/pcbg/ - PC Building General: don't go cheap on your cooler edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high-speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tqNP6s
pcpartpicker.com/list/mB87YT
pcpartpicker.com/list/HLbhMZ
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/3890vs3939
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WcNP6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best served hot

>coffeelake

(Re-posting from last thread)

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Quad Core AM4 (100$)
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard ($67)
GPU:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Overclocked WINDFORCE 4GB GDDR5 ($200)
RAM:Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL15 (95$)
PSU:EVGA 450BT 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ($35)
SSD:Kingston A400 120 GB (50$)

Total: $547 (wihout tax)

All from local Microcenter (gonna pick it up when tax returns comes in next week)

Anything you see wrong here /pcbg/? (first Ryzen budget build)

honestly getting the 2200G because the 1200 is actually 10$ more funny enough and i thought getting an extra APU just in case the 1050ti fucks up would be a pretty good fallback plan, will prob look at different motherboards though (or get them to do it in store for me so i can just go home and put it together) not like i cant do it myself, just would be better to do it there and not have to come back if i fucked it up myself

Trying to make a build for a few weeks now, and I keep flip flopping on parts, and leddit isn't helping.

I have a 1060 6GB from a friend, and my budget is ~800-900 for the rest of the parts. Why the fuck does everyone on leddit shill for AMD Ryzen CPUs? I've always had problems with AMD GPU's, as have my friends; with overheating, crashing only after a year; fan issues, compatibility issues, etc. Why the fuck would anyone get an AMD CPU when their track record fucking sucks?

these new apu's seem to actually be worth the price when compared to the fx ones. But if your looking for less amd shilling, then you've come to the worst place. If you already have a 1060 then lets see if i can help you out, looking for intel, or amd?

i need to find a place to get 64gb of ddr3 for under $200
i have the place for ddr2, but ddr3 is preferred.

kek nigga now thats bait

>mfw I didn't fall for the raisin/coffin lake meme

>mfw the ice lake chips will have a consumer 8c/16t cpu with god-tier 5ghz oc

2019-2020 will be a good year, boys

Retard.

This is what I have so far -
pcpartpicker.com/list/tqNP6s - miniatx meme

pcpartpicker.com/list/mB87YT - atx build

Over budget just because I included monitor / keyboard / OS

The one main stipulation with the build is that it needs to be wifi, since I don't have physical access to the router. /r/buildapc freaked the fuck out with the original miniatx build, but I don't give a fuck about overclocking and have no interest in ryzen memes.

>looking for 64 gb ram (ddr3) under $200
Then you'll be looking for a really long time friend.

For virtualization the 1600X still wrecks the 8700K. Thanks Meltdown!

AMD has always done the minimalistic value thing to appeal to budget minded people, and people always cheap out on their parts as well which results in more trash performance.

Its fine for enthusiasts who can maintain their own systems but its bad for people who cant. They also excel at certain tasks due to their structure but they lag behind intel at some other points.

Id say pair that 1060 with a intel i5-8400 / i5-8600k. Its within budget and the performance is undeniable.

uh no nigga

AMD (Ryzen) CPUs and GPUs are not comparable. Leddit actually has been bitching about AMD GPUs since that fiasco with Founder's Edition. /r/AMD regularly recommends nvidia for GPUs while juggling a nostalgia for the HD 8700, FreeSync etc. Hell that subreddit probably came up with "Advanced Mining Devices".

Besides, Intel is for gaming these days because it is now the inferior option for virtualization. Check out articles about EPYC if you don't believe me.

gonna buy this tomorrow, any objections?

If you don't care about overclocking, get the 8400, 6 intel cores make it leagues better than kaby lake i5 while being more or less the same price. I went for 8600k, bc I cared about overclocking, total beast btw, but whatever I digress.
I personally have never seen many complaints from corsair psu's
Also just buy a $15 windows 10 product key and your set
pcpartpicker.com/list/HLbhMZ

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/3890vs3939

Looking good Bernd

t. Lisa Su

citation needed

Bernd?
Elaborate on who that is please friend , but thank you

Where i get a 15 key?

You could skip the 1050Ti and save up for a 1080, but that's really up to you user.

You might want to consider DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3000 RAM. Benchmarks have shown faster RAM aids Zen cores.

Just about to purchase this
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WcNP6s
for a gaming rig.
Already have the 1080 ti 11GB and Asus PG279Q

Can anyone critique it?

>the 5%

nice meme

> nice meme

how so?

timestamp with post # with 1080ti right now or gtfo

It would be cheaper to fly to the US, stay in a motel, order the parts and ship to the motel, and then put the parts on your carry-on and return home then it would be to buy them from AUS retailers.

I"m at work, but here's a snip from the order

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WcNP6s
>32 gb ram
>$250 mobo
>jesus that psu

Get faster RAM m8. Consider getting Gskill or Corsair too, they're usually cheaper than Kingston with no noticeable difference. At least 3000MHz, I say. Don't be afraid to downgrade to CL16, Ryzen thrives on high frequencies.
Also, consider not getting a GPU at all, to begin with. The integrated Vega is actually quite good and should run everything on Low at good framerates (1080p). You can always grab a GPU later if you need more power.
I'd also get an SSD from maybe Crutial or some better brand, Kingstons have had problems in the past, would avoid.

Finally, don't forget that your board will need to be updated to boot that CPU, so ask your shop if they'll do it for you, odds are you probably don't have another AM4 chip lying around.
Good luck.

It's going to cost $500 or more and probably draw 1kW from the wall at 5GHz.

top fucking kek

Yeah but time is money nigger. And I can get my work to pay for it all. So as long as I don't go stupid, money isn't a big factor.

Does this build look appropriate and what might you change?
Looking to drive an ASUS pg279q (already owned). 1440p 144hz, in Witcher 3 for example (maybe not 144 fps but you get the idea). Also maybe mining crypto in downtime?
Not sure on the PSU, only used Corsair in the past, which worked great.
Also heard that Noctua D15 is surpassed by the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT (literally who?), but not when overclocking? Is this accurate or should I stick with Noctua (currently using a NH-U12P, it's always been quiet and I like it).
I'm not necessarily looking to "future-proof" but I would like to get as much life out of these parts as I can.
Thanks

>"dont go stupid"

>lives in the shithole that is aus.

try again chucklefuck

Don't 4TB drives have higher failure rates? I'd look that up. Might want to get 2x2TB if that's the case.

stick with noctua
go for the ryzen 1700/1700x

Actually I underestimated the price, the 7820X costs $600, so an 8 core consumer chip will probably be $575.

i would skip but honestly every time if save up and have enough money for a whole build, the money would get taken away by a random car part being needed or somthing needing my money in general, its like badluck, so ill get this for now and sell it to a friend down the line for MSRP or cheaper, because those prices are terrible, and ill look more into ram thanks a bunch
gonna look at faster ram friend thanks aswell, gonna switch out the SSD too, i was ify on getting Kingston but didnt know if i was just paranoid or not, and yeah i planned on asking them to update it for me or if i could somehow borrow a used cpu and update it in the store with them

I already bought the mobo
2x2TB is a bit more expensive but I'll check out failure rates, thanks

Dude, this is totally future proof. The noctua is fine all things considered.

Can't decide Sup Forums.

Thinking of getting ASUS VN248H-P or Asus VC239H. Any one have either of these 2 monitors?

Which one is newer tech? Is 1" really a big difference with screen real estate (programming/reading/light gaming)?

Halp.

Who the fucks buy be quiet or noctua stuff? Their logo and product design are just horrible.

Why is every youtuber shilling for them so hard?

oh yeah, totally forgot to ask: which edition of W10 is the least cancer? I read one person's post about forced updates even though they disabled them through the registry.
I guess I could purchase another copy of W7 but they'll stop supporting it soon, right?

Thank you!

What size monitor are you using right now?
Don't know which one is newer, but looks like an extra $10 gets you another inch. When you're programming how do you organize your windows? 1" probably isn't a big difference but it might be to you, especially if you use a whole bunch of windows at once.

You can get a Pro key off of Kinguin for like $30.

>PC as I currently have it set up is over $6000
>still need to upgrade my 2 monitors

I feel like getting dual 1440p144hz IPS G-Sync would be stupid since I'll never put a game on the secondary monitor. Might just get a tilty monitor and an ultrawide or some shit.

>need internet drivers on built pc, literally the last step
>plug usb into laptop
>lights up, shows up in devices, can browse the files I put on it that I think are the right drivers for built pc
>plug usb into built pc
>lights up, but does not show up in devices. cannot find it at all
>keyboard and mouse work on built pc
What's going on? How do I fix it? Parts are pic related but windows 7(I know this build might seem "old" by Sup Forums standards had someone make it for me in the past)

They are the traditional neckbeard route.

NO RGB FOR THEM

Uh, your PC/windows should have rudimentary drivers built in already.

It doesn't have a network adapter. Sorry, I used the wrong word
>"windows could not find a driver for your network adapter"

Ethernet port built into the motherboard's not good enough?

>>G4560

ebay you stingy jew

"miniatx" the first one because it appears to cost a bit less and the case is from a better company. when it comes to cases the sketch brands are more often than not shit to work with.

btw why not pirate windows and use it till it breaks? could potentially save you some money there. not sure is true but i heard some win 7/8 keys worked at one point. if you have an old cd key you should try that with an installer from a legit source.

cooler seems a bit overkill and pricey but i am biased towards big block coolers because they are more reliable and failsafe and i dont have to yank out fans pre installed in the case to mount it.

where do you get a legit key for 15$?

why do you need a 1tb M2 drive? and why do you need 2 M2 drives? why not replace the big fucker with a 2.5 SSD with the same capacity for almost half that cost?

i think it looks good

plug the usb into a 2.0 port if you havent already and if that doesnt work its probably cause you need to install the chipset drivers before the other shit works in windows.

download all the board and NIC drivers and/or installers to another (functioning) computer and then plug in your boot SSD and copy the drivers to a random folder in the boot SSD. transfer the boot SSD back and run windows and just navigate to that folder and launch the installers or whatever.

alternately there are some winPE and linux live cds that will work with generic drivers and you can copy the drivers from your usb to your main SSD without swapping the SSD into another machine to do a file copy and then you can boot windows and run the driver installers from the same drive it just booted from.

Why can't people just appreciate the stylish part of building a PC?

Its all "hurr durr lmao y u buin rgb ram? what next rgb power supply???? lmao".

Intel CPUs use thermal paste, their CPUs run hot and are currently vulnerable to Meltdown

Ryzen CPUs are soldered and will last a much longer time since it can handle heat much more efficiently

If you enjoy getting jewed go with Intel, if you want a processor built with quality in mind, go with AMD

Can you really blame them? 580s for $400+, Vega for over $1000

Nobody in their right mind would recommend an AMD GPU at this point since miners gobble them up and drive the prices to absolutelt insane levels

Would be perfect with another monitor.

Whish there were XXL RGB mouse pad.

Cause neckbeards user. Performance over appearance.

I wish my rig looked like that. Sexy af

>their logo is bad

Dude your priorities

Right now I'm trying to replicate something like pic related (saw a really simplistic purple battlestation that made me fell in love, only remember it had a cactus).

Also, how big should my desk be? Going to go to IKEA tomorrow to buy the desk.

>Not shredding some extra bucks to RGB jew to have a piece of junk that atleast its pleasing to look at.

Dude your priorities.

Shit I am in the wrong RGB coolers are vastly superior

>pleasing to look at
>in a metal box under my desk
>mattering
It could be vividly fucking pink for all I care. Find me a hunk of metal capable of cooling my housefire 9370 running at 5 ghz for 50 bucks other than my d15. You're not going to. This fucking thing killed an AIO watercooler by evaporating everything in it and fucking the motor under normal use.

Hey /pcbg/, I just bought this:

16 gb ram 2133 mhz hyperx
I7 7700k
EVGA 1080

Did I screw up? Will this be fine for 1080p 60hz gaming for at least a few years?

>7700k
I have no problem with that, but prepare yourself for the copious amount of autism that will aimed squarely at you

God damn that shit is fucking ugly.

Why can't they just paint their shit in black?

They sell black fans... separately.

>ram doesn't have heatsinks

Pi and HTPC fanatics are awful too. Whenever someone buys some nice brushed aluminum AV receiver or other media equipment you get legions of people screaming how they should just use a Raspberry Pi instead. Sure, you can put your Pi in a box of cardboard and call it a day, it would be cheaper, but that's missing the point.

if you prefer a workspace where your main rig resides on the floor its pretty much pointless and frivolous to spend extra time and money.

Tips on going for a purple comfy set up for comfy nights playing comfy games alone?

White desk or black desk? 2 or 3 monitors? Some good looking quiet cpu coolers?

Isn't the airflow worse if you put your PC on the floor?

why the fuck is there a huge ass clock when there's already a clock in the taskbar?

Should I, Sup Forums?

It's 8700k btw.

The unironic irony of this post is so funny

easier to look at?

Because it's like vogue and classy

people stare at the desktop often?

yeah man save 50 cents

Sometimes you need 5 mins off doing nothing after you play too much or shitpost too much.

Put some chill music and stare at some good wallpaper, extra point if its some WPE (no anime shit). Try it, its pretty relaxing.

>user what time is it?
>Alright time to check the clock
>Let me just get ready and get real up close to the monitor to see!
>goddamn this is so hard I give me a minute
>hrrmmphhh
>user WHAT IS THE TIME
>I got it it's 6pm goddamn I wish I had 120 don't size clock on my desktop

???

>fell for AIO WC meme

>beQuiet silentloop 240mm
>Upgraded after coolermaster 240 pump made noises 3 days in
>Runs just as warm, OC i7-860 (2.8GHz) to 3.5GHz , idle temp is 12°C above the temp at the front of the case.
>Tried OC to 4GHz, idle temp is 20°C above front or case, idling between 50-55. Sits at 90° under load.

Thought I could get some performance out of this, but it performs the same as a piped heatsink. Should've got a DH15 for half the price

Probably pasta but AIOs are all aluminum and inherently limited by it compared to copper rads.

Too bad nobody told you that AIO are memetier though right xDDD or else you wouldn't buy it am I right xDDD ????

Not pasta

Haven't been on here in a while, start browsing again after I purchased parts. Should've lurked first

>When you are too cheap to even hire someone to make you a fucking logo.

This has been known for 10 fucking years

Remember what happened when corsair made a logo for their gaming peripherals ? Some times just let it be

If I follow the build from Pauls Hardware recent "How to build a $500 gaming pc" video, can i use the r5 2400g I got as a gift in place of the r3 he uses in the video?

Also am I going to have to worry about updating the bios on the Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI AM4 B350 Mini ITX Motherboard, that he suggests?

>>>/reddit/

I can get Asus Hero z370 for 8700k. Should I?

>500

Shit budget

outdated in 4 years.

Invest more in your hobbies poorfag.

Yes it will work. As for the mobo ask your retailer if they are already updated, if not ask if they can update the bios for you.