Thinking of buying a 55'' 4K TV and using it as my main computer monitor, It's 60hz and 6ms response time...

Thinking of buying a 55'' 4K TV and using it as my main computer monitor, It's 60hz and 6ms response time, SURELY this is better than spending the same amount of money on a monitor that'll be half the size and 1440p at best.

Why the fuck not. Go for it.

It's going to be way too big and it's going to fuck up your eyes and hurt your neck.

depends on where you gonna sit. if it's gonna be in front of your nose, than go for a regular monitor. if you'll be decently spaced out from the screen, then sure, go for it.

I've done something similar and it doesn't work very well in my opinion
It's simply too large

Enjoy being blinded.

The TV will be atleast 80cm away, why will I be blinded?

frames > resolution
go 1440p/144hz

>go 1440p/144hz
The monitor I have now is fine, something 4k is alright for browing facebook, youtube, and netflix, that's kinda what i want it for, idk though

You can get normal 43" 4k monitors, TVs are shit because:
long response (that 6ms is "best case")
GLOSSY screen (literally see your ugly face on everything dark)
flickering backlight
only VA/MVA panels, no IPS (you're obv not going for OLED, but that will instantly burn-in since pc image has ton of static)

I'm jealous

Jealous, why?

Gaming or productivity?

>muh gaymz

First of all that size is going to be basically unusable up close, I use a 32" monitor and really any larger than this will require physically moving your neck a lot, so you'll fuck up your neck.

Second, the PPI (pixels per inch) is going to be shit even at 4k, because 55" is massive. That's 80 PPI which is even worse than 1080p @ 24" so the image quality will be pretty bad.

6ms response time isn't too bad but TVs usually come with a lot of latency (not to be confused with pixel response time) so often pretty useless for gaming.

You'd be far better off with a proper monitor like the one I have, 4K @ 32" IPS 4ms, good for regular workstation use, about 140 PPI

I got a 4k monitor and regret it. 1440/144hz is where it's at

I went with a 42.5" 4k, about 104PPI

4:4:4 @ 60hz 4k with 4-6ms response time. Also has a litany of PIB and PIP options.

>PIB
PBP
fucking auto correct.

TVs make dog shit monitors

because of scaling, you gain 0 screen realestate over a 1440p

That only works on smaller 4k displays.

For example those 28-32" 4k monitors generally require 150% scaling which turns the 4k into effective 1440p resolution.

However at larger sizes, generally above 36", you can set the scaling to normal 100% and you have full 4k resolution to use on the desktop and you can still read everything just fine.

This is retarded, I’ve got a 40“ 4K TV and that’s a bit too big sitting over a meter away. Only use it for watching shows, videos and sometimes a movie.

36" monitors aren't comfortable for desktop use

Says who? I'm using a 42.5" on my desktop currently.

You just need enough space.

Enjoy your torticollis

hurts to watch

Lol?

It's wall mounted and can be moved back more than 3 feet from where I am seated.

It can also be brought forward and angled to my bed so i can watch stuff from bed.

It's by far the best setup i've ever used.

I went from dual matching 25" 1440p to one 25" 1440p and a 42.5" 2160p.

If you honestly think this setup is too large I just assume you're a manlet or something, at seated position my eyes are centered on the monitor, no neck pains whatsoever.

Please explain to me what height has to do with moving your head around like a damn bobble head

This looks like ass cancer

Because I don't have to move my head unless I want to look at my other monitor?

Again, I am sitting over 3 feet back from the 4k monitor, the entire frame is in view at one time. No head movement.

Nice try but the human eye only has 3 degrees of detailed vision

So what distance do you magically think would make it better?

This is 100% about seated distance from the screen, so in your opinion, what would be a "perfect" distance to sit in front of a 42.5" 4k display?

10 feet. It's a fucking TV

>no IPS
You know they have variants right?
If you are that worried about lag A-IPS has you covered.

You're a fucking moron.

3.3 to 5 feet is the recommended distance for a 40" 4k display.

If I am right up against my keyboard that's just about 3 feet. Sitting back in my chair puts me about 4.5 feet away. Again, it's fucking perfect.

>uses a chart for TV viewing distances to justify using his TV as a monitor

It's not a TV, it's literally an LG monitor, it doesn't have a TV tuner and has 6 inputs.

Do the math yourself, he isn't wrong. Pretty much all professional recommendations for resolution and screen size agree with what he said.

>it's not a TV because it doesn't have a tuner

According to this he's still too close

TV tuner and IO are literally the only difference between a TV and a monitor, now you're just making yourself look retarded.

Why don't you stop now while you're ahead?

It's not about seeing pixels, it's about using an oversized monitor at your desk

He said he sits between 3 and 4.5 feet.
The MAX recommended distance is 4.7 feet.

LOL no TVs have shit scales and horrendous input lag

Any large format display like this will have "horrendous input lag" if you compare it to a 24" 1080p or something like that.

For it's size, it's input lag is better than the TVs on the market. That's why LG markets and sells it as a monitor, not a TV.

I'm using that 43" inch monitor as well and I code on it, literally nothing over sized about it . I open 4 files at once and see ~200 lines at once and you're a faggot (not gonna post a photo because you'll steal my kode)

You can always tell when someone has never used a setup like that.

>it must be shit because it's big despite my never having experienced anything of that size and resolution

Kek, grow up retard.

Input lag is gonna feel like shit, I use a tv to watch shit from my pc but I'd never actually use it for anything else. Input lag is simply too much

Some TVs are okay, but you need to buy specific models that are known to be decent for input lag, the majority suck.

Shit there are good tvs? Even if there are I doubt a 4k tv is gonna have good input lag, I heard some of those are fucking 30hz

Like I said, you can't just go out and buy one and have it be good, do your research.

Older display adapters can only drive them at 4k 30hz

TV's usually aren't flicker free, they'll cause more eyestrain at lower rightness levels.