What is the point of using Linux? WHat can it do that WIndows can't? Is it just because it's free...

What is the point of using Linux? WHat can it do that WIndows can't? Is it just because it's free? I think Linux is the soyboy choice for an OS

Btw I am posting this from Ubuntu, which looks like crap

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Package manager
functional terminal
normal tools out of the box (sed, awk, etc.)
Sane file system (modifying and deleting files while they're open for example)

That's just a few. Seems like you're just a retard that doesn't know how to use your OS. Let us know when you move beyond ubuntu.

>what is chocolatey?
>what is power shell?
>what is vbscript?
>what is consistency?

>What is the point of using Linux
freedom, quality, security, privacy, autism.
>WHat can it do that WIndows can't
Not spy on you. Be used as an actually decent server. Have a sane update system. Be better for programming.
>Is it just because it's free
Yes and no. It's because it's free as in freedom. The price is a big plus, but I would pay for Linux if there was no other option.
>I think Linux is the soyboy choice for an OS
nah that's MacOS
>Btw I am posting this from Ubuntu, which looks like crap
subjective

shit repository
powershell sucks
vbscript sucks
That's not consistency, that's retarded WIN API shit that locks all your files for exclusive access by default.

>Consistency
>Windows

Pick one

>vbscript sucks
truth. My father works in I.T., and the company he works for is actively trying to get rid of all their VBScript shit in favor of Python.

Hello pajeet how many times are you going to do anti linux threads?

>this damage control
>linux is just like windows goys!
>ur the soybeans! ;^)
>ubantu sux!
ok kiddo

Why do you care what people use, and why does it hurt your feelings, OP. Have you taken too much estrogen today?

>OS: linux
ok

how many more anti linux threads today?

Fight me, faggot.

what distro?

first of all: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

a parting note: sage all fields

I GNU/linux. There's not much you need to know besides that. People always sperg over distros, so my computer has 10 4tb HD's with separate distros (Fedora, Arch, Ubuntu, Gentoo) installed. I also have an HD for windows because work. :(

Because I like how easy it is to customize my system how I want and how simple it is to make my computer do what I want it to. I like how open linux is with respect to hardware access. Everything shows up in /dev/, /sys/, and /proc/ and I can access it and play with it reasonably simply. It's absolutely trivial to get things like my battery percentage, thermal information, network statistics, memory usage, etc. I enjoy the flexibility that linux permits me. Debian is free, stable, and has excellent software support (shit, most Ubuntu software works out of the box on Debian). I can create network namespaces to allow me to isolate software on my machine. In practical terms, this means that I can run Virtualbox or other software in a namespace and force all traffic through a VPN, while shitposting outside of that VPN. I can trivially create tun/tap adapters and play with software defined networking.

I like linux because it's fun, flexible, and does exactly what I need. Can you do half that shit on windows as simply as you can on any modern version of the linux kernel? And no, using the linux kernel from within windows doesn't count.

yuck lol

Posting 10 anti linux threads per hour isn't gonna teach you how to install an OS properly. Get lost losers

Independent auditing of source code
;)

Why would the NSA care about what a bunch of neckbeards do with their computers

Shit get really undoable/expensive as soon you're talking about large scale or embedded computing.
The mere idea of a windows super computer is just hilarious.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Professional company using VBScript for anything other than internal microsoft interprogram automation LOL

fight me bish

Why would someone want to use commands in order to install something instead of just running an installer like normal people do

Because we can. Why do people like you care so much about someone else's preferences?

>not using (neo)vim
Neck yourself

see
Its like you nu/g/ fags need uniformity to feel special.

>WHat can it do that WIndows can't?
Allow you to compile it all from source, review the source yourself, and make any changes you want to it. It's also reasonably secure, doesn't force updates down your throat, and isn't restricted to a specific kind of hardware. It'll run on anything from an obscure MIPS toaster from 1999 to a modern POWER9 server. The rule is that if the device has unlocked boot firmware, you can install Linux on it. I've used it on a Galaxy S5, ThinkPads, PowerMacs, SGI workstations, and even a PlayStation2. There's no hardware can't run it. I have complete control over what's running on my machines, and it doesn't eat up a significant amount of my time because I'm an experienced user and I have lots of things memorized and automated. What can Winshit do that Linux can't? Play games? Who gives a fuck? I'll just go use the PS4 in my living room for that.

>I think Linux is the soyboy choice for an OS
If I had a dollar for every opinion that weak, dickless retards threw at me, I'd be a billionaire.

>Google to find installer
>Have to wade through ads and virus links for what you believe is a safe exe (you can never really know)
>Let this installer take full control of your system and install whatever it wants

Or

>sudo apt get whateveryouwant
>downloads from trusted source of audited code maintained by actual people
>only installs what you want
>always asks you before installing additional dependencies

Honest answer from an old man. Linux, with a GNU user land, gave me tools comparable to the ones available at the CS depatrtment's UNIX lab that I could run on my cheap 386 processor based personal computer. That let me do more with less. It let me work at home without spending all my time cursing a 2400 baud connection to the lab systems; it let me work on my own schedule, not the school's; it let me have a portable workstation, when a lug-able UNIX box was well outside my means. Even now, decades later, I only run Windows or OSX when someone is paying me to run them.

Because hardening their systems means making other systems hard as well.

I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04. I find myself only ever switching to the Windows side to play games.

Linux is extremely convenient, it's responsive, it's customizable, and it just feels good to use.

Have used Linux for 10 years now... Linux is getting better, better hardware support. But GNU is getting worse and worse every year.
At current state of GNU I'm fucking ready to pay 120$ to Pajeet inc. for OS, because I am sick of shit. Shit overwrites fucking UEFI, so I have to fucking flash with JTAG, memory consumption is total meme...

linux just werks, I can install whatever I need with one command, edit any config with a simple file, works with minimal resources, more intuitive since I can pretty much just type whatever I want and it works without having to memorize what buttons do what

GNU is shit.
The most popular Linux distro is GNU-free.

>OS:Linux
What?

And man, I love what you've done to xfce. I've just started using Debian on xfce and this looks great.

Thanks! Debian is amazing. I love it's stability.

Well it allows you to be free of spyware and adware for one thing. It also has a 100 times better terminal, better filesystem, better performance, package manager, less bloat, and is general much better for software development.

(You)

>Alpine
>most popular
lol

>Cohcolatey
Shit
>Power shell
Shit
>VBSScript
This is bait
>Consistency
Do you know what a windows is?

>Windows comes with WSUS, Group Policy, WDS, and MDT etc. for free
>Only way to manage a large number of Linux servers is with expensive third party tools

>shit repository
>powershell sucks
>vbscript sucks

Not an argument

>VBSScript
Found the NEET

Android, you dumb ass.

>!= NULL
>!= NULL)
>else if single statement w/ no brackets
>else statement w/ brackets
>if brackets begin on newline
>while and function brackets start on same line
You're hella inconsistent, my dude. Whats up with the char*
Is this C? Sepples?

>Windows
>Free
Retard alert

>sudo apt get $package
>package not in default repo
>can't find what repo contains the package
>ask on forums, get told to rtfm
>ask on IRC, get told to rtfm
>documentation says 'install $package'
>find repo 2 weeks later
>hasn't been actively maintained since 2014
>not compatible with newer versions of dependencies

or

>authorize this repo user, it'll be fine
>get owned

shit that never happened

Ur missing a comma

Windows licensing is nominal vs paying tens of thousands for Puppet Enterprise

>I don't like it so I'm just going to say it never happens

Holy shit actually all that code is a mess.

Go on, tell me the exact name of the program.

cmder + bash is a good combination if you can stand its sluggishness.

Agreed. Nigga should unironically use an IDE.

>Have to wade through ads and virus links for what you believe is a safe exe (you can never really know)
By that logic, how do you know the ISOs on your favorite distro's mirrors haven't been tampered with?

ccminer

>how to know if your iso isn't tampered with
So have winbabies not heard about something called hashing?

>Not spy on you.
For the moment. Ubuntu just added a nice phone home feature that all the Ubuntu forks will likely inherit.

So apparently winbabies don't know how to download source code and compile them manually. They can only cry for finished compiled exes that end up installing viruses on their ultimate light up rig

It would be trivial to change the hashes on the website after replacing the ISOs

>what is building from source
>what is opening up isos to check the inside

Yeah. Let some basement deller's install.sh shit up your filesystem with files your package manager doesn't know about. Good luck uninstalling it if you decide you don't like the program.

>group policy for free
Winbabies don't even know their own os well.

Go read the source code for systemd and demonstrate to me that it's safe to run.

>i talk about compiling
>winbabies say that the install.sh comes with viruses
THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF WINTODDLERS

Group policy is included in Windows...

First of all, go find microsoft's source code and tell me it's safe to run. Oh wait, you can't. At least linux users have tens of thousands of dedicated users constantly looking over the source code of major projects.

>THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF WINTODDLERS
When did I say anything about malware?

>ubuntu == linux
As of a few years ago, ubuntu has become shit.

What's wrong with systemd?

You literally said there would be files you don't know about from linux install.sh files. I'm pretty sure you were hinting at viruses fucktard.

My lord. You fixed it. THANK YOU user.

Fuck you.
Fuck you too.
I learn without an IDE.

You suck at reading comprehension.

What shell scripts have you been using? I've installed docker, asterisk, freepbx, virtualbox utils with no negative affect on my package manager. Stranger danger with shell scripts, nic.

>wintoddler can't think of responses
>cries and scream you suck at reading comprehension
Alright, kiddo. Point to an example please.

Lol, chill, nig. You're inconsisent. I use vim. I like it. You rack the disciprine for coding well. You left parens opened and shit. You should really use an IDE to get used to writing better code.

Joe Ossanna ported nroff from the PDP to C, then he died in 1977. The greatest minds in software engineering have looked at Ossanna's code and to this day no one knows how it works. Obfuscated code is a thing.

I said files your PACKAGE MANAGER doesn't know about. There's pretty big difference between what I actually said and what you think I said.

And what percentage of linux programs are obfuscated at the source code level ? Plus, you do realize the major projects have thousands of people going through them trying to improve it?

Since the package manager isn't aware of what you manually installed, keeping everything updated and playing nicely with dependencies becomes a pain in the ass.

At this point, you aren't even fucking making sense. The sh files are scripts that can be edited with simple text editors. If you don't know where a file is, open the installer script. It's not copy and create unknown files out of thin air once you read over it. They are fucking shell scripts afterall.

Fair enough. I'll try one. How about C lion?

>It's not copy and create unknown files out of thin air once you read over it
I never said that you dense motherfucker.

Oh, ah okay. See what you mean. I use debian; so far, everything has been pretty stable for me.

I have compiled things from source, but I try to avoid it.

Unironically, sublime or something like notepad++. I haven't used c lion, so I can't comment. Just use something that's comfy and can correct you realtime. Gcc pisses me off when I miss one little thing.

I've only had to do this with openssl. But I don't mind letting docker and asterisk do it for me.

I know you never said that winbaby. Clearly, you have an issue with reading comprehension. I said that shell scripts once read through don't create files in magical locations you can't find. That means you should always be able to reverse the installation process and delete the files in other locations. Too bad a lot of window installers don't give you this ability.

What's with all the Sup Forums and /trash/ crossover on Sup Forums?
Are we really just degenerates parading as tech support?

forgot to post pic :^)

>Sup Forums
>complaining about anime.
>on an image board
>That roots in anime
>about anime
newfags need to die.

fuck off furnigger

>this is me.
I-i only watch anime ironically, i swear!