My router has died after four years of use and I need a replacement...

My router has died after four years of use and I need a replacement, but it feels like all the review sites I know of are shilling $400 "gaming" routers; and there are hundreds of indistinguishable midrange options.

What are people using these days? Are any brands particularly good or bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320325
netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1000.html
mikrotik.com/products
m.aliexpress.com/item/32789654246.html
gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_642436.html
ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/
mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD
mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many devices are you running in the house? More than 8-10 and you'd probably benefit from a triband system. If you're just plugging your shitposting box into the router via ethernet, it probably doesn't matter too much,

Just buy some $70-90 AC router, tplink makes good cheap shit that's solid

Not too many wireless devices but I torrent pretty hard and occasionally send large files over wifi.

The AC66U B1 is a stealth refresh of the 68U, sporting a newer CPU revision, so if you're considering the time-tested 68U, I'd go for this one instead, it works with all the same firmwares, but DD-WRT isn't as reliant on NAT acceleration

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320325

So can I buy a second router for my house and just plug it in and connect to it? I actually have no idea how that works, I just don't want to run a fucking mile of ethernet cable across my house

I have had best luck with Asus routers. Just don't get the top notch ones, get last year's model. I still use an n900 and have almost 30 connected device, no issues at all. Don't let people bullshit you into the massive autist looking boxes, you don't need that shit. My old n900 covers all three floors of my 2700 sq ft house.

get whatever for your wifi access point and build/buy something to run pfsense

i've been eyeing this thing lately:
netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1000.html

it's a way more solid setup than some normie meme "router" that shits itself as soon as you throw a thousand concurrent connections at it

then just buy a high spec trailing edge model. AC1900 from either Asus or Linksys. You can find them on CL or Kijiji for $40. if you have wireless deadzones in your house consider getting a matching range extender ($20-30 used)

mikrotik.com/products these look nice, should I buy one?

Mi Router 3
m.aliexpress.com/item/32789654246.html

I built my own running OpenBSD.
10/10 dank would recommend you try it.

Retard, at least recommend the Xiaomi Router 3G (the upgraded version with Gigabit LAN support):
gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_642436.html

Just get a RT-N66U, flash it with Merlin's firmware and call it a day.

>802.11n in 2k8

Ok fine,

>Just get a [Insert Asus router that supports Merlin here], flash it with Merlin's firmware and call it a day.

there. You happy?

> gaming router
Jesus, just buy fucking TP-Link

Get a repeater unit or more. It's easier and efficient than a second router

Is it good?
For smartphone they are great. But i never bhought other products from them.

It's great if you install a custom firmware on it (LEDE/OpenWrt).

memes

ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

get a mikrotik

Hey, I haven't seen a router general thread so I'm going to ask here: On Lede, how can I block access to the modem? Like, i don't want anyone on the network to be able to reach the modem (not router) login page.
I tried with op tables and that shit doesn't work.
Is there any other way?

>ubnt
Apple of networking.

When my current one dies, ill just get an ubiquiti AP

yes you should :
mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD
or
mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

linksys or asus
Use dd-wrt/merlin
Don't spend more than 200$

Just use the one in your pic OP it's good enough

Looking for something cheap and foolproof for my parent''s house.Is pic raleted any good for a 200sqm?

Wirecutter guides are pretty good, has picks for less than $200 thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

no. those expensive ones are probably going to be worse than legacy routers.
okay so just make sure there isnt a bottleneck in your speed. nic cards go from togbs to 100gbs
the only thing that would be a step up economically would be fibreoptic; they go like 1tbps
ideally, if its too big of a house, just havee a repeater or two in various locations.

Tplink Archer C50 or C1200
Which one would be a better choice?
There are atleast 3 smartphone on the channel (mine and brothers). There would be a pc on the lan. And another one on wlan. The current tplink only knows 2Ghz channel.

ASUS RT-AC5300.
Could also go for a Nighthawk X6 or X10. TP-Link’s Talon series of routers is pretty good too.

their pick is the Netgear R7000P - can you flash that with non-shitty firmware?

building your own will make a maximum performance router
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/

Get a mikrotik and stop using consumershit

this. You can get a cheap-ass wAP from mikrotik for $45

You can use an old shitty router to connect your PC via Ethernet to your primary router via WiFi.

yeah I got dd-wrt on mine. Its a good piece of kit

sorry I misread mine is a r7000 not r7000p, but I guess its the same

T-Mobile has been selling off their own-branded AC68Us for a pittance lately. I grabbed one a few months back for 45.
They come with outdated firmware that Tmo doesn't give enough of a fuck about to update, but can be flashed over to 68U firmware easily enough.

Yeah. There's probably better options but I had a second router lying around and when I got my living room devices like xbox and shield and vizio TV I decided I would use the second router as a wireless bridge. It doesn't output any signal but it is good for things that don't have wireless or to keep a better/more consistent speed. It's barely noticeable but since the NAS doesn't have wireless I needed it. It's sort of what you are asking but I I've also done a repeater before and that is a good option B to the mile of ethernet