/classical/ - Sonata Junata edition

A while back I asked if many of y'all would be interested in creating monthly listening charts. There were a lot of ideas thrown around for May, but it was probably too far into the month to create a legitimate chart.

So I'm rescheduling for June. The theme is sonatas for instruments other than piano.

Here are some pieces I would definitely like to schedule:

>Beethoven Kreutzer
>Bartok Violin Sonata 1
>Prokofiev Violin Sonata 1
>Brahms Clarinet Sonata (1?/2?)
>Bach E major Violin/Keyboard Sonata
>Bach C major solo Violin sonata
>Saint-Saens Oboe Sonata

Does anyone else have any potential additions? I'm not extremely well-versed in this genre: one of the reasons I'd like to feature a month of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp-OQl4nGc
youtube.com/watch?v=qOIuOe69taw
youtube.com/watch?v=sdgiUVSDBqk
youtube.com/watch?v=GAgjy8K_Qvs
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/
youtube.com/watch?v=uD_249J65GM
youtube.com/watch?v=UteazcJF8Og
youtube.com/watch?v=maZhs5WUnyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GKyd_2T4jsM
youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1lNL1LYlc
youtube.com/watch?v=nKWhGD3mtbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AUFeHWjS_7I
youtube.com/watch?v=O2KUTa6P6lM
youtube.com/watch?v=rUuusqy50yk
youtube.com/watch?v=SRmCEGHt-Qk
youtube.com/watch?v=GRxofEmo3HA
youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg
mega.co.nz/#F!iFJSzBiJ!mbznSzmdokhvZlo6AHpwNg
youtube.com/watch?v=ufGl19HiAC0
youtube.com/watch?v=vcVPwR0JeXA
youtube.com/watch?v=bcZhJDUFb58
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump. Don't know a lot about sonatas in particular but that seems like a good list. Will look into.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp-OQl4nGc

What you guys have been listening lately? Post great stuff

good arrangement
youtube.com/watch?v=qOIuOe69taw

How about Brahms Cello Sonata 1? Or is that too much Brahms?

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

youtube.com/watch?v=sdgiUVSDBqk

youtube.com/watch?v=GAgjy8K_Qvs
I hate this guy so much.
I hate this guy so fucking much.
I will never give in or admit anything to this faggot.
I found that you guys here might like this pleb instructor probably.

>getting this mad

Faure's birthday today, what are you listening to? Thread topic is quite relevant since he wrote a lot of chamber duos

Too lazy to come up with a proper list at the moment, but here are a few

Beethoven 7th violin sonata is good
Maybe one of the cello ones too
Alkan's cello sonata
Bartok's violin sonata (either the one with or without piano accompaniment)

Do you mean no piano, or no keyboard? Cause there are loads of organ and harpsichord sonate out there

>the theme is sonatas for instruments other than piano
>Bach E major Violin/Keyboard Sonata

Is Carmen the best example of an opera that is almost universally loved by audiences and critics alike?

How about Debussy sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp? Maybe his Cello/Violin sonata too? Also Schubert's Arpeggione sonata.

mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/

She could sonata my junata any time, if you catch my drift

Yes. It is one of the catchy and rhythmically easy ones.

Yep even Brahms, Wagner and Nietzche loved it

Almost of the others have keyboard accompaniment. The point of the "other than piano" is to exclude solo piano sonatas: you can easily make a whole month on those alone.

Brahms is one of the big guys I'm not as familiar with as I should be. I think it's a good addition (I'm going to choose the 2nd clarinet sonata as well). I'm going to try to keep it under 3 for each composer, except for maybe Bach who might get the D minor partita as well

Carmen is easily the best opera of all time. I can't believe nothing has come close considering how popular it's been for 100+ years.

Antonio Lauro, Sonata for Guitar
youtube.com/watch?v=uD_249J65GM

how many operas have you heard?

All.

thought so.

hhey guys

bach and mozart

>tfw we might never find the rest of the parts to Josquin's Rosina mass
youtube.com/watch?v=UteazcJF8Og

What're some good recordings of Xenakis orchestral works?

Does /classical/ got charts? Pastebin link? I'm a newfag and wanna know where to start.
I like piano and clarinet on my music. Beethoven's sonatas are good, so are Bartók's piano concertos.
Thanks in advance, familia.

There are a load of mega links, not a lot of the charts are great.
see

Do you come up with melodies first and then harmonize them or come up with harmonies and then put a melody on top?

What do you mean by this?

Martinů sonatina for clarinet

Usually melodies, as they're the ones that are constantly stuck in my head. Either works though

How much do you come up with at a time? Like do you write a whole movement at once or gradually write it in 4 bar intervals?

is that Beans from Even Stevens

which instrument do you use

Gradually, day by day, part by part. Max is about 1 minute of music per day, and even that will get re-edited or reworked if it isn't good enough

Quick reminder before I go to bed.

NUR

Anything with Arturo Tamayo conducting. The 5-disc Tamayo/Xenakis set is essential.

Use for what? I come up with stuff mostly on the computer

Here's a running list. Still lots of room for nominations. The order isn't final, and if we overflow, we can vote to exclude certain pieces. I'm considering dropping out the Bach Partita for variety. Plus everyone and their mother has heard it, and it's technically not a sonata.

This list also appears to be underrating Mozart. What are good Mozart sonatas that I could add to it?

K. 526

k.304

Add

Poulenc: oboe sonata, flute sonata
Saint-Saëns: Clarinet sonata
Fauré: Violin sonata
Raff: duo for cello and piano
Grieg: Cello sonata

I'm going to be out of home for a while, but here's the nominations list. There's definitely good variety here. I'm considering doubling up some days on the final list in order to maintain a daily time of around 30-60 minutes of music. The two Biber sonatas and the two Poulenc sonatas, for example, could each constitute a day. But that's to be worked out later. As is, I'm fairly satisfied.

luigi boccherini cello sonatas are essential.
we could to say that the cello as we know nowadays was invented by him...

But don't hesitate to nominate more. Again, if there's enough interest and nominations I might manipulate the schedule to allow for more inclusions.

Which cello sonatas of the set in particular would be worth a listen?

pick one
youtube.com/watch?v=maZhs5WUnyQ

Add Janáček's violin sonata.

shostakovic's cello sonata
youtube.com/watch?v=GKyd_2T4jsM

listening to Kullervo

After much deep thought, research and consideration I've concluded that clarinet is best girl.

>sounds good
>portable
>versatile
>long
>hard
>black

Thoughts?

>loves to be fingered

too much effort

this is some good shit

rostropovich is also worth a listen

bump

What's a good recording of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg?

youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1lNL1LYlc
Thoughts?

Is there any classical studies of rhythms? I love this particular tango/samba

youtube.com/watch?v=nKWhGD3mtbQ

>BachScholar
I'm going to try not to be rude, but we don't post that complete and utter putrid garbage on /classical/. Please, for the love of God find another pianist.

Also Mayuzumi did something interesting on Rhumba
youtube.com/watch?v=AUFeHWjS_7I

I knew you guys would complain about him. But I couldn't find a better version on youtube. Iara behs's interpretation is way better (it's on spotify). Anyway, I just posted the video to showcase the idea.

Anyone have Bohumil Gregor's recording of the Cunning Little Vixen?

>fuck off poly
You're welcome

good list btw

bump because qt

Are parallel fifths ever okay?

It depends solely on the context. Choral music usually doesn't have parallel fifths because "muh singers can't do it" but they are quite common in piano music and sometimes even orchestral music.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2KUTa6P6lM 5:02 is an example of them used right

Should I avoid them in orchestral writing?

Write what feels natural? They can work for an Asiatic sound or an Eastern sound or anything in between it just matters what timbres you're looking for. Some people are too purist on Bach's rules, not everything is a fugue.

BUT BACH IS GOD AND THEY SAY IT REVEALS ME AS AN AMATEUR AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do anybody know where I can find a disc or album with the works of Giuseppe Tartini?

if i want to write something in A harmonic minor mixolydian the key would have 2 flats?

>A harmonic minor mixolydian
What are you talking about those are 2 different scales. If you're talking about Mode 5 of A Harmonic Minor (Phrygian #3) the you would just write it with no sharps or flats in the key and mark the accidentals where appropriate (G# because it's the third note).

ah right thanks friend

yes and so are parallel octaves

Even fugues should be natural. Only the very first exposition needs to be carefully handled, even then guys like Reicha and shostakovich completely ignored or reinvented the old rules about what a fugue should/must be

Even the arch-contrapuntalist Bach uses them sometimes (perhaps accidentally). I think I spotted one the last time I sang through the B Minor Mass. Of course it might have been a printing error, but I do remember checking another score afterwards and noticing the same thing.

new to Sup Forums

is there more like youtube.com/watch?v=rUuusqy50yk
youtube.com/watch?v=SRmCEGHt-Qk
youtube.com/watch?v=GRxofEmo3HA

especially the first one

who's you're classicfu Sup Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg

its because parallel fifths sound fine when used with chromatic basslines, something Bach loves. They sound fine, therefor Bach used them.

try pic related

There's a download link here:
mega.co.nz/#F!iFJSzBiJ!mbznSzmdokhvZlo6AHpwNg

Smetana, Dvorak and Janacek may also be up your alley

*try pic related etc. mean for

>I listen to classical music non ironically

Why wouldn't you? it music written by highly educated geniuses, and some of the most diverse, expressive and dynamic music around, spanning over 500+ years.

would you suggest we listen to repetitive music by untrained plebs who think they're "experimenting" when really they dont even know the basics?

Popular music is a joke (that's all bands, producers, singer-songwriters, etc.)
The only things worth listening to are classical music, and traditional music. because studying a culture and the music associated with that culture is extremely interesting and there are many many unusual styles and often quite forward-thinking polyrhythms or asymmetries and dissonances.

Popular music is just drivel. Made by for and about plebs.

How the fuck could you listen to something so great ironically? Consider that you may have taken your ironic edginess too far..

How do pitchspergers rationalize the fact that almost no composers used equal temperament?

Second hand store was pretty good to me last time I visited it.

Say what you will about her Ockeghem recordings, but this is absolutely revelatory.

I second this

>Bach who might get the D

Is there much good classical (any period, though mainly before 20th century) repertoire for brass?

Woodwind, string and piano (and voice) seems to be the trifecta of classical, especially solo stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=ufGl19HiAC0

That good, huh? What do you like about it so much?

nice

Does anyone know of any other good song cycles like Winterreise?

Bump
youtube.com/watch?v=vcVPwR0JeXA

Die Schone Mullerin :^)

Hi guys what's your favorite symphony by Sibelius?

I like the first one the most. I don't quite understand why second is so much more popular, although it is beautiful too, of course.

The 4th probably. Followed by the 7th.

Dichterliebe

Just listened to all of them back to back.

5>2>6>7>1>3>>>>>>They are all pretty good except for 4, holy shit could that man have written any more of a snooze fest?

shots fired

Second hand store for second hand music.

Well you see, I've been hunting for a good recording of the Gaudeamus mass for years, and none of them prove entirely satisfying. Ensemble Corvina's recording is the earlierst, and the sound quality aside, the choir isn't exactly the greatest, and they have to be supported by the organ. A Sei Voci uses boy trebles with female sopranos, and the top line in turn feels a little sloppy. Their tempos are also on the fast side, which made Josquin's delicate lines feel very rushed. Musica Symbolica slows it down somewhat, but their recordings still feels somewhat airy and insubstantial, and for some reason they never felt entirely on pitch or on rhytm. Ensemble Metamorphoses is the latest one, and the most satisfying one so far, but now Capella Pratensis blows it out of the water in terms of how they shape the lines, the fullness of the voices, and the confidence of the singers.

hey friends, if I like the Gusty Garden Galaxy OST from Super Mario Galaxy, what else will I like

youtube.com/watch?v=bcZhJDUFb58