisputably fallen.

the time of quartz wristwatches has come to an end.

I didn't know there was more than one type.

Ayyy I just got one of these off eBay after seeing yours

Nice user. Take pics when you get it. See pic.

>the time of quartz wristwatches has come to an end.
nahh

(also please note the stripe)

What makes their spring drive special?

Why is this watch such a meme?

>What makes their spring drive special?
the quartz and computer regulator, the second hand has a perfect sweep, no ticks

youtube.com/watch?v=50Q9w_PBdO0

Read the pastebin

Thanks

no u

>not posting the new clicky bezel se

whoa I didn't know vostok actually made good looking watches

reminds me of the classic green neptune. What is the best looking neptune?

>ETA is the only BB with buying imo
Yeah, I'll take the slight increase in thickness for the massively better in-house movement, personally.

Is it really massively better?

I have a few ETA watches and have never had a single issue with them, they are easy to get serviced or replaced for a reasonable price if need be

>Is it really massively better?
Do you care about the technical merits of movements? If you do, then yes. The in-house is a free sprung, balance bridge, silicon escapement design technologically and performance wise on par with the Rolex 3135.

It has much more power reserve, much better shock resistance, much lower positional variance, much lower thermic variance, much higher magnetic resistance, and as a result of the much longer power reserve and free sprung desgin I would expect to experience less loss of isochronism in the first 24 hours of the power reserve.

If that bezel actually ratchets I'll buy one. First Vostok i've seen I like enough to buy.

Fuck that’s a sweet watch, but $5000 fuuuuuuuuuu

Didn't realize blue Nighthawks were a thing now

That's fair except for the Patek. While you could pick any other the three brands watches and get those results that isn't true for PP.

I'm not saying the in house is a worse movement, I'm just saying that Tudor has always used ETA movements and their value has held up fine. ETA was the original BB and we all know the early issues always hold value better than the latter models even if they are inferior.

Why not both?

They're fine, if you can stand the size.

>Dufour
>brand

Price range?

Please disprove that being a patek cal 240 then.

Any good looking atomic watches under $200?

Shouldn't you be proving that it is?

The claim was "that's not a patek". So, prove it.

Reposting this in the hope someone knows what type of watch case this is

Actually the claim was that picture wasn't proof that all Pateks are that poorly finished.

casio gshock/protrek are good looking to me, at least

Ok, then prove it's not representative of that caliber. In threads from a few months ago there was a discussion about how patek quality has slipped in recent years. It's probably around in this thread, just read around.

Believing some user on /wt/ knows anything about Patek calibres let alone being able to afford one.

is literally the only picture of bad Patek bevelling I've seen on any watch forum and it's only posted here.

What's the optimal amount of watches to own? The point where you say, I'm not buying another watch until I get rid of one of these first. I'm thinking 12.

Why does there have to be a limit?

I was originally going to try and not go over 10. But at 7 already I don't think I want to put a limit on it. Different people collect in different ways.

There are more pictures showing chattering.

It just tends to not be shown off well in pics.

While I'm at it, have some bracelet pins which should be invisible on a nautilus.

For me that is a very tough question. My limit has come from my interest, or daily requirement. I don't tend to switch out watches for different occasions unless there will be the potential of water contact. I do not match gold/gold or leather colour with leather colour in fashion...I honestly don't care, and the people I interact with don't care either.

One thing for sure...I only wear my quartz watches when on vacation, with the possibility that they get stolen or lost. I never wear them at home. Granted, they're not special quartz watches of any sort...generic plastic ones with alarms.

Get what you want, and if you sell one from your collection, think carefully about whether or not you'll miss it in the future. Beyond that, wear them in good health.

500(+-3)

>Believing some user on /wt/ knows anything about Patek calibres let alone being able to afford one.
Ha. Not even the user replying to you but just because you don't know why Patek's anglage has been getting worse doesn't mean that there aren't posters here who do understand why.

Basically, you shouldn't underestimate just how deep the well of horological autism runs in here.

Wasn't there an user that had an uncle or something that worked in Patek? He posted a pic of a bunch of watches with no reverse image results and that he sure as fuck couldn't afford that confirmed quality was going down in the lower end of their range?

The dress watch is cool, but I prefer the Patek

Regardless as to the pic's veracity, and all the anecdotes associated with Patek probs on the various watch forums put there, there are these facts:

2009, Patek abandoned the Geneva seal because they didn't want to be associated with something Cartier had bought their way into. Okay, the requirements for the seal weren't that high, but it was a 2nd pair of eyes giving their shit a once over. Now with their own seal (lmao) it's just them doing "objective qc" on their on their own stuff. Yeah, real convincing.

Secondly, since 2010 whenever, Patek has doubled output (China hungry, like all the others). It's not as if trained, good watchmakers spontaneously appeared to take up the work overnight. Rumor, hearsay, speculation is that the only way Patek could do this was if they took all available watchmakers from their repair department and got them into main production line. There might be credence to this since in the same amount of time, collectors have reported unbearably long service times compared to a decade ago. Might also explain the apparent lowering of quality in the most produced models; grand complications of which only a few are made each year appear to be unaffected: it's the Calatrava, nautilus and other lower level Pateks that seem to have the most issues, although they are the most bought so there are more out there for people to bitch about.

Is Patek resting on its laurels? I get this feeling.

Why can’t they make this in 40mm? I’d even pay their retarded price for it.

As “authentic” as the sanded case look may be, it makes it look like a cheap Timex made of bronze

>>not posting the new clicky bezel se
>posts old non clicky model