Where did the “creatives use macs” meme come from? Is it marketing...

Where did the “creatives use macs” meme come from? Is it marketing? It seems like every artist or writer or designer or sometimes even programmer uses a Mac.

Why?

It just werks

successful marketing then feedback loop reinforcing it

It stems from a time when Adobe and a bunch of other creative programs only worked on Apple computers. Apple pounced on this, and used it in marketing campaigns in the late 80s.

Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class in college

Nah, Amiga was the original computer for creatives.
It was even introduced by Andy Warhol.

This never actually happened. The marketing was always a blatant lie.

Most people are retarded. Apple computers require the least amount of intelligence to maintain a functioning computer for the longest amount of time. And when you break it, they don’t even make you feel stupid about it, because they have to get a Genius to fix it for you.

this. my dad's 2011 mbp is still running fine and i rarely have to help him with it

because you dont have to focus on fixing things. they just work. you have to pay more for that but your time is usually more valuable so it works out.

also its kind of dies out since jobs died. the company is a piece of shit like the rest of them now.

So many children in this thread it makes my head hurt. Like anyone from the 90s can't deny this, no matter how much you hate fagOSX:

I'll just green text it in elementary mode:

>Apple was the first to use icc profiling
>Apple introduce lots of software geared to creative content, such as Final Cut and Logic
>Adobe brothers originally made Photoshop exclusively for the Macintosh in 1990
>Steve jobs purchased the license of Pixar, something that wasn't being done at cinema level the time of their animations; and funded the development of graphical tools for animation and graphic design for that company.
>Adobe and Mac were fuck buddies in the 90-early 2000's.
>Wacom tablets drivers
>old Apple is notorious for hiring designers at their hub to make their laptops appealing
>Older apple machines had lower audio latency for music production
>Older apple machines (i.e towers from the glory days) were built around rendering shit for cinematic purposes
>Apple selectively chose software for content creation over gaming and business applications
>Adobe icc profiles first introduced on apple
>in the 90's apple had more CAD, graphic, animation, video, and studio software than windows

I hate modern apple, but old apple was god tier.

Not precisely.
Adobe developed for the Mac since the early days because the were courting an M&A exit with Apple. They didn't count on Jobs' neurosis, but his company did milk it for all it could.

This, combined with the fact that PPC Macs were actually better than their Windows counterparts, and that Mac OS wasn't a steaming heap of horseshit.

>Macs were actually better than their Windows counterparts
Again, this is just marketing. It was never true.
MAC has always bee less powerful at higher prices.

Karlie Kloss is the most breakthrough programmer and she uses a Mac.

This has been true in the Intel Mac era. Obviously you haven't seen PowerPC Macs. Not to mention the Intel architecture itself has evolved greatly since the days of P5.

Pretty much this.

>Older apple machines had lower audio latency for music production
Macs still have the best audio implementation of any OS, plug in any DAC or extension hardware and it just works, plus programs can have direct/exclusive access to the audio hardware.

>Older apple machines (i.e towers from the glory days) were built around rendering shit for cinematic purposes
Because the power macs had insane FP performance on account of being based on IBM's POWER architecture, which course was also insanely hot and didn't do as well in more basic computing tasks, but if you had a use for it, it was way faster. The G5 even remained faster than the Intel Macs for a while in FP-heavy workloads like rendering in Cinema 4D

thats like saying "Smokey" is the best firefighter in the world

she's just a corporate mascot

Shut up you couldn't code a roll of toilet paper to wipe your ass with, troll!

/thread
Macshit has been getting BTFO in software for 3 decades.

Another thing to mention is that Macs used FireWire, which was preferred by pros for a few reasons but mainly that unlike USB, it doesn't load the CPU, which is useful in situations when the CPU is at 100% usage as it prevents dropouts. It's not as much of an issue today now that computers have tons of cores and threads, but back when it was fairly easy to overload the processor with running too much at once, it made a big difference for stuff like sound and video capture.