/og/ - openSUSE General

Previous thread: 1/2
>Why would I use openSUSE over the other distros?
-Graphical installer with many installation patterns for different Desktop Environments or minimal installations
-Built in snapshots(similar to Windows Restore Points) through Btrfs and Snapper: en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
-YaST GUI configuration tools
-Automated package testing through OpenQA: openqa.opensuse.org/
-Proper KDE, Firefox integration
-Stable release with Leap, latest rolling with Tumbleweed
-Service status page: status.opensuse.org/
-Find and install openSUSE packages through software.opensuse.org
-If software.opensuse.org is down, try: opensuse.pkgs.org/
-openSUSE build service, build your own packages! openbuildservice.org/

>The default fonts and codecs are lacking, can I have proper fonts, font rendering and codecs?
Yes, these are not included by default because of licensing issues: en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist
Try these:
Codecs and MS Fonts:
opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
Official instructions here: en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman
Bug reports regarding font rendering: bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=font rendering
Ubuntu font rendering:
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3

>openSUSE is horribly bloated by default!
Yes, the default installation patterns install quite a few packages, try the Server(Text Mode) or Custom option during installation to specify installation patterns:

>Why does openSUSE install all these dependencies I don't need?
The packagers determine dependencies, they've gone for features over slim.
You can turn that down.
After installation, open etc/zypp/zypp.conf and change:
solver.onlyRequires = true
solver.cleandepsOnRemove = true

Other urls found in this thread:

download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/forkbomb:/turboAMD/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#open-source_operating_systems_without_systemd_in_the_default_installation
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports
lwn.net/Articles/717489/
doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.snapper.html
bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=nvidia&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=openSUSE Tumbleweed&query_format=specific
bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1080742
bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1052344
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2/2
>Can I use RX Vega with the opensource (AMDGPU) driver?
Yes but this does require using Tumbleweed and developer repositories to ensure the latest Mesa, Xorg, OpenGL and Wine version (and others), breaking some dependencies in the process.

sudo zypper ar download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/forkbomb:/turboAMD/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ turboAMD
sudo zypper ref
sudo zypper dup --from turboAMD
Switch to turboAMD packages and keep kwin packages (break dependencies)

>Firefox is slow!
OpenSUSE will install Firefox ESR(Extended Support Release) by default because of its stability.
You can install the latest (and faster) Firefox from software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
Click "other versions" to find the package for Tumbleweed.

>Can I replace systemd with something else?
Technically yes but this this is not supported in openSUSE.
Try one of these distributions: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#open-source_operating_systems_without_systemd_in_the_default_installation

>I found a bug!
Please report it! en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

I wanna try this.
Is kde llighter than gnome?
Can the installer automatically dual boot with windows 10 or i have to partition stuff?

> Is kde llighter than gnome?
Definitely yes
> Can the installer automatically dual boot with windows 10 or i have to partition stuff?
Idk, partition stuff isn't hard

>KDE
My openSUSE tumbleweed VM with KDE shows 624M used without any applications open.

>Dual boot
Have not tried multiple OSes on same disk in a while, mostly because either linux or windows tended to fight over booting.
Highly recommend to use separate disks or even a VM.

>Can the installer automatically dual boot with windows 10 or i have to partition stuff?
I think yes, but do the reduce job with the windows partitionner before to be sure

I'll go Opensuse once they'll deliver a low-latency kernel for audio stuffs in their repo

reminder that the only way to update your system on tumbleweed is zypper dup otherwise it literally breaks your system, they dont tell you this when you install, you have to figure it out on your own or stumble upon it on community sites

lwn.net/Articles/717489/

that is literally what i suggested

>lwn.net/Articles/717489/
> That is why the consensus recommendation for Tumbleweed is to use dist-upgrade with the --no-allow-vendor-change option, regardless of whether one is an expert or not.

--no-allow-vendor-change is the default, zypper dup IS equivalent to zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change unless you change it in the settings

didn't know that

Thanks, I'll add that to next post!

how does openSUSE stands out from a whole bunch of rolling release distros in terms of stability and user-friendliness?
currently i will go for openSUSE or manjaro

>how does openSUSE stands out
by breaking itself randomly. Go with Manjaro and don't pay attention to the SSL/homepage fiasco meme

Even leap breaks itself or is it stable?

Best distro ever. I started in 98...ipchains, sendmail, apache and deslogin. Those days are lost.

I personally like OpenSUSE because of the easy setup of full disk encryption and btrfs snapshots.

I never understand how opensuse snapshot works.
For exemple if I do a zypper dup on Tumbleweed and everything breaks, can I boot on a previous snapshot ?

They made it default in July 2017

Leap is stable.
Tumbleweed is rolling and will break but for that we have snapper or even a restore through grub.
As for user-friendliness: installation wizard and GUI are well done in openSUSE, codecs and fonts need additional setup, cannot comment on Manjaro as it's been a while, will give it a go in a VM.

Yes!
doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.snapper.html
In short: you can select a restore point from grub or if opensuse boots
rollback by snapper:
sudo snapper list
sudo snapper rollback

opensuse grub restore 1/2

opensuse grub restore2/2

thx now how good is the nvidia driver support on tumbleweed ?

Can only put foeward by what others said as I don't have an Nvidia videocard at this time.

Nvidia does not actively work on the opensource driver and proprietary regularly breaks in combination with KDE.
Might be OK with any other DE?

bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=nvidia&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=openSUSE Tumbleweed&query_format=specific

Leap just had a bug fixed: bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1080742

I tried this a while ago and one of my issues was that it booted slower than pretty much anything, ubuntu, debian, arch.

I found out recently about the codec thing too.

Can confirm that.
Did a test with latest kde opensuse tumbleweed and manjaro kde in KVM with identical VMs:
openSUSE startup time: 52s
Manjaro startup time: 15s

Bug report: bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1052344
I wonder how much tweaking I can do in openSUSE to speed that up...

systemd-analyze in opensuse shows: 28s
systemd-analyze manjaro shows: 4s

opensuse systemd-analyze blame shows wicked taking 18s
Switched that to NetworkManager through Network Settings and disabled ipv6.
Boot time by my own timing is 28s now, systemd-analyze shows 10s now.
Shutdown takes considerably longer now.

Next is postfix(email service) showing 2s in systemd-analyze blame.
Disabled lvm2
Disabled that through Service Manager.
Boot time by own stopwatch is: 25s
Boot time by systemd-analyze: 8s

Not too bad!
Have to add that I timed with openSUSE booting to desktop while Manjaro is booting to loginscreen.

Not sure what else to change.
opensuse systemd-analyze blame shows;
1.759s btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service
1.355s ca-certificates.service
692ms kbdsettings.service
626ms apparmor.service
586ms display-manager.service
440ms NetworkManager.service
418ms dev-vda1.device
389ms initrd-switch-root.service
223ms upower.service
180ms rtkit-daemon.service
174ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
154ms tmp.mount
152ms var.mount
152ms boot-grub2-i386\x2dpc.mount
132ms home.mount
126ms opt.mount
122ms usr-local.mount
120ms boot-grub2-x86_64\x2defi.mount
118ms initrd-parse-etc.service
116ms systemd-journal-flush.service
105ms chronyd.service
88ms \x2esnapshots.mount
87ms udisks2.service
86ms [email protected]
85ms dracut-cmdline.service
74ms srv.mount
63ms systemd-udevd.service
61ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
56ms iscsi.service
48ms avahi-daemon.service
45ms plymouth-start.service
42ms auditd.service
40ms systemd-logind.service

manjaro opensuse systemd-analyze blame shows:
512ms lvm2-monitor.service
485ms dev-vda1.device
461ms NetworkManager.service
385ms ModemManager.service
306ms tlp.service
223ms polkit.service
172ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
124ms systemd-udevd.service
121ms systemd-journal-flush.service
101ms systemd-journald.service
79ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
78ms udisks2.service
76ms avahi-daemon.service
59ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
58ms [email protected]
55ms upower.service
45ms systemd-logind.service
40ms org.cups.cupsd.service
38ms systemd-sysctl.service
31ms systemd-modules-load.service
30ms systemd-update-utmp.service
30ms kmod-static-nodes.service
28ms dev-mqueue.mount

No apparmor or firwall by default for manjaro, certificates done by packages instead of a service?

I may try Tumbleweed since KDE Neon is being a dick and booting into a black screen and I want last KDE without using Arch.

I need to know like, is btrfs that good? I'm given extra choices in here, the default one is like different from the other kids and I have no fucking idea. I'm installing this shit on a small SSD with TRIM support and all that shit.

The rollback features are nice but they do require some diskspace.
Make sure to configure the amount of snapshots like this:
sudo snapper set-config NUMBER_LIMIT=2-10 NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT=4-10
Tweak numbers as needed.

is a fucking nightmare, but that mostly thanks to nvidia, sometimes it feels like that they are actively trying to sabotage the linux desktop

fedora or suse?

Have little experience with Fedora myself but here's what I can come up with:

fedora releases every 6 months, fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle
opensuse has a stable and a rolling release

fedora has selinux as a security mechanism
opensuse has apparmor (and selinux optionally)

fedora (redhat) dropped Btrfs, opensuse still has it

fedora is more gnome oriented, opensuse has gnome but shines in kde

fedora has a livecd, opensuse does not afaik

opensuse has yast, gui config tools for just about everything, don't know about fedora

Both are backed by a solid company, both Redhat and SLES are big in businesses.

i know those things, but thanks for wanting to help me. i guess the biggest difference is in the release cycle. i feel like the rolling release approach to things is kinda inferior to something like 6 month release cycle, cause when do you really need that absolutely latest software?

although i have to say i like that opensuse leans on kde and is german

Why are you people trying to push this general that is quite obvious no one cares about if not a dozen of people?

How does Tumbleweed compare to Arch in terms of stability and bugs

With very new hardware and if you want to use Vulkan and latest OpenGL versions.

I like openSUSE and want to share and discuss it, and apparently so do others, if you don't like it, don't read or post in here and leave, save your energy.

I'd say more stable than Arch?
Especially if you use Leap, as for Tumbleweed, eh, depends, at least you'll be able to roll back with Snapper/Btrfs.

>15 poster / 30 replies average
There is too little people to justify a general, even if you like it really really really much.