Lets talk about Dell Latitudes

Lets talk about Dell Latitudes
>not subject to the thinkmeme tax on ebay
>more serviceable than thinkpads or elitebooks, can easily change out the heatsink with just a few screws for example. On think pads you need to disassemble the whole machine to properly clean the fan or repaste
>latitudes use regular dGPUs compared to firepro/quadro shit, meaning you can actually use them for games and whatnot
>supported msata much earlier than the other professional/business laptops. Looking at you HP.
>Kept the classic style keyboard pretty much all the way until the XPS line, much superior to chicklet garbage.
>Kept the thicc magnesium skeleton even after lelnovo got rid of theirs.
And most importantly
>doesn't look like a fucking virgin machine.

Other urls found in this thread:

ktgee.net/post/49736465981/dell-guide
web.archive.org/web/20170206222521/http://ktgee.net/post/49736465981/dell-guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So which one should I buy then

Whichever one (you) want user

Can they have real CPUs at a small size like the T470p or are they all low voltage dual cores?

Yes, M and QM
And I forgot to mention that pretty much every model 14' and bigger are socketed.

but can you libreboot it?

Comfy

Now why would I want transsexual software running on my computer?

who tf cares if a faggot wrote it as long as it works
But yeah, let's say I want to run coreboot on it, since you're a repressed homo Sup Forumsfag

>not wanting faggotry in my life means I'm a fag or afraid of fags
love this meme

I haven't read libreboot source code but I'm pretty sure you won't find a lot of dicks in it.
Just admit that you're a repressed faggot, stop changing argument and tell me if I can run coreboot on your shitty dell laptop you're attempting to shill

Latitudes are shit, xps or precision if you want a Dell.

Want to consider buying one of these but I have no idea what models to consider, and I can't find any information on old models (can't afford new atm). For example, what's the equivalent of a T430?

>I haven't read libreboot source code but I'm pretty sure you won't find a lot of dicks in it.
Just like you won't see dicks on the Vatican just because it was built by ho-WAIT A SECOND that's exactly what you'll see

A lot of them were shit though, I had an E6400 for a while and that was hot fucking garbage.'

Bought a refurb Latitude 7480 directly from dell with 3 year onsite warranty and it won't wake from sleep and the video goes nuts if the laptop is picked up in a certain way, Dell is giving me the runaround on a motherboard replacement.

e6430

got that one, way better than T440p which I own as well.

> comparing renaissance art to some faggots' source code
just come out of the closet already
and btw it's vatican we're talking about, it has more pedos than fags living there

Aren't most pedos also homosexual? That has always striked me as odd. They don't want lolis, they want to abuse small boys. Well, it makes sense if you think about it.

Thanks, looks promising. I'm getting an i7 4600M E6440 for the same price as an i5 3210M T430... might pull the trigger.

ktgee.net/post/49736465981/dell-guide

Don't just trust the model name - that i7 has 2 cores 4 threads; check out the benchmarks. Still, you can change it to a more powerful haslel i7 if you want to; but personally I never cared enough to do that - and I ran gentoo on it for 2 years.

IMO these are the advantages of e6440 over the t440p:
> no dGPU - fuck that shit
> ExpressCard slot - nice for an eGPU
> kinda better keyboard - don't care since I use mech, but you might want to know that
> the trackpad is not a pile of trash

the disadvantages:
> lelnovo's FP scanner has somewhat better drivers than the dell one
> better nipple. I don't use it, but still
> the latitude is a dust magnet. Clean it up often

the fuck would I know. But, there probably are different kinds of pedos around; the catholic priests harass the boys most apparently because the girls aren't allowed to be altar servers.

Err, web.archive.org/web/20170206222521/http://ktgee.net/post/49736465981/dell-guide

(((dell)))

>doesn't look like a fucking virgin machine.
yes it does

The problem isn't that it was written by a faggot. It's that the faggot that wrote it tried to destroy the Free Software Foundation accusing Richard Stallman of faggotphobia. I won't support this shit and neither should you.

What's the equivalent of an X230 with classic keyboard?
>12''
>good trackpoint
>IPS screen
>good keyboard
>swappable battery and configurable charge limits to prolong lifetime
>thinklight
>usb3
>ssd and wwan slots
Obviously some things can be compromised - I don't actually expect a thinklight. But I'd like to at least know if it's comparable enough to consider.

Yeah, I saw that it's a 2c4t. Don't mind that, performance is good enough for me. The 4600M was just the only model available here.
Also fuck I just had an Acer and I went insane trying to keep that glossy back clean. Is it that bad again?

>Lets talk about Dell Latitudes
No. Buy a Prestigio SmartBook 133S.

The correct term is pedosexual, you Sup Forums refuse.

I just want my machine to be as free as possible, even coreboot would be fine with me. Thinkpads have a point on that over the other business laptops. Haven't done that yet on none of my laptops, but if I ever got one myself I'd check that shit first.

Nah, it's rubberized, just go with the window cleaning spray and some cloth once in a while and you'll be fine

What about the HP line?
Looking for workstation i7 quad

>Prestigio
Seriously?

>>thinkmeme tax on ebay

elaborate.

Any latitudes with a glass touchpad? It's the thing I miss the most compared to Elitebooks.

neckbeard tax

Homos "recruit" by molesting young boys, it's how they propagate and why they've been almost universally reviled through human history.

Used to have an e6420
>Back plate warped a tiny bit and had insufficient amont of screw points so there was an annoying gap between the lower and upper casing
>Quadro GPU which was pretty much the same at gaming as the Intel HD and drew power on Linux if I didn't have bumblebee or a custom acpi_call script to turn it off
>Screen was a crappy, low contrast, colorless TN 900p with massive bezels
>average battery life but massive size and weight for the 14" class
>hinges (screws) always loosened up with use and had to tighten once a month

Otherwise pretty great. But I love my x230 now and it's literally perfect for me.

no they might have a preference but may rape either opportunistically

Lets talk about Panasonic Toughbooks
>Depreciates quickly, current models affordable secondhand
>High quality fasteners don't strip
>Great build quality
>Easy to disassemble
>Body made of magnesium for fun arson on the go
>Handle for maximum ergonomics
>All sorts of fun options
>Screens readable in direct sunlight
>Great aftermarket
>The whole computer is the heatsink
>Chad brick

>socketed Intel mobile CPUs after '13
Sounds like a load of shit, where are you getting this crap from?

These are great. the E6xxx series were pretty good as well, i had a 6430 at my last job running Win 7 64bit, 8gb RAM and an Intel 520 SSD and it flew.
the old elitebooks are also patrician choices H O W E V E R disregard the latest probook/elitebooks are they are utter trash.

have you tried an msata ssd in yours?
Also, what's wrong with the dgpu in the 6440? seems pretty decent for games and amd drivers are fantastic on linux now.

ebay sellers tend to have this autistic thing where if they see more views on their pages they up prices.
It's happening with everything, even watches and retro games.
pajeets and normies are getting in on the thinkmeme because neckbeards and autists kept making youtube videos.
So now the older ones are expensive because of the coreboot retards and the newer ones are expensive because of normies.
Every single pajeet ive seen in coffee shops around NYC has a thinkpad now, and these dumb fucks are always running windows 7 for some reason.
Probably the default install the ebay sellers threw on them kek

the 6440 has a socketed gpu and it's a 4th gen I'm pretty sure.

aren't zbooks supposed to be really good? better than newer thinkpads tier?

>on thinkpads you need to disassemble the whole machhine to properly repaste
Lol what? On my 5th gen x1 carbon which is as modern as thinkpads get I literally only have to remove 3 screws after removing the bottom cover and the fan/heatsink assembly comes out for a repasting. Yes that's a 2017 x1 carbon.

>>doesn't look like a fucking virgin machine.
OP, it's never the machines that make you out to be a virgin or a tard or a chad.

I had to literally take apart my T500 to repaste it, same with my X200, X201, T61, T60, T420 and T530.
Meanwhile my elitebook 8470p was just popping the backplate off and removing the heatsink. Really god tier design on HPs part, I just wish it supported msata.
I'm glad the e6440 does, gonna order one tonight.

Even chad will get shit for not having a mac or other "luxury" ultrabook
I've seen it with my own two eyes

i've installed two Zbooks, one for a prototyping company to run a laser inspection arm and one for a home user to run autocad - they are very well built, fast and have nice screens. i've not taken one apart because we ordered them to spec so they were prebuilt from HP.

I've not used a P-series (it's rival) but it would have to be damn good to top it.

Yeah, totally buying a 14 inch one when they get cheap

I wish a faggot/ tranny had written Sup Forums so you'd leave.

Is this a real thing that people believe?

That's from 2013 you dumb faggot

>Lets talk about Panasonic Toughbooks
Alright I like Toughbooks
>>Depreciates quickly, current models affordable secondhand
bull fucking shit. They're easily triple the price the equivalent business laptop
>>High quality fasteners don't strip
>>Great build quality
>>Easy to disassemble
>>Body made of magnesium for fun arson on the go
>>Handle for maximum ergonomics
>>All sorts of fun options
>>Screens readable in direct sunlight
>>Great aftermarket
>>The whole computer is the heatsink
>>Chad brick
Yeah I agree with the rest

And most important:
Can you get new batteries (produced less than 2 years ago) for used models?

>Every single pajeet ive seen in coffee shops around NYC has a thinkpad now, and these dumb fucks are always running windows 7 for some reason.
A lot of professional resellers install Win 7 or 10 PRO.

Fuck, I need to out-hipster them. Maybe I should get a G4 MacBook.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Gay, is in fact, Gay/Pedophile, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Gay plus Pedophile. Gayness is not a paraphilia unto itself, but rather another paraphilia in a fully functioning group of paraphilias, which includes Pedophilia comprising a full gay disorder, as defined by the APA...

Hard kek : _____)

A closet agefluid tranny ran it for over a decade.

Got a 256Gb one there right now, it's great - apart from the fact that you need to remove a corner piece to put it in place - but yeah, that's a minor annoyance.

>what's wrong with the dgpu in the 6440
I believe it's about all of the dGPUs; it might be a subjective thing, but I just don't want that shit in a business laptop. I mean, there are chips made for gaming - real, desktop GPUs; while the dGPU just sits there and draws power so I can game on it once in a blue moon, on low settings, in 720p. Come on.

And, if it was not enough, there's some weird fuckery going on with the ports in there. I don't remember the details, but apparently Intel was able to implement a proper powersaving functionality in their iGPUs, while AMD/nVidia didn't, so they route the dedicated through the integrated one so they can turn off the latter using a switch in the former - or something along these lines. I use linux and I just don't want to deal with that shit when it breaks - because we all know that it usually does. My iGPU is perfectly capable to drive the internal FHD display + an external 4k one.

Which Latitudes have a clitmouse comparable to Thinkpads?

E6430 Win 7 here
How bad will I be hit by Spectre/Meltdown patches? Was thinking of moving to dual boot LTSB/Ubuntu

Dell has pushed an update for the E6440 BIOS.

Put it wasn't online for long...

I guess, this patch is making the system unstable.

Just wait (tm) until a real patch is ready.

Also, when i look at the new """""pro"""""" laptop from Dell, I'm crying.

Yep - it's a real thing, and many people do believe it (although unfortunately many don't)

Use a threadlocker if you have a problem with a fastener backing off. Both of my Latitude E5400s came with what looked blue Loctite or whatever the generic is on all the fasteners I had any reason to look at.

Le freedom

What's the variant that looks the one in the OP picture but it has a ridged metal dark gray back cover instead of smooth blue? That one looks really aesthetic.

No, you need an old Toshiba portable running MS-DOS

too bad latitudes have shit trackpoint.

Do it, they're great

Precision better

I'd like to know this too. Or hell, any models closely resembling any of the x series thinkpads for that matter, since I just want portability with a decent screen+keyboard.

I have a D630 that lives in my car to run diagnostic software.
Just werks, you can get them for like $30 bucks now too.

HEY KID I HEARD YOU WANT TO BECOME G O D L I K E
>corning 1080p IPS gorilla glass
>touch wacom display with pen
>8th gen quad core cpu with hyperthreading
>thunderbolt 3
>60 fucking watt hours battery
>13 inch screen - literally perfect size
>complete stack of ports
>4g lte support
>fast as fuck samsung m.2 ssd
>backlit keyboard
>rigid as fuck build quality
>2 in 1 for maximum usability (drawing tablet/note taking/tend mode for watching movies)
>fingerprint sensor
>small and portable as fuck charger
>god tier design
REPEAT AFTER ME:
BEST LAPTOP OF 2018

My fucking door pocket flashlight has more watt hours than that. Stupid.

I mean for fucks sake, that's the capacity of four Iphones. If you haven't seen an iPhone battery, they're quite fucking small. You lay them out next to any laptop and think, well why haven't they fitted it with more? It's only bloody 5% of the volume of the laptop for fucks sake.

Oops, they are 10.45wh, I thought they were 14.5. Still though, not too big.

6x the battery capacity seems pretty reasonable to me. 99Wh laptop batteries are already big and heavy, so 60Wh is a tradeoff, and batteries cannot be larger than 99Wh because of fire risk.

They're also heavy as fuck and have shitty pointing sticks. Oh, and they're ugly.

Still waiting for a viable alternative to the Chinkpad. They've sunk so far but it doesn't matter; the competition is in free fall...

But that's the X1 Yoga.

E7440 for work laptop.
E5430 for personal comfy.
E4200 to torture every now and then.
D800 when I need legacy shit done fast.

I'm a fucking whore for Latitudes. Those poor mSATA drives. I love my little 4200, but goddam, it it not worth the pain of that old drive or ponying up for a new one.

Got a refurbished precision 7520 for cheap cause I'm in MSDN, loving it so far. Powerful, looks nice, solid keyboard. My only small issue is the use of a quadro gpu over a comparable standard one, but that's very minor since I use it for CAD a lot anyway.

Even with the meme tax they are cheaper than brand new shitops but they arent the deal that they used too to be.

>Still waiting for a viable alternative to the Chinkpad.
It's either ChinkPads or MacBooks, frankly.

no one want quality laptops they just want the cheapest MS word machine they can get.

"professional"
Faggots filliping laptops on ebay will forever be bottom of the barrel retards.

Can you elaborate? What corner piece?
Also with the AMD gpu that the 6440 has, you can just use PRIME for on the fly switching and it doesn't affect battery life when it's off.
So running DRI_PRIME=1 wine/game/whatever would let you use the GPU for the specific program. AMD has a much better switching solution than trying to deal with nvidia's shit.

Why would you need a bios patch if linux is already patched?
>Those poor mSATA drives. I love my little 4200, but goddam, it it not worth the pain of that old drive or ponying up for a new one.
What did he mean by this??

>Dell
You're joking.

*ChinkPads or FagBooks

MacBooks have no pointing stick, a zero travel shitlet keyboard, and a bit rotted bastard Unix OS that will soon be surpassed by WSL. Plus, I am not up for retraining my muscle memory to use Mac modifier keys.

It's Chinkpads forever for me I'm afraid.

I was with you until
>a bit rotted bastard Unix OS

XNU is weird unstable shit and the userland gets more and more dated with each passing day. Homebrew is a kludge. Building your own GNU tools for a daily driver OS in $CURRENT_YEAR is just absurd.

>Building your own GNU tools for a daily driver OS in $CURRENT_YEAR is just absurd.
Are you talking shit about Gentoo?

Because fuck memepads, and fuck fuck you if you're so poor that they are all you can afford.

Potato niggers are jews?

But Dells are cheaper, Justin.

Portage is actually the best bet for getting real tools on macOS because it's self contained and thus won't break in bizarre ways when the OS gets updated. It's still a pain in the ass compared to binary packages though.

>it's self contained
But so are NixOS and pkgsrc.

Fine too. Portage is just bigger really.

None of them beat apt or dnf though. Waiting for a build or tweaking flags to get random bullshit to work is just a waste of time. I mean yeah, I've done it, it's fun for a while but eventually you want to do something else.