How the fuck do I zip files? I can't seem to zip a .tar file anywhere

How the fuck do I zip files? I can't seem to zip a .tar file anywhere.

I've tried 7zip and WINzip so far, neither of them will let me compress a tar file. a tar is just an archive or a bunch of files taped to each other but not compressed, so why the fuck won't it let me compress it?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gzip.htm
gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm
gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gtar.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HELP OR ILL ACTIVATE THE FORBIDDEN ONE

The generic "zip", at least according to the man page on my system, is identical to using tar and "compress" at the same time. Compress being a compression type, and not a very good one.

Usually, tar is used on Unix and Linux systems, and the compression is done with the very effective compression formats available on those operating systems. The main ones are Gzip, Bzip2, and Xzip. I'm sure there's ways of getting these on the Windows platform, but I wouldn't know.

Gentoo. Install. Now.

gzip file.tar

jfc learn to google

tar -zcvf tar-archive-name.tar.gz source-folder-name

literally the tar program.
(bzip2 or lzma/xz)

create:
tar -cvzf yourshit.tar.bz2 yourshit/
tar -cvJf yourshit.tar.xz yourshit/

extract:
tar -xvf yourshit.tar.bz2
tar -xvf yourshit.tar.xz

Now leave this board forever.

so as an example, I'm on a Unix system right now.
Let's say I have a file called nigger
I type "tar -cf nigger.tar nigger" and it makes the tar of it, called nigger.tar
Then I can just do "gzip nigger.tar", "bzip2 nigger.tar", or "xz nigger.tar" and get the compressed version.

what the fuck does that card even do? looks like shit to me

you want to convert a zip to a tar (or vice versa)?

>How the fuck do I zip files?

I DONT HAVE A LINUX DISTRO U FOOLS

TIME WILL SOON RUN OUT

GIVE ME A SOLUTION FOR WINDOWS. I MUST COMPRESS THIS .tar

gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm

>click on the .tar with winzip (or whatever the fuck you use)
>click extract
>You now have a zip file

Isn't extracting the act of UNCOMPRESSING a file???

fuck you are dumb, extracting in this context is just pulling the individual files from the tarball.

are you retarded? op talks about .tar, not .gz
see

I read I want to zip a file from a tar one so I went ahead and thought, "so extracting?" Re read the whole thing, nevermind what I said

he’s trying to end up with a compressed tar faggot

I JUST tried this and it tries unpacking my archive. That's NOT what I'm trying to do. I want to keep it as an archive and compress it to take up less space. Stop spamming brainlet memes at me and suggest an actual way to do this because these programs just keep giving me the option to only unpack

exodia comes soon

Use one of the ones in this post

just give up dude, find a different hobby

Not so fast fucker

unpack an then

I don't think so

im actually smarter than you

Here you go you retard. Eat this right out of my hand. I literally just searched google for "tar for windows"

gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gtar.htm

See a doctor and get your autism tuned down a few notches.

YOU FUCK! HE ALREADY HAS THE TAR!

OP just needs to compress it. He needs this

are you looking to convert a tar file to a zip file in windows if im not mistaken from your original post is that right?

>I DONT HAVE A LINUX DISTRO
How the fuck did you create the tarball, then, brainstem?

to be honest I have no fucking idea at this point.
I think he has a tarball and wants to compress it on his Windows computer, but he doesn't know how because Windows doesn't come with gzip, bzip2 or xzip.
Maybe someone gave it to him??? I'm just guessing here
This whole thread is retarded

Yes. You can however, provided the compression program is installed, also do tar -caf nigger.tar.bz2 nigger and it would archive and compress it with one command

yeah I knew that. I just wanted to break it down into steps because OP seems like a brainlet

all right if this nig wants a zip from a tar in windows just use a converter. Seriously just google "tar to zip" and it compresses for him . I just did it with cinebench, went a 200 mb tar file to an 87 mb zip file

He doesn't want to turn his .tar thing into a .zip thing. I think he wants it to still be a .tar

Well, .tar.zip, .tar.gz, .tar.xz, or .tar.bz2 to be precise

>How the fuck do I zip files?

I sincerely hope you're just pretending to be retarded.

>zip a tar file
what the fuck does OP mean by this? Seriously if he wants to compress a bunch of taped files, then he might as well zip it, no need to "zip a tar file" its superfluous.

tar is not compressed, use gzip on top to compress

>Seriously if he wants to compress a bunch of taped files, then he might as well zip it
he's trying that and it's not working for some reason.

I never said tar was compressed, must have misunderstood me. I have been completely thrown off by this thread. I would just convert the file , but whatever im going to sleep.

tar is for continuity and rapid file xfer exporting from the file, but g'night man

ya this

>discard 1 card
not too bright are ya

does that dark hole even count u cant even read it its like 100x60 pixels

It's not identical. Zip compresses each file individually, and a tar.gz would compress the entire archive as a whole.

zip -a thing.tar.zip thing.tar

"zip" has two common meanings
1. shorthand for "PKZIP", a specific compression format and program, while the original PKZIP is no longer in common use, the format it uses (".zip" files) is
2. as a common noun, referring to anything which has been placed in a compressed archive, like calling a ".tar.gz" file "zipped"

the hell is going on in this thread...

OP: Right click the file - >send to - > compressed file - > bam there you have your zip.

Or add to archive from winrar and select. zip instead of. rar