Why does fucking google keep pumping out new android versions when the phone manufacturers dont give a fuck about...

Why does fucking google keep pumping out new android versions when the phone manufacturers dont give a fuck about updates and big majority of the people are still stuck on old versions? Not even mentioning that updates are so fucking rushed and unoptimized that they fuck the phone performance up.

This shit is seriously pushing me to ios

>inb4 autistic android fanboys start having retardrage

Other urls found in this thread:

android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/
c.mi.com/thread-787335-1-0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EksRYrLD5jY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they only seem to care about their phones (Nexus/Pixel).

So buy a Pixel or an iPhone otherwise you are fucked

That's why I disabled updates on my android.

Why does the Linux kernel team develop kernels that many with commercial servers don't adopt immediately?

Why aren't you always using the newest smartphone by "your" manufacturer?

Because that is how a fucking free ecosystem works. Not everyone gets the newest shit immediately, they get and use it when they want.

Not really true. They've been trying to get Android One off the ground for years, and it seems to finally be happening with the release of some decent phones supporting it like the Xiaomi Mi A1 and Moto X4. Those all get updates direct from Google once a month, are already on Oreo and have already been confirmed to be getting Android P when it arrives.

There are no updates because it has to do with the way the code is branched out and developed to support particular device. Kernel code/drivers are branched out early in phone development and quickly diverge from upstream. It takes too much effort to reintegrate and rebase all changes against new AOSP or Linux. The manufacturer abandons all the work and starts working on the new one.

I love when Libtard roasties cry

>he doesn't use lineage os
You and ios deserve each other, go for it.

Lineageos kills itself every 2 months, no thanks

>12% of market share still on 4.4
Yeah its a fucking disaster

They are all identical so I don't see what difference what versions you are on. I often forget that my phone is even on oreo.

No they are not

who is this qt?

Name one significant difference between nougat and oreo. You can't, there is not even a meaningful difference between oreo and lolipop. Security is the only difference but android's security is garbage regardless.

Kit Kat and Oreo

Unironically my gf

android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/
Come on man at least do your research.

I use the picture in picture and new in-app autofill pretty often.

Look up what project Treble is, the Android update system should improve from version 8 and onwards.

>Why does fucking google keep pumping out new android versions when the phone manufacturers dont give a fuck about updates
Not their problem. Pixels are up to date.
>Not even mentioning that updates are so fucking rushed and unoptimized that they fuck the phone performance up.
False.

Not false.

I don't need to do research because I use a phone with oreo on it every day, it's the same shit.
>autofill
why would you use that awful botnet garbage
>picture in picture
You could already do split screen
How is any of that worth getting upset over if you don't get an update?

Then you clearly haven't used pure Android on your phone.

>Google pushes out Android updates for everyone including manufacturers to implement
>Manufacturers drag their feet, add their own bells and whistles, skins, crapware, siphoning of user personal info and touch inputs, etc.
>Manufacturers need an additional several months to test their frankensteined abortion of a phone OS before releasing to the public
>everyone blames Google

STFU

Android has been around for 9 years now and EVERY YEAR google pulls some NEW AND IMPROVED way to ensure devices get updates and it NEVER FUCKING WORKS.

OP you have 2 options: Never buy an android phone over $300, just buy used flag ships off ebay every year 1 year after they're released or buy an iOS device.

Only a fool would drop $500+ on an android device when it'll be abandon instantly. Look at the v20, that phone retailed for $800 and LG just dropped it without providing 1 major OS upgrade.

>Implying it's not google's fault
Android should be like windows, I don't need my PC's manufacturer to release an update to windows I just dl the newest version and install it. Google built shit shit system and now it'll be it's undoing. Fucking symbian was better than this garbage

>Android should be pulled windows
No, fuck you kill yourself you braindead faggot

>Fucking symbian was better than this garbage
It wasn't, there whooping one manufacturer making Symbian phones. Technically two, but they weren't even compatible despite having one OS.

Faggot

Or just stop being retarded and install LOS.

Tbh im thinking about buying an iPhone 7+ and use that

Windows allows anyone to upgrade their shit as long as the hardware is powerful enough. Android is a piece of shit garbage at this point. Adoption rates are going down because people aren't upgrading devices as rapidly as they were before. Apple was pants of the head retarded for pricing the iPhone X $1000+, if they had kept the price to ~$700 they would have taken market share in America.

I work in an office where everyone makes at least $90k/year and I'm one of 2 people with an android device. Apple should focus on getting iOS into people hands who make under $60k/year. It's better than android at this point.

Lineageos is buggy and unreliable as fuck, you would know that if you would use it faggot

you literally cant peove this qrong, its a fact

This. I never pay over 100USD for a phone, be it a middle ground new or a flagship used.

>Buy a $800+ device
>Rely on poo in the loo devs on xda and western hobbyist who contribute whenever the fuck they feel like for updates

Oh yeah that's a real smart idea jackass

I've been using it since 2013, stop buying shitty phones.
As long as loos are doing a better job than thousands of manufacturer employees I don't fucking care.

Show me 1 los thread on xda where people dont complain about bugs :^} just 1

> spend $800 on phone

Everything has bugs, especially when people are actively trying to break their shit. Stock ROMs, especially heavily modified ones like MIUI, have more bugs and more complaints than LOS. Custom ROMs for my phone(OP5) have everything working. Yes, even VOLTE. And many have included patches to support camera from stock ROM, so the quality is the same.

So buggy and unreliable

Only on trash phones.

Why should what 3rd party vendors do with their Android updates stop Google from developing new versions of their own OS? You aren't making sense.

post more then

Are you retarded?

you are retarded

this

>Are you retarded?
No.

(You) are retarded

I thought it was Zoe Quinn

That's because you are poor?

>iToddler subhumans still think OS updates are the same thing as security updates

The Galaxy S5, released 2014, STILL gets security updates in 2018, and is immune to Meltdown/Spectre with its SD801 with Krait cores.

The iShit 5 became an unusable brick 1 year after release due to lagOS malware.

The other cellphone manufacturers are free to use whatever OS they want.

Mi a1 owner here. I feel offended by the company. Their android one phone is android one only by name. Google doesn't give a shit about updates for it, they're driven by Xiaomi. It's been 2 months since last update, which is buggy as shit 8.0 oreo that fucked up battery life (they pulled update twice from ota). Also they broke gplv2 by not releasing kernel sources, until all developers lost the interest in the device. They eventually released the sources some time ago, but they come with broken device tree and for today there is no good and working properly custom rom. Not to mention the community is full of pajeets who are unable to communicate and spam XDA with the same questions over and over (idiots roots phones to steal apks, then ask how to unroot, then how to root again, etc).

This phone is disaster so far.

please show an up to date version of that

That article is partially FUD, I have an old iphone 4s that I still use and it runs fine except for js heave websites (which are most sites these days).

I think it's that Google tend to dive right into things without really thinking it through.. they launch countless projects that then die on the vine because they were just a half-baked idea that they never polished or promoted at all. They have a "shotgun" approach to things, and polish is something that only happens after a long period of something being a fucked up pile of shit that enough people somehow actually use despite it being a pile of shit.

This.

Pretty much why I left android. Fucking annoying.

Yeah sure and then they drop support after a year. I had a phone on this program, it was called end of life after one single year and no more updates. Suggestion, replace it with the new one that was basically the same exact fucking hardware.

Between M and N we got defaultly enabled multiwindow which I use at least once a week, making it the most used OS feature on my device.

I honestly don't know what came in Oreo.

How does Microsoft do it then? You can get Windows 10 running on a computer from 2005 and it will still get all feature updates.

Because Android One was a complete disaster until last year's relaunch, since the phones were complete shit with ultra-budget specs and nobody bought them. They actually have decent hardware backing things up this time, thanks to companies like Xiaomi, HTC and Motorola joining the program.

The February update for the A1 has been available for a while now in beta form, if you want to manually install it.

c.mi.com/thread-787335-1-0.html

Microsoft handles all the bugtesting and code for all hardware configurations in house.
Google does not.

for the same reason they pump out versions of chrome

remember when firefox was version 3.0.3 3.0.4 3.0.5?
then they switched into google mode... version 5, 6, 26, 31, 42, 57

The computer from 2005 doesn't have a locked bootloader that only allows you to run the manufactures' special version of windows, retard. It literally has nothing to do with Google

Just standardize the whole shit. They should make Android modular and maintain a repo of proprietary blobs, so all they need to do is push a update and get the blobs from there. Or at least insert something on Android's license that forces manufactures to keep their shit updated.

All users are free to use any os they want

"Android One" will hopefully solve this.

This, just add some guidelines to CDD and GMS. If they want to fit in the "Android ecosystem" they will have to follow the rules.

No way in hell I'd ever post my real girlfriend on Sup Forums, but hey that's you.

Microsoft Windows doesn't have this problem.
youtube.com/watch?v=EksRYrLD5jY

x86 vs arm differences

no

Why not just flash the newer versions? Google has the ROMs on the Android website.

Kernel sources

Proprietary drivers, bootloader fuckery

That's not even remotely true.

I ask myself that question often. but I never had an update that fucked up my phone so I think maybe you are not so credible .

Former Nexus 5 owner here. They don't even give a fuck about those. My N5 developed the underwater recording bug after six months and Google refused to fix it in an update (10+ page long Google Groups threads out there on this topic).

Also the software feature support ends at 18 months. I've seen Touchjizz better supported than that.

>being this Russian
Tell Putin we said hi!

>Look at the v20, that phone retailed for $800 and LG just dropped it without providing 1 major OS upgrade.
Holy fuck this is bad. Like, unacceptably bad.

>that phone retailed for $800 and LG just dropped it without providing 1 major OS upgrade.
This is why I bought an iPhone once my Nexus 5 degraded too much. Give Apple all the crap in the world, but at least they push updates for five years post release. My three year old iPhone 6 just got the new features in iOS 11 for free. Meanwhile, phones like the V20 are effectively $800 bricks a mere six months post purchase.

>installing aftermarket firmware because the OEM fucked up so badly is the expectation now
>implying it has to be this way

Bloat. Hardware is too fast so bloat the code to make the phone obsolete artificially so people buy new ones faster.

>WHAT IS PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE
>WHY DID I LAUGH AT ECONOMICS ELECTABLE

My CS prof said the best thing about bugs:

All software has bugs. Most of them just aren't discovered yet.

Once you accept this, it changes the way you use and write software.

More like
>spend $800 on a phone
>only supported for six months
This is why I buy iPhones.
>tfw my iPhone 6 is still supported

>lagOS
Replace your fucking battery.

Quality of LOS for your phone depends on the quality of the sources for this phone released by the manufacturer. If they are shitty or absent then the manufacturer doesn't care about this phone and your freedoms, therefore this phone is shit.

I went to iOS after trying a droid back in 2011. Wound up returning it within the 30 day window and going back to my old dumb phone, because it sucked so badly. The 4S came out a few months later, and I tried it out I used it until they ceased support, at which point, I got a 6S. I see no reason to ever give android another shot.

It's not a suitable replacement for a computer, but that's not really what I wanted it to be. It's just a tool that allows me to use Signal, check my emails and bank stuff, and lock/unlock my single credit card on the go (unlock credit card, pay, get 1.5% cash back, lock credit card, and immediately bill pay the balance from my checking account - I haven't actually paid for any Christmas presents for years).

Oh, I guess I also have Alto on it, as a time waster when I'm in a waiting room.

Because everytime there's a new competitor in the market you ignore it or shitpost it to death.

Except that doesn't apply to the Android ecosystem you retard. You're basically vendor's bitch and they decide whether you get any updates at all.
Don't like it? Buy a new phone stupid goy. Every two years, because that's what marketing tells us is a good timeframe to cut support to force more sales.
What's worse is that hardware vendors do even worse shit when they make their proprietary drivers available for only a single kernel version, and that's it. Any kernel updates have to be backported by the phone vendor, and they usually do only the barest minimum possible.
Fuck this shit. If there's one good thing about Apple, it's the support lifecycle.

theyve literally done this forever why wuld they stop

or you could use a custom rom once the aosp source is released. BAKA. The galaxy nexus came out on 2011 and it has roms up to android 7

they moved from dalvik to art desu

That worked for me several years ago with Cyanogen, but I don't have time to fuck about with custom roms now.
I got an iPhone SE at work and even though it has lots of flaws, I'm finding it slightly less infuriating. Wouldn't buy any of Apple's new shit, though. It's clear that company is going one way, and that is "marketing and sales at all costs".
My long-term plan so far is to wait for LineageOS to mature a bit and then get a supported phone.

I wish someone would start developing an alternative to android, where are the chinks when you need them

hai thats fair enough i install custom roms for fun but i could see it being a waste of time for a lot of people. It's good you found a dedvice you enjoy desu. I'm pretty sure apple are only going the way they are because consumers dont complain theyll just buy anything with a logo on. Other companies are started to follow suiter and fuck over consumers too it's stupid. That would be good it sucks cyanogen starteed doing dodgy shit i think it was better than lineage currently is it's still pretty usable on aa lot of devices though.

Citation needed.

Don't buy phones with locked bootloaders and install LineageOS or some other custom ROM. Do some research.

If you can't do that just buy a gayPhone.

why do they need to redesign everything? and not just use a package manager system?

I've been on my Xperia Z3 for almost 4 years now and I don't plan on upgrading unless something really bad happens to it.